Another Weight Loss and Period Question

Hey all, I've lost about 22lbs in the last 10-12 weeks. I've also been sick with a cold the last week, I lift regularly, and I'm in the process of buying a condo. I'm set to start my period this coming Wednesday. I've been spotting pretty heavily since this past Wednesday. I am 31, I have never spotted like this before. I know that spotting can be a symptom of many things, from stress (hello condo buying) to body changes (hi weight loss) to pregnancy (not likely, I'd be almost 1/2 way through my pregnancy by now if I'd gotten pregnant the last time) to cancer (and of course I'm talking worst case scenario). I accept that a number of the factors in my environment could be causing this but since I've actually never spotted pre-period before, I'm stressing out. 

The main question is: Has anyone else ever dealt with such a drastic period change accompanying weight loss? Is this normal after weight loss? 

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

20 minutes ago, Defining said:

The stress alone could cause spotting - if it continue for more than a week or two beyond your period, go chat with a dr about it; but in the meantime, try not to freak yourself out.

I'm not super worried about it being something drastic, but I'm wondering if this is common after serious weight loss. I've never responded this way just due to stress before, the weight loss is the real oddity in my life, I've never lost weight like this before. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I’ve definitely had stress shave days off my cycle. You may have missed an ovulation so this cycle is short. It’ll probably be ok. I would give it a few months to settle out, and let you weight stabilize before you worry too much.

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

I have absolutely had shifts like this.  Spotting can mean your hormones are a little out of sorts.  My guess would be the stress first and foremost.  Where are you in your cycle? Are you almost at your period? I usually get it a couple days before and it could be with the weight loss your cycles will change length (I went from 45+ days to 30 days with a 30 lb loss). Hope this helps you. 

Level 0 Hobbit. Druid at heart

Long Term Goal: Lose 100 pounds

0%
0%

Starting weight: 265

For now: Looking to lose 5 pounds with my first challenge and cut out soda

0%
0%

Current Challenge Thread

28 minutes ago, Jeffiner2001 said:

I have absolutely had shifts like this.  Spotting can mean your hormones are a little out of sorts.  My guess would be the stress first and foremost.  Where are you in your cycle? Are you almost at your period? I usually get it a couple days before and it could be with the weight loss your cycles will change length (I went from 45+ days to 30 days with a 30 lb loss). Hope this helps you. 

Yes, the spotting started about 7 days before the period and got heavier the closer I got. The period has recently started. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

2 hours ago, JessFit said:

Yes, the spotting started about 7 days before the period and got heavier the closer I got. The period has recently started. 

I've heard that spotting before a period involves the hormone progesterone.  A lot of people spot before a period, but if it's a new shift for you and continues,  you should probably mention it to your doctor next time you go. Can't hurt! 

Level 0 Hobbit. Druid at heart

Long Term Goal: Lose 100 pounds

0%
0%

Starting weight: 265

For now: Looking to lose 5 pounds with my first challenge and cut out soda

0%
0%

Current Challenge Thread

Yep. I put on #30 and things went the opposite direction - heavier periods. Lots of hormones are linked to fat tissue, which means that when your % body fat changes, the hormones change. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs