• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Juice Bar - Rebel Hang Out

5 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Like, all on one plate? The mind boggles!

In my experience usually only all on one sign (and then again all on one menu inside). They usually sell a variety of Chinese-American staples, bento boxes, and burgers. And like... anything else you ask for if they have the ingredients for it, regardless of if it's on the menu. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

In my experience usually only all on one sign (and then again all on one menu inside). They usually sell a variety of Chinese-American staples, bento boxes, and burgers. And like... anything else you ask for if they have the ingredients for it, regardless of if it's on the menu. 

OK, that puts my mind at ease a little.

When I visited Cambodia our hotel was next to a restaurant that boasted Italian-Japanese fusion cuisine. I could never summon the courage to try it!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 6:34 PM, Lateral Planet said:

OK, that puts my mind at ease a little.

When I visited Cambodia our hotel was next to a restaurant that boasted Italian-Japanese fusion cuisine. I could never summon the courage to try it!

I'm honestly not sure I would have the courage for the Cambodian conception of Italian-Japanese fusion either. 

On a Japanese-Italian note, today one of my students asked me what the difference between pasta and spaghetti is. She was pretty sure coming into the conversation that pasta was Italian and spaghetti was English and they otherwise mean the same thing, but just wanted to confirm. I told her they're both Italian words and she was Not Thrilled. I explained that pasta just means noodles and spaghetti is a particular shape (the long skinny round ones). I was prepared to tell her about a bunch of other pasta shapes (pasta words are about the only Italian I know, I can explain linguini, conchiglie, farfalle, penne, rigatoni, fettuccini, lasagne, tortellini, ravioli, the list goes on and on) but she was satisfied with spaghetti and ran off. 

But now I'm left holding the bag! Do Japanese people think spaghetti comes in many shapes, or do they think pasta always means long skinny rounded noodles?? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

On a Japanese-Italian note, today one of my students asked me what the difference between pasta and spaghetti is. She was pretty sure coming into the conversation that pasta was Italian and spaghetti was English and they otherwise mean the same thing, but just wanted to confirm. I told her they're both Italian words and she was Not Thrilled. I explained that pasta just means noodles and spaghetti is a particular shape (the long skinny round ones). I was prepared to tell her about a bunch of other pasta shapes (pasta words are about the only Italian I know, I can explain linguini, conchiglie, farfalle, penne, rigatoni, fettuccini, lasagne, tortellini, ravioli, the list goes on and on) but she was satisfied with spaghetti and ran off. 

But now I'm left holding the bag! Do Japanese people think spaghetti comes in many shapes, or do they think pasta always means long skinny rounded noodles?? 

I can sympathise, you probably blew her mind with that revelation and she had to go rethink her whole life ;) But I guess it's the same as how "noodles" could mean ramen or soba or a multitude of other types, so surely it's not too alien a concept?