Eat. Move. Rest. Tanktimus Takes Care of Himself

Yikes, I think I'll stick to calling it a toasted cheese, or toasted ham and cheese sandwich. I do not want to call the ire of such a passionate person on myself :D

And yes, I first toast the bread in a toaster, then add insides. I don't have an electric grill, except the one in the oven, and I'm not going to use that for two or three sandwiches.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

But I'm confused, a hot ham and melted cheese sandwich is not a "ham melt," it's a "grilled ham & cheese." In all other regards I can agree with u/Fuck_Blue_Shells but on this one exception I must stand my ground. A ham melt. Who's ever heard of such a thing?! 

All these other excellent points about how grilled cheese is not made on a grill are also super valid. But I am from the USA and will continue to call melted-cheese-and-buttered-bread-and-optional-ham-if-you're-feeling-bougie sandwiches "grilled cheese" because that's how it's done. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

But I'm confused, a hot ham and melted cheese sandwich is not a "ham melt," it's a "grilled ham & cheese."

Here in South Africa we never use the word "melt". Shops that sell sandwiches call it either toasted or grilled, but mostly toasted. And if there is only cheese, we call it a toasted cheese. Lol, "ham melt" makes me think that the ham is melting in the sandwich. :D Each to their own I say, as long as you know what you are getting in the end, and enjoy it!

"Elke diertjie, sy plesiertjie".

(Literally translated means let each little animal have his little pleasure).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Each to their own I say, as long as you know what you are getting in the end, and enjoy it!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I meant what I said about "ham melt" as one American to another (reddit meltdown dude), but calling melted cheese sandwiches anything other than "grilled" or "melt" is not forbidden. To be honest, I'd prefer it if we could adopt South Africa's method and call toasted things toast (although in the States "toast" usually calls to mind open-face sandwiches). But alas, we are Americans, and not known for our logic in nomenclature... or anything else, for that matter. 

Mostly I'm just being a little brat and poking holes in meltdown dude's argument. Elke diertjie, sy plesiertjie, except when the little animal's pleasure is telling me what to call grilled ham and cheese. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4
8 hours ago, deftona said:

But but but as a British person I have no idea why you call it grilled cheese since it goes nowhere near a grill. Is it not made in a frying pan?

In this case it's not "grilled", it's "gri'led": a shortening of the word "griddled" which then morphed to assume the form of an already-familiar-but-slightly-misleading term.

Also, I made that up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

In this case it's not "grilled", it's "gri'led": a shortening of the word "griddled" which then morphed to assume the form of an already-familiar-but-slightly-misleading term.

Also, I made that up.
No this makes me feel a lot better, thank you for your beautiful lies.
  • Like 6

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I agree with the Reddit meltdown.

I think I do too.

11 hours ago, deftona said:

But but but as a British person I have no idea why you call it grilled cheese since it goes nowhere near a grill. Is it not made in a frying pan?

DFG explained the etymology better than I could. I will say they are ususally made in either a frying pan or a griddle.

10 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Yikes, I think I'll stick to calling it a toasted cheese, or toasted ham and cheese sandwich. I do not want to call the ire of such a passionate person on myself :D

And yes, I first toast the bread in a toaster, then add insides. I don't have an electric grill, except the one in the oven, and I'm not going to use that for two or three sandwiches.

To make an american grilled cheese one does not toast the cheese ahead of time. One butters two slices of bread then puts the buttered sides together. The cheese is then added to the top slice of bread. One then removes the top slice of bread, and puts it buttered side down on the hot surface. Then the other piece of bread is laid on the cheese, buttered side up. At the appropriate time, the whole sandwich is flipped. As the heat melts the butter, then the heat is transferred inside the sandwich, and the cheese melts while the bread toasts. 

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

But I'm confused, a hot ham and melted cheese sandwich is not a "ham melt," it's a "grilled ham & cheese." In all other regards I can agree with u/Fuck_Blue_Shells but on this one exception I must stand my ground. A ham melt. Who's ever heard of such a thing?! 

All these other excellent points about how grilled cheese is not made on a grill are also super valid. But I am from the USA and will continue to call melted-cheese-and-buttered-bread-and-optional-ham-if-you're-feeling-bougie sandwiches "grilled cheese" because that's how it's done. 

I think calling it a grilled ham AND cheese would fit within the confines of Mr. Blue Shells' parameters. He was complaining because the melts were being posted in a subreddit entitled "Grilled Cheese." I stand with his convictions that once something is added, it is no longer a grilled cheese. 

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Here in South Africa we never use the word "melt". Shops that sell sandwiches call it either toasted or grilled, but mostly toasted. And if there is only cheese, we call it a toasted cheese. Lol, "ham melt" makes me think that the ham is melting in the sandwich. :D Each to their own I say, as long as you know what you are getting in the end, and enjoy it!

"Elke diertjie, sy plesiertjie".

(Literally translated means let each little animal have his little pleasure).

Melt refers to the melted cheese that happens during the toasting process (See my explanation above).

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I meant what I said about "ham melt" as one American to another (reddit meltdown dude), but calling melted cheese sandwiches anything other than "grilled" or "melt" is not forbidden. To be honest, I'd prefer it if we could adopt South Africa's method and call toasted things toast (although in the States "toast" usually calls to mind open-face sandwiches). But alas, we are Americans, and not known for our logic in nomenclature... or anything else, for that matter. 

Mostly I'm just being a little brat and poking holes in meltdown dude's argument. Elke diertjie, sy plesiertjie, except when the little animal's pleasure is telling me what to call grilled ham and cheese. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for our nomenclature, English was already a bastardized language by the time the US was founded. Someone once said, "English isn't a language, it's three languages standing on each other's shoulders in a trench coat."  Then with our immigrant culture even more languages and traditions were absorbed into US English. With regards to the subreddit, I think Shells' weakest point is in insisting that grilled ham and cheese be called a melt. I do agree, however, that they have at that point ceased to be simply grilled cheese, but grilled ham and cheese, or even "Grilled cheese with ham."

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Also, I made that up.

I like your style.

2 hours ago, deftona said:
2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Also, I made that up.

No this makes me feel a lot better, thank you for your beautiful lies.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Hazard said:

I want to eat this thread.  I shouldn’t have come in here.  Gimme Cheeeeeeeeese!!  

Yeah, about that, I forgot to put up my normal warning not to come here hungry. 

This is late, but don't read my thread when you are hungry.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 5/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Please don't read this and think you can't reach out to me, you still can. I just know what's going to help me recover, and I may not be able to follow some of you that I've been checking in on each challenge.

Every one of us are ultimately here for our own benefit. Be it for physical health, for mental health, or for both, the reason we arrived and the reason we stayed, is because this community gives us something. Why should you be different? Do what you need to do to get the most benefit from of the Rebellion! That's the whole point. ;)

• Like 7

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

To make an american grilled cheese one does not toast the cheese ahead of time. One butters two slices of bread then puts the buttered sides together. The cheese is then added to the top slice of bread. One then removes the top slice of bread, and puts it buttered side down on the hot surface. Then the other piece of bread is laid on the cheese, buttered side up. At the appropriate time, the whole sandwich is flipped. As the heat melts the butter, then the heat is transferred inside the sandwich, and the cheese melts while the bread toasts. 

Mmm, so about how I would make a snackwich, two slices of buttered (on the outside) bread, with cheese inside, except snackwich ends up in triangles and I don't have to flip the bread around as much :D .

I think your explanation is how shops make toasted cheese sandwiches here.

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is late, but don't read my thread when you are hungry.

You should put it in your signature in capitals, or something, so it's up permanently :D Luckily I just had my bowl of cereal. Not that it really helps against temptation, but ...

• Like 2

I think all you folks are wrong, you’re clearly talking about cheese toasties. Grilled cheese is bread, toasted on one side, with melted cheese on the other.  And it’s cooked under a grill (or “broiler” for you yanks). :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

15 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Every one of us are ultimately here for our own benefit. Be it for physical health, for mental health, or for both, the reason we arrived and the reason we stayed, is because this community gives us something. Why should you be different? Do what you need to do to get the most benefit from of the Rebellion! That's the whole point. ;)

Thank you very much.

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Mmm, so about how I would make a snackwich, two slices of buttered (on the outside) bread, with cheese inside, except snackwich ends up in triangles and I don't have to flip the bread around as much :D .

I think your explanation is how shops make toasted cheese sandwiches here.

You should put it in your signature in capitals, or something, so it's up permanently :D Luckily I just had my bowl of cereal. Not that it really helps against temptation, but ...

A tag on the thread might work...

32 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

I think all you folks are wrong, you’re clearly talking about cheese toasties. Grilled cheese is bread, toasted on one side, with melted cheese on the other.  And it’s cooked under a grill (or “broiler” for you yanks). :P 

Ach, ye dinnae ken tha' in tha' wurds a' Mark Twain we be tae different peapples sep'rated by a common language?

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Friday was a good day (mostly)

Eat: A bagel I think for breakfast. Lunch was a frozen lasagna I heated in the oven. Dinner was at the cafeteria at work. I had indigestion all afternoon and evening, it was uncomfortable.

Move: No, see rest.

Rest: Spent all morning and early afternoon watching Star Trek TNG on Netflix (with an original series episode thrown in there). It was very refreshing.

• Like 8

Current Challenge

I'm liking your "eat...move...rest" format. It's economical and seems well aligned with actual life goals.

I also love the reddit meltdown guy. Don't quite agree with him, but gotta respect the passion. I'm pretty partial to a "grilled cheese and tomato." Generally with bread buttered and then the whole thing cooked in a pan as described previously. When no butter/pan/stove is available, I also have been known to resort to what I call "poor man's grilled cheese"...bread in the toaster and then the whole thing in the microwave. Nowhere near as good, but sometimes it's all you've got.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 5/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, I fully expect life to be easier to deal with once I stop artificially increasing the difficulty level with perfectionism.

So hard to do sometimes. I guess it's a problem many of us have... I know I use it as an excuse to procrastinate or simply don't do things. 'I know I can't do it perfectly so may as well don't do it at all.'

• Like 2

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

My own page!  // Instagram

Made it a week late and 3 pages in...it's a good day :) 

I too have the desire to follow everyone, just lack the time

On 5/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, scalyfreak said:

I love this and agree 1000%

Looking forward to reading about the Tanks finding their dream home :D 

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

13 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm liking your "eat...move...rest" format. It's economical and seems well aligned with actual life goals.

I also love the reddit meltdown guy. Don't quite agree with him, but gotta respect the passion. I'm pretty partial to a "grilled cheese and tomato." Generally with bread buttered and then the whole thing cooked in a pan as described previously. When no butter/pan/stove is available, I also have been known to resort to what I call "poor man's grilled cheese"...bread in the toaster and then the whole thing in the microwave. Nowhere near as good, but sometimes it's all you've got.

Thanks. I've done the microwave grilled cheese before. It was...edible.

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Rest up buddy. 

I plan to, thanks.

23 minutes ago, jcmgm said:

So hard to do sometimes. I guess it's a problem many of us have... I know I use it as an excuse to procrastinate or simply don't do things. 'I know I can't do it perfectly so may as well don't do it at all.'

It can be overcome (so I've read).

14 minutes ago, RES said:

Made it a week late and 3 pages in...it's a good day :) 

I too have the desire to follow everyone, just lack the time

I love this and agree 1000%

Looking forward to reading about the Tanks finding their dream home :D 

You're not late. The challenge starts today. You're right on time.

This was a good weekend.

Saturday:

Eat: I forget everything I ate. I did cook lunch. I made a salad with 6 strips of bacon I had chopped then fried. I then cooked chopped chicken thighs in that grease with salt, pepper and white wine vinegar. I added all that to some baby spinach. I then added sunflower seeds. I dressed it in a mixture of: Olive oil, honey, whole grain mustard, Whataburger mustard, apple cider vinegar and a little mayo. It was incredible.

Move: Not really

Rest: Took it easy at work and still got things done.

Sunday:

Eat: Breakfast was regular stuff, lunch was out. Dinner was bacon egg and cheese sandwhiches I made myself.

Move: See below.

Rest: This was a deliberate rest day. Went to church then watched some netflix and just generally enjoyed spending time with Sra Tanque. It was the most restful Sunday I've had in a long time.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

Yesterday was a good day.

Eat: Breakfast was a bagel and fritattas, lunch was salisbury steak with veggies and mashed potatoes. It was a holiday in the US, but I still had to go to far hospital for work, lunch was in the cafeteria there. Yeah time and a half. Dinner was at Whataburger.

Move: Not really.

Rest: Took it easy in the evening, but that is normal.

• Like 8

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

lunch was salisbury steak

Hmmm, I could really go for one of those

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I saw this and obviously thought of Baby Tank.

1926 Carden-Lloyd two-man tankette
925d149de90b3c2aae462e564aa87cc7.jpg

Awwwww.... it's sooo cute!! :wub:

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

I know I'm super late to the game but I feel like i have to ask....do sandwich presses not exist in America? We have a whole kitchen appliance dedicated to making "toasted sandwiches" as they are most commonly called here in Aus. I would say that at least one of these would exist in almost every work place kitchenette. 

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/small-kitchen-appliances/grills-and-sandwich-presses/sandwich-presses

(or jaffles, but that's getting controversial because I would say a jaffle is when the edges of the toasted sandwich are sealed by some kind of heated mould either in an electric appliance or old fashioned iron in the fire).

• Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

6 hours ago, Emerald Eagle said:

I know I'm super late to the game but I feel like i have to ask....do sandwich presses not exist in America?

They do. We just call them something different, and they have a few different names. I use mine for grilled sandwiches. Also for pork chops.

• Like 1