• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong: A Creature of Habit

YOU GUYS I BEAT MINERVA I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!   

Chem7E.gif

Actually I'm so hopped up on adrenaline I'm gonna take my walk after posting this, yikes, that was a scary twenty minutes

Anyway, defeating her prompts your SOLDIER buddy Kunsel to send Zack an email, which says

Someone apparently took care of this thing that's been on the back burner forever. All the bigwigs and everyone in SOLDIER are freaking out that it's the return of the SOLDIER legend. The source of the problem was apparently more powerful than a summon. Its materia reaction was so beyond measure, the gauge started to smoke. In fact, the materia power was so intense that other monsters, and even robots, became overloaded with mako and started going berserk. Anyway, I was thinking... This SOLDIER legend... Could everybody be talking about... YOU?

Normally, Minerva is an end-game boss. Most players don't challenge her until they have access to end-game equipment, but that also means they're at the end of the game plot-wise, a time when Zack is on the run after having been missing, presumed KIA for five years. Normally that timeline causes this message to imply Kunsel suspects you're alive and is on your side (at a time when everyone else you know is out to kill you). 

But I took on Minerva early. I haven't left Midgar yet. I got this message and was like, "Bro, I'm in the lobby, come downstairs, let's get a beer and chat about it. What do you mean by 'return,' anyway? I only went out to build my girlfriend a flower cart, I haven't been gone that long. We saw each other this morning. Wait, is this about my recent trip to Costa del Sol? I earned that vacation, man." 

Idk, it seemed very funny at the time. I'm going for that walk now. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Last year I was definitely rounded up and made to eat with the other teachers, and they'll absolutely notice if I don't have food.

I find the school's obsession with you (and other teachers) eating lunch really interesting. It isn't something I can imagine happening in the States, but they seem to care about their teachers' health much more than we do.

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Idk, it seemed very funny at the time. I'm going for that walk now. 

Confusing the game is fun! Have a good walk.

• Like 2

I think the longest I have fasted was just over the 24 hour mark. I have thought about trying to push one further. Just not sure how my body would react with running, and the super long fast :) I also can't even imagine the looks you would get from teh other teachers if you were going to tell them you are fasting haha.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Whisper said:

I find the school's obsession with you (and other teachers) eating lunch really interesting. It isn't something I can imagine happening in the States, but they seem to care about their teachers' health much more than we do.

It's honestly much more about student health than concern for the teachers. The teachers are all contractually obligated to eat school lunch to demonstrate healthy eating habits to the students. School lunches are portion-controlled, macro- and calorie-balanced, "well-rounded" meals, usually featuring rice, soup, seasonal vegetables, and some form of protein (meat or tofu); occasionally there's dessert, usually in the form of a piece of fruit but sometimes something special like mochi or jello. Teachers are supposed to eat everything to discourage students from being picky eaters. So I'm already breaking contract by eating keto, but I told them it's a special diet I'm undertaking to manage my cholesterol, and they can't fault me for that lol.

I also can't imagine this happening in the States, but largely because food culture in the States makes "healthy" school lunches seem like punishment to American students. Also teachers in the States would never put up with their workplace dictating what they can and cannot eat. Someone would probably make a free speech lawsuit about it. That's part of the reason I felt comfortable standing up for myself about keto: I'm working in Japan, but my job description is actually more "cultural exchange" than "teacher," so I felt ok about making an individualistic American stink to get my way. (Some of my school principals were not thrilled. I politely asked if it would be ok to stop eating school lunch, which I have to pay for, and they said they didn't think that would be a good idea. So I told them it's my body and my choice as to what I eat, so their options are to let me quit school lunch or for me to just not eat at all.) 

7 hours ago, Tateman said:

I think the longest I have fasted was just over the 24 hour mark. I have thought about trying to push one further. Just not sure how my body would react with running, and the super long fast :) I also can't even imagine the looks you would get from teh other teachers if you were going to tell them you are fasting haha.

I ended up not eating last night so I'm now at 46.5 hours! Not currently feeling hungry but in one or two hours when it's lunch time I might change my mind, haha. I've heard anecdotally that fasting doesn't much impact aerobic exercise, but you never know until you try it. On the other hand, I've had vastly different experiences with all my 24 hour fasts (the first one I was like the Energizer Bunny but crashed super hard the next day; the next one I was just a total sloth; mostly now I'm somewhere in-between, but usually not "normal" energy-wise). 

But yeah, I think the other teachers would be really upset if I told them I wasn't eating. Japan doesn't really have any fasting culture, unlike the States, where fasting is often done for religious or political purposes. Plus the teachers at my schools are always really concerned about me in general, because I'm a foreigner living alone, so they always want to be reassured that I'm eating properly and socializing and making sure I don't get sick. Yesterday I scratched my eyelid in the middle of the night (there was an itch, but my nail caught and scratched too hard) and I woke up with my eyelid all puffy and swollen. I went into work, sat down in the teachers lounge, and the school nurse looked up at me from across the room and called out, "Hey are you ok?? What happened to your eye???" Then the whole group of teachers currently present jumped in to discuss the most convenient options for eye doctors in the area. (My eyelid was fine by lunchtime. I did not go to a doctor.) This kind of thing happens a lot. So not only do I not want to tell them about fasting because I don't have the words to explain myself, I also don't want to deal with having the entire team weigh in on my eating choices. Which leaves me struggling to schedule long-term fasts, instead. 

• Like 4

Ended up breaking fast at 52 hours. Had a brief conversation with myself wherein I asked if I would regret breaking fast when I could potentially push it out farther, and I decided I wouldn't. I only meant to break my old record today, which I did by half a day; although I could theoretically have gone longer, I didn't plan on it for this weekend. So I'll just keep pushing my hours up a little at a time for now, and not worry about it. 

Today I finished my zero week CC goal and finished cleaning and took pictures. All that's left is blog work, a study session, and emailing my boss... not sure what to tell her. The Social Welfare Office wants me to teach English at cram school during summer vacation, but I'll have a few students preparing for an English speech contest in autumn, and they're my top priority. The SWO asked for my schedule, but I didn't keep the one from last year, and when I asked the teachers if they remembered it, they said it will depend on student availability. Since this year's contestants haven't been chosen yet, I have no idea what their availability will be. 

• Like 3

Am back, and following! How has everything gone since the move? (Have been out of the loop for a bit, I only half joke when I say I've been living under a rock )

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Am back, and following! How has everything gone since the move? (Have been out of the loop for a bit, I only half joke when I say I've been living under a rock emoji28.png)

You haven't missed much, I only really got back last challenge myself. Life has been pretty freaking great since moving here and settling in. All of the major stressors from my old job are pretty much gone (living with my parents, dealing with my mom's alcoholism daily, my shitty job, my uncertain prospects) and I'm living it up. There are things that I miss about my home country, of course, but by and large I'm really loving living here. 

If we could have a movie theater nearby and a better selection of foreign cuisine, either in restaurant form or stocked at the grocery store, and if I could get my kitchen counters raised a foot, I'd be living in paradise. Unfortunately, it's only going to last five years, so I'm trying to buckle down now and start using some of my splendid free time to prepare for my future. That part is scary. Hopefully preparation will make it less so, though. 

How about you? How's everything going? 

• Like 4

Today was tonari gumi day! Tonari gumi is "neighbor group." I was invited by my next-door neighbor and informed that this is really old-fashioned Japanese culture. Indeed, everyone there was an old retired lady except me, and afterward every man I ran into nearby said "hey, that was really nice of you to help out!" Yeah bro actually it's my neighborly duty, maybe YOU should help out next time?? You live here too. 

I'm a little salty lol, but actually it was pretty fun. On neighbor group day, the members of the neighbor group go out at the appointed time and clean the street of encroaching plant life. I was a bit bummed by that, because I really like the aesthetic of plant life encroaching on concrete and asphalt, but the most important part was pulling out any plants that were or could potentially get big enough to shelter mosquitoes. I am 100% in favor of that. The weather was great, and the old ladies just wanted to gossip and hang out, but we got a lot done and it took less than an hour. 

Many of them were very interested in my zucchinis, which are right by the street in the only sunny spot I've got and thus very visible to the neighborhood. But of course I'm an English-speaking foreigner so most of them had not wanted to approach me to ask about it on their own. I haven't gotten any squash yet, and in fact none of my flowers have even bloomed, but the buds are there and growing little by little! I've been keeping an eagle eye out for powdery mildew, which ruined my crop last year. So far so good, I think. I read somewhere that it's usually about 40 days from sprout to flower, so I'm hoping to see some progress in the next week or so. If anyone has any suggestions for me, particularly those of you who grow in places with humid summers, I'm all ears! I pruned the leaves today to improve airflow and promote growth, as instructed online, so hopefully that helps. 

I actually found zucchini at the grocery store today. They're going for $1.50/per, so I'm seriously hoping my crop comes in. 

• Like 4

You haven't missed much, I only really got back last challenge myself. Life has been pretty freaking great since moving here and settling in. All of the major stressors from my old job are pretty much gone (living with my parents, dealing with my mom's alcoholism daily, my shitty job, my uncertain prospects) and I'm living it up. There are things that I miss about my home country, of course, but by and large I'm really loving living here. 

If we could have a movie theater nearby and a better selection of foreign cuisine, either in restaurant form or stocked at the grocery store, and if I could get my kitchen counters raised a foot, I'd be living in paradise. Unfortunately, it's only going to last five years, so I'm trying to buckle down now and start using some of my splendid free time to prepare for my future. That part is scary. Hopefully preparation will make it less so, though. 

How about you? How's everything going? 

Actually really similar here (minus the move to another country), I feel so much better in this job than my previous one it's ridiculous - my anxiety levels went from permanently running at about 11 to hovering around a 3-4 on a normal basis, so when I do get super anxious because of something acute going on I literally just think "...how did I live like this 25/7?!" I'm also reaching out to a local volunteer organization, here it's Young Professionals, I met them while doing a volunteer opportunity my job requested us to go to if we were available last week. Sometime this week I want to stop by their office and sign up for the organization itself, the lady who runs it was really nice.

The counters being low would drive me nuts! And no theater is kinda a bummer, as well as not having a lot of really familiar food after a move like that. But I'm super glad to hear overall it's going well for you!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NightWatcher13 said:

I feel so much better in this job than my previous one it's ridiculous - my anxiety levels went from permanently running at about 11 to hovering around a 3-4 on a normal basis, so when I do get super anxious because of something acute going on I literally just think "...how did I live like this 25/7?!"

I definitely understand how you feel. My family came to visit last month and it was very much a "yup, they still drive me nuts, I'm not recovering I'm just reaping the benefits of no longer dealing with this shit daily" situation. I can't figure out how I managed to live with them so long... it must have been inertia, there's nothing else I can think of. 

The counters being low would drive me nuts!

They are mid-upper thigh height. They hit me below my crotch. And I'm rather long-torso'd, so it's even worse. Doing dishes is the worst, since the sink is obviously even lower than the counters. Ugh. 

I'm super glad to hear overall it's going well for you!

You as well! And I forgot to say it before, but welcome back to NF! 

• Like 2

@Rookie I finally got started on the new cour of SNK and omg. Shit is GETTING REAL. 

I spent the day working on my blog (after I finished cleaning the street) but it's still not up. Also no study session. Starting this week, studying is a priority, so... I guess I'll get right to it tomorrow, or else. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

@Rookie I finally got started on the new cour of SNK and omg. Shit is GETTING REAL. 

Yesssssssss ... Usually the new episode is out today but this one isn't out until Wednesday ...  Ugh.. the heck... Ugh lol

• Like 2

I did not study or deal with blog stuff today. I also did not OMAD today. I prepped lunches for the week this morning, but they're not calorically dense enough. I don't have exact knowledge of cutoffs, but I know there are serious metabolic differences between fasting (no calories) and calorie restriction below a certain threshold, and I don't want to poke that bear. The food I prepped somewhat resembles jambalaya I guess (with cauli-rice) but is different enough that I wouldn't want to appropriate that name. It's basically cauliflower, tomato, sausage, and okra, with a bunch of spices thrown in. I'm only eating about a packed cup of this stuff per lunch... probably wouldn't be able to eat more if I had to, since there's so much fiber in it. So this week I'll do IF 18:6 with lunch and dinner, and next week I'll think about my circumstances before I go chasing another harebrained (but delicious) idea for meal preps. 

I prepped hamburgers tonight, and while shopping also picked up some bell peppers, which I'll stuff with ground meat and cheese and bake, I guess. I also did a bunch of dishes tonight -- I was supposed to do them this morning, but I was busy cooking, so that didn't happen. A few hours late is better than a few days late? Maybe? Move goal didn't happen but I did go for a walk. Basically, it's been a below-average day from a goal standpoint. Mrrrrr. 

On top of all that, I've got powdery mildew on my zucchini again, so I'll trim the affected leaves and treat the rest tomorrow. Milk and soap seems to be the suggestion of choice, since I don't have any potassium bicarbonate handy. Ugh. The internet seems to think PM doesn't ruin your harvest, but last year the internet told me it can prevent flowers from blooming, which was definitely the problem I was having then. Hopefully I'll be ok this year. :< I wanna eat zucchini. 

• Like 4

Oh no your poor zucchini! I hope you get that stuff figured out because I want you to eat your zucchini! 

Re: not jambalaya... when in doubt call it a casserole lol or stew or curry. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Re: not jambalaya... when in doubt call it a casserole lol or stew or curry. 

"Jambalaya-inspired rice casserole" lol

Still not quite caught up on SNK... I probably shouldn't be watching it when I have studying and blogging to do, but in all fairness if I didn't watch it I'd've just spent the time on reddit rather than being productive. Marcooooooo T_T 

A mosquito has been terrorizing me all evening, chasing me around the apartment and then disappearing when I try to retaliate. I finally killed her. Unfortunately, she was my third today (one was on my hanging laundry, and another was in my apartment this morning). So it's officially That Time again. A few of my windows can support flower boxes, so I've been thinking I should make a basil perimeter or something. I really hate those bugs, man. 

• Like 4

On 5/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, Wobbegong said:

That's a fun way to get kids to see what you see. I think I'm still like a kid with that willful blindness to mess sometimes, lol. But I'm trying! 

I don't mind the dust so much, its the dog hair that has taken over all the floor that gets me.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:13 AM, Wobbegong said:

I have it on good authority that Guild Leader and Guild Ambassador applications will be opening up again shortly. There will be a site-wide announcement when the time comes, but I thought I'd mention it here as well and give people a bit of a heads up if you want to think about applying. I know a lot of people in Rebel are in Rebel because our health goals center more on not drowning than on mastering specific methods of exercise, and a lot of people are here on a transitional basis while they sort out what they're really aiming for, and both of those populations tend to have a lot going on and maybe not so much bandwidth for extra forum responsibilities. 

If you do think you have the time and you're interested, apply! I've been told my advice (and that of the other GLs) on the candidates will be solicited, so drop me a line if you're thinking about it so I can prepare to say good things about you. If you have any questions about the positions or what we're looking for, feel free to ask. 

tenor.gif

I would love to take it, if I thought i could handle it, but really, I may just lose what hair I have left.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

tenor.gif

I would love to take it, if I thought i could handle it, but really, I may just lose what hair I have left.

To be honest if you applied I might have to stage an intervention. As much as I would love having you on the team, I don't want to be even slightly responsible for adding to your workload. 

I hereby send a well-wish into the universe that the NEXT time NF GL and ambassador applications open up, Bean Sidhe's life is running so smoothly she's found the time to be bored. 

• Like 2

Today I moved! I ate only between 1 and 7! I studied! I prepared to do more studying! I worked on my blog! I walked! AND YET MY ZUCCHINI IS STILL STRUGGLING. 

In case anyone is wondering, the Japanese word for powdery mildew is "udonkobyou," literally "wheat flour sickness." I looked it up last night and was very glad it had such a memorable and straightforward name because this morning when I was treating my plants a little kid stopped by on her way to school and asked what I was doing. I felt so fluent calmly explaining to her that my zucchini had powdery mildew, and I was cutting off the afflicted leaves and spraying medicine on the rest. I also told her that the sickness wasn't dangerous, but it would prevent the flowers from blooming and then I wouldn't get any zucchini. She listened with interest, asked questions (which I was able to understand and answer!) and finally said "thank you" really happily and ran off. MY HEART. 

I was exactly the same as a kid, always curious about everything and happy to ask any adults around what they were doing. It was really nice to pay it forward. Then I went on to have similar conversations with a few adults throughout the day, all of whom know the term for powdery mildew because all my friends are old gardener ladies. 

Of course, even after taking such care this morning, it started raining this afternoon and is expected to continue all day tomorrow. We'll see if my poor zucchini survives. 

• Like 3

A while ago I bought a bunch of marrow bones for bone broth (I bought some connective tissue knuckle and such too), but as I have yet to successfully make a delicious broth, the bones have mostly just been sitting in the freezer waiting for me to build up the courage to try again. 

Tonight I said "forget the soup" and roasted some bones and just ate the marrow out of them with salt. I gotta say it was pretty freaking amazingly delicious. All of the online recipes I looked at said to spread the results on bread, but obviously I'm not eating bread right now, so I just went for it straight, and damn. So good. So now I'm permanently excusing myself from soup duty! If I want broth, I'll buy it, but from now on bones in my house are for roasting. 

I caught up on SNK (Rookie! Why!! T_T) but didn't do anything else for my challenge. It's only halfway into week one and I have the sense I may need to reevaluate my priorities. I'll think about it tomorrow and update. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Marrow is incredible.

It turns out reheated marrow is a little odd. Still delicious, but something about it requires significantly more mental gymnastics ("I KNOW this is gonna be delicious, it's not gross! Put it in your mouth! Don't gag, it's awesome?!?! Swallow, damnit!") than eating it freshly cooked. Whatever, learning experiences. 

On 5/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, Wobbegong said:

It's only halfway into week one and I have the sense I may need to reevaluate my priorities. I'll think about it tomorrow and update.

Well it's been a few days since then and I'm now at the point of "seriously what have I even been doing these past few days?" 

It's too much habiting for me to deal with blog + studying + CC on a schedule + exercise + diet. I'm fine on diet since my habits there are pretty established, but trying out fasting leaves me with weird periods of unstructured I'm-usually-eating-now time, which throws me off. The others are all unestablished habits, and getting them all going at once is not working for me. So I'm booting studying for now, moving CC up to top priority, and pushing out my blog set up goal that I was supposed to finish last challenge, and then zero week, out to the 19th. That's a few days shy of the end of the challenge, but that's when I'm going back to the States. I want it to be up and running by the time I get back, so when people ask about keeping in touch I can promote myself. 

Exercise is still pretty hit and miss, but I think if I can figure out how to remind myself when I'm not eating breakfast that I can use that time for movement, I'll be ok. We'll see. 

I also have a "secret" weight loss goal that I've mentioned in other people's challenges, but not here. I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible before the wedding (on the 22nd), with a more concrete goal of 5kg. There's a lot more to weight loss than the number on the scale, and I'm tracking other metrics, but this challenge I just want to focus on the scale. I started tracking during zero week at 88.8kg and am down to 86.4 today, so if I keep going at this pace I'll just about make it. (My even more secret goal is to be down two pants sizes by my return, which would be from 12/14 to 8/10. I'll probably be really bloated from eating exciting American crap when I'm shopping for wardrobe updates, so I don't know how this will go lol.) 

My zucchini's flower buds FINALLY started blooming. Unfortunately a female flower bloomed first, so she definitely didn't get pollinated. Bummer. But at least it's blooming at all! I'll keep working on it! 

• Like 3

Today I hit my move and eat goals and smashed through CC Chapter 8 and about a third of Chapter 9. I was supposed to have Chapter 8 finished yesterday, but I'm back on track now. This is new territory for me (I usually don't go past Chapter 7, since 8 is where shit gets real) but it's so high-tension that I want to keep pushing through. It's like the climax of a good book, I can't put it down. 

I keep ranting about my stupid zucchini and probably no one cares but the flowers are misbehaving again. They engorge and turn bright orange (on the inside) but don't seem to open up. How are you supposed to get pollinated like that?! I ask you. So I'm trying to hand pollinate them, but I'm not sure if they're fully mature enough? Only they seem to wilt quite quickly (normally zucchini blossoms have a lifespan of about a day) so hopefully they are fully grown and it's fine? I have no idea. It might just be the weather, a bunch of flowers seemed ready to come in yesterday and then it poured all day, so... I dunno. I'll keep at it. 

• Like 3

I popped in to see your reaction lolllllll I had the same one. 

I care about your zucchini. You nurse those little zucchini babies <3 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I keep ranting about my stupid zucchini and probably no one cares but the flowers are misbehaving again.

I also care about your zucchini.

• Thanks 1