• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter's back, alright!

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That sounds brutal. :D How would you warm up for it? Would you do it like that every session or...?

Oh you know the thing about noob gains is that it really doesn't matter what you're doing exactly anyway- and things like this are fun and challenging. So for my noobs or those just strength training casually I make up things like this all the time, but I try not to repeat the same rep scheme more than once or twice a month. 

For example last time I did this one was with front squats at 35kg and I did one warmup set of 4 with the empty 15kg bar. The nice thing about this setup is that you're warming up more while you're doing it anyway. 

If you do it and like it I'll throw some more your way :D

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I feel like it's designed by bros who believe that they have shoulders the width of a door and with zero knowledge of anatomy ;) 

ha ha I have felt that as well :D

53 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I have to admit that the idea that I "should" be able to lift more than I can by now has been popping up now and again, not in a very negative manner but more of a really you can do better manner. And then I have to remind myself that I haven't been lifting very long, I've been suuuuper cautious about keeping volume low, even more cautious about adding weight, and I'm only squatting twice a week and deadlifting once a week, and that's on a good week, I've often had to cut my workouts short. The funny thing is that I don't even know what's reasonable to expect for noob lifters, so these comparisons are with a non-existent baseline! 

Noob milage will vary also. In the first 6 months, I got a great deadlift increase (it was also my biggest when I started), but squat was on the low side for instance. A friend of mine on the other hand increased her squat very quickly but was so so on deads.   I don't think you can compare much, but I do think that during the first 6 months (assuming regular training), weights should go up on a regular basis even if it's in small increments. I wouldn't be so cautious about adding weight unless your form deteriorates really badly or you have a medical issue to be careful about.

9 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Oh you know the thing about noob gains is that it really doesn't matter what you're doing exactly anyway- and things like this are fun and challenging.

Indeed! I mostly just need to try harder. :) But it sounds fun to do silly things like that!

3 minutes ago, @mu said:

Noob milage will vary also. In the first 6 months, I got a great deadlift increase (it was also my biggest when I started), but squat was on the low side for instance. A friend of mine on the other hand increased her squat very quickly but was so so on deads.   I don't think you can compare much, but I do think that during the first 6 months (assuming regular training), weights should go up on a regular basis even if it's in small increments. I wouldn't be so cautious about adding weight unless your form deteriorates really badly or you have a medical issue to be careful about.

Sure, and that's why I don't really care about numbers. I mostly want MOAR ;) 

The only reason why I've been cautious about increasing weight or doing a lot of volume has been to not fry my legs before parkour or get stuck with nasty DOMS. :P And to keep my recovery under control. But that shouldn't be a problem for the next few months. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with increasing weight, I mean I'm in a squat rack the worst thing that can happen is that I'll fail.

Woke up bright and early did a bit of parkour practice in the morning. ALL THE JUMPS! I took a little vid to troubleshoot my jumping technique, it's rather boring to watch but whatever. :P 

There's a few clips:

1. First jumps, that I filmed that is. What I noticed is that I'm taking off very horizontally, and then I end up not getting enough height to extend the hips in front me when I start coming down.

2. Fails because I tried to think about jumping more up than forward which did nothing except confuse me apparently haha.

3. Slooooow mooooo. Another thing that popped up here is that my arms are not swinging back fast enough relative to me bending my legs and I end up in a super piked position. Easy to spot but not sure how easy it will be to fix the timing/coordination.

4. Practicing drops, looks super lame in the video but felt intimidating. :lol: Especially since the net is not stable. The drop felt comfy, I think that it would be ok to stand on top of the thing but I'm in no rush pushing higher impact moves.

5. Swing back flip, timing was much better this time!

I also did some vault practice and little precisions. And now my legs are very deaded.

Then I did some project work, finally started to write some coooode. :) And I made a salted butter caramel chocolate mousse, which turned out really really good. And I went for another walk because sun shiiiine. 

• Like 4

This is all very technical!

I love the slow mo one, especially when the earth shakes at the end! It looked like the beginning of an epic magical fight :D Mad Hatter has entered the forest!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, @mu said:

especially when the earth shakes at the end! It looked like the beginning of an epic magical fight :D Mad Hatter has entered the forest!

Haha! I had a similar thought :D

Heh glad you enjoyed the vid, when I looked at it it seemed so boring and repetitive!

On 5/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, @mu said:

This is all very technical!

I'm sure that for most people jumping is intuitive and doesn't need a technical breakdown, but clearly I'm not one of those people. :P  

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Loved all of the jumping.  My favorite part was watching your facial expressions after each one :P 

LOL! Btw the reason why I look down so much is not because I'm sad or angry or anything like that, but to see how far I landed. I put a stick in the sand box as a marker. 

On 5/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, @mu said:

I love the slow mo one, especially when the earth shakes at the end! It looked like the beginning of an epic magical fight :D Mad Hatter has entered the forest!

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

Haha! I had a similar thought :D

Hahaha love it! :lol:

1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

I wouldn't call it cool, but it's not bad. ;) 

Yesterday I was really, really frickin' sore, don't know if it was the lifting or the jumping or the combo but my legs and my back were DEAD. I did a few handstands outside and that's about it. I also went for my first swim this year!!! It was awesome. Plus did some project work. Good day. :)

Today my legs are STILL DEAD! I also feel generally shitty, lack of sleep but also something else. So this morning I decided it would be a good idea to try @KB Girl's suggestion of doing a 1-10 rep squat ladder. It was terrible. :P 10 reps is sooo many. I was super impressed by my friend though, because she did it at the same weight as me, but did not really struggle with the numbers. I think her strength endurance is way, way better than mine, even had I've not had such an off day. I've heard many times that women can often handle more volume and longer sets, but for myself I've never found it to be the case. I think she is one of those people though. It's impressive.

New classes are starting tomorrow! Yay! Acro on Tuesday and parkour on Wednesday. Exciting! Just hope my muscles will recover. :o 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Today my legs are STILL DEAD! I also feel generally shitty, lack of sleep but also something else. So this morning I decided it would be a good idea

I don't quite understand how that second sentence comes after the first xD 

It is terrible isn't it? :D It's definitely helpful though. What weight did you use? And did you make it? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

I don't quite understand how that second sentence comes after the first xD 

It is terrible isn't it? :D It's definitely helpful though. What weight did you use? And did you make it? 

That should have been read with a heavy dose of sarcasm. ;) I also thought a mental challenge would be better for me than trying to go heavy.

41 kg, I did make it but the reps were very wobbly. To be fair they were wobbly from the very first set :/ Just not my day. But I made it!

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That should have been read with a heavy dose of sarcasm. ;) I also thought a mental challenge would be better for me than trying to go heavy.

41 kg, I did make it but the reps were very wobbly. To be fair they were wobbly from the very first set :/ Just not my day. But I made it!

that's impressive! Ok next time you feel like going a little bit heavy, try this; 

5x35kg

3x40kg

1x45kg

5x40kg

3x45kg

1x50kg

5x45kg

3x50kg

1x55kg

5x50kg

3x55kg

1x60kg

It's meant to be failed, it's just a question of where. If you don't fail then just walk away happy and I'll make heavier suggestions next time ;)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

that's impressive! Ok next time you feel like going a little bit heavy, try this; 

5x35kg

3x40kg

1x45kg

5x40kg

3x45kg

1x50kg

5x45kg

3x50kg

1x55kg

5x50kg

3x55kg

1x60kg

It's meant to be failed, it's just a question of where. If you don't fail then just walk away happy and I'll make heavier suggestions next time ;)

Challenge accepted :D 

• Like 3

I feel like I'm not allowed to post a new challenge until I finally write up that travel report, so I'll keep posting here for now. :P 

As I mentioned on Monday I was already feeling quite unwell even before going into the workout, but I still hoped that gym would perk me up. It did not. I started feeling really unwell with misc symptoms, nausea, complete lack of temperature regulation, dizziness... We had a picnic lunch and I curled up on the blanket for a bit trying to rest and get some warmth hoping that food would help, but alas it did not and before 3 pm I gave up and went home. In retrospect I feel even better about my effort with the squats!

Luckily on Tuesday the bad feels were pretty much gone except for a rather unpleasant lingering headache. I spent a bit of time working on the project in the morning, and I got something that works, but I got this weird anxiety and keep rewriting it and changing stuff and nothing's nice enough and blah blah don't want to commit anything because it will get scrutinized and what if it's terrible? It's really dumb, and completely contrary to my regular self which is to just get something done, as simple as possible and build from there. It's always much better to do something and get feedback and change it than not getting anything done. I even want the feedback as it's a new codebase and a new language so of course I want to learn. He's also super chill though and keeps repeating that there's no pressure, but for some ass backwards reason I feel like I'm putting more pressure on myself? I often say this, but brains are weird yo.

In the evening I went to my first acro class! It was so much fun! Actually it was very similar to our morning classes, except longer and with handstands. We did one combo in particular which I absolutely loved the feel of, you start from a kneeling position and go into a shoulder roll, turning 90 degrees to get into another kneeling pose, then go straight into another shoulder roll. Very simple but I really enjoyed the super slinky, loose feel of it. 

It was rather funny, because at one point we played this game and while we were doing it I kept thinking why are we doing this warm up thing in the middle of class? It struck me as kinda odd. Then he announced it was the end of class and I felt a little dumb haha. It was actually quite a fun little concentration exercise (@KB Girl in case you're still interested), one person started off standing in the middle with the other people standing in a semi circle in front, where each spot in the semi circle would get a number. The person in the middle would then call a number, toss a medicine ball up in the air, and the person standing at the numbered spot would have to run into the middle and catch the ball, call out a new number etc etc. The second version was to do the same thing but where everyone in the semi circle would constantly switch positions. It's actually quite interesting because basically the coordinate system changes from one revolving around on yourself to a system that's you relative to other people and that forces you to concentrate in a different way. Well I thought it was interesting. And fun. And it forced me to count in Finnish which added to the challenge. :D 

Today I was back to ALL the energy, I headed to the office gym in the morning, but since I had parkour in the evening I didn't want to lift. Instead I did a few arm balances. I think that Wednesday mornings would be a nice day for arm balances + a little myflex. The problem with only doing this mini session was that it only served to boost my energy levels even more and I could.not.sit.still. My legs were almost aching they wanted to jump around so much! :D The afternoon was such a drag, all I could think about was parkour!

The class was awesome, even if it started raining as soon as we got there after having been beautiful for like a week haha. Luckily it didn't last very long and it dried up in an instant. We did a lot of stuff, but some of my favourite things were

•  The warm up - we did the twister exercise (one of my favourite warm ups!) where one person points at the ground and the other person has to put down one limb in that spot, starting with the left arm, then on the next spot with the right arm, the right leg, left leg then back to the left arm etc. Now I was working with my colleague/project partner let's call him A, and I got to be mean to him. That was a lot of fun. He used the word sadistic. But the even more fun part was when he tried to be mean back, and it didn't work despite me ending up in a front split after being twisted up so badly. :lol: I think the words were "utterly unsatisfying", when he realized he didn't manage to get me back. 
  • We were supposed to do this line, buuut I found a pole and couldn't help incorporating swinging around the pole into the line. So fun!
  • When my teacher was very strict about doing full RoM pull-ups (*cough* A *cough*) and gave me a high five when I told her about all the cheaters at work and that I wasn't one of them. :D Unfortunately my own pull-ups are in a terrible state and I struggled, but at least I'm always trying!
  • That I fell on my butt doing a turn vault into a cat hang and slipping. It's one the good things list because the more used I get to failing in different ways the harder things I will be able to do. I think a lot of the time things are scary because I don't know *exactly* what will happen and what it will feel like if I fail, so every time I do it increases my awareness and I'll be able to both bail better in the future and also make better decisions. 
  • Just trying really hard and getting rid of all that excess energy.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

in case you're still interested

definitely! :)

Those classes sound awesome! And I love it that falling on your but is on the good things list. 

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

all I could think about was parkour!

Brain is smart :D

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

but I got this weird anxiety and keep rewriting it and changing stuff and nothing's nice enough and blah blah don't want to commit anything because it will get scrutinized and what if it's terrible?

I'd say it was just a consequence of you not feeling well physically. 

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That I fell on my butt doing a turn vault into a cat hang and slipping

Not falling off on turn vault -> cat hang is something I have yet to figure out.  I always have way more momentum going over than I do grip once I try to stop

21 hours ago, KB Girl said:

definitely! :)

Those classes sound awesome! And I love it that falling on your but is on the good things list. 

I'm embracing failing. :D

10 hours ago, zenLara said:

Brain is smart :D

I'd say it was just a consequence of you not feeling well physically. 

Heh not really, I just need to suck it up and get the initial commits over and done with.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Not falling off on turn vault -> cat hang is something I have yet to figure out.  I always have way more momentum going over than I do grip once I try to stop

What helped me was:

1. Doing them slowly - for me it was a bit too sketchy/the wall a little too high to do a big turn vault so I only did a little jump

2. Dragging a little with the inside leg against the wall to drop a little slower

3. Keeping the arms fairly closed to the hips to reduce the amount of time hanging on one arm as you come around.

We also started off by practicing just doing the turn vault over a rail and landing as closely as we could to it. If you find yourself landing with the feet far away from the rail just doing that, that's a good place to start.

Keep in mind that mine still suck, I'm very timid going over as I don't quite trust my coordination/timing yet and if done poorly it's pretty heavy impact on the shoulder.

Yesterday

- Fought with css and logos

- Had to work late because of aforementioned struggle

- Committed first thing for the project! Wheee! It feels like an exam haha, my brain is so dumb sometimes.

- Did not move, barely went outside, my abs are still sore from doing gazillions of arm jumps and drops into cat hangs in parkour. Also my elbows which is a little annoying. Hopefully that will go away as my muscles recover.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, KB Girl said:

5x35kg

3x40kg

1x45kg

5x40kg

3x45kg

1x50kg

5x45kg

3x50kg

1x55kg

5x50kg

3x55kg

1x60kg

Did it this morning! Soooo much nicer than the 10 rep one hahaha. Or maybe it was just too light. :P 

I have to say I kinda enjoyed having a "checklist" this morning for a change, so different from my regular wing it and see approach haha.

Since my elbows hurt I decided against doing deadlifts and I limited upper body work to a few push ups. Instead I did a teeny bit of backbending! :o It's been suuuuuuch a long time. I did a few bridges, walked the length of the corridor in a bridge and died, and as a bonus challenge I did drop backs to see if I could still do them. Surprisingly enough I could! Not very pretty and my hip flexors are so tight I had to really splay my legs, but I could still do them with reasonable control. Cool. 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I feel like I'm not allowed to post a new challenge until I finally write up that travel report, so I'll keep posting here for now. :P 

:D 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Did it this morning! Soooo much nicer than the 10 rep one hahaha. Or maybe it was just too light. :P 

That's brilliant!

And yay for classes starting again!

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

We also started off by practicing just doing the turn vault over a rail and landing as closely as we could to it. If you find yourself landing with the feet far away from the rail just doing that, that's a good place to start.

yep, not going over the wall at a full sprint would probably help tons.  Unfortunately, the message to slow down  keeps getting lost somewhere between my brain and my legs :D 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

walked the length of the corridor in a bridge and died

Walking while in a bridge?  And you didn't die until the end of the corridor?  Amazing!

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

walked the length of the corridor in a bridge and died

Walking while in a bridge?  And you didn't die until the end of the corridor?  Amazing!

giphy.gif