• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Juice Bar - Rebel Hang Out

9FLY.gifWelcome to the Juice Bar, the Rebels home away from home! Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.

If this is your first challenge here at NF, please post your challenge in the Level 1 / First Time Challengers subforum.

Take a minute to introduce yourself, let us know why you're here, tell us something nerdy about yourself, and share a gif!

Have questions? Want some feedback? Ask away! Just want to hang out and chat? Awesome! Want to hide in the corner for a bit? Have a drink on us. :)

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Take a minute to introduce yourself, let us know why you're here, tell us something nerdy about yourself, and share a gif!

I always forget to do this when I post the Juice Bar. 

Hi! I'm Wobbegong, one of the Rebel Guild Leaders. I'm mostly focused on habit/lifestyle building and diet, not on a particular workout style, so I stick with Rebel. Feel free to ask me any questions about the forums, any particular interactions, or even for advice if you want it. 

Something nerdy... I'm finishing up a transcription of a twelve-year-old game this challenge. It's an installment in a larger series of games that overlap and cover the same events in different ways, so it's helpful for the fandom to have the source material as a resource. For the past twelve years, we've been making do with a fan translation of the official Japanese script, which is... different. So I decided to do something about it! 

Here's my gif contribution. It has no relevance to the conversation:

NorV.gif

• Like 3

Hiya! I am Rookie 

Image result for red panda gif

I love a lot of things... Horses, archery, sewing, reading, art, eating, things and stuff.... I tend to be the most busy lazy person ever. I guess something nerdy about me is I love watching videos of miniature cooking, people "unboxing" MREs, and recreating video game and/or historical foods. Did I mention I love food?

My goals are to lose weight and gain some confidence! What better place to do that then at NF :D 

• Like 5

Hi, I'm Whisper

I love rain and I love forests and I live in a desert!

giphy.gif

I'm using my time here to take ownership of and level up my life! Weight loss and fitness are a big part of that, but so is putting my space in order and developing healthy habits and skills for all of my life.

I play violin (mostly self taught), play with a hand-bell choir at my church, and am learning how to sing. I also really love reading science fiction and fantasy. The first book I ever enjoyed reading was Babylon 5: In the Beginning and I went from way under grade level to college level reading with the Star Wars books. Loved the X-Wing books most of all. Currently really into David Weber and Sir Terry Pratchett. 

• Like 5

Cross-posted from my challenge: 

I have it on good authority that Guild Leader and Guild Ambassador applications will be opening up again shortly. There will be a site-wide announcement when the time comes, but I thought I'd mention it here as well and give people a bit of a heads up if you want to think about applying. I know a lot of people in Rebel are in Rebel because our health goals center more on not drowning than on mastering specific methods of exercise, and a lot of people are here on a transitional basis while they sort out what they're really aiming for, and both of those populations tend to have a lot going on and maybe not so much bandwidth for extra forum responsibilities. 

If you do think you have the time and you're interested, apply! I've been told my advice (and that of the other GLs) on the candidates will be solicited, so drop me a line if you're thinking about it so I can prepare to say good things about you. If you have any questions about the positions or what we're looking for, feel free to ask. 

ALSO, there will be an all-guilds mini this challenge. I don't yet know how that's going to be announced, so I'll be on the lookout for it and try to signal boost as best I can. I encourage everyone interested to participate!  

60.gif

• Like 5

Am Flea. Am here because other crazy people are here and being crazy together is fun. Am nerd because I have 2 tattoos in other languages. 

Actual footage of Flea in the wild:

tumblr_ma4b3bWFoy1rrwnvt.gif

• Like 5

On 5/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, fleaball said:

Am Flea. Am here because other crazy people are here and being crazy together is fun. Am nerd because I have 2 tattoos in other languages. 

That isn't all that bad a reason.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, fleaball said:

Actual footage of Flea in the wild:

tumblr_ma4b3bWFoy1rrwnvt.gif

Are you sure that is you and not some of the man children you live with. It might explain why they can't be decent at home?

• Like 3

So now that I got free of my kidnappers

tenor.gif

(I went missing for a few days and Wobbegong came to the logical conclusion I was kidnapped. I find it funny)

Hi I am Bean Sidhe (pronounced Banshee) but around here, I am generally just called Bean. I am a mom of 2, college student/intern, I work part time, and have a large garden (small homestead without animals) that we preserve food from. I wish I could say I had this under control, but some days I think I am Wilde E Coyote and well any plan ends up like this.

giphy.gif

I have been around NF for awhile, so feel free to ask questions. I am trying to get back to being here regularly, but no real promises until at least June. I am generally here because I want to be healthier and get my act together and fight the chaos that seems to run around my life.

What about me makes me nerdy... Lets just say I am a total geek with a overly complicated spreadsheet to track everything for my challenges and not a single ring "tone" on my phone, but instead my phone plays the X-files theme song when I get a call, quotes Firefly and Serenity for notifications and text, and yells at me as GLADOS or Wheatly from Portal for emails.

Good luck everyone

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yeah I totally never knew that and have been saying Bean Side EE in my head all this time.

Actually I use the Gaelic Spelling, which is

banshee

(from Irish bainsídhe/beansídhe, "female fairy") (M-W), "woman of the fairies" (AHD) or "...of a fairy mound" (RH). The Modern Irish word for woman is bean /bæn/ and síd(h) (or sí in modern spelling) is an Irish term referring to a 'fairy mound'. (See Sidhe.) However, in traditional Irish mythology a banshee is seen as an omen of death.

The wikipedia entry isn't too horrible. However, I tend to think of the Bean Sidhe as a young woman with the bean-nighe  being more the older lady washer woman. But most times it depends on where you are looking. And that folks is your mythology lesson for the day.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am Bean Sidhe (pronounced Banshee) but around here, I am generally just called Bean.

For the record, when I call you Bean I pronounce it "Ban" in my head. Because it's Banshee. But I can understand where there might be confusion. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wobbegong said:

For the record, when I call you Bean I pronounce it "Ban" in my head. Because it's Banshee. But I can understand where there might be confusion. 

That's fine. I also know a ton of people just say "Bean" when talking (typing) to me. Which is why I said "Feel free to call me Bean"

• Like 3

Omg lol. Yup I was on the Bean train there. I do not know how I feel about this. Image result for rocking in corner gif

@Bean Sidhe...I had a gardening question about a shrubbery and you are the only person I know who might know the answer.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Bean Sidhe (pronounced Banshee)

That is not what I have been saying.... Now I know!!! :P 

• Like 1

Hey oh! 

Im Butternut, 4 kids (2 human, 2 canine and a wife.

I'm here for the support. Ive been in a weird mindset with “Who am I” 

507.gif 

The more deep I get into my past and myself, the happier I am... but also my sadness has been heavier.. it’s weird. But I’m so excited because I feel like I’m breaking ground! Avoiding feelings for years and now letting them flow is a new step, But again I’m breaking ground and being more of who I am, and this place let’s me express it and get fantastic advice!

a nerdy thing about me... i find human behavior fascinating. I work retail and pissed of customers, disgruntled workers, and down to earth people make me happy . 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

tumblr_inline_o6pzmgPJ8S1shrb8p_250.gif

I'm gonna have to go with the Captain on this one. 

But if there is no third option, I guess pizza, because sourcing tortillas here is next to impossible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

there is no third option, I guess pizza, because sourcing tortillas here is next to impossible. 

Say what?

you can’t get tortillas?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Butternut said:

Say what?

you can’t get tortillas?

Tokyo may have a vague conception of Mexican food. Rural Japan does not. 

I can buy them online for approximately $1/per though! :D (<-- that's a grin of pain) 

Pizzas around here are kind of risky too, though. So far I've enjoyed such delicacies as "tuna mayo pizza" and "shrimp onion pizza." And by enjoyed I mean the tuna mayo was bizarre but tolerable and I turned the shrimp onion down flat. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:45 AM, Wobbegong said:

Tokyo may have a vague conception of Mexican food. Rural Japan does not. 

I can buy them online for approximately $1/per though! :D (<-- that's a grin of pain) 

Pizzas around here are kind of risky too, though. So far I've enjoyed such delicacies as "tuna mayo pizza" and "shrimp onion pizza." And by enjoyed I mean the tuna mayo was bizarre but tolerable and I turned the shrimp onion down flat. 

Wow! It’s amazing how “naive” “unaware” “ungrateful “ for the wide variety of food I can have in the states.

But I now wonder, what cuisine am I missing out being here in the states?

I live in an area where it’s nothing but chain restaurants and very few locally owned places.

and if it is locally owned it’s frozen food deep fried or warmed up. 

Its hard to find real home cooked food . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Butternut said:

Wow! It’s amazing how “naive” “unaware” “ungrateful “ for the wide variety of food I can have in the states.

But I now wonder, what cuisine am I missing out being here in the states?

I live in an area where it’s nothing but chain restaurants and very few locally owned places.

and if it is locally owned it’s frozen food deep fried or warmed up. 

Its hard to find real home cooked food . 

I've lived in a few places and it seems like no matter where I go I'm always set up to be missing the food from somewhere else. I grew up in the Bay Area, where food culture is Serious Business and there's restaurants for cuisines from around the world. Most places offer fresh food cooked in-house, but there are also chain food options. I moved to Tacoma for college and in that area they have an astonishing array of unnamed restaurants with large signs outside that say something like "CHINESE JAPANESE BURGER TERIYAKI." But eventually I ended up developing a favorite (a place lovingly called "sketchy bento"), and when I went back to California I was sad not to have that kind of weird low-brow mashup. 

Now I live in Japan and my options for eating out are: a staggering variety of delicious homemade Japanese food, crappy unappetizing "Western" food, delicious but bizarre "Western" food, convenience store food, or the Japanese idea of Chinese food (which here either means fried rice with vegetable and meat gloop spooned over the top, or ramen). I thought I had learned what it means to miss good tacos when I was in Tacoma, but I really didn't until I moved here. 

But this time next week I'll be packing for my trip back to the States! I keep getting more and more delighted (although the food cravings are hitting hard lol) 

• Like 3