• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong: A Creature of Habit

Hi howdy, Rebel buddies! 

d299de0ee231b464057219c0262d906f1f1287fa

This challenge is basically going to be the same as the last one, because the last one worked pretty well for me and I liked it. There will be a couple of key changes, though, so I'll use zero week to transition. 

Goal 1: Food

A - Stay keto. Keep away from zero-calorie sweeteners and keto-approved flours. It's not about finding ways around keto, after all. Focus on meat and happy fats, and eat some veggies if you feel like it. 
B - Fast. Aim for OMAD (lunch) during the week, and seriously try to overcome that dinner time ghrelin spike (why is it so much worse than the breakfast one??). Aim for extended fasts over the weekends. Beat your 42 hour record! 

Goal 2: Move

This is again bodyweight or yoga or walking every day, not including commute walking. I'm going to add "spend time outside every day" to this.  Substituting an evening walk for dinner might also help with the fasting. 

Goal 3: List

Here is the list for zero week. It's all the stuff I didn't finish dealing with last challenge. Gotta clean this up pronto! 

• Send out form for My Number Card
  • Respond to boss about social welfare cram school
  • Clean apartment + take pics
    • Focus on living room, kitchen, and bedroom
  • Set up blog 
  • Hang post card arrangements and paintings
  • And the ubiquitous CC goal: knock out as many missions as possible while you have the Chapter 7 lobby at your back! Aim to finish available missions this week. 
  • Also, complete one study session during zero week. Just to get the ball rolling. 

And here is the list for the main challenge! All the stuff to do once last challenge's stuff is out of the way. I'm actually going to be back in America temporarily at the end of this challenge, so my challenge will probably end a few days early, when I head back, rather than on the 23rd. Seriously looking forward to driving again, particularly in a place with realistic speed limits (seriously the highway speed limit here is 50km/h that's like 30 for my American buds -- people speak in whispers of the Tokyo highway speed limit, which is a dangerous 70!!! aka 45). Anyway. There are currently only two one-off list items, and everything else is just focusing on habit establishment/maintenance. 

• Prepare for America trip
    • Shopping list
    • Packing list 
    • Actually pack
    • Maybe consider getting a taxi to the train station?? 
  • CC Script
    • Only chapters 8, 9, and 10 left to transcribe, so aim for one chapter a week. FINISH BEFORE FE:3H COMES OUT!!!
    • Organize script documents
    • Post online
  • Habit focus
    • Blog
      • Write posts
      • List pictures needed for posts
      • ACTUALLY POST jfc (figure out a schedule maybe? hopefully this will be easier once I get those first ten up during zero week)
    • Cleaning
      • Theoretically you've achieved a clean apartment. Keep it that way. 
      • Clean on rotation, you know your schedule. 
      • Stay on top of dishes. (Srsly it's only lunch tupperware, utensils, and cookware with all this fasting)
    • Studying
      • Do it every day. For at least an hour! Maybe after your evening walk? 
    • Fasting
      • See Food B above. 

I think that oughta do it! Let's get this party started. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

Abusing those mod powers to claim first, huh? ;) Welcome and well met! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Abusing those mod powers to claim first, huh? ;) Welcome and well met! 

Following your thread was the last thing I did before taking the new challenge forums live, so make of that what you will ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Following. You got this.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following your thread was the last thing I did before taking the new challenge forums live, so make of that what you will ;) 

.... I have so many responses, but decided I will just leave this alone because well, People are now staring at me expecting me to respond...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

OMG, that driving sounds so slow. I think I would go insane haha.

Today I was carpooling and paid special attention because after I wrote that I was like "it can't REALLY be true though, surely I've been thinking it was worse than it is all year." No. The speed limit on the only through-way, which is a road clearly intended for driving only (it is quite perilous to walk along its side, let alone cross it) and which has exits and onramps but no cross-streets, qualifying it by my metrics as a highway, IS FIFTY KM/H. People do speed on it (this morning we were going almost 70!!! and the person driving clearly felt that was a bit too fast and refused to keep up with the car in front of her) and I've never seen anyone get pulled over for speeding (there's no shoulder so you can't really pull over anywhere, which might factor into it). However, people also just drive the speed limit sometimes (like on our way back), and everyone's cool with that too. It's ridiculous. I think in general people go about 60km/h on that stretch of road and consider themselves wild things. 

I have a coworker who went to LA last winter and when he came back I asked him how it was. He excitedly told me that he drove really fast on the freeway. I'm not sure if he left LA to find a road with light enough traffic to drive fast or if he was just impressed by the theoretical speed limits, but regardless, that was literally the highlight of his trip. 

So again. I'm gonna be super stoked to go back to America and drive my car. 

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Following. You got this.

Yay! Welcome, Bean! 

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:
10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

.... I have so many responses, but decided I will just leave this alone because well, People are now staring at me expecting me to respond...

We're just playin'. Kinda. Maybe. I'm not sure if this emoji :devilish: or this one :ph34r: is more appropriate for this conversation lol

• Like 3

I'm going to go for my walk now, because I definitely won't once it gets dark. Already my inertial resistance is kicking in, telling me to just stay in this chair on NF. But no. I will walk down to the ocean at least, and then if I'm enjoying life out there I'll do the promenade, and then I can come back and sit in this chair and hang out on NF clean my room. (Just tidy! We can leave the dreaded vacuuming for tomorrow. Does anyone have any insight about why I hate vacuuming so much??) 

Ready, set, GO! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Does anyone have any insight about why I hate vacuuming so much??) 

I know I hate vacumming since we have SO MUCH HAIR in this house, well we burn up vaccums about every 6 months. Like let the smoke out burn up. so we went to all hardwood or tile. I can't burn up a broom and it is way easier on the budget to replace.

I think most of it is the "Okay, run it over this spot twice, now 3 inches to the left, and repeat, is probably why everyone hates vaccuming.

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

We're just playin'. Kinda. Maybe. I'm not sure if this emoji :devilish: or this one :ph34r: is more appropriate for this conversation lol

Oh I know, and I was trying to find a way to be joking about admin power abuse, but I couldn't come up with anything that didn't sound like I was really calling you two out for it. so instead the "don't look at me" post

• Haha 1

• Walked to sea, did part of promenade, got rained on, took over three gyms, bolstered the team at a fourth
  • Tidied room!!!! 
  • Dinner hopefully successfully skipped. Ghrelin wave subsided.
  • Same mysterious bug outbreak as last year, once again traced to donation broom??? Broom moved outside, many bugs squashed. 

I was all ready to sit down with my mending and be properly domestic but I can't find any black thread. So the torn seam in my black pants will be mended in burgundy. 

Today one of my coworkers (a new teacher at the school I have never before spoken to) suddenly started telling me that he's trying to lose four kilograms BY TOMORROW for the health check. This was at four in the afternoon, so I think it's probably too late, dude?? Apparently the health check cutoff is 69kg and he's currently 73. (For the record, last year I weighed in at 94.5kg and suffered only a C grade for it, which is not failing. So I'd think he'd be fine, but maybe he's on a different metric than I was.) He asked me what I'd do, and not having any experience with sudden weight loss, I told him wrestlers on my high school team used to sit in a sauna and sweat as much as possible to make weight. He said he didn't have a sauna, which is reasonable lol. So then I told him he could force a big bowel movement by drinking salt water, but that will probably help his waist measurement more than his weight. Only after I went home did I realize it might also counteract any attempt he makes at sweating out his water weight. But THEN, after he had transitioned from talking to me about it to explaining his situation to the school secretary, he told her he'd been eating only vegetables for days. 

So now I'm worried when he, uh, "purges," it'll be painful because of all the extra fiber in his system, AND worried that he'll bloat somehow and weigh more. Regardless, the day before is way too late, and I'm sure he won't blame me, but he started drinking salt water immediately so if he comes in heavier than 73 I'll feel really bad lol. I assume he came to me because he knows I'm on a diet, but it's not a crash diet! I've been eating like this for months and while I've made inroads they've been modest. I hope everything works out for him! I won't see him again until Wednesday, so I'll let you know then. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I know I hate vacumming since we have SO MUCH HAIR in this house, well we burn up vaccums about every 6 months. Like let the smoke out burn up. so we went to all hardwood or tile. I can't burn up a broom and it is way easier on the budget to replace.

I mean, I certainly have a lot of hair and shed it all over the place, but I don't have any pets or any roommates who might shed, so it's pretty much just me and the spiders. (Do spider shed? If they do, their hairs are tiny anyway, so I really can't put much blame on them.) But it sounds like you have a serious talent for vacuum destruction. That's actually kind of impressive. 

31 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I think most of it is the "Okay, run it over this spot twice, now 3 inches to the left, and repeat, is probably why everyone hates vaccuming.

That could be it. It's also loud. And growing up it was the last part of cleaning my room, which was always a dreaded multi-step effort of enormous emotional upheaval. Back then I would've washed a thousand dishes before I'd willingly take on extra vacuuming duties. But I've always liked the tidy feeling of having a clean space (and of course when I was a child the promise inherent in it that I couldn't be yelled at for NOT having a clean space) so now I'm trying to learn to manage cleaning proactively to keep the space clean without letting the cleaning become overwhelming. 

It's not an easy balance, let me tell you! Mostly the issue is with resetting my threshold for "time to clean." I tolerate a lot of dust build up! 

39 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

So the torn seam in my black pants will be mended in burgundy.

I did not get around to mending my pants, because I was busily responding to my rebels. I will need to re-evaluate my time allocation for those evening walks, and for NF, to make sure I get everything done. Oh, but I also went on a bug-squishing crusade tonight, that ate up a lot of time. Ideally, my evening schedule will look something like:

5:00 - get home, clean something OR get home later after running some errands, as needed

6:00 - go for walk

7:00 - study

8:00 - NF

9:00 - prep for tomorrow morning

9:30 - bedtime

That unfortunately doesn't leave any room for video games or time-intensive list items, so it's definitely not perfect. I also don't get home at 5 every day (for example, on Tuesdays I have a long commute, so I get home between 5:30 and 6, but on Wednesdays there's a teachers meeting so I get sent home early, and return at around 3:10). But cleaning during the week leaves my weekends free, and I generally don't consider the blocks of time they represent when I think about scheduling, so maybe I can work something out there. 

HABITS, MAN

tenor.gif?itemid=5875558

It's 9:30, I'm going to bed. 

• Like 5

Yeah, that person waited way too long to suddenly want to get some rapid weight loss going. 

Guesses for why you hate the Vacuum. In a previous life you were a cat or dog, and really hate that noise ;)

• Like 3

My morning so far: 

City announcement: murrgseiHds msoighig the msidgh eihw sdGUhwe-park, zoo, 

Me: Did they just say zoo??

CA: elementary school, junior high school, a;elhgiwfw. 

Me: Uh. What. 

CA: eEihiqw, iehfwqqwi hiehw hiwehw not high school. 

Me: ???? 

I proceeded with my usual morning routine, thinking to myself that I really have to ask one of the teachers what these announcements are about, because my Japanese just isn't good enough to catch more than a word here and there over the loudspeakers (and through the rain! Really coming down today). In fact, it was raining so hard that when I left my apartment, I looked at it and thought, "it's too windy for an umbrella, a raincoat is fine," and then got to the street and thought, "this downpour is torrential, I will bring my umbrella." 

I made it to the carpool pickup and checked the time, because I had thought I was late but I didn't see my pool buddy. I had a message on Line! Exciting. "Today school is closed due to the typhoon. Take the day off." 

giphy.gif

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I mean, I certainly have a lot of hair and shed it all over the place, but I don't have any pets or any roommates who might shed, so it's pretty much just me and the spiders. (Do spider shed? If they do, their hairs are tiny anyway, so I really can't put much blame on them.) But it sounds like you have a serious talent for vacuum destruction. That's actually kind of impressive. 

I do have to say with Hubby with hair down to about middle of his back, my hair down past mid back, the agents one has hair mid back, the other is about to his shoulders,  and then at the  time we had a long hair Siamese, a medium hair Siamese and then the husky mix , Hair was a constant. So much easier to sweep up. Especially since we now have Agent K9 instead of the Husky mix who has shorter hair but it is lab hair so it is EVERYWHERE.  I use to have tumbleweeds of hair in the house, now its looks more like mold growing along the baseboards.

23 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

It's not an easy balance, let me tell you! Mostly the issue is with resetting my threshold for "time to clean." I tolerate a lot of dust build up! 

We shall not speak of the dust. Lets just say, my kids have found "Help me" written in the dust more than once. Or "Look at the dirt"  I totally get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Yikes, stay safe! Shame you had to go all that way to find out. Does that mean you get more time for vacuuming today? ;)

The carpool pickup is only like two blocks from my front door so it wasn't terrible, but I did feel kind of silly for thinking about the announcement and still not checking my messages before leaving. I told a teacher buddy about it today and she said, "Wait, you don't get the school emails? You have to rely on the town announcements? That's ridiculous!" To be fair, even if I did get the school emails, I check my email so rarely I would probably still not know. 

I did not end up doing any vacuuming yesterday because I function really poorly on the productivity scale when I don't plan my productivity in advance. Surprise free time is still basically a "surprise you now have to make decisions and plan things and think because your normal routine has been messed up, HAHA" situation for me. So I managed to decide to eat my prepared OMAD lunch for breakfast, while it was hot, and thought about all the great ways I could use my day, and ended up playing CC instead. I did make a lot of progress there, at least. I now have 12 missions left that I can do before I must move on with the story; of them, five are going to be super easy and seven are going to be super hard, possibly too difficult to manage with the equipment currently available to me. So I'll do as many of those as I can, knock out the easy ones, and be on my way by the end of the week, right on schedule. 

Today, unlike yesterday, is a dream day for productivity (let's see if I'm still saying that tonight lol). It's mid-terms day! Normally I would have the whole day off and never get moving, but one of the teachers I work with wasn't able to find a suitable English recording for the listening comprehension section for the first year students, so I had to go in. Luckily they were taking their English midterm first period, so I went in, did the speaking section, and left! I was able to have a normal productive morning before school and since coming home I FINALLY VACUUMED MY ROOM and took those pictures, so left on my to-do list for today is hanging my art, dealing with MNC/grocery shopping, dishes, and final tidying/picture taking in the living room and kitchen. I'm not going to say I'm aiming higher out of fear that biting off too much will make me choke, but of course if I feel up to it there's always more to do... ;) 

ONWARD!

This is my google gif suggestion for onward: 

giphy.gif

Let's maybe go a little faster than that, lol

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

We shall not speak of the dust. Lets just say, my kids have found "Help me" written in the dust more than once. Or "Look at the dirt"  I totally get it.

That's a fun way to get kids to see what you see. I think I'm still like a kid with that willful blindness to mess sometimes, lol. But I'm trying! 

• Like 3

Yoisho! Art is hung and the difficult part of the MNC issue is dealt with, as are groceries. Art took forever. I had no idea I had such an accumulation. I've never really put art on my walls before, always opting for the barren minimalism I was raised with. But it really adds some friendliness to have it up, so I'm glad. The MNC card issue was getting the passport-style picture taken. I was able to do this at the grocery store! How convenient, Japan! And I was even able to express myself to the guy at the counter, too. 

Super expensive, though. 800 yen for a 3.5 x 4.5cm picture? (I guess he gave me more than one, they must come as a set. But I only need one, so my point stands.) 

• Like 6

My kitchen is CLEAN!!! I'm so happy I could faint. I did everything on my list except take pictures, which I'll handle tomorrow. Super easy from here. Y'all, I am so excited. I haven't had my whole kitchen table cleaned at once in months. There's been a lot of "I guess I'll move this around to clear a space" going on. NO LONGER! 

Whew... I'm happy but also pooped. Mostly just glowing. This isn't all my zero-week list items (for a second I thought it might be) but it's all the most oppressive looming ones, taken care of. Bam. I also made CC and blog progress today during cleaning breaks, so I'm just killing it! Pro list item crosser offer over here! 

All this success is making me very nervous about the actual challenge. I'll just tuck that worry away and go back to reveling in my cleanliness. 

• Like 6

Cross-posted in Juice Bar: 

I have it on good authority that Guild Leader and Guild Ambassador applications will be opening up again shortly. There will be a site-wide announcement when the time comes, but I thought I'd mention it here as well and give people a bit of a heads up if you want to think about applying. I know a lot of people in Rebel are in Rebel because our health goals center more on not drowning than on mastering specific methods of exercise, and a lot of people are here on a transitional basis while they sort out what they're really aiming for, and both of those populations tend to have a lot going on and maybe not so much bandwidth for extra forum responsibilities. 

If you do think you have the time and you're interested, apply! I've been told my advice (and that of the other GLs) on the candidates will be solicited, so drop me a line if you're thinking about it so I can prepare to say good things about you. If you have any questions about the positions or what we're looking for, feel free to ask. 

ALSO, there will be an all-guilds mini this challenge. I don't yet know how that's going to be announced, so I'll be on the lookout for it and try to signal boost as best I can. I encourage everyone interested to participate!  

60.gif

• Like 3

I remembered my evening walk tonight. Got stuck behind a guy smoking and didn't want to be there, but he was walking slightly too quickly for me to pass him casually, so I took off running. And then running felt great, so I kept going all the way to the oceanfront, about half a mile. It was mostly down-hill, but it's been over a year since I last ran for any reason, so it was kind of great to do it. 

I basically just always run at a sprint, and I passed quite a few students on my way, and I wasn't wearing any special running clothes, just the same outfit I went to work in earlier (since I had only been planning on a walk). I probably looked like a maniac. Oh well, it was fun to run, even if I felt terrible after. For some reason it made my arms really sore. 

Anyway, I'm left not even slightly hungry, so the walk/run worked as advertised! 

• Like 9

Wooooo great job running lol. Sometimes it is just fun to run. I am the slowest runner and so out of shape LOL. But its just fun to bounce along. A lot has been happening but I am here now! 

• Like 2

Ugh. I didn't take lunch to school with me this morning because I wanted to test the waters and see how easy it would be to get away with not eating anything at my Friday school (the easiest to test, since I go to a different school after lunch and can stop by my apartment on the way) and it went much smoother than I thought, so I successfully broke the 24 hour mark instead of having my usual lunch OMAD. But now I'm facing a decision, because I was originally planning to fast Saturday and Sunday and break last challenge's 40 hour pr but only by a bit, slowly working my way up to longer fasts. But I now have to decide if I want to OMAD for dinner tonight and then start fasting until Sunday dinner, or if I want to just try pushing through and see how long I can go (Monday lunch, maybe?) 

Part of the issue is also that next week I have a good setup for an identical extended fast, with no Friday morning classes (and therefore no workplace lunch accountability) and no school at all on Monday, but the reason I have Monday off is because Sports Day is happening Saturday. Last year I was definitely rounded up and made to eat with the other teachers, and they'll absolutely notice if I don't have food. So maybe I should just do the extended fast now and aim for Saturday lunch --> Tuesday lunch next weekend? Argh. 

A large part of the problem is that I have to eat at work or explain myself, and I am definitely not up to the task of explaining fasting in Japanese. My coworkers already think I'm crazy for giving up rice, and even more so since it's been months and I've had very little progress shifting the weight (until recently, when I added fasting in). It was tough enough convincing them to let me quit school lunch so I could pursue keto properly. There's definitely Japanese research on fasting, because a Japanese scientist won the 2016 Nobel Prize in physiology with a study on autophagy, but I have no reason to expect my coworkers to casually know about that. And because they won't know, and I can't adequately explain, I end up just going along with expectations, even though it's not always what I want. 

I was hoping writing all this out would shed some clarity, but I've got nothing. I guess I'll just play it by ear. 

• Like 4