Eat. Move. Rest. Tanktimus Takes Care of Himself

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hmmm, I could really go for one of those

I hope you get one better than mine was. The gravy was insufficient on mine.

19 hours ago, Moros said:

Resting for at least three days in a row:

picard_clapping.gif

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I saw this and obviously thought of Baby Tank.

1926 Carden-Lloyd two-man tankette
925d149de90b3c2aae462e564aa87cc7.jpg

Well, of course. It takes a while to develop the rotating turret, and the full cannon develops later.

9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Awwwww.... it's sooo cute!! :wub:

It is.

6 hours ago, Emerald Eagle said:

I know I'm super late to the game but I feel like i have to ask....do sandwich presses not exist in America? We have a whole kitchen appliance dedicated to making "toasted sandwiches" as they are most commonly called here in Aus. I would say that at least one of these would exist in almost every work place kitchenette. 

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/small-kitchen-appliances/grills-and-sandwich-presses/sandwich-presses

(or jaffles, but that's getting controversial because I would say a jaffle is when the edges of the toasted sandwich are sealed by some kind of heated mould either in an electric appliance or old fashioned iron in the fire).

They have them, but they aren't used much. They get used for cuban sandwiches or paninis. 

1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

They do. We just call them something different, and they have a few different names. I use mine for grilled sandwiches. Also for pork chops.

We have limited counter space right now, but I'm so used to using the skillet I'm not sure I'd change. When I was an undergrad the cafeteria would leave out the waffle iron through lunch on Saturday. Many of us would use it to make grilled cheese.

Yesterday was a good day.

Eat: Didn't cook, but had three meals.

Move: No.

Rest: after getting home from work we watch Men In Tights and relaxed.

• Like 9

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Love that movie! 

Image result for men in tights gif

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you get one better than mine was. The gravy was insufficient on mine.

Have you ever had them Japanese style (what they call Hamburg Steak)?  The meat part is essentially the same, but instead of gravy you grind up a white radish (the big Asian ones) into a paste and then add some soy sauce.  SO GOOD!

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The meat part is essentially the same, but instead of gravy you grind up a white radish (the big Asian ones) into a paste and then add some soy sauce.  SO GOOD!

Super curious about that. Wondering what else it would be good on...

So is it just grated raw radish? (daikon??) or ground up how?

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

17 minutes ago, Xena said:

It is also really, really good on baked mackerel (or pike). 

Yes,  grated raw daikon ground up using a cheese grater (not into slices/strips but into more of a mushy pulp) and then add just enough soy sauce to change the color. 

ETA: you can also google "Daikon Oroshi" for more information about it

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Love that movie! 

Image result for men in tights gif

Wolf

It would be a good one for us and our spouses to watch all together.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Have you ever had them Japanese style (what they call Hamburg Steak)?  The meat part is essentially the same, but instead of gravy you grind up a white radish (the big Asian ones) into a paste and then add some soy sauce.  SO GOOD!

No, I haven't. That sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Yes, it does sound intriguing. 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

It is also really, really good on baked mackerel (or pike). 

Yes,  grated raw daikon ground up using a cheese grater (not into slices/strips but into more of a mushy pulp) and then add just enough soy sauce to change the color. 

ETA: you can also google "Daikon Oroshi" for more information about it

It sounds like it goes through the grater the same way that ginger does.

Today is a good day. No workout or cooking, I was super sleepy, so I napped instead, which gets rest knocked out. We did see houses today, including one we want to make an offer on.

• Like 10

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

One of our favourites too!

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

including one we want to make an offer on.

Ooh! Good luck.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

On 5/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We did see houses today, including one we want to make an offer on.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 5/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Also, it's helpful to accept my role on the forums has changed. Gone are the days when I can follow everyone. That happened at a time when I had no responsibilities with NF (2015), and I had very little going on in general. I was just out of a bad relationship, and had not yet begun to rebuild social networks. I had plenty of time, and the forums filled much of it for me. Now I'm responsible for not just a guild but all the forums, I'm married, a baby is on the way, and we are hoping to buy a house and move in the summer. Trying to follow people like I used to would keep me from doing my best work for NF, and hamper me in my recovery from burnout. I'm already following fewer threads than I used to. I may have to follow even less this time around. (English Majors who know the less/fewer rules, please assume I used the correct one in both instances).

I feel like I still have barely half a toe in with NF and I struggle with this. I think last challenge I was trying to keep up with maybe 3 different people and even that felt overwhelming.

One of the planner people I follow (Tonya Dalton of Inkwell Press) has a book coming out called The Joy of Missing Out. While beautiful, sometimes I find the community around her stuff a little less accessible for me as a single gal with no kids (FWIW, she has a podcast called Productivity Paradox that I think is great for anybody). But I'm definitely looking forward to this book. I get FOMO so bad and want to follow all the people and participate in all the things and then I realize I have no energy and swing back the other way, becoming a complete hermit and nobody sees me for weeks. So I get the need to take a step back. I have a feeling the book will definitely have a female target audience but it might be something you'd enjoy anyway. Not sure when it's coming out but check it out.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2019 at 12:28 AM, deftona said:

But but but as a British person I have no idea why you call it grilled cheese since it goes nowhere near a grill. Is it not made in a frying pan?

I think in diners they use the words griddle and grill interchangeably, and that's pretty much the sort of place you might find a grilled cheese outside of your own kitchen. A frying pan is essentially the same kind of surface as a griddle from the grilled cheese perspective.

And I see no reason you couldn't make it on an actual grill.

• Like 3

Apparently I’ve been making grilled cheese wrong my whole life? I’m gonna go back to lurking in shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Apparently I’ve been making grilled cheese wrong my whole life? I’m gonna go back to lurking in shame. 

I use a George Forman grill. I’m sure that’s wrong, but it’s usually the easiest way to cook most things.
  • Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 5/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I love naps. It feels like hitting the reset button for the day. 

Also, exciting that you found  a house that you’re interested in! Excellent news! I hope it goes swimmingly from here!

We hope so too.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:15 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

One of our favourites too!

Ooh! Good luck.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

giphy.gif

:D 

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I hope the house hunting goes well. People keep asking me if we'll get one if I get tenure, and I have no idea. I'm too used to moving around a lot as a military brat.

Since leaving home for college the longest I've lived any place is a little over four years, everything else was two years or less. We are trying to find a home we can retire in.

8 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I feel like I still have barely half a toe in with NF and I struggle with this. I think last challenge I was trying to keep up with maybe 3 different people and even that felt overwhelming.

One of the planner people I follow (Tonya Dalton of Inkwell Press) has a book coming out called The Joy of Missing Out. While beautiful, sometimes I find the community around her stuff a little less accessible for me as a single gal with no kids (FWIW, she has a podcast called Productivity Paradox that I think is great for anybody). But I'm definitely looking forward to this book. I get FOMO so bad and want to follow all the people and participate in all the things and then I realize I have no energy and swing back the other way, becoming a complete hermit and nobody sees me for weeks. So I get the need to take a step back. I have a feeling the book will definitely have a female target audience but it might be something you'd enjoy anyway. Not sure when it's coming out but check it out.

Thanks, I've already got several books on the horizon right now, one of which is The Gifts of Imperfection.

8 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I think in diners they use the words griddle and grill interchangeably, and that's pretty much the sort of place you might find a grilled cheese outside of your own kitchen. A frying pan is essentially the same kind of surface as a griddle from the grilled cheese perspective.

True.

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

How have you been making it?

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I use a George Forman grill. I’m sure that’s wrong, but it’s usually the easiest way to cook most things.

It's not wrong. Especially if you use a flat one, it's the same thing, just faster.

Yesterday was a good day. I did everything I set out to do, except Yoga. I did laundry, entered reciepts and set a June Budget, got our earnest money back from the title company on the last house we made an offer on, did some stuff around the house, and cooked. There was probably more. We did make an offer on the house, and got a counter offer back that we accepted. Now we wait. 

Today I woke up with a headache. I hope it goes away before I have to go to work this afternoon.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

Now I want to know how you've been making them?

9 hours ago, Tesseract said:
On 5/24/2019 at 1:28 AM, deftona said:

But but but as a British person I have no idea why you call it grilled cheese since it goes nowhere near a grill. Is it not made in a frying pan?

Most restaurants in the US that I am aware of call the griddle a flat top grill. I'd never really heard the term griddle outside of the countertop plug in variety. Is it regional? 

40 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We did make an offer on the house, and got a counter offer back that we accepted. Now we wait. 

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
On 5/24/2019 at 6:28 AM, deftona said:

9 hours ago, Tesseract said:

Except that a “grill” is a completely different thing in Britain than it is in America :P  Deffy will be referring to a “broiler”. 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

7 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Now I want to know how you've been making them?

Most restaurants in the US that I am aware of call the griddle a flat top grill. I'd never really heard the term griddle outside of the countertop plug in variety. Is it regional? 

Fingers crossed!

Thanks. See below about the house.

6 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Except that a “grill” is a completely different thing in Britain than it is in America :P  Deffy will be referring to a “broiler”. 

I know someone who lived in the UK who was told that BBQ causes cancer because of the carbon that was formed on smoked meat. I strongly suspect that the person who told him that is not a good representation of UK culinary tradition.

6 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Unsurprisingly, my culinary hero has a video about that:

https://youtu.be/RllWJUvrxEY

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for linking that. That was beautiful.

6 hours ago, Tesseract said:

God I miss that show so much. In it's original incarnation.

Alton Brown is very good at what he does and his show was incredible.

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

"I'm naturally chunky"

same

I identified with that part myself.

Today is a day. The headache I mentioned earlier never got better and in fact was so bad I threw up at one point. I have decided to stay home from work and my excellent boss was super supportive about that. He gave me 0% grief for calling in an hour and a half before my shift would have started and only wished that I got better.

The offer on the house was finally picked up. I spent the morning dealing with getting checks to the title company. We are now under contract and a home inspection and termite inspection has been scheduled for Monday. I called and I'm waiting to hear back from her bank about moving forward with the mortgage application. We know HVAC system is old and are taking the risk it'll last long enough for us to be able to replace it later. The roof may or may not have hail damage. Every other roof on the cul-de-sac is new we are hoping that if there is damage the sellers homeowner insurance will facilitate replacement of the roof. Other than that we don't anticipate any problems with the home. We're willing to accept the state of the HVAC system as is. It's roof is fine we don't care that it isn't as pretty as the other roofs.

• Like 14

I hope you feel better soon and yay house!

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Oooh sounds like a nasty migraine. I hope you get well soon!

It's not a migraine, I'm not sensitive to light or sound. I used to think they were migraines till I read up on what migraines are. I don't get the aura some people describe, It's more like severe TMJ headaches, though An oral surgeon told me I don't have TMJ syndrome when he took out my wisdom teeth. Diagnosis, however, is for some reason unimportant to me when puking. I napped again and can function now, though I can tell if I move around much I'll be miserable. The good news is it no longer hurts to be alive.

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Good luck on this house! I hope we get to see pics of this one! 

Thanks! I think we'll wait till we know if the sale is going to work out or not before I post pics. The inspection will be monday. When we are confident the sale will go all the through those pictures will be up.

4 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I hope you feel better soon and yay house!

Thank you!

• Like 8