• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I don't like eat, pray, love, or live, laugh, love, or any of that cheesy wall art stuff.

9mPBTnb.jpg

The only acceptable version.

However, during week 4 of the previous challenge I accepted that I am suffering from burnout. It has affected my nutrition and fitness. The burnout is professional, and it's seeping into other aspects of my life, as evidenced by my waistline, reduced cooking, and anemic workout patterns. That burnout is also exacerbated by perfectionism, which I'm also working through. Tova suggested a book I have purchased called The Gifts of Imperfection; finishing it is a priority this challenge. Self care is one of the important pieces of the puzzle in recovering from burnout, so I am choosing to view my goals as self care.

Eat:

In the words of Michael Pollan, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." That's nice and simple. Meat, fruit and vegetables are important. Bread and grains are ok. I'm an Intutive Eater, so I'm not eliminating anything. I want to focus on good, nutritious meals with plenty of good stuff. 

Move:

I went for a while last challenge without any intentional exercise, and it hurt. Kettlebell workouts are good, body weight workouts are good, yoga is good. Walks are nice, and they take a while, so they might not happen as often. 

Rest:

This originally started as an awareness of the importance of sleep. Part of the time with no workouts coincided with poor sleep, and not much of it. I was so tired I was almost crying. Sleep is good, and getting enough is a goal. In addition, recovery from burnout includes plenty of rest while awake. One of the things I'll be resting from is putting pressure on myself. Deciding not to pressure myself about stuff was as freeing as realizing I'm not going to restrict food when going through Intuitive Eating. I'm going to be deliberate instead of desperate. Also, it's helpful to accept my role on the forums has changed. Gone are the days when I can follow everyone. That happened at a time when I had no responsibilities with NF (2015), and I had very little going on in general. I was just out of a bad relationship, and had not yet begun to rebuild social networks. I had plenty of time, and the forums filled much of it for me. Now I'm responsible for not just a guild but all the forums, I'm married, a baby is on the way, and we are hoping to buy a house and move in the summer. Trying to follow people like I used to would keep me from doing my best work for NF, and hamper me in my recovery from burnout. I'm already following fewer threads than I used to. I may have to follow even less this time around. (English Majors who know the less/fewer rules, please assume I used the correct one in both instances). Doing my job well means trusting the awesome Guild Leaders to take care of people. Please don't read this and think you can't reach out to me, you still can. I just know what's going to help me recover, and I may not be able to follow some of you that I've been checking in on each challenge.

healing_grande.gif

• Like 25

*turns on a windmachine and shakes some frozen pompoms to help with the burnout*

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:32 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

FIRST!!!!!!!!11!1!

Welcome! Is now a good time to mention that bible passage about how the first shall be last and the last shall be first?

On 5/16/2019 at 9:28 AM, deftona said:

First -1

Welcome to you to.

7 minutes ago, Miaulin said:

*turns on a windmachine and shakes some frozen pompoms to help with the burnout*

That's a lovely image, thank you.

Just now, Rinna said:

4th!  Here for moral support.

Glad to have you along.

• Like 1

NF is so helpful in life but it's a fine balance of how much time to spend here. 

All the best wishes for your rest challenge, that sounds like a really hard one! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

NF is so helpful in life but it's a fine balance of how much time to spend here. 

All the best wishes for your rest challenge, that sounds like a really hard one! 

Thank you. Acting lazy is so much easier than actually resting.

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

giphy.gif

Glad you're taking care of yourself, Tank!

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I would have guessed all those things were high on your to-do list.

As practices, yes. As wall art or phrases they are less than desirable.

• Like 5

On 5/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

(English Majors who know the less/fewer rules, please assume I used the correct one in both instances).

If it makes you feel better, this English teacher read right over it without thinking until you said something.   but fewer is correct if you really wanted to know

I feel you on the following less people.  I'll probably be a lurker this go round, but wanted to stop in and say hi.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That burnout is also exacerbated by perfectionism, which I'm also working through.

I'm sorry you've joined the club, my friend. I have to imagine that, in your profession, you are spread emotionally thin regularly. Glad you are being mindful as a priority.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that things have been rough, fingers crossed this challenge helps. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome! Is now a good time to mention that bible passage about how the first shall be last and the last shall be first?

I don't know about the bible, my friend, all I'm hearing is that Bob Dylan song now...

• Like 2

You do you, and heal thyself before hurricane babystorm hits!

*Hugs Across The Internets*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good luck with everything coming your way! You'll do it great!
giphy.gif

not an English Major but well... 

The gifts of imperfections, when we drop the expectations (and chains) of perfection, we are happier I think.
Wabi-sabi, as they say in Japan. There's beauty there.

• Like 2

Doing this post stuff on a thread thing.

*click*

Posted.  I am now a follower of Tanktimus.

It's okay for NF to take a few steps lower on the ladder.  Heck, sometimes, it's best to step off a ladder for a bit.  Like, during a lightning storm!  Or high winds.  :)  You can always get back on when the weather calms.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stribs said:

If it makes you feel better, this English teacher read right over it without thinking until you said something.   but fewer is correct if you really wanted to know

I feel you on the following less people.  I'll probably be a lurker this go round, but wanted to stop in and say hi.

Thanks, I really did want to know. Lurk away.

11 hours ago, EricMN said:

I'm sorry you've joined the club, my friend. I have to imagine that, in your profession, you are spread emotionally thin regularly. Glad you are being mindful as a priority.

I am indeed. 

11 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Sounds like a good challenge. Godspeed.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

First!!!* 

*Page

You are technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct.

9 hours ago, Xena said:

First!!!*

*post after WhiteGhost's

Also, correct!

7 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Sorry to hear that things have been rough, fingers crossed this challenge helps. 

Thank you.

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I don't know about the bible, my friend, all I'm hearing is that Bob Dylan song now...

Which one, the one where he mumbles, the one where he's hard to understand, or the one where the lyrics are difficult to discern?

57 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Following, brother!  Those goals seem a bit...familiar. ;)

Yep, I think we may both be suffering from craps-to-give-depletion syndrome.

38 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

You do you, and heal thyself before hurricane babystorm hits!

*Hugs Across The Internets*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Hugs back.

19 minutes ago, jcmgm said:

Good luck with everything coming your way! You'll do it great!
giphy.gif

not an English Major but well... 

The gifts of imperfections, when we drop the expectations (and chains) of perfection, we are happier I think.
Wabi-sabi, as they say in Japan. There's beauty there.

Yes, I fully expect life to be easier to deal with once I stop artificially increasing the difficulty level with perfectionism.

Yesterday was a good day. I ate, but did not cook. Not much movement, and some resting after church. Mainly sitting on the couch and vegging with games and reddit.

• Like 6

On 5/15/2019 at 3:53 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I just know what's going to help me recover, and I may not be able to follow some of you that I've been checking in on each challenge.

I am going to ask you not to follow me this challenge, because that would be one less person to worry about, and you've already done so much for me! Next time though... But I'll still pop in here to check up on you. That's what big sisters do. So... look after yourself, or you'll be in serious trouble. :pirate: Hugs to M and Little T.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Trying to follow people like I used to would keep me from doing my best work for NF, and hamper me in my recovery from burnout. I'm already following fewer threads than I used to. I may have to follow even less this time around. (English Majors who know the less/fewer rules, please assume I used the correct one in both instances). Doing my job well means trusting the awesome Guild Leaders to take care of people. Please don't read this and think you can't reach out to me, you still can. I just know what's going to help me recover, and I may not be able to follow some of you that I've been checking in on each challenge.

I have stopped "following" everyone (except for a few battle logs, because I don't venture to that area very often). It's actually been very helpful to my forum browsing. 

Instead, I check in on my Guild at least once a day (okay, more like at least three times a day) and then the other guilds when I feel like it. So I still catch up on the posts of people I care about, but I don't have that overwhelming sense of all of the follows. I'm not sure if anything similar would work for you, but it's definitely given me less stress over HAVING to be involved, which makes me WANT to be more involved. 

But yes, the GL's are amazing (I mean, not that I'm trying to toot my own horn) and we are here to support you just as much as the rest of the rebels!

• Like 7