• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well, in that case:

I looked it up and it seems to be another personality test similar to those INTJ type things people often refer too (Briggs Myers or something?)  How is this different from something like that, and what does knowing your result personality from this test really tell you that you didn't already know about yourself?  

The claim is that the Enneagram looks at behaviors and the motivations behind them, rather than personality types. From the two sermons our pastor has preach on this already (on types 1 and 2) he talks about the core motivation, core beliefs, core sin, core need, and core behaviors of each. He then talks about each type when they are healthy and when they are out of balance. 

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Setting aside for a moment the ludicrous idea that anyone ever really knows themself... :P

A lot of the benefit from personality tests is that the person taking them is forced to pay attention to parts/aspects of their personality that they normally don't give a lot of thought. How many of us really set aside time once a week to meditate over our inner shortcomings and look for ways to address them? Introspection isn't nearly as common as it should be, and a personality test provides a starting point for that.

This exactly. Related to what I said about how our pastor is tying this to core beliefs and behaviors is it can help someone be aware of things they did not realize about themselves, and how to move from unhealthy to healthy behaviors. 

It is also important to note that Enneagram says that nobody is all one type, but that each individual is a unique mixture of more than one type.

• Like 6

Monday was a good day.

Eat: Out. Monday is the day I get home from the far hospital after an hour or more drive.

Move: See above :)

Rest: More Dr. Who, along with some reading about the Enneagram and one other book I'm working through about healing presence.

• Like 8

On 6/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, scalyfreak said:

Setting aside for a moment the ludicrous idea that anyone ever really knows themself... :P

I would imagine that the idea of an algorithm knowing more about me than I do about myself would be equally ludicrous?   After all, our own self image is what we use to validate the feedback we get from the assessment.  

On 6/10/2019 at 10:36 PM, scalyfreak said:

A lot of the benefit from personality tests is that the person taking them is forced to pay attention to parts/aspects of their personality that they normally don't give a lot of thought. How many of us really set aside time once a week to meditate over our inner shortcomings and look for ways to address them? Introspection isn't nearly as common as it should be, and a personality test provides a starting point for that.

Sure, but wouldn't any in depth personality assessment provide an equally beneficial platform for navel gazing?  Or guided meditation?  Or even just spending some time thinking about our inner shortcomings?  My question wasn't about the concept behind personality tests in general but why this particular one is worth spending so much time and energy on.

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The claim is that the Enneagram looks at behaviors and the motivations behind them, rather than personality types. From the two sermons our pastor has preach on this already (on types 1 and 2) he talks about the core motivation, core beliefs, core sin, core need, and core behaviors of each. He then talks about each type when they are healthy and when they are out of balance. 

I don't know, it seems like a convenient way to put a label on someone and throw them into whatever box the assessment assigns.  Assuming someone is behaving a certain way because of a given personality type rather than due to personal experience or a myriad of various factors could potentially create more problems than it solves?  Especially given that everyone is a complex mix of personality types anyway (as you mentioned)

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It is also important to note that Enneagram says that nobody is all one type, but that each individual is a unique mixture of more than one type.

I don't think any assessment is needed to come to this conclusion.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sure, but wouldn't any in depth personality assessment provide an equally beneficial platform for navel gazing?  Or guided meditation?  Or even just spending some time thinking about our inner shortcomings?  My question wasn't about the concept behind personality tests in general but why this particular one is worth spending so much time and energy on.

Because people are different. There are different kinds of exercise because our minds and bodies have different preferences. Similarly, there needs to be different kinds of personality tests because they don't all work equally well for everyone.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Our church has small groups 3 times a year, this one is going over the enneagram. 

I had to look this up too. I had only heard of it before in connection with Scientology and didn't really know what it was. I learned that it has quite old origins and has become popular among many Christian groups. It looks interesting as a tool to explore.

p.s. Congratulations on the house!!!

On 6/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I would imagine that the idea of an algorithm knowing more about me than I do about myself would be equally ludicrous?   After all, our own self image is what we use to validate the feedback we get from the assessment.  

I don't think it knows more about you than you do about yourself, but it can provide some food for thought. Different assessments can be valuable in different ways, highlighting different types of traits. Just like different kinds of exercise. Organized religious ceremonies and self-guided meditation can both be valuable, but they are different, and people can take different things from time.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I took one of the several tests I intend to take, and I came out as a type 9.

Ooh, interesting. And makes sense. Nines do sometimes have to give more attention to setting boundaries and standing up for themselves than other types (even in their own heads and hearts, not just outwardly to others!), so that would fit with what I know about you. Most INFP's are 4s but you're not as much of a diva as that.  :D 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I looked it up and it seems to be another personality test similar to those INTJ type things people often refer too (Briggs Myers or something?)  How is this different from something like that, and what does knowing your result personality from this test really tell you that you didn't already know about yourself?  

The way I see it is that the Myers-Briggs test tells you how you interact with the world, while the Enneagram tells you why. The Enneagram is much more about your childhood, fears, motivations, goals, and so forth. 

I am honestly still figuring out if the complexity of the Enneagram is worth the insights it gives me, but I have definitely noticed the language of the books and articles coming up in my daily self-reflections, which is helpful. 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:36 AM, scalyfreak said:

Agreed!! And sometimes I find that personality tests give me language for things that I've always felt, but never quite knew how to describe. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:06 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I don't know, it seems like a convenient way to put a label on someone and throw them into whatever box the assessment assigns.  Assuming someone is behaving a certain way because of a given personality type rather than due to personal experience or a myriad of various factors could potentially create more problems than it solves?  Especially given that everyone is a complex mix of personality types anyway (as you mentioned)

I don't think any assessment is needed to come to this conclusion.  

You said your question was about why this particular test was worth so much time and energy.  I think I can only answer that it's worth it for me. It is helping me find new ways of understanding myself and new waysof thinking about how to learn into my strengths. 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, scalyfreak said:

Because people are different. There are different kinds of exercise because our minds and bodies have different preferences. Similarly, there needs to be different kinds of personality tests because they don't all work equally well for everyone.

Agreed. No one test can tell you everything, and different tests help some people and not others. 

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I had to look this up too. I had only heard of it before in connection with Scientology and didn't really know what it was. I learned that it has quite old origins and has become popular among many Christian groups. It looks interesting as a tool to explore.

p.s. Congratulations on the house!!!

I don't think it knows more about you than you do about yourself, but it can provide some food for thought. Different assessments can be valuable in different ways, highlighting different types of traits. Just like different kinds of exercise. Organized religious ceremonies and self-guided meditation can both be valuable, but they are different, and people can take different things from time.

Thanks.  

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Ooh, interesting. And makes sense. Nines do sometimes have to give more attention to setting boundaries and standing up for themselves than other types (even in their own heads and hearts, not just outwardly to others!), so that would fit with what I know about you. Most INFP's are 4s but you're not as much of a diva as that.  :D 

The way I see it is that the Myers-Briggs test tells you how you interact with the world, while the Enneagram tells you why. The Enneagram is much more about your childhood, fears, motivations, goals, and so forth. 

I am honestly still figuring out if the complexity of the Enneagram is worth the insights it gives me, but I have definitely noticed the language of the books and articles coming up in my daily self-reflections, which is helpful. 

Agreed!! And sometimes I find that personality tests give me language for things that I've always felt, but never quite knew how to describe. 

The enneagram is speaking to me in a way the MBTI never did. It's helping me understand my leadership style as well. 

Today us a good day. Did the NF KB workout, spend some time at the police substation, went to a continuing education seminar on burnout, and hung out with some church friends. 

• Like 5

On 6/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, scalyfreak said:

+

15 hours ago, Xena said:

+

14 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Thanks for the responses but that wasn't what I was asking.  

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You said your question was about why this particular test was worth so much time and energy.  I think I can only answer that it's worth it for me. It is helping me find new ways of understanding myself and new waysof thinking about how to learn into my strengths. 

+

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The enneagram is speaking to me in a way the MBTI never did. It's helping me understand my leadership style as well. 

+

14 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Thanks, this is more what I was trying to understand.  Of all of the different assessments out there, this one is getting a lot of attention recently, including a series of sermons and I was trying to understand what it is about this particular one that it would get singled out in this way.  Do you feel that the additional insights this gives you are due to something inherent in the framework of the assessment or because it requires different input that draws from a broader set of data points?  In other words, is the difference in the inputs or in the analysis of the output?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks, this is more what I was trying to understand.  Of all of the different assessments out there, this one is getting a lot of attention recently, including a series of sermons and I was trying to understand what it is about this particular one that it would get singled out in this way.  Do you feel that the additional insights this gives you are due to something inherent in the framework of the assessment or because it requires different input that draws from a broader set of data points?  In other words, is the difference in the inputs or in the analysis of the output?

I really don't know how to answer. I think the framework of the assessment is why it requires different input. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is a good day. We went and both got Chiropractic Adjustments. The chiropractor who saw us is a mother, and got adjustments regularly when she was pregnant. She gave Sra. Tanque her first ever adjustment, and one tailored to pregnancy. We both felt better. We then went to IKEA for the first time ever and had a great time. We bought a few small things for the baby and got some candy and chocolate for us, as well as some jam and marmalade. We were there early, so instead of meatballs we had second breakfast which was good and low price. It must be a loss leader for the store so they can sell more furniture. We then went grocery shopping and went to our small group, which was a lot of fun. We talked about our Enneagram numbers (or what we think they are).

Eat: Breakfast at home, second breakfast at IKEA, didn't really have lunch, dinner was leftovers of things I had cooked before.

Move: I'm counting IKEA as move for the day, we walked the whole store.

Rest: The Chiropractor and the small group were resftul and restorative.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is a tough question to answer, but if I had to take a stab at it, I think it's a slightly different set of inputs (but I would say the inputs overlap). Questions on the Myers-Briggs assessments deal with things like where you sit in a room, how you prefer to learn new information, whether you're spontaneous or a planner, and so on - it looks at patterns of past behavior. The Enneagram does some of that too, but it also asks about your inner life, like how things make you feel, how you describe your personality, what motivates you, and so on. So the inputs for the MBTI are primarily (though not entirely) behavior, while the Enneagram inputs are primarily (though not entirely) thoughts, feelings, and attitudes.

I have found both of these assessments useful in different ways. The MBTI reassured me that I wasn't alone and that there were other INFP's out there like me. The MBTI is also my go-to tool for quickly sizing up new people, as I'm good at quickly picking up cues to give me rough estimates of their type; and since I know the types well, it helps me get an idea of what I might expect from their behavior (of course this is rough and imprecise, and I have to regularly adapt my mental model of the people, but it's a useful initial tool). The Enneagram is more explicitly about self-discovery and self-improvement than the MBTI, and it has helped me spot behavior patterns in myself that I wasn't aware of before and grow away from them. It's especially good at suggesting unhealthy behaviors and attitudes you may be prone to, based on your number, and providing concrete (often spiritual or faith-based) suggestions on how to change those behaviors.

Does that help?  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

The Enneagram is more explicitly about self-discovery and self-improvement than the MBTI, and it has helped me spot behavior patterns in myself that I wasn't aware of before and grow away from them. It's especially good at suggesting unhealthy behaviors and attitudes you may be prone to, based on your number, and providing concrete (often spiritual or faith-based) suggestions on how to change those behaviors.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.  

:) 

Friday was a good day.

Eat: Went to my parent's for lunch, and out for dinner.

Move: Not really.

Rest: Took it easy, was off from work. We went to a scratch and dent place to look at fridges. Too early to buy one, but we got an idea of how they do pricing. Also went to a kid's consignment store and were a little disappointed. We were hoping for furniture, but it was mostly clothes. 

Saturday was a good day.

Eat: More hobbit like, that is, more frequent meals and smaller. 

Move: Went on a 2.5 mile walk through a greenbelt/park. It felt REALLY good to get back out under trees for exercise. 

Rest: Another day off from work. Went to my 20th High School Reunion. It was just one event,  but we got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen for 20 years. I got to show off my beautiful wife who happened to be pregnant. Got a lot of congratulations. I also got compliments on my beard :) I couldn't really grow a decent beard until a few years ago, so that was new for everyone there. The interesting thing was that there were people there who's children were just graduating themselves, and there I was with our first kid on the way (there were a few others in a similar situation). All in all a good day.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The interesting thing was that there were people there who's children were just graduating themselves, and there I was with our first kid on the way (there were a few others in a similar situation).

We sometimes get this as well, where we are the same age as other people, but their kids are graduating while ours are only just in the double digits (10/12yrs respectively). Glad you two had a good time at the reunion.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

We sometimes get this as well, where we are the same age as other people, but their kids are graduating while ours are only just in the double digits (10/12yrs respectively). Glad you two had a good time at the reunion.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Hey, Chromdome...

image.jpeg.940b74b3d4bb8106e2da3bdc77ba4cfa.jpeg

Related image

Love ya man ;) 

Related image

Wolf

Little Buddy Wolfpool make vik kind remarks. Is vy are friends. Spasiba you crazy avocado faced superhero.

Yesterday was a good day. We went to a Tapas bar (you really gotta be careful how you pronounce that) for lunch to celebrate my birthday a day early, it was incredible. We had croquetas de jamon, bocorones, and tortilla espanola as our tapas, then had Paella de Montana (pretend there is a ~ over that n), which has rabbit, chorizo (Spanish, not Mexican) and pork belly. It was all really good.

Today I found out our Appraisal has already comes back and looks good! I got movers hired and a truck rented.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

birthday-wishes.jpg

I'm not sure what the meerkat is doing...  Happy Birthday young man!!!  

AND

Congrats on buying a house!!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terra said:

birthday-wishes.jpg

I'm not sure what the meerkat is doing...  Happy Birthday young man!!!  

AND

Congrats on buying a house!!! 

I think the meerkat is having a good time. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Happy Birthday! Have a beer.

H2Eg.gif

I approve of this GIF.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Little Buddy Wolfpool make vik kind remarks. Is vy are friends. Spasiba you crazy avocado faced superhero.

:) I got yo back, big dawg! 

Image result for deadpool gif

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

esterday was a good day. We went to a Tapas bar (you really gotta be careful how you pronounce that) for lunch to celebrate my birthday a day early, it was incredible. We had croquetas de jamon, bocorones, and tortilla espanola as our tapas, then had Paella de Montana (pretend there is a ~ over that n), which has rabbit, chorizo (Spanish, not Mexican) and pork belly. It was all really good.

Today I found out our Appraisal has already comes back and looks good! I got movers hired and a truck rented.

Dang dude! Lunch sounds hella good! And congratz on the appraisal coming back with all the check marks ;)

Wolf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Xena said:

image.png

11 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Omg Birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Thank you everyone!

20 minutes ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

:) I got yo back, big dawg! 

Image result for deadpool gif

Dang dude! Lunch sounds hella good! And congratz on the appraisal coming back with all the check marks ;)

Wolf

Lunch was really good.

Yesterday was a good day. As I said, we heard the appraisal came back positive, and I hired movers. Now we need to pack. Also, Sra. Tanque cooked dinner. We have been eating out too much, so we discussed things and came up with some new ideas. She made spaghetti. We are going to find ways to increase her cooking confidence. I'll still be the main cook, but knowing she might cook once or twice a week makes it easier for me to cook the rest of the time.

• Like 9

Is Sra. Tanque looking for new recipes to try? What kind of foods does she like?

We went through this with my husband when I went on the road. Up until that time, I did almost all of the cooking (I love to cook, so it wasn't difficult) and he wasn't one for much of anything in the kitchen. I know I have some pretty simple tasty recipes if you all would like?

• Like 2