• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Ranger Tavern, Inn and de facto Guild Hall [General Chat]

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

Sorry to do an annoying drive-by, but... I'm still alive and still doing okay for the most part, even if I'm still struggling with energy levels and adulting.  Anyway, I'm going to be in Texas over the weekend so my son can compete in a math contest.  So, @Tanktimus the Encourager, @SheriffWolfpool or any other Texas people:  What's cool to do in College Station?  What about Houston (other than NASA)?  I need ideas!  :)  

Waving hello! Miss you. When we were in Houston, at dusk we went to this bridge ( can't remember but it will show up if you google) where all these bats come out at night. It was so amazing!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Waving hello! Miss you. When we were in Houston, at dusk we went to this bridge ( can't remember but it will show up if you google) where all these bats come out at night. It was so amazing!

The Waugh Drive Bat Colony .... has its own website:  http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/batpage.html  (How cool is that??)

• Like 3

yo Ranger brethren

I’m having difficulty picking my next thing to challenge myself with. My fitness goals go better if I have a target to aim at, and since I did my adventure race I’m utterly at a loss as to what to do next. I feel like nothing will ever be that challenging again and while I’m not sure I want to do another one anything else feels like a step backward. So I’m reaching out for help and soliciting suggestions. Anything considered except for long distance running - I’m still too heavy for it and my feet can’t take the abuse :-p

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

The Waugh Drive Bat Colony .... has its own website:  http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/batpage.html  (How cool is that??)

Long time no see!!!

4 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

yo Ranger brethren

I’m having difficulty picking my next thing to challenge myself with. My fitness goals go better if I have a target to aim at, and since I did my adventure race I’m utterly at a loss as to what to do next. I feel like nothing will ever be that challenging again and while I’m not sure I want to do another one anything else feels like a step backward. So I’m reaching out for help and soliciting suggestions. Anything considered except for long distance running - I’m still too heavy for it and my feet can’t take the abuse :-p

Trying to figure out something appropriately epic....

Weren't you thinking about getting into a specific type of competitive weightlifting? I forgot what it was called. I know you sort of ran the idea past your trainer and he was supportive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

Trying to figure out something appropriately epic....

Weren't you thinking about getting into a specific type of competitive weightlifting? I forgot what it was called. I know you sort of ran the idea past your trainer and he was supportive.

Strongman! That’s true and I completely forgot about that. 

Hmmmmmmmmm

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Sorry to do an annoying drive-by, but... I'm still alive and still doing okay for the most part, even if I'm still struggling with energy levels and adulting.  Anyway, I'm going to be in Texas over the weekend so my son can compete in a math contest.  So, @Tanktimus the Encourager, @SheriffWolfpool or any other Texas people:  What's cool to do in College Station?  What about Houston (other than NASA)?  I need ideas!  :)  

If you like burritos go to Freebirds. I've only ever been to College Station once, and that was just driving through. I don't think there really is much going on there beside A&M. Houston I only go to when I have to, I'm honestly not a big fan. Their chamber of commerce would have you believe they have museums comparable to New York City, but I'm incredulous. It is the third largest city in the nation, so I'm sure there are more than I realize, it's just not something I know off the top of my head.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

yo Ranger brethren

Sounds like a case of the post-race blues. Give it some time and don't stress out yet about coming up with something "as challenging".

That said, I'm all in support of rocking that vintage strongwoman hat.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

ounds like a case of the post-race blues. Give it some time and don't stress out yet about coming up with something "as challenging”

This is...actually not too far from the mark? And sensible, reasonable advice?

I should probably consider it

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you’re not going to do some crazy epic bike event, then strongman is cool too I guess.

riding my bike from Atlanta to Savannah is still on the table

not on the freeway obviously 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Speaking of people I miss, hey there!!! Miss you , how's it been going?

First year of teaching new classes at a new college .... went well.  Now that it's summer, I'm looking around and thinking it's time to healthify my habits.  

New house, by the way .... so I'm finally unpacking fitness stuff and deciding how to set up a home/garage gym.

How are you???

• Like 7

On 6/9/2019 at 3:44 AM, Thom Stépan said:

Some idiot Ranger has just signed up to a 10km fun run in September.

Woot!! Wish I could come do this with you...my first 10k is in October 

On 6/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, Maigs said:

Rangers - please tell me I can do this even though I can barely run a mile right now......

You absolutely can! You don't have to run to be able to ;)  but you've got this!

• Like 2

Battle Speech: Week of June 17

Spoiler

Friends, the fourth week of the challenge has begun. Some of us have had brilliant challenges, some of us have struggled, some of us are still figuring out what week it is.  (*furtive glances shared around*)  But as Monday comes to a close in the Eastern Time zone of the Western Hemisphere, all of us have the chance to finish out this week well.

Finishing well is such an important part of any undertaking. Creating a good plan is important, executing that plan is important; but finishing the plan - wrapping up loose ends, making sure everyone has what they need, thanking the people who made it possible, sharing the successes and lessons with others - is very important too. And this week, we have an opportunity to finish our challenges well.

If we haven't quite stayed on target with everything this month (because, you know, life happens and it seems to take great delight in interfering with our plans at times), this week is a great time to revisit our reasons for setting these goals in the first place and to see if we can make a little progress before the month wraps up. This week is also a great time to reflect on what has gone well - what did we try that really worked? What target did we aim for and finally hit? What new thing did we learn that we can apply in the days and weeks going forward? 

Taking time at the end of our efforts to finish well - to keep pushing against the urge to slack off and quit, to get as close to our goals as we can, to reflect on the things we tried that didn't work, and especially to notice and share our successes - gives us the power to say "I'm proud of myself", no matter what obstacles and surprises we faced in the middle of our challenges. And it sets us up for mindful, intentional goal-setting and success in the next challenge. 

What was one thing you did, learned, accomplished, or tried that you're especially proud of in this challenge so far? Share it below so we can all clap you on the back and order you a drink!!  :D 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

What was one thing you did, learned, accomplished, or tried that you're especially proud of in this challenge so far?

That you need to have a solid foundation (daily routine, finances, mental health, willpower etc) before attempting to spend the energy to achieve ambitious goals, fitness or otherwise.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Dang@Skygirl you sure do write pretty.

It's like she's a professional or something ;) 

10 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

What was one thing you did, learned, accomplished, or tried that you're especially proud of in this challenge so far? Share it below so we can all clap you on the back and order you a drink!!

Renegotiating cooking duties. I asked Sra. Tanque to cook once a week or so. That gives me a lot more willpower to cook the rest of the week, and also means we eat out less every week.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Everyone knows my biggest win for this challenge, as I shared it here. Signing up for a 10km fun run.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That you need to have a solid foundation (daily routine, finances, mental health, willpower etc) before attempting to spend the energy to achieve ambitious goals, fitness or otherwise.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's like she's a professional or something ;) 

Renegotiating cooking duties. I asked Sra. Tanque to cook once a week or so. That gives me a lot more willpower to cook the rest of the week, and also means we eat out less every week.

giphy.gif 

• Like 4

Putting down the old tool box turned port key and looking around at her home away from home, Morag can't believe how long she's been away.
She stretches her back, takes a deep breath, then walks into the guildhall to spend what is left of this challenge with her friends, hear of their accomplishments, cheer for them at their finish lines, and take comfort in the small things. Her life might be in shambles, but it will just be the more impressive once she sorts her shit out.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late."

send from my new phone, bear with me.

• Like 6

On 6/15/2019 at 9:06 PM, SkyGirl said:

No comment is required.

THIS is the quality content I come to Nerd Fitness for!

• Like 5