• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yesterday was a good day. As I said, we heard the appraisal came back positive, and I hired movers. Now we need to pack. Also, Sra. Tanque cooked dinner. We have been eating out too much, so we discussed things and came up with some new ideas. She made spaghetti. We are going to find ways to increase her cooking confidence. I'll still be the main cook, but knowing she might cook once or twice a week makes it easier for me to cook the rest of the time.

Did say happy! happy! on Facebook, but once again... Happy Birthday!

Congrats on the appraisal and getting everything in line, and good luck with the cooking-sort-of-instructions! That can be quite fun :D(depending on the state of the pots afterwards, and who has to wash it)

• Like 1

*insert super plus x1000 pompom-shakery with confetti, glitter, streamers, and a lightshow*

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Is Sra. Tanque looking for new recipes to try? What kind of foods does she like?

We went through this with my husband when I went on the road. Up until that time, I did almost all of the cooking (I love to cook, so it wasn't difficult) and he wasn't one for much of anything in the kitchen. I know I have some pretty simple tasty recipes if you all would like?

Can't hurt, please send them on.

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Did say happy! happy! on Facebook, but once again... Happy Birthday!

Congrats on the appraisal and getting everything in line, and good luck with the cooking-sort-of-instructions! That can be quite fun :D(depending on the state of the pots afterwards, and who has to wash it)

Thank you! Cleaning up isn't as big a deal. Generally whomever cooks doesn't have to clean.

4 hours ago, Miaulin said:

*insert super plus x1000 pompom-shakery with confetti, glitter, streamers, and a lightshow*

Why thank you!

• Like 3

As someone who doesn’t cook, if you’re only doing it once or twice a week, you only need a few easy, reliable recipes - tacos, spaghetti, pizza, quiche. By the time you cycle through them enough time will have passed to start over.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As someone who doesn’t cook, if you’re only doing it once or twice a week, you only need a few easy, reliable recipes - tacos, spaghetti, pizza, quiche. By the time you cycle through them enough time will have passed to start over.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

A birthday and a new house? That's too much going on for one week.

It gets better. We have set our 2nd anniversary as moving day. That's right. For our anniversary, we are getting ourselves a house.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

As someone who lacks kitchen confidence, this is my favorite recipe. Its so easy and cooks under the broiler nicely. And it goes with everything! Rice, salad, casseroles, its just a great chicken recipe. 

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/pepper-lime-chicken/

Thanks, I'll pass this along.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We have set our 2nd anniversary as moving day.

That's pretty sweet! (Sweet in the nice sentimental sense, not the slangy skater (?) sense).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Happy Birthday!!!

Also, congratulations on the house.  How close is it to the first place you made an offer on?

It's further west, and frankly I like the location a lot better than the first house. It's also bigger and in way better shape. There are also fewer foundation issues (that neighborhood is one of the few without a lot of foundation troubles). That first house also used aluminum wiring (it was code at the time, but that causes a lot of problems). The house we walked away from has dropped it's price twice since our deal fell through.

3 hours ago, Xena said:

That's pretty sweet! (Sweet in the nice sentimental sense, not the slangy skater (?) sense).

Thanks!

Yesterday was good, but not much to report.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The house we walked away from has dropped it's price twice since our deal fell through.

They’ll have to, in order to sell the darn thing.  That or fix it themselves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rinna said:

They’ll have to, in order to sell the darn thing.  That or fix it themselves.

I admit to some Schadenfreude watching the price fall.

Today is a good day. Got a call from the mortgage people and we are confirmed for closing Thursday of next week pending final audit! We have packed up the guest room already. I have also set up internet, water, and electricity (not hooked up for natural gas, and trash pickup is tied to the electric bill). We also found out our cash to close is about $3000 less than the initial quote from the mortgage company, so that's more money to get stuff when we do get the house.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

to get stuff

It's a well know principle of physics that the mass of your stuff will expand to completely fill the volume of whatever home you purchase, with virtually no loss in the stuff's density.  The stuff can never be re-compressed in the future, and excess stuff must be moved into off-site storage facilities, wherein its inertia will increase exponentially with the passage of time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

On 6/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Cheetah said:

It's a well know principle of physics that the mass of your stuff will expand to completely fill the volume of whatever home you purchase, with virtually no loss in the stuff's density.  The stuff can never be re-compressed in the future, and excess stuff must be moved into off-site storage facilities, wherein its inertia will increase exponentially with the passage of time.

True fact.  We fill a 10-15 yard dumpster every 2-3 years will all that stuff.  (It also breeds like rabbits when you aren’t looking.)

• Like 3

On 6/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, Cheetah said:

I agree.

10 hours ago, Rinna said:

True fact.  We fill a 10-15 yard dumpster every 2-3 years will all that stuff.  (It also breeds like rabbits when you aren’t looking.)

Good on you for clearing it out regularly. Some people actively hold on to that stuff. If anyone ever feels they have too much stuff, binging some Hoarders episodes then watching Marie Kondo's Netflix special is a good way to prime the pump to clean out.

Challenge Wrap up:

I ate plenty and rested quite a bit, not much movement. After the move, the next big challenge is going to be jump starting movement again. As we were packing some boxes of books and I was moving around it was painfully apparent (emotional pain, that is) how much fitness I've lost since we moved in to the place. I want to get that back, and movement is how that is going to happen. For now, it will require getting through the move so I can begin to move again.

• Like 8

Congratulations on the house! Maybe since you are going to be super busy with moving, just to start a habit of 5- 10 minutes of moving a day. Just some gentle warm up, and then 10 pushups and BW squats

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congratulations on the house! Maybe since you are going to be super busy with moving, just to start a habit of 5- 10 minutes of moving a day. Just some gentle warm up, and then 10 pushups and BW squats

That's not a bad idea.

Today is a good day. We packed some more boxes before I went to work.

• Like 8

Fellow non-cooker here, my go-to is to throw some frozen and/or canned vegetables (always diced green peppers and onions, sometimes other stuff) into a skillet with some oil, sautee those until they're starting to get brown / clear, then add some diced chicken and get that good and cooked, then add some pre-cooked rice and fry all that together, and then to add some seasoning of choice, typically one of these:  https://www.ishopindian.com/Buy-Shan-Masala-Online/ 

It's warm and spicy and makes me feel loved.  :)  Last time I threw some canned tomatoes in with the peppers and onions and that added a lovely spot of color. 

Congrats again on the new house - I'm so happy for you!!

• Like 3

happy birthday, and happy new house!

how do you guys sort out the dish-doing? I only ask because for me, it's not the cooking that's tiring, it's the cleanup afterward.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's further west, and frankly I like the location a lot better than the first house. It's also bigger and in way better shape. There are also fewer foundation issues (that neighborhood is one of the few without a lot of foundation troubles). That first house also used aluminum wiring (it was code at the time, but that causes a lot of problems). The house we walked away from has dropped it's price twice since our deal fell through.

Wow, things are really working out for the better, especially with less money to pay too. Good luck with all the packing (most done by the sounds of it), and arrangements. The biggest shlep with moving are taking down, washing, and putting up the curtains again.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, Elastigirl said:

That sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:26 PM, SkyGirl said:

Fellow non-cooker here, my go-to is to throw some frozen and/or canned vegetables (always diced green peppers and onions, sometimes other stuff) into a skillet with some oil, sautee those until they're starting to get brown / clear, then add some diced chicken and get that good and cooked, then add some pre-cooked rice and fry all that together, and then to add some seasoning of choice, typically one of these:  https://www.ishopindian.com/Buy-Shan-Masala-Online/ 

It's warm and spicy and makes me feel loved.  :)  Last time I threw some canned tomatoes in with the peppers and onions and that added a lovely spot of color. 

Congrats again on the new house - I'm so happy for you!!

That sounds good! And Thanks!

On 6/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, DJtrippyT said:

happy birthday, and happy new house!

how do you guys sort out the dish-doing? I only ask because for me, it's not the cooking that's tiring, it's the cleanup afterward.

Generally the one who cooks doesn't clean. As for day to day stuff, Sra. Tanque generally loads and unloads the dishwasher.

12 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Wow, things are really working out for the better, especially with less money to pay too. Good luck with all the packing (most done by the sounds of it), and arrangements. The biggest shlep with moving are taking down, washing, and putting up the curtains again.

That sounds like a great idea.

Thank you. The packing has just begun, there's still a lot to do. We don't have many curtains right now, because we didn't need many. We had really good blinds and just never bothered with curtains except in our guest room. 

Today is a good day. I feel like I am beginning to heal from burnout, and church helped!

I also made the new challenge forums live! Here is my thread:

• Like 5