• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter's back, alright!

It's fun to get energized about stuff at work, even if it means not having the energy for non-work things... hehe. So glad you guys have moved into ALL THE DAYLIGHT hours out of the darkness that is winter. :D 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Side note - myFlex v2 is coming out

After your glowing comments about the program when you first signed up, I have started following her on IG and am on the wait list for this now program when it come out next week.  However, I am still not 100% on board, because while it would always be nice to be more flexible, I am worried about buying another program that isn't going to do much.  Having been using the program for a while, do you think it is worth what it cost you?

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Heyo, glad to see you're EXCITED about doing coding stuff - I know it's creating other problems, but wanna make sure we celebrate the goodness that is having this problem in the first place!

YES!!! The coding side of things is not something I find that interesting, but do I like making stuff. :) And my problems really aren't problems, I'm mostly thinking out loud about how to structure things.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

It's fun to get energized about stuff at work, even if it means not having the energy for non-work things... hehe. So glad you guys have moved into ALL THE DAYLIGHT hours out of the darkness that is winter. :D 

Hehe well the problem is that this project is NOT work related, and I'd much rather do that than my actual work. ;) 

I loooove this period! Sure it messes with my sleep but it's amaaaazing. :D 

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

After your glowing comments about the program when you first signed up, I have started following her on IG and am on the wait list for this now program when it come out next week.  However, I am still not 100% on board, because while it would always be nice to be more flexible, I am worried about buying another program that isn't going to do much.  Having been using the program for a while, do you think it is worth what it cost you?

Umm, well as I said it's been a whiiiile since I did it consistently. :( I do still think that it's an excellent program, both for the exercises and also for the huge amount of information about flexibility training and anatomy. And I'm convinced you'd see progress, as long as you can commit to it. Sorry to say but this is the problem with all flexibility training, progress comes slowly so you really have to train consistently, this program won't change that. ;) However the exercises choices, the mix between active and passive flexibility and that they're tailored for your weaknesses, especially the ones that are not commonly addressed, is truly awesome and the reason why I do think that everyone would see progress on this program. I'm not sure if the FB group will remain free or not, but either way I also get the impression that they're really happy to answer questions and even tweak the program for you if you find something doesn't work. It's about as personalised as it gets without getting private coaching.

Did you ever try any of the exercises on IG? I think that might be a good thing to do before buying the program, because if you hate that type of exercises you'll hate the program. I personally really like that it's a lot more strength focused with only a few long holds which I dislike, but each to their own.

In short, if you can commit to it it's awesome, if not then well... You'll gain some knowledge and understanding about how to progress, but that's it.

So now that I praised it so much again I feel like I should really try and commit to it again. :lol: But in a lot smaller chunks. I mean yes I prefer doing the whole thing in one go because it feels like a nice intense training session, but it's also daunting because it's hard and very time consuming! I should manage one-two module at a time though and doing something >>> nothing. For me it's not even about getting flexible again but to keep my joints happy. Then again I wouldn't mind getting back my old flexibility because right now it's so so very sad. :P 

• Like 5

Oooh man, I feel your pain on that struggle of how to still do *something* for conditioning even if you can't commit to the full-blown training session you'd like to. The struggle is real for us people juggling one too many commitments at all times.

8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Oooh man, I feel your pain on that struggle of how to still do *something* for conditioning even if you can't commit to the full-blown training session you'd like to. The struggle is real for us people juggling one too many commitments at all times.

Heh I feel like this is going to be an eternal struggle. :D 

Just now, Mad Hatter said:

Heh I feel like this is going to be an eternal struggle. :D 

Unless you become incorrigibly lazy. :D

But realistically, yes. Eternal.

4 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Unless you become incorrigibly lazy. :D

I mean I do get those phases too on a semi-regular basis. :D But they usually don't last very long.

57 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hehe well the problem is that this project is NOT work related, and I'd much rather do that than my actual work. ;) 

OOPS. Bad reading comprehension on my part, sorry. Hahah. STILL fun to get sucked into productive things. :D 

57 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

So now that I praised it so much again I feel like I should really try and commit to it again. :lol: But in a lot smaller chunks. I mean yes I prefer doing the whole thing in one go because it feels like a nice intense training session, but it's also daunting because it's hard and very time consuming! I should manage one-two module at a time though and doing something >>> nothing. 

TOTES.

I slept really badly and felt like death in the morning. Again. :( As a consequence I missed the last morning acro class which is very said, but I was actually feeling unwell because of the lack of sleep. Determined to do *something* I thought I'd go to the office gym but it didn't end up a very productive session. I did:

• A few arm balances. My core strength is non-existent compared to before.
  • A few cartwheels.
  • Climbed on the squat rack.
  • A few back spins because the floor is amazingly slippery and I figured out the technique for doing many turns.

Umm. Yeah... I tried? Sort of.

The rest of the day wasn't so bad considering my state.

• We had our first proper picnic lunch! And I convinced one of my colleagues to join me for coffee and gelato instead of going straight back to work haha. It ended up a two hour lunch in the sun - amazing
  • I FINALLY managed to unblock a thing I've been stuck on at work. Not because it's difficult or complex, but because I couldn't decide on what I wanted and how I wanted it done. I don't understand why this even happened but it did.
  • Went on a long walk back from work for a bit more outside time.
  • Called my grandma
  • Decided against starting to play with the project late in the evening, but wait until tomorrow when I'm fresh. ;)

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, raptron said:

OOPS. Bad reading comprehension on my part, sorry. Hahah. STILL fun to get sucked into productive things. :D 

Haha happens. And the project is together with a work colleague. Nobody else at the office knows though. 

Very true, and it doesn't really matter where the productive happen to take place. This one just happens to be a lot shinier than work. ;) 

Oh another semi good thing: My boss is abusing his paternity leave again to go travelling, well this is the bad part. The good part is that I successfully guilt tripped him into doing tasks I really don't want to do before he leaves. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I do think it's ok to let other things slip, but I really feel so much when I move a lot. Before my trip I was training on average once a day and I felt great! So movement does need to be a priority and that's why I think first thing in the morning is the best bet. Also a strict stop playing on the computer wouldn't hurt.

Morning also works best for me. Unless it's a class maybe (because a lot of the drain is mental and the social bit in a class will revive me somewhat). The past week I have been postponing some training sessions to later in the day and it's just too easy to get to the point of "oops will have to skip". First thing in the morning works much better. I need more warmup but the day can start and I don't have to worry about my schedule to make sure I still have enough time to train, it's done, it feels good and I don't have to stress about impromptus coming up.

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

In short, if you can commit to it it's awesome, if not then well... You'll gain some knowledge and understanding about how to progress, but that's it.

Hmmm, thanks that's very helpful and gives me some good things to think about.  I think I usually do OK sticking with things if I can see they are helping, but given how glacial improvements in flexibility are, it might be tough.  That said, I have found that doing some of the exercises she shows on IG have made some meaningful differences (I didn't even know nerve glides were a thing) but I will need to put some thought into it before committing.  Luckily I still have a few days at least.

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh another semi good thing: My boss is abusing his paternity leave again to go travelling, well this is the bad part. The good part is that I successfully guilt tripped him into doing tasks I really don't want to do before he leaves. :lol:

YESSSS. Heheh.

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love when it gets warm enough to eat outside. Glad you've been able to enjoy the sushine

So good! :) 

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Morning also works best for me. Unless it's a class maybe (because a lot of the drain is mental and the social bit in a class will revive me somewhat). The past week I have been postponing some training sessions to later in the day and it's just too easy to get to the point of "oops will have to skip". First thing in the morning works much better. I need more warmup but the day can start and I don't have to worry about my schedule to make sure I still have enough time to train, it's done, it feels good and I don't have to stress about impromptus coming up.

Yep yep, couldn't agree more. The only hard thing is making sure that I go to bed on time! Because if I don't I turn into a zombie and then I don't want to train no matter the time. If I have a class I usually force myself anyway, but if it's in the morning it's really hard for me to muster enough willpower. 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hmmm, thanks that's very helpful and gives me some good things to think about.  I think I usually do OK sticking with things if I can see they are helping, but given how glacial improvements in flexibility are, it might be tough.  That said, I have found that doing some of the exercises she shows on IG have made some meaningful differences (I didn't even know nerve glides were a thing) but I will need to put some thought into it before committing.  Luckily I still have a few days at least.

Let me know if you have more questions!

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Woo for outdoor picnics! Sounds like a delightful way to spend time with colleagues - especially if there's gelato involved!

Can't go wrong with gelato.

4 hours ago, raptron said:

YESSSS. Heheh.

I really am his office wife. :hopelessness:

Ahhh life is so much better after a good sleep!

Again I meant to do something in the morning, but I really wanted to try this one thing. ;) Then I wanted to fix another thing. Took me a whiiile to figure out what was happening and by that time I was already supposed to be doing my actual work. :lol: Oops. It's ok though, I went out for a few hours during the day instead, did some handstands and cartwheels and rolls plus a little bit of jumping practice. My handstands are pretty terrible at the moment, but I did manage one good one just as a person was walking by taking pictures. Score! 

Got in a few more productive hours of work, and instead of starting to tinker with my project at like 8 pm I went for another walk, cooked lunch for tomorrow and even made sure to leave the kitchen in a tolerable state. Good Hatter.

• Like 2

Good Hatter! :D

I think moving even a little bit, during those periods when it's harder to get serious work done, is really valuable. 

20 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Good Hatter! :D

I think moving even a little bit, during those periods when it's harder to get serious work done, is really valuable. 

Couldn’t agree more. :) Doing completely non serious things and calling it training is also pretty fun. ;) 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Good Hatter indeed! And glad you recognize how much better life is while well-rested! :D

Not for the first time... :P 

• Haha 1

Very enjoyable day today, despite waking up 5:30 because the sun is an asshole and my body betrayed me. :P 

The worst part was that my project mate A was already up and WORKING and texting me stuff while I was desperately trying to fall back asleep. I mean how rude is that? Does he have to rub his productivity and morning perkiness in my face? :lol:

Anyways, after an hour I gave up and I ended up going to the office gym early. Did the usual - squats deadlifts, push ups and (banded negative) dips. Simple but intense! I have to say that the simplicity of bare bones strength training is a really enjoyable complement to all the skill work I tend to do. And now that I won't have parkour on Mondays or acro on Wednesday mornings there's no reason to hold back but actually try to put some weight on the bar and really milk those noob gainz. ;) 

I have to admit that the idea that I "should" be able to lift more than I can by now has been popping up now and again, not in a very negative manner but more of a really you can do better manner. And then I have to remind myself that I haven't been lifting very long, I've been suuuuper cautious about keeping volume low, even more cautious about adding weight, and I'm only squatting twice a week and deadlifting once a week, and that's on a good week, I've often had to cut my workouts short. The funny thing is that I don't even know what's reasonable to expect for noob lifters, so these comparisons are with a non-existent baseline! Either way, now with the new class schedule I'm going to push a little harder to see what happens. Should be fun!

Later another picnic lunch followed by gelato happened. Good times!

I had a loooot of energy after work so I walked back home, and on the way I stopped at a café with outdoor seating for an impromptu glass of bubbly. It turned out that there was a guitarist doing a gig there at the same time, but then the audience ended up consisting of... well... me. :D I had a lovely time, I had my wine, and music and we chatted a bunch between songs. He was super awkward and super Finnish and constantly apologized for mistakes he made. It was actually quite endearing, but man do Finns need to learn how to accept compliments with a simple thank you and not shit on their abilities! I know many people struggle with this, but here it's a deeply ingrained cultural thing. It's dumb.

Spent a lovely two hours at the café before heading home and now I'm going to call it an early night in case I get betrayed by the sun again.

• Like 3

Ohhh.. sun on the eyes always wakes me up instantly. We have 2 sets of blackout curtains and I also use an eye mask now, but I can't sleep with that thing the whole night so I just put it on as soon as I sort of wake up from the light and then I'll fall asleep again. Maybe that'd be nice for you too? 

May I make a training suggestion for squats? Take a weight you'd confidently do 3-5 reps with, and then do rep-sets like this; 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

It's sort of fun in a painful way ;) and it pushes you past the comfort zone. When you do 5 reps you'll think "ok maybe I could do 1 more" and then you keep on thinking that and you still actually make the 10 reps. Hopefully ;)

And I just can't stand the use of bands for dips or pull-ups. Grr. We're good enough friends that I can rumble about that, right? :P

4 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

May I make a training suggestion for squats? Take a weight you'd confidently do 3-5 reps with, and then do rep-sets like this; 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

It's sort of fun in a painful way ;) and it pushes you past the comfort zone. When you do 5 reps you'll think "ok maybe I could do 1 more" and then you keep on thinking that and you still actually make the 10 reps. Hopefully ;)

That sounds brutal. :D How would you warm up for it? Would you do it like that every session or...?

6 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

And I just can't stand the use of bands for dips or pull-ups. Grr. We're good enough friends that I can rumble about that, right? :P

Oh go for it! I hate bands too, but right now I can't even control the dip negative well enough without a band if I wanna go full range. I guess I could use a foot support but there's too much logistics involved. :P Honestly I also much prefer practicing on rings as I find the dip station handles way too wide apart. I feel like it's designed by bros who believe that they have shoulders the width of a door and with zero knowledge of anatomy ;)