• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm useless at tapiring ahead of races. Doing a 10k in 6 days. Training going OK so far. Comments advice please on the following (copied /pasted from my 4 week challenge thread) 

______

Ok, so plans for the next week. I should be resting this week but I am pretty terrible at resting so I need to have a plan to follow or else I'll do stupid things. I'd also like to do some exercise without actually tiring my legs out but I'm not sure if that's sensible to do. For example, if I do some dumbell exercise, will the energy that my arms use up detract from the process of recovering and storing energy in my leg muscles? 

Tentatively thinking along these lines:

Food

Mon-Wed

Proper paleo, bribe wife to refrain from cooking Yorkshire puddings, avoid snacks after dinner (just one fruit as dessert) 

Thursday PM and Friday - light quantities of carbs in prep for Saturday

Exercise

Stretch and roll every day except weds when I won't be able to

Monday - press-ups 

Tuesday - maybe some LIGHT rowing or slacklining or something 

Wednesday - press-ups 

Thursday - nothing but there will be a lot of walking

Friday - nothing 

Saturday - crush the opposition... Er, I mean run by best race. 

• Haha 1

PS I am an old fart and probably don't recover as quickly as some of you young pups. 

14 hours ago, 18ck said:

PS I am an old fart and probably don't recover as quickly as some of you young pups. 

Tapering is all about race performance. It isn't necessary for those just participating to run.  I don't taper myself for anything under  10 miles then it's just a day or two off. I will follow the plans taper for half and full marathons though because my legs are exhausted by the end of training.

" For example, if I do some dumbbell exercise, will the energy that my arms use up detract from the process of recovering and storing energy in my leg muscles?"

I highly doubt it and as long as you aren't fiercely competing and trying to medal, I wouldn't even consider if this would impact your performance.

Looking for that PR or trying to medal, then this guy is for you!!

https://strengthrunning.com/2011/08/how-to-taper-for-a-race/

8 hours ago, Dilnad said:

Tapering is all about race performance. It isn't necessary for those just participating to run.  I don't taper myself for anything under  10 miles then it's just a day or two off. I will follow the plans taper for half and full marathons though because my legs are exhausted by the end of training.

" For example, if I do some dumbbell exercise, will the energy that my arms use up detract from the process of recovering and storing energy in my leg muscles?"

I highly doubt it and as long as you aren't fiercely competing and trying to medal, I wouldn't even consider if this would impact your performance.

Looking for that PR or trying to medal, then this guy is for you!!

https://strengthrunning.com/2011/08/how-to-taper-for-a-race/

Thanks. I'm definitely in it to get a good time and feel good about it. Not likely to get a medal but it's important to me that I finish strong and not just flollop round like a walrus. I definitely feel like my strength/stamina is affected if I've smashed myself 2 days earlier on a fast run, hence the question. 

You're probably right though that at 10k distance I probably shouldn't be too fretful about it. It's pretty far from marathon distance!

Thanks for the answer anyway! 

15 hours ago, 18ck said:

Thanks. I'm definitely in it to get a good time and feel good about it. Not likely to get a medal but it's important to me that I finish strong and not just flollop round like a walrus. I definitely feel like my strength/stamina is affected if I've smashed myself 2 days earlier on a fast run, hence the question. 

You're probably right though that at 10k distance I probably shouldn't be too fretful about it. It's pretty far from marathon distance!

Thanks for the answer anyway! 

Don't undersell the distance either. 10k is a sweet race length!!! :)

• Like 1