• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Ranger Tavern, Inn and de facto Guild Hall [General Chat]

On 5/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, Cheetah said:

I like to rub bacon grease on my chest and then go visit the local dog shelter.

Doesn’t everyone?

For all you bullet journalers out there, I highly reccomend this product

1614481C-D3AC-4C47-9A94-55AC074AAD1B.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Lady Rangers, especially those who are outside a lot, tell me your favorite face lotion/moisturizer. The discussion of booty lotion over on @deftona's thread reminded me I want to splurge on some decent skincare, to remain irresistably supple and vibrant, and not look like a raspberry all summer.

Talk at me. Dudes with good skincare advice are welcome to join in

I use Aveeno Clear Complexion lotion during the day (decent SPF plus salicylic acid for acne) and Aveeno Simply Radiant night cream. The daytime lotion has never let me down in protecting me from sunburn, and they both seem to keep me decently hydrated (my skin is super dry even in summer)!

Oil of Olay's daytime lotion is good too - I switched because I wanted something with acne treatment, but I used that for years and even put it on my shoulders as sunscreen in a pinch.

• Like 1

The small, sweaty Ranger wearing the lightest, simplest linen garment she could find comes rushing into the Guildhall, her hair frizzed up like a cloud from the sticky hot air in her village. "I'm late," she gasps apologetically as she sags against the bar (but quickly stands up again when the barkeep frowns and wipes her drips of sweat off the countertop). The barkeep sighs slightly and hands her a clean towel and a cold drink: 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

The small, sweaty Ranger wearing the lightest, simplest linen garment she could find comes rushing into the Guildhall, her hair frizzed up like a cloud from the sticky hot air in her village. "I'm late," she gasps apologetically as she sags against the bar (but quickly stands up again when the barkeep frowns and wipes her drips of sweat off the countertop). The barkeep sighs slightly and hands her a clean towel and a cold drink: 

hqdefault.jpg

I believe the barkeep engineered the countertop to be self-cleaning and sweat-repellant so you can lean all you want. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I believe the barkeep engineered the countertop to be self-cleaning and sweat-repellant so you can lean all you want. 

Dang. I wish he would engineer my countertops to do that too!!  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I want the tap that can produce any beer you might want.

And trash cans that empty themselves. While are at it. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

And trash cans that empty themselves. While are at it. 

And towels and aprons made of a special material that never attracts grime or gets dirty, so no laundry ever.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Tzippi Longstockings, its a joke on Pippi Longstockings.

I know...it's cute. You said something about walking into the bar in stocking feet, and I wanted to make it match your name :-)

• Like 1

*clearing throat slightly*

So the Rangers' powers that be have given me permission to attempt a battle speech.

Spoiler

Monday is coming to a close for many of us, and the second week of the challenge is well underway. Maybe your Monday was amazing and you hit the ground running, slamming through every obstacle in your path ... or maybe it looked a bit more like mine: Unproductive, tired, trying to catch your balance as the week lurched forward while you were still standing on weekend legs. 

Mondays are rough for many of us. But they're also a great time to take a step back and remember why we're doing what we're doing. Why we get up and go to work (I mean, besides the obvious reason of keeping the Internet from getting shut off). Why we get up and greet our children with a smile even when we're dead tired. Why we show up at our truck, or our cubicle, or our classroom, or our switchboard, or our laptop, or our factory line, or our toolshed.

And why we keep showing up here.

Mondays are a great time to remind ourselves that we're here - we are Rangers - because we see the world in a different way from others around us. We aren't content to drift through our days simply reacting to what life throws at us. We showed up here because we wanted to be the ones in the pilot's seat of our lives. We keep showing up here on these forums, in our gyms, on our trails, on our yoga mats, on our bicycles and walking paths and kayaks and treadmills and weight benches - because we wanted more than a life lived at the beck and call of fast food, bottled sodas and living room couches. We wanted a life where we are awake and free to make the choices that are good for our bodies, minds and spirits. 

None of us have reached our final goals or become exactly who we want to be. For some of us (myself included), simply getting up off the couch is a battle we still fail with regularity. Some of us have started well and hit obstacles. Some of us have become discouraged as our first brave uphill efforts seemed to get us nowhere. Some of us have come far and achieved more than we ever thought possible, but we still see how far we have to go and how much we still want to do. But it isn't the distance we've traveled, the habits we've built and broken, or the numbers on scales or clothing labels that make us Rangers. It isn't accomplishments or failures that bind us together.

What unites us as Rangers is that we keep showing up.

We show up for each other. We come alongside the Rangers whose paths are steep and rocky, and we support each other with a listening ear, steady arm, beam of hope or sacred silence. We are a family, bound together by the understanding that we have something special here in this space that belongs to us, to nurture and protect. When one suffers, we bear that suffering together. And when one succeeds and achieves, we all celebrate that success together.

But we also show up for ourselves. Rangering doesn't just happen in the text boxes of these forums. Rangering happens when we pull our tired bodies out of the chair to go do our workout for the day. Rangering happens when we have one fewer can of soda than we did yesterday. Rangering happens when we grit our teeth and do one last rep that we're not sure we have in us. And Rangering happens when we show up to bed on time, show up to our doctor and therapy appointments, show up to our rest with as much seriousness as we show up to our work, and show up to the hard task of taking responsibility for our choices and our life directions. 

Mondays are rough. But Mondays are a great time for us to remember what brought us here and what makes us different from others - and different from who we used to be.

We show up.

And as Tuesday dawns, we're going to keep showing up. For ourselves, and for each other.

Rangers gonna ranger.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

"Oh my Gods, what have I done?" Thom sits with his head in his hands. "You bloody fool, what made you think you could do this?"

A bottle of scotch and a glass is placed on the table in front of Thom. He thanks the waitress as he raises his head and fills the glass. "111 days to get ready. Stupid." The glass is drained of its content in one mouthful and refilled immeadiately.

Looking around the Guild Hall, Thom spies@Xena. Could she have tricked him? No. Inspired this insanity yes, bewitched him no.

The news of his friends Jimmy and Truey is what landed him in this mess.

Drinking the second glass a bit slower Thom grew thoughtful. He had always admired Xena's prowess, she is an amazing Ranger. As he finished the second glass of scotch, Thom knows full well that his friend will encourage him in this crazy venture.

As he pours a third glass, he mutters to himself, "All they Rangers will. They are as crazy as I am for doing this."

Lifting his glass Thom shouts a toast, "To the Rangers, crazy buggers the lot of us!"

Some idiot Ranger has just signed up to a 10km fun run in September. d28aebc42802040d20011e5e4d39ab4d.jpg

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

. "111 days to get ready. Stupid."

I LOVE challenges that involve a countdown! Ask anybody! 

Go get em, tiger!!!

• Like 3

On 6/9/2019 at 3:44 AM, Thom Stépan said:

she is an amazing Ranger.

Takes one to know one my friend.

Absolutely here to encourage you and will have a drink of the strong stuff in honor of your bold decision!

• Like 2

The Good, the Better, and the "Ah Hell!"

The Good:

I had two OCR's this last weekend including the one that went so badly last year that I had what might have been my first (and so far only) anxiety attack about 2.5 miles in. They went great! I grinned like a loon all the way through the anxiety one (7k) and thought the other one (5k) was too easy and while I don't regret doing it I won't be doing that one again.

The Better:

Okay, not actually better, but also good. A friend I convinced to do a Rugged Maniac with me last year had a lot of fun and ended up signing up for a Spartan Trifecta this year. His Super was two weekends ago and it ended up getting called for lighting when he was 6 miles into an 8 mile course. So he has to try again in October. Last weekend, as I was doing my 7k, he was conquering the Beast. I wasn't sure if he was regretting his choice or hooked until today when he told me his plans of getting a Trifecta tattoo once he earns it and each year he gets one getting the year tattooed underneath. He's hooked!

The "Ah Hell!":

I have a....complicated friendship with this guy. I've known him since elementary school and through his worst, which was not pretty and there were parts that impacted me directly. We've stayed in contact because of mutual friends and he has since grown a lot and even apologized for all the crap he pulled a year or two ago. But it kinda bothers me (in a mostly friendly rivalry kinda way) that he's gonna get the Trifecta before me......unless I beat him to it. So now I'm considering buying a Trifecta pass and squeaking in with my own a week before he gets his second shot at the Super. Hubs is, well I can't really say supportive because he does not get it at all, but not unsupportive, even though every race will include a fair amount of travel since the closest one is like 8 hours away. Rangers - please tell me I can do this even though I can barely run a mile right now......

• Like 7

@Xena, thank you for your support dear Lady. Your running has inspired me for years.
@Maigs if I can do this 10km in September and a half marathon next February then you can do the Spartan Trifecta.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 10:10 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I LOVE challenges that involve a countdown! Ask anybody!

So true, and sometimes they even have "die" in the title.

7 hours ago, Maigs said:

The Good, the Better, and the "Ah Hell!"

I grinned like a loon

I initially read this as "lion" which was interesting. Thought you were ferociously attacking obstacles and chasing down competitors or something!

7 hours ago, Maigs said:

I have a....complicated friendship with this guy.

This made me nervous

7 hours ago, Maigs said:

I So now I'm considering buying a Trifecta pass and squeaking in with my own a week before he gets his second shot at the Super.

ohhh! Ok, no problem!!! Sure, go for it! Honestly I don't know how the Spartans work. Is there a time limit? If not, the running is no big deal. You are really strong from all the boxing and other exercise you've been doing. And you love OCRs. It seems like a bucket list item for you, so why not try?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I initially read this as "lion" which was interesting. Thought you were ferociously attacking obstacles and chasing down competitors or something!

I like to think I stared down each obstacle with a prowling, lion-like intensity while waiting my turn. Then grinning like a loon when I completed it :)

1 hour ago, Xena said:

This made me nervous

Haha, nothing like that.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

ohhh! Ok, no problem!!! Sure, go for it! Honestly I don't know how the Spartans work. Is there a time limit? If not, the running is no big deal. You are really strong from all the boxing and other exercise you've been doing. And you love OCRs. It seems like a bucket list item for you, so why not try?

As far as I can tell the only time limit is due to the fact that they have to close the course at some point. If I buy the Trifecta pass I think I can make sure I get into the morning wave giving me all freaking day. Judging by my 7k this weekend I'd need about 6 hours to do the 13 miler (which lines up pretty well with the fact it took me 5 hours to do an 11 mile Tough Mudder a year and a half ago). And yeah, the Trifecta is literally on my bucket list. I'll ponder it for a bit before diving in, though I have my races picked out if I go for it (July Sprint, September Super, October Beat)

And I guess I'll go ahead and put this here since I don't have my own challenge this time:
The Best:

Even more awesome than my races last weekend; today is my 15th wedding anniversary. FIFTEENTH!!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Maigs said:

Rangers - please tell me I can do this even though I can barely run a mile right now......

You absolutely can do it!  Just don't run yourself ragged if it is only to prove superiority over an (reformed?) ass.  But absolutely use him as an excuse if it is something you want to go for anyway!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

You absolutely can do it!  Just don't run yourself ragged if it is only to prove superiority over an (reformed?) ass.  But absolutely use him as an excuse if it is something you want to go for anyway!

It's not so much to prove superiority as that it's been on my bucket list for like 3 years and I can't let this noob get it first! :) He's in better shape (despite being into fitness for much less time than me) so he'll do better than me and I don't mind that at all. I just don't want him to beat me to it. Still pondering it...

• Like 3

Sorry to do an annoying drive-by, but... I'm still alive and still doing okay for the most part, even if I'm still struggling with energy levels and adulting.  Anyway, I'm going to be in Texas over the weekend so my son can compete in a math contest.  So, @Tanktimus the Encourager, @SheriffWolfpool or any other Texas people:  What's cool to do in College Station?  What about Houston (other than NASA)?  I need ideas!  :)  

• Like 3