Want to try this but very unsure

Hey, this is my first post and I'm super nervous.  I am really not sure I can do this.  As I see it, there are three things that could be major impediments to taking part:

-The boyfriend will not be doing this with me.  He will support whatever I want to do.  He will chop my veggies, re-rack my weights, encourage me every step of the way.  But he has zero interest in changing his own diet or activities.  The house will still be full of junk food, staring me in the face all day long.

-There is no money to spare.  None.  We are Peter Parker Poor right now.  Both the Academy and Rising Heroes are way out of my budget.  Unless and until the job situation improves (2 1/2 years and waiting on that), I'm limited to the free resources.

-We do not have the internet at home.  See Peter Parker Poor, above.  I have a 7-year old smartphone that can handle e-mail and most text-heavy sites, but will balk at video or most recent apps.  For most net needs, I have to go to the library, which I can't always do every day.

Given that, is there anybody who actually has a record of success under similar circumstances?  Does this sound doable?  Or should I wait on this until the finances are better?

• Like 3

Hi and welcome!

It sounds doable. You seem to be willing to focus on the diet side of things and junk food isn't the cheapest way to eat, so there are bound to be recipes with the added incentive to help you save money. The fact that your boyfriend supports you, even though he's not willing to dive in, is a huge plus. As I understand, you could cook together, though you'd eat different things. That's not optimal but well worth giving it a try.

The internet part can be worked around by searching for recipes in the library or whenever you've got internet and using pen and paper to track your progress. A checklist sticked in the kitchen with boxes for healthy meals every day you plan to have them that you'd check when you actually do is a great way to keep ourselves accountable.

Then you can come here and report every once in a while, when you can, without pressure when you can't. That plus free resources are awesome.

If you're serious about going for it and trying to stick with it, it may be worth it to try and send an e-mail to the team regarding joining the academy, explaining your situation. They're understanding and may be willing to strike a deal for it. As I understand it, they're trying to help people first and make money second (for which I really thank them - though, of course, they can't help their own people without money either).

Worst case scenario: you don't manage to stick to it but still gather valuable experience for when your financial situation will be better.

Take care and enjoy yourself as much as you can.

• Like 3

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

I agree with @Jean, it sounds doable. I think the majority of people here don't use the paid programs and we get along just fine with the free content on the forums only. I've found the community here to be incredibly supportive, once I got into the swing of things, and I'm sure you will too. 

There's no pressure or requirement to visit the forums every day. Whenever you can, and to whatever extent you need, is the right amount for you. 

Jean is also right that junk food is expensive. You say your boyfriend is supportive but doesn't want to change his own way of doing things, but does that mean he just doesn't want to have the stress of thinking about it or trying to change? For example, if you cooked something healthier than your normal fare, would he eat it because it's convenient, or insist on eating his usual meal? He sounds like a decent guy, and cooking (or more specifically, shopping) for two is often easier than for one. If you're bothering to learn new recipes and cook healthy food for yourself, it might not be much trouble to make twice as much. 

All that said, if you decide now isn't the time after all, that's a legitimate choice, too. As we say here, the best change is the one you stick to, so putting yourself in a situation where you feel forced to do things differently is likely to be counter-productive. If you feel like having to manage budgeting your food and boyfriend's, figure out times to check in online, and learning about all these new things is bringing you more pain than benefit, you're not likely to get great results. YOU have to be the one to decide you can do it if you make the effort and that it's worth making that effort. 

Best of luck with everything, and feel free to reach out if you need any help.  

• Like 3

Welcome!  I am relatively new to this as well (by which I mean the forums here, I am part of Academy and have used the FB group up 'til recently.)  

-I am in a similar situation with my husband.  He has my back but is uninterested in making changes himself.  As far as junk control goes, I find if I have a food plan for the day all written up including *everything* I will eat for the day, I can usually stick to it.  I put the junk in the plan too.  That way mid-day if a craving strikes I can remind myself this isn't on my plan, I have X later that I really wanted.  For me, focusing first on sticking to the plan, not necessarily better eating, was a solid foundation.  From there I was able to make some better choices. 

-You don't need Academy or Rising Heroes. They are simply additional tools.  The people here on the forums are super helpful.  You just need to be a little patient about receiving replies.  But I don't think that any well-meaning question or request for help goes unanswered.  I myself have been focusing on advancing body weight fitness and have found tons of resources and links here. The only challenge for you is making sure your library time is efficiently used.    

-I know the challenges and such encourage checking in every day or so, but that isn't truly necessary.  I can't handle that- So Much Pressure- and one of my goals is less time wasted staring at a screen.  You do this your way, as best you can.  The only person really keeping tabs on you is you.  We just bolster you along  the way.  

I encourage you to stick with this as best you are able.  You can only gain from it, and since you are playing on a much harder game setting, when things slip back to average or even easy, it will be a breeze for you.

• Like 3

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am trying to cobble together a doable ease-in plan at the moment.  I really hope this works, because tasty snackage is one of the few enjoyments I can afford anymore, and giving it up is going to hurt.

A couple of you mentioned that eating healthy is cheaper than eating junk.  I suppose if you're talking about the difference between buying pre-made convenience food and buying staples, then yes, that is cheaper.  But a lot of our diet right now is built around super cheap filling carbs.  Pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal... there's a reason these are traditionally thought of as poor man's foods.  I come from a German-Italian family.  Pasta and potatoes are life.  Cutting those out is going to be almost surreal for me.

Yes, the boyfriend is a good one.  But no, even if it's easier to cook a double batch of the same thing, I don't think he'll want to.  Already we cook separately many nights, both because of scheduling and food preferences.  Boyfriend has a very limited palate, and zero interest in expanding it.  I'm not at all kidding when I say that he could eat the same six meals in rotation for the rest of his life and be a happy man.  Me, I need more variety.  I compare him to a koala a lot, and it's an apt metaphor here; he only eats from a few particular trees, and once he finds himself a comfortable niche to curl up in, he'll stay there unless something actively dislodges him.

• Like 2

Focusing on doable is certainly a good idea. What is the reason you're diving in (or, as Steve puts it, your Big Why)? I'm asking because the results you'll achieve depend on the plan and not all plans will work equally well to reach all kinds of results.

2 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

tasty snackage is one of the few enjoyments I can afford anymore, and giving it up is going to hurt.

This may mean that it isn't a good time to give up on snacks. We need some comfort and enjoyment in life, giving it up creates a need that's likely to burst out at some point if our life isn't balanced enough beside that. I'd not say it's a reason not to try but don't be afraid to reduce your efforts if they're starting to make you feel miserable and direct your energy toward another side of your life that'd be needing it (finances, for example).

2 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

Pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal

Those are not junk food. They're high energy food that's great to fuel our body but can be stored as fat if eaten in too big quantities, not so great to build muscle and leaving us open to some deficiencies if not supplied with vegetables. Meat isn't a requirement (eggs, chickpeas, lentils, black beans are good as a replacement) though it can help to have some of it once in a while (liver is cheap and super healthy, though very heavy in some vitamins, so very good to eat once in a while but not a daily food). Vegetables are important. Fruits could help as a snack. One of my stapples is rice with veggies and some eggs, for example.

That's the point where your goal really comes into play. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, a high carbs diet might not be a bad idea in itself (quantities and the variety of what you eat with it do matter, though, which doesn't mean your current diet isn't a working one for you at the moment). Do you feel a problem yourself (overweight, lack of energy, low strength) or do you want to change your habits due to some readings and dietary mainstream ideas floating around?

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

8 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

tasty snackage is one of the few enjoyments I can afford anymore, and giving it up is going to hurt.

Obviously the snacks stay!  As you have time, energy, and the interest you will decide to what degree.  I will fight you if you try to take my evening sweet from me, especially now that I a satisfied with a small piece instead of half the package.

Pasta and potatoes are life.  Cutting those out is going to be almost surreal for me.

For me it's potatoes and bread.  And as Jean said,  it depends on your goals and needs.   Carbs are not the enemy.  

I compare him to a koala a lot, and it's an apt metaphor here; he only eats from a few particular trees, and once he finds himself a comfortable niche to curl up in, he'll stay there unless something actively dislodges him.

This is cute.  I like him already.  

• Like 1

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1