• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter's back, alright!

On 5/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, WhiteGhost said:

SWING FLIIIIP!!!  Nice!

How'd that work out for you? :P 

Thanks! :D 

LOL it went well, I was feeling pretty wrecked. 

15 hours ago, zenLara said:

Uh-oh.

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at this :D

I do see the comedy in it. And the irony that while I was helping my friend with her very real existential crisis I was having my own not so real crisis. :P  

13 hours ago, @mu said:

Smooth back flip! Very assassin-y. I'm sure if I tried I'd end up with the swing landing on my head no matter what :D

Backbending vid cracked me up :lol: 

Very good week hey

Thanks! I was having that same concern haha, but somehow I managed to avoid it. :P 

I have to say it was indeed a very nice return from vacation. :) 

• Like 1

So I don't know if you remember but a whiiile back I had a little... incident... and spilled wine on my laptop. A lot of wine. At the time I cleaned it up as best as I could and let it dry and then put it on the shelf out of sight because I didn't want to deal with it and I've been using my work laptop privately since then. Well, because of this collaboration we're starting I finally had to face the music and as I suspected my laptop is royally fucked. So I spent most of the day figuring out what to get and being sad about the many, many monies I had to spend haha.

Morning movement - Yes

Biked to the computer shop and walked back. My face felt sandblasted from the wind lol.

Do MOAR things - Yes

More token Finnish. 

Spent some time reading the backend code for the new project. There's a fair amount of stuff in there and it's written in go which I'm not used to so I didn't manage to get through very much.

Positive actions

• Bike ride + long walk home
  • Channeled @raptron and tried to be a good human. I went to the climbing gym, not to climb, but to hang out with a friend that's had kidney stone related complications => multiple hospital visits, much pain and no climbing. He's alright but in need of hugs so I provided.
  • Finally dealt with the computer situation and ordered a new one
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Finally dealt with the computer situation and ordered a new one

I need a new computer too... What did you get?

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I need a new computer too... What did you get?

A new iMac, nothing fills me with more self loathing then giving Apple my money, but alas they're still just so much nicer...

• Like 1

Morning movement - No

I got to the office in my workout clothes and everything but then I got stuck drinking coffee and chatting in the kitchen. :hopelessness: 

6N8H.gif

Honestly the rest of the work day pretty much continued in that vein.

Do MOAR things - Yes

• 5 minutes of token Finnish. 

Positive actions

• Did a lot of adulting yesterday, forgot about this yesterday but I think it deserves to get on this list today because chores are the worst. :P 
  • Spent a bit of time looking at the new project stuff at work. Now that I committed to it I'm getting antsy to get started but now I have to sit and wait for my computer. :sorrow:
  • Called my mum
  • Parkour! My first term is officially over. And it ended on a really, really nice outdoor session, I enjoyed it so much. We did a lot of stuff
    • Warm up including the same rail balance that we did last time that I was too scared to stand up properly on. But I did it today and walked on it as well. I didn't quite manage to turn though.
    • Pop vaults, I managed one that felt particularly efficient which was super nice. Also worked on doing the final bit of the climb up efficiently, basically you're in a support hold, then flick one leg behind you to get the hips really high and then you can place the feet in-between your hands. It feels like I understand the movement, but the timing is tricky.
    • A nice little line that ended up in a pretty committing pre. It was about the max distance I could jump on level ground but off of a height and across some bushes, and I kept bailing over and over again and landing right before the edge. On my final attempt the teacher was staring at me to make sure I committed haha, and it did work! I also fell on my butt into the bushes. :lol: Which I'm actually really happy about because it's the first time I've done that and I think that bailing and learning how to bail well is so fundamental to parkour. And if you don't get comfortable with bailing you'll never be able to fully commit. So yay for failing! And committing!
    • As an aside - I had been eyeing up that particular spot for a while now, but it's right in front of a super market which makes it a little awkward. But I'm glad we went there now because it will be impossible to train there soon when the plants have grown large. Just need to make sure to nail my jump before that happens! :D 
    • A few random challenges - one where we had to get over two obstacles as quietly as possible, which was made harder because the obstacles were covered in a metal surface which made them very loud.
    • The second task was to get descend from a wall that was maybe 2.5 meters up. That part was fine, but to get up to the wall we had to walk along a ledge and since the ground wasn't even the effective drop ended up much higher on one side, perhaps up to 4 meters or so. Now the ledge was absolutely fine to walk along, I could walk very comfortably exactly the same as I normally walk. And yet about 2/3 up I could feel my body reacting to the height and tensing up ever so slightly. I find it so fascinating that it does that even when it's perfectly safe, all it has to do is keep doing what it's already doing. I didn't even feel any fear, my legs would just get a little stiff and my movement a bit weird on their own and I had to force them to relax and behave naturally. So weird!
    • The third little move was a really fun and swishy move where you swing over a rail while pushing on a wall. I know the description doesn't make sense, you'll just have to trust me that it was cool. ;) (When my teacher does it)
    • Super short conditioning of cat hang pulls and broad jumps
  • Like 7

How is the language for these group classes? Are they in English or at least someone will explain things to expats in English? Or your "token 5 minutes of Finnish" is frantically memorizing the Finnish for essentials such as "vault!" and "shin"?

2 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

How is the language for these group classes? Are they in English or at least someone will explain things to expats in English? Or your "token 5 minutes of Finnish" is frantically memorizing the Finnish for essentials such as "vault!" and "shin"?

The parkour class is in English which is awesome! The acro class is mostly in Finnish and then he'll explain in English afterwards. Which is... ok, but it would be nice to understand the rest of what he's saying too. At the moment I'm only doing really basic Finnish 101 stuff, mostly on memrise as it requires near zero effort. But then one day when/if I feel like it my plan is to make an acro vocab list as you said. With a bit of rudimentary grammar so I know whether the shin should be going up or down. :P 

And honestly if I could just get to that stage I'd be happy. This is about the only situation that motivates me to learn, everywhere else English works great so my overall motivation is pretty low. But learning even a little could perhaps save me from google translate situations like this:

"In the morning robotic classes, you practice a variety of bubble drills, cart bikes and armor movements."

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sounds like a nice social day in the office at least! And good on you being there for your climbing friend - sometimes I feel like giving a hug to a friend in need is one of the most gratifying feelings. :)

That parkour class sounds great

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The third little move was a really fun and swishy move where you swing over a rail while pushing on a wall. I know the description doesn't make sense, you'll just have to trust me that it was cool. ;) (When my teacher does it)

I'm sure when you do it it is cool too, even if it doesn't feel cool yet.   

I am trying to picture the move and have imagined a few possibilities that it could be.  One is almost like a cross between a kong and a side hand spring, where you dive against the wall and push yourself back down with you legs on the other side.  Idea two is like a kong but instead of both hands on the rail, one hand is on the rail and the other on a wall and your legs go between them.  Idea three is like a speed vault but you reach up over your head and push against a wall with your free hand while your legs go over the rail on the opposite side.

Do any of those sound close?

On 5/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Channeled @raptron and tried to be a good human. I went to the climbing gym, not to climb, but to hang out with a friend that's had kidney stone related complications => multiple hospital visits, much pain and no climbing. He's alright but in need of hugs so I provided

D'AWWW!!! Yay for being a friend!

What a good parkour session.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Mad Hatter said:

This is about the only situation that motivates me to learn, everywhere else English works great so my overall motivation is pretty low.

So all the admin stuff, paper work, grocery shopping etc can be done in English? That's cool. Our English-speaker neighbour struggles quite a bit here especially when it comes to paper work and that sort of thing. It's all in French and people don't necessarily speak in English. If anything they might actually be annoyed if you don't address them in French (public services I mean).... Whereas I don't know, in Iran, people don't expect you to speak Persian, they will try to help. And if you manage to speak in Persian, they love you :D 

Talking about Iran, when are the snippets coming? :D Since harassment was encouraged ;)

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, Mad Hatter said:

A new iMac, nothing fills me with more self loathing then giving Apple my money, but alas they're still just so much nicer...

People still by desktop computers? :P Just kidding, I know they still sell well enough. But personally I'm looking for a laptop... A friend has the latest MacBook Pro, but he's not too thrilled about the jet plane, err, I mean fan, built in to it :D 

It's good to be a provider of hugs! :) And I feel you on the apple stuff..

Loved that dead pool pole video.. and didn't she do that fish flip thing you'd been learning right at the start??

15 hours ago, @mu said:

So all the admin stuff, paper work, grocery shopping etc can be done in English? That's cool. Our English-speaker neighbour struggles quite a bit here especially when it comes to paper work and that sort of thing. It's all in French and people don't necessarily speak in English. If anything they might actually be annoyed if you don't address them in French (public services I mean).... Whereas I don't know, in Iran, people don't expect you to speak Persian, they will try to help. And if you manage to speak in Persian, they love you :D 

Really, the French are soooo bad about that.. they're practically infamous for it. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, Mad Hatter said:

My first term is officially over.

But that doesn't mean it's over, right?

On 5/9/2019 at 5:19 AM, KB Girl said:

and didn't she do that fish flip thing you'd been learning right at the start??

I noticed that too, and it made me smile 

On 5/7/2019 at 12:17 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Sounds like a nice social day in the office at least! And good on you being there for your climbing friend - sometimes I feel like giving a hug to a friend in need is one of the most gratifying feelings. :)

True :) 

On 5/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, WhiteGhost said:

That parkour class sounds great

I'm sure when you do it it is cool too, even if it doesn't feel cool yet.   

I am trying to picture the move and have imagined a few possibilities that it could be.  One is almost like a cross between a kong and a side hand spring, where you dive against the wall and push yourself back down with you legs on the other side.  Idea two is like a kong but instead of both hands on the rail, one hand is on the rail and the other on a wall and your legs go between them.  Idea three is like a speed vault but you reach up over your head and push against a wall with your free hand while your legs go over the rail on the opposite side.

Do any of those sound close?

It really is! Though I really don't think anything looks cool yet. :D It takes time to get things nice and smooth. My teacher is so smooth and flowy in her movements, it's really nice to watch. But then she's been doing it for 10 years, so... ;) 

Hmm something like the third is probably the closest, though we did it as a step vault. Then the legs first swing between the wall and the rail and then over the rail on the opposite side.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, raptron said:

D'AWWW!!! Yay for being a friend!

What a good parkour session.

:) 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, @mu said:

Talking about Iran, when are the snippets coming? :D Since harassment was encouraged ;)

Admin stuff and grocery shopping is in Swedish as it's the second official language. Face to face I've been finding that English works much more often than Swedish, so I default to that. It depends a little on the age the person and also location though. 

Aaaaaah soon??? Ok by the end of the challenge, promise!

On 5/8/2019 at 8:52 AM, Tobbe said:

People still by desktop computers? :P Just kidding, I know they still sell well enough. But personally I'm looking for a laptop... A friend has the latest MacBook Pro, but he's not too thrilled about the jet plane, err, I mean fan, built in to it :D 

Haha fair point. I had a laptop but I literally never traveled with it, so I didn't see a point in paying extra for portability that I never use. Plus I need a bigger monitor anyway and monitor + laptop > iMac $$$. 

It's not a good time to buy macMooks right now, better to wait to see what the new ones are like. Though I doubt it will be quieter if you push it hard. :P For me it was only a problem when playing games and running couchbase server locally though.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:19 AM, KB Girl said:

It's good to be a provider of hugs! :) And I feel you on the apple stuff..

Loved that dead pool pole video.. and didn't she do that fish flip thing you'd been learning right at the start??

Yes it is! It's actually a very common exotic pole move.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, zenLara said:

But that doesn't mean it's over, right?

NOOOOOO of course not! I love it way too much to stop!

• Like 1

So I dropped off a bit this week. Basically I've been on coding binges, learning go and playing with front end stuff at work, and since Friday I've been playing on my new computer, set up my dev environment and reading code for this new project, and also testing how much I could push games. ;) 

Fitness has been embarrassingly low. On Friday I went to the office gym because I had excess energy, but I only managed to do an extended warm up before I had to go home and wait for the UPS guys. :P (Who incidentally never bothered to go up to my house, but left my computer at the closest delivery point. Luckily it 30s away from me otherwise it would've been a pain in the ass to carry) On the plus side, while short it was a great little cardio warmup. For me. The convo went something like this

Friend: Oh no, you're all hyper today, does that mean you're going to do ridiculous things in the corridor?

Me: YES, what a great idea! Let's do AAAALL the jumps and animal walks! Wheeeee!

Friend: *Dies* This is a warmup????

Me: Byeeee! Gotta go! Go do your squats.

And that pretty much sums up my training last week. :wacko:

I feel like it's going to be crucial to figure out a way to manage computer/code binge time in the coming weeks so I don't screw up my sleep/training/eating/brain etc. Just not sure how yet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Friend: *Dies* This is a warmup????

Me: Byeeee! Gotta go! Go do your squats.

You're so so cruel :D 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, zenLara said:

You're so so cruel :D 

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, @mu said:

I thought you might indeed  be busy nearing some event horizon :D

I'm still dreaming about the one magic day where I will find balance in life. ;) 

• Haha 1

Yesterday I went to the gym in the morning and literally did squats and deadlifts and nothing else because I got distracted by people. Again. :P I'll need to start going to the gym earlier haha.

After work I spent a few hours at a cafe with my friend discussing the project. :) I'm pretty excited about starting on something where I really feel like I have control over everything. Think it's going to be good! 

-------

Today I woke up before 4 am because I got a nosebleed! What the hell!

Then I spent most of the day trying to get the project to run, while doing my actual work on my laptop. The multitasking didn't go so well, but I'm almost ready to start playing with things! 

Again I meant to do something fitnessy, and again I got distracted... This is not a great trend. At least I forced myself out of the house for a short walk, scouting out parkour spots in the process. ;) I really love these long evenings, even if I procrastinate all day I still get to see some light as the sun doesn't set until 10 or so now. But it's really not ideal. I think that doing stuff first thing in the morning is going to be the only realistic option as I tend to get progressively more distracted and/or tired the later it gets.

-------

Side note - myFlex v2 is coming out and I already feel like a slacker and like I've failed all my exams. :sorrow:I'm dreading the reassessment that will almost certainly tell me that things have gotten even worse since last time.

NeedyGrossAntarcticfurseal-small.gif

• Like 3

you've got a lot going on! i know you don't think you do but it sounds like you get mentally or physically exhausted by the end of the day. it's okay if you need to let something go to make room for others (like this fun new big side project :D)

12 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

you've got a lot going on! i know you don't think you do but it sounds like you get mentally or physically exhausted by the end of the day. it's okay if you need to let something go to make room for others (like this fun new big side project :D)

I do get mentally exhausted by the end of the day when I get sucked into coding. :P Physically I'm technically ok, but I just don't have anything left in me to train late. Also I have a habit of doing this:

4b6.jpg

Not just civ, also... well pretty much anything on a computer, once I get going. :D 

Case in point, yesterday at about 5:30 I was chatting with my boss saying "yeah I'm going to go outside too now". 4 hours later, ok NOW I'm going outside. :P 

I do think it's ok to let other things slip, but I really feel so much when I move a lot. Before my trip I was training on average once a day and I felt great! So movement does need to be a priority and that's why I think first thing in the morning is the best bet. Also a strict stop playing on the computer wouldn't hurt.

Either way, these are not real problems, only a matter of scheduling. :) And making sure that I take enough braining breaks!

• Like 5

Heyo, glad to see you're EXCITED about doing coding stuff - I know it's creating other problems, but wanna make sure we celebrate the goodness that is having this problem in the first place!