• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi,

has anyone tried the https://www.smartfertilitychoices.com/free-30-day-pcos-diet-challenge/?I think it will be concentrating mainly on nutrition and I am willing to try since it is free.

My main fear is the "sugar is evil" message will be strong an very restrictive. It talks about sustainable, but I'm not convinced 100%.

Would like to know any review if you have tried it. Or let me know if you want to try it and we can exchange experiences.

Thanks!

Not sure if she still stops by the forums, but tagging @Cataleya. Not sure if she's done this, but I know she's experimented with a number of nutrition plans around PCOS.

• Like 1

Realistically speaking, a diet that's higher in protein and lower in carbs has been shown to be beneficial for those with PCOS - some argue that even something more extreme like a keto diet could be helpful. That may or may not be compatible with how you'd like to be practicing IE right now - the only person who'll know if it's right for you is yourself!

• Like 1

Realistically speaking, a diet that's higher in protein and lower in carbs has been shown to be beneficial for those with PCOS - some argue that even something more extreme like a keto diet could be helpful. That may or may not be compatible with how you'd like to be practicing IE right now - the only person who'll know if it's right for you is yourself!

That is true, and I think that is part of the fear: that it is too prescriptive. But as I was saying in that thread, my doctor insists on PCOS diets (insulin resistance) and I think I need to give that a try. This one has no calorie restriction, so should be closer to IE guidelines than others. And I might use it as baseline and see if I crave broccoli I can have broccoli instead :shrug:

Thanks for the tag! I need to get back into things.

I have tried a bunch of different things (not this particular plan) and I have struggled on every plan I've used for a variety of reasons, but Defining is right that people tend to tout the high protein low carb plans. I still struggle on it but I have seen better results when I at least cut out as much added sugar and refined carbs as possible. More protein doesn't necessarily help with weight loss for me but it can help me feel fuller longer SO LONG AS it's not fried shit.

Keto does nothing for me personally other than make me feel like ass. My suggestion would be to record your macros for a week or two and then play around with the ratios--slowly cut back on carbs until you feel like you're in a good spot, eat good protein, be careful with fat, etc. Then see if you can stick to it. That's also a problem I tend to have. Especially if I try to do too much too fast.

I also take Metformin which supposedly helps with insulin resistance (I don't know if it does anything for me but I take it because I'm told to) and Belviq which has been helping with the cravings which I have when I'm cutting stuff out. I took it after I had a terrible experience with Contrave. Phentermine helps too but you really shouldn't be on it for long periods of time, hence the switch to Belviq.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tag! I need to get back into things.

I have tried a bunch of different things (not this particular plan) and I have struggled on every plan I've used for a variety of reasons, but Defining is right that people tend to tout the high protein low carb plans. I still struggle on it but I have seen better results when I at least cut out as much added sugar and refined carbs as possible. More protein doesn't necessarily help with weight loss for me but it can help me feel fuller longer SO LONG AS it's not fried shit.

Keto does nothing for me personally other than make me feel like ass. My suggestion would be to record your macros for a week or two and then play around with the ratios--slowly cut back on carbs until you feel like you're in a good spot, eat good protein, be careful with fat, etc. Then see if you can stick to it. That's also a problem I tend to have. Especially if I try to do too much too fast.

I also take Metformin which supposedly helps with insulin resistance (I don't know if it does anything for me but I take it because I'm told to) and Belviq which has been helping with the cravings which I have when I'm cutting stuff out. I took it after I had a terrible experience with Contrave. Phentermine helps too but you really shouldn't be on it for long periods of time, hence the switch to Belviq.

Yup, I'm really in your same place...
The high protein (especially high pulses) low carb is the one that works best, but it feels very restrictive and I bail out too soon. Keto is not for me, can't even think of trying! Yet my GP shames me for my weight being responsible for the PCOS

I take Metformin and Inositol (don't know all those commercial terms) and not sure has any effect anymore.
The pill (Diane) was the one that worked the best, but can't use that for more than a year (or anymore in my case, as I'm prone to clotting).
The best was aldactone and metformin together, but the doctor is of the opinion that I don't need it anymore as I got my period back naturally. Yet I'm still insulin resistant :(

The high protein (especially high pulses) low carb is the one that works best, but it feels very restrictive and I bail out too soon. Keto is not for me, can't even think of trying! Yet my GP shames me for my weight being responsible for the PCOS

You might be trying to cut down on the carbs too quickly, which is why it might be good to track your normal intake first for a while. I've tried the "no sugar" thing before and I bomb it, but if I say I'm not going to drink soda anymore, then try slowly reducing the amount of sugar I put into my other drinks (e.g. tea), then trying to replace breakfast from cereal or bagels to something like eggs, then try to replace a side or two from something bread or pasta to more vegetables, etc... I do a lot better. I don't know what all you've tried but if cutting your carbs in half right away is what you've been doing (what I tried doing for years) it may be helpful to find smaller steps, depending on what you eat now.

The other thing is to remember that even as you're cutting stuff out it doesn't mean you can't ever have it again. I still have ice cream. I just don't have it every night and when I do have it, I have a serving size or less.

Nowadays I tend not to struggle so much reducing carbs but increasing protein, especially as I try to reduce my meat intake, so that's usually what trips me up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You might be trying to cut down on the carbs too quickly, which is why it might be good to track your normal intake first for a while. I've tried the "no sugar" thing before and I bomb it, but if I say I'm not going to drink soda anymore, then try slowly reducing the amount of sugar I put into my other drinks (e.g. tea), then trying to replace breakfast from cereal or bagels to something like eggs, then try to replace a side or two from something bread or pasta to more vegetables, etc... I do a lot better. I don't know what all you've tried but if cutting your carbs in half right away is what you've been doing (what I tried doing for years) it may be helpful to find smaller steps, depending on what you eat now.

The other thing is to remember that even as you're cutting stuff out it doesn't mean you can't ever have it again. I still have ice cream. I just don't have it every night and when I do have it, I have a serving size or less.

Nowadays I tend not to struggle so much reducing carbs but increasing protein, especially as I try to reduce my meat intake, so that's usually what trips me up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think that you are right, I go from 'eat what you want (all the carbs)' to 'eat this mealplan (low carbs)'.
I don't drink alcohol nor soda anymore, and I manage to go to pubs and order pints of water, with the amusement of people around me and the bartenders.
I get into 'no dessert' months (includes icecreams, cakes, cookies and candies, excludes other food containing sugar as ketchup) successfully unless in a very emotional state (loss of a dear one, breakup, huge stress).
I think that my main issue is lack of ideas on how to up protein with variety. Pulses seem to me the same thing over and over again: a soup or a salad. Meat is basically brown... my plate bores me, then I stop eating it and then I am hungry and I eat the first available thing (carby).
Also my main meal happens at work, so needs to be microwaveable. Rice is easier than meat to microwave...
  • Like 1