• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong: A Creature of Habit

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, Wobbegong said:

This isn't all my zero-week list items 

What do you recommend for zero week? I didn't quite understand that in the challenge instructions.... I realise that four weeks isn't enough time to establish habits, but seems just about long enough to see progress on specific goals. So I assumed zero week was just to re-set the counter, review progress so far and make minor adjustments, but I've seen a few people on here seem to throw themselves headlong into additional challenges to prepare for the four-week challenges....? I'm easily confused :)

19 hours ago, Rookie said:

I popped in to see your reaction lolllllll I had the same one. 

I have a friend who quit watching somewhere in season 2 and when I watched this week's episode I was basically live commentating the whole thing to her (she's not concerned about spoilers and I was having buffering issues that kept giving me time to update her). I pride myself that my storytelling skills make keeping up with the plot more enjoyable for her. Luckily it was a good episode for it with very little action and a lot of agonizing over tough decisions. To be honest, the best thing about this episode was the preview of next week's. The title for the new episode is encouraging. 

(I tried not to spoil anything at all for any readers who are watching but aren't caught up or for you in case you haven't had a chance to watch this week's episode yet. How'd I do?) 

19 hours ago, Rookie said:

I care about your zucchini. You nurse those little zucchini babies <3 

18 hours ago, Whisper said:

I also care about your zucchini.

I appreciate both of you saying this. Thank you. I'll continue to provide updates -- today I had two brilliant fully-opened proper flowers. They were both male, though, so no chance of fruit. 

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Your zucchini are important to a lot of people.

I'm not sure if you're implying you're one of those people or just trying to remind me of how the people I know in-person here are all over me about the zucchini. Which they are, and I appreciate that interest too, but I want to be able to talk to people about them in English. Because I'm needy like that. So I'm glad to hear there are a few people here who aren't so bored by my incessant rambling. 

Actually, another layer of mystery was recently added to the local interest aspect when TWO of my neighbors (in different conversations) casually told me they don't like zucchini. Why are you so eager for mine to grow, then?! I don't understand people here at all. 

12 hours ago, StillStar said:

What do you recommend for zero week? I didn't quite understand that in the challenge instructions.... I realise that four weeks isn't enough time to establish habits, but seems just about long enough to see progress on specific goals. So I assumed zero week was just to re-set the counter, review progress so far and make minor adjustments, but I've seen a few people on here seem to throw themselves headlong into additional challenges to prepare for the four-week challenges....? I'm easily confused :)

In the simplest terms, I recommend you do with zero week whatever makes the most sense for you. For a lot of people, that means "re-set the counter," as you said. They take the opportunity to shift back into first gear, dust off any accumulated road grime from the last challenge, take stock of what went well and what didn't, and get pumped to start fresh. A lot of people (and there's some overlap between this category and the other group I listed) feel like habits happen all the time, not just when NF says a challenge is active, so they start their new challenge from zero week day 1 or finish their old challenge on zero week day 7 and roll over to a new thread when the challenge officially begins. But even some habit-oriented people like to take a week to chill out. Whatever works. 

I personally usually have a few goals related to the NF standards (eat, move, level up your life) and a list of challenge To Do's. Last challenge I didn't finish my list, so I rolled a few remaining items over and used this challenge's zero week as an extended deadline. That's the "zero-week items" I was referring to in the comment you quoted. A few people in Rebel have picked up their own version of a challenge list, so it's become kind of a staple you see around here, but I'm not sure how common it is in other guilds. (Which doesn't mean it's not allowed! Just that different guilds have different cultures by virtue of everyone in the guild kind of hanging around everyone else.) 

I hope that makes sense as an explanation! If it doesn't, or if there's anything else that's got you confused, let me know. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StillStar said:

I personally use zero week to take a few days to not track and unwind a bit and then figure out if I want to change any of my goals and to try out new things to see how ready I am for the next challenge. This past zero week I was trying out macro counting to see if it was something I was ready to do. I was not ready lol. 

10 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I have a friend who quit watching somewhere in season 2 and when I watched this week's episode I was basically live commentating the whole thing to her (she's not concerned about spoilers and I was having buffering issues that kept giving me time to update her). I pride myself that my storytelling skills make keeping up with the plot more enjoyable for her. Luckily it was a good episode for it with very little action and a lot of agonizing over tough decisions. To be honest, the best thing about this episode was the preview of next week's. The title for the new episode is encouraging. 

(I tried not to spoil anything at all for any readers who are watching but aren't caught up or for you in case you haven't had a chance to watch this week's episode yet. How'd I do?) 

That's actually really cute lol aside from boyfriend and his brother I don't really know anyone else that watches it. Some of his friends watch it but they are a bit too intense for me to enjoy talking about it with them. Plus they've read the manga so they know what's going to happen already. It's a shame more people don't watch it because its so good!!!! 

You did very good. If I hadn't watched it yesterday I wouldn't know what you were talking about lol I was ultimately happy about the outcome and omg that preview. I'm pumped for next episode. As soon as I finished watching last night I wanted to hop on here and be like Duuuuudeeeeee but didn't know if you had seen it lol. I'm not as good at not spoiling things unintentionally lol

I appreciate both of you saying this. Thank you. I'll continue to provide updates -- today I had two brilliant fully-opened proper flowers. They were both male, though, so no chance of fruit. 

No problem! How do you know the flowers are male?

Actually, another layer of mystery was recently added to the local interest aspect when TWO of my neighbors (in different conversations) casually told me they don't like zucchini. Why are you so eager for mine to grow, then?! I don't understand people here at all. 

I think it's just the different culture where they know you care about it so they want you to succeed. 

• Like 3

These are some of the conversations I had today. For context, on Saturday I went to an elementary school event but left early, citing a headache that was being exacerbated by the noise volume generated by the kids and the crowd. I was at a middle school today, where I brought a lunch of four parboiled eggs in a rich fatty pork bone broth. 

On arrival: 

School Nurse: Wobbegong! Are you all right?

Me: I'm fine, thanks. Everything ok? 

SN: I heard you weren't feeling well this weekend! 

Me: It was just a headache. The event was too loud. (How did you even know about that??) 

SN: So it wasn't a fever. That's good, they said you felt unwell. Take better care of yourself. 

Mid-morning: 

Tea Lady: So you got sick at that event, huh.

Me: It was just a headache

TL: It's because you drink too much plain water. On hot days when you sweat, you lose water AND electrolytes. You have to drink salt. 

Me: I know. And I do. 

TL: When I make up a water bottle, I add salt to it! And a little sugar. I put a lot of sugar in it for her, though. *nods at the school English teacher.* She likes it sweet. But you don't eat sugar, so you have to be really careful. 

Me: I mix (table) salt and potassium and magnesium into my water bottle. I don't need it to be sweet. 

TL: !!! Potassium? Where do you get that??

Me: The grocery store sells a product that's 48% table salt, 46% potassium, and 4% magnesium (plus 2% something I can't read on the label). 

TL: Wow, Wobbegong. I'm impressed! You may know what you're doing after all. 

Just before lunch: 

Me: *grabbing my lunch from my bag* 

Tea Lady: That's all you're taking?! Just soup?? 

Me: ...yeah

TL: That's not enough food! 

Me: I'm sure it's plenty. I'm not that hungry. 

TL: *look of frustration* I don't have anything to give you that you'll eat. :/ Fine, go then. 

Just after lunch: 

School Nurse: What did you have for lunch today? 

Me: Soup. 

SN: SOUP? And what else?? 

Me: ...eggs? There were four eggs in my soup. 

SN: You mean egg soup

Me: Uhh. Sure? (I got the sense "egg soup" meant something like Chinese egg drop soup but I wasn't up to argue about it.)  

SN: YOU NEED TO EAT MORE. 

Me: I'm really full... 

SN: You look really tired! How many more classes do you have today? 

Me: Two. (Of two remaining class periods.) 

SN: Go rest and drink some tea before next class! 

On returning to the teacher's room:

Tea Lady: You seriously just ate soup. Aren't you starving?

Me: I'm actually really full. I ate four eggs. 

TL: Four eggs? 
Me: Yeah. 

TL: What kind of soup was this? 
Me: Pork soup. 

TL: Tch! Just soup and eggs for lunch. What did you eat for breakfast? 
Me: ...I didn't eat breakfast. 

TL: You don't eat breakfast! You hardly eat lunch! What's dinner going to be? Meat? 
Me: Probably meat, yeah. Haven't decided yet. 

TL: Make sure to eat some meat! Eat a lot! Have some tea! 

So in case anyone was wondering if I'm exaggerating about the culture of Is Wobbegong OK going on here... this all happened in one day. 

And this excerpt is omitting the similar conversations I had with 1) my carpool buddy 2) the English teacher 3) the school principal and 4) THE MAILMAN. Today. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Rookie said:

That's actually really cute lol aside from boyfriend and his brother I don't really know anyone else that watches it. Some of his friends watch it but they are a bit too intense for me to enjoy talking about it with them. Plus they've read the manga so they know what's going to happen already. It's a shame more people don't watch it because its so good!!!! 

I have my friend who I force to keep up with it just by talking about it at her and another friend who is currently watching, but he's SUPER spoilers-averse and always a few days to a few weeks behind me so maintaining those conversations is troublesome. 

It's definitely fun to watch and fun to have people to talk about it with. I have a lot of problems with the pacing and the characterization but the fights are cool and the plot is engaging (even when the characters are infuriating). I'm super ready to see what's in that goddamn basement. 

You did very good. If I hadn't watched it yesterday I wouldn't know what you were talking about lol I was ultimately happy about the outcome and omg that preview. I'm pumped for next episode. As soon as I finished watching last night I wanted to hop on here and be like Duuuuudeeeeee but didn't know if you had seen it lol. I'm not as good at not spoiling things unintentionally lol

I'm having mixed feelings about the outcome because like... they were told about the "medicine" in advance but did they all consent to being dosed should the need arise? Or did they all kind of plan on not being the one in a position to need it? But they're also soldiers and lesser citizens (right, Wall Sina people), so who knows what kind of rights you sign away when you join scouts / are born without if you have the misfortune of not being from within Wall Sina. But coming to terms with the results of being dosed was super hard for Eren and all his friends and literally everyone inside the walls. So this concept that if you accidentally don't die properly when you get the chance, you could be next to go through that, is a little rough. "Victory at any cost" is great for the general population but really hard on whoever ends up footing the bill. 

I mean, Levi absolutely made the right choice, but his choice simultaneously deserves the chance but doesn't deserve that price tag lol. 

No problem! How do you know the flowers are male?

It's very easy to tell! The male flowers grow on stems, and the female flowers grow from the butts of tiny baby zucchinis (which will turn into delicious normal sized zucchinis when fertilized). 

male-vs-female-zucchini-flower.jpg

I think it's just the different culture where they know you care about it so they want you to succeed. 

Could be. I'm also a young person on a street full of retired old people, so they putter around gardening all day. Might be refreshing for them to see someone my age try my hand at it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

And this excerpt is omitting the similar conversations I had with 1) my carpool buddy 2) the English teacher 3) the school principal and 4) THE MAILMAN. Today

They care, they really do!

3 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

It's definitely fun to watch and fun to have people to talk about it with. I have a lot of problems with the pacing and the characterization but the fights are cool and the plot is engaging (even when the characters are infuriating). I'm super ready to see what's in that goddamn basement. 

Next weeks episode... they open basement... we see.....

Image result for tumbleweed gif

lol. Can you imagine? Just empty.. nothing there...

I'm having mixed feelings about the outcome because like... they were told about the "medicine" in advance but did they all consent to being dosed should the need arise? Or did they all kind of plan on not being the one in a position to need it? But they're also soldiers and lesser citizens (right, Wall Sina people), so who knows what kind of rights you sign away when you join scouts / are born without if you have the misfortune of not being from within Wall Sina. But coming to terms with the results of being dosed was super hard for Eren and all his friends and literally everyone inside the walls. So this concept that if you accidentally don't die properly when you get the chance, you could be next to go through that, is a little rough. "Victory at any cost" is great for the general population but really hard on whoever ends up footing the bill. 

I mean, Levi absolutely made the right choice, but his choice simultaneously deserves the chance but doesn't deserve that price tag lol. 

Oh I didn't think that in depth about it. Yah I mean I would feel if I were in that situation I would think I am expendable and that the "medicine" would be meant for a more superior ranking officer. So I wouldn't even think it would apply to me .. just kind of a "this is the plan do your part". Which that Floch guy did.  My main thought was damn thats a lot of pressure on that person when they find out who the choice was between. Like don't fuck up.... we chose your life over this other persons life. I have more thoughts but don't know how to generalize them without spoiling lol also don't know how to do spoiler tags haha.

It's very easy to tell! The male flowers grow on stems, and the female flowers grow from the butts of tiny baby zucchinis (which will turn into delicious normal sized zucchinis when fertilized). 

male-vs-female-zucchini-flower.jpg

Ommmmmmg.... mini zucchini :O I never knew this! 

Image result for its so cute gif

Could be. I'm also a young person on a street full of retired old people, so they putter around gardening all day. Might be refreshing for them to see someone my age try my hand at it. 

Oh yes that could be it then. But omg everyone seems so sweet there... maybe annoyingly sweet. lolllll even the mail man. 

Just now, Rookie said:

Oh and don't forget to do the all-guild mini challenge guild leader ;)

I haven't forgotten, I just don't have a convenient way to measure time spent being mindful, or the minutes when I was mindful and then got distracted. I'll fill in my best estimates.

I went to post on some non-Rebel challenges this morning and got distracted reading up on my old Assassin friends threads. I didn't end up commenting on them. :/ I'll get to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow. From what I understand, that side of the pacific has different social norms regarding commenting on other people's habits. Also, it's probably some old-people-patronizing-the-young-person you are dealing with, which is pretty universal. I don't know your faith tradition, if any, but in mine there is a record of a young pastor having to deal with the same thing. Paul wrote a letter to Timothy that ended up in Christian Scripture. The relevant part is 1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no one despise you for your youth..." It's been around a long time. On top of that, you are going against conventional nutrition wisdom, which is something people comment on very often regardless of where. If the threshold for being ok to comment on other people is lower, you are getting it a lot. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I would not enjoy it at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I would not enjoy it at all.

It drives me nuts, honestly. It's not just diet, they're all up in my business about medical stuff, too. (There doesn't seem to be a HIPAA equivalent in Japan.) I try to remind myself that they're just trying to show that they care, that the culture is different, and that I really appreciate how ready they are to help me in times when I actually need assistance (like when a giant centipede snuck into my apartment and bit me last summer). 

But it's also tough because I wasn't raised with this kind of interaction. My parents have never shown this level of concern for my welfare; it's always been more of a "we expect you to deal with it yourself or tell us if you need a ride to the hospital" situation with them. They made sure I had access to care as needed, they just largely didn't provide it themselves. That, combined with a few other factors of my upbringing, makes me basically incapable of accepting this kind of well-meaning meddling. It comes across to me as both an invasion of privacy and an invalidation of hard-won independence, and I have so little tolerance for it, it basically gets suffocating right away. 

Some of it is definitely culture, some of it is probably age, and some of it is also that while I can carry a conversation, I can't explain my way of eating articulately in Japanese. I can't explain the physiology of ketosis or autophagy. And because I can't explain, and because I'm a foreigner who obviously knows so very little about the "correct" Japanese way of doing things, there's probably some xenophobic condescension going on. I don't like to assume people are like that, but my coworkers are very open about being (what I consider) close-minded on so many fronts that I kind of have to assume I'm not an exception. 

Whatever. We all have our cross to bear, as they say. 

• Like 2

That is less cute. If only you could switch it off. Quite frankly even if you could explain ketosis I doubt they would accept it. At least that's my experience with Chinese people. And I could see that being a thing with Japanese people where rice is a staple in the diet. I was doing low carb at 2 different points in my life and they both had the same outlook. "How could you not be eating rice? What about bread? That's all you are eating? Just meat and veg?" 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That was one of my thoughts as well, but I didn't know how to say it without assuming stereotypes...

I mean, you never want to say "Well you're from rural Japan so I assume you're racist (and probably also ableist, sexist, and homophobic, among other things)" but in my case I know these people. I've heard them make fun of students they even suspect of being homosexual to the other teachers, and heard other teachers laugh in response. I've seen them compare me (a person who majored in Japanese and has a basis of really strong language skills in my mother language and a smartphone with two great translation apps) to tri-lingual transfer students from the Philippines whose very limited language experience (because they're seven years old) has covered speaking English at home, Tagalog in the community, and now Japanese at school; and I've seen them resent the difficulty of accommodating the students. I've been told more times than I can count that I should seize my chance while I'm here and snag a Japanese husband. I've witnessed special needs students being neglected and shunted aside because there aren't enough resources to support them, and witnessed their teachers expressing sentiments from "I wish I could do more but I'm too busy" to "he really should be sent to a special school for people like that" to "I mean, his parents don't want anyone to know that he's disabled. It's obvious he's stupid, but we can't talk about it. So don't worry so much about him, you can't do anything anyway." 

I haven't had ALL of these experiences with EVERY person I know in Japan. But I've had a fair cross section with most of them, enough to know these are the general sentiments of the community here. So as much as it sucks, it is definitely a case of "reinforcing negative stereotypes"/"the stereotype exists for a reason." So while I appreciate you not wanting to stereotype people here, I'm honestly happy fine to step in and say, "nope, that's exactly how it is." (Not happy about it, but getting along.) 

7 hours ago, Rookie said:

That is less cute. If only you could switch it off. Quite frankly even if you could explain ketosis I doubt they would accept it. At least that's my experience with Chinese people. And I could see that being a thing with Japanese people where rice is a staple in the diet. I was doing low carb at 2 different points in my life and they both had the same outlook. "How could you not be eating rice? What about bread? That's all you are eating? Just meat and veg?" 

I got really lucky at one of my schools and two other teachers there happened to be interested in ketosis, so they also did it (for a couple of months only) and explained everything to the other teachers. So my coworkers at that school are all 100% on board and supportive. My other three schools... not so much. At one of them I did end up mentioning fasting and was able to slide by with a shoutout to Yoshinori Ohsumi (a Japanese researcher who won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology for his studies on autophagy). Since he's Japanese, it must be legit, right? ;) But they're still not sold on the whole no carbs thing. And I have one school where the tea lady is into fad diets, so when she's pushy with me about "better" options it's simultaneously annoying and hilarious. Her advice so far has ranged from "eat an entire cucumber before bed every day" to "drink a mix of half coffee half green tea before every meal." (She made me a cup once. It was bizarre. But Japanese coffee is already an experience in masochism.) 

• Like 1

It sounds very trying/tiring. I guess all you can do is try and switch to smug mode. I mean, you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Bless the cute, concerned people carrying on in their ignorance. No point in trying to explain what is right for YOU to THEM. Just let them fuss. And repeat "water off a duck's back, water off a duck's back". Good luck!

• Like 1

Just made burgers with cheddar cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms, and homemade "animal" sauce (just like my vague memories of In-n-Out). I feel soooo happy. Hopefully this was the correct choice tonight. The past few nights I've been super wired when I try to go to sleep and ended up staying up way too late and being exhausted in the morning. Today I slept in for an hour. I had the time to spare, since I usually get up at the same time every day even though due to my commute I have a lot more time some mornings than others, but I also usually don't want to sleep in. 

I've had a lot of health problems in my life, including one that left me sleeping 16-20 hours a day for a couple of weeks. I have no problem sleeping in if it's a luxury on a day I have free, but when I know I've got stuff to do and I wake up just wanting to sleep it kind of stresses me out. I know I'm not sick, but something's different, and I want it to go back to normal! It's not even eight and I'm close to crashing now, though, so hopefully I'm good. 

Completely unrelated, but @Rookie's paintings have me itching to make some art myself, but I was unhappy with the size of the paper I brought with me, so I went to Daiso and bought a roll of a better size. The paper is marked "Bulletin board," "Poster," "Graph making," and "Construction," and also says "CAUTION: Please do not use this product for any purpose other than the designated purpose." If I paint on it, will the Daiso police come after me? 

The size of the paper is listed perfectly reasonably in metric and absolutely bizarrely in imperial (I suppose to people used to metric, imperial is automatically absolutely bizarre). "Size: 1ft. 21.5in. x 2 ft. 31in." Do people who grow up with metric not learn how to divide with remainders? 

Spoiler

For those who are confused, there are 12 inches in a foot, so rather than listing the total number of feet AND the total number of inches, we list the total number of feet and the remaining inches, so 21.5 inches becomes 1ft 9.5in (notated 1'9"), and 31 inches becomes 2ft 7in, or 2'7". Simply divide the number of inches by 12 and instead of continuing to calculate the decimal bit, write down how many are left over. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Just made burgers with cheddar cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms, and homemade "animal" sauce (just like my vague memories of In-n-Out). I feel soooo happy. Hopefully this was the correct choice tonight. 

That sounds DELICIOUS. I don't know what animal sauce is but I am imagining some version of big mac sauce or harveys sauce. Hopefully you don't become wired from it. 

I've had a lot of health problems in my life, including one that left me sleeping 16-20 hours a day for a couple of weeks. I have no problem sleeping in if it's a luxury on a day I have free, but when I know I've got stuff to do and I wake up just wanting to sleep it kind of stresses me out. I know I'm not sick, but something's different, and I want it to go back to normal! It's not even eight and I'm close to crashing now, though, so hopefully I'm good. 

Maybe your body just has something going on and its like excuse me I need sleep. I get so thrown off when sleep gets messed up. 

Completely unrelated, but @Rookie's paintings have me itching to make some art myself, but I was unhappy with the size of the paper I brought with me, so I went to Daiso and bought a roll of a better size. The paper is marked "Bulletin board," "Poster," "Graph making," and "Construction," and also says "CAUTION: Please do not use this product for any purpose other than the designated purpose." If I paint on it, will the Daiso police come after me? 

The size of the paper is listed perfectly reasonably in metric and absolutely bizarrely in imperial (I suppose to people used to metric, imperial is automatically absolutely bizarre). "Size: 1ft. 21.5in. x 2 ft. 31in." Do people who grow up with metric not learn how to divide with remainders? 

Reveal hidden contents

For those who are confused, there are 12 inches in a foot, so rather than listing the total number of feet AND the total number of inches, we list the total number of feet and the remaining inches, so 21.5 inches becomes 1ft 9.5in (notated 1'9"), and 31 inches becomes 2ft 7in, or 2'7". Simply divide the number of inches by 12 and instead of continuing to calculate the decimal bit, write down how many are left over. 

You don't understand how much I love this (or maybe you do? :O) You are the second person in 24hrs to tell me I had a part in them starting up art. This is honestly a huge compliment! GO GO BE CREATIVE AND ART AND THEN SHARE. Thanks :D 

I think you are a rebel... and rebels use paper not for their intended purpose 

Image result for badass gif

As for the paper lol that is just weird. I find since us Canadians are just ontop of the US of A we have a healthy mix of imperial and metric lol  Technically our measurement system is metric but in the real world the only ones I see on a daily basis are km, g, kg, ml, L. (Even then I use lbs not kg unless for work haha). Like height I just go by 5'10 but some people still do it in cm... sooo 178cm i think would be my height. (too lazy to look it up and do the maths haha). And when we are jumping horses .. this is fun. If you are doing "Jumpers" they measure in metres (.80m, .90m, 1m, 1.10m) and "Hunters" are done in ft + in (2'0, 2'3, 2'6, 3', 3'3). This is the same everywhere you go from what I have seen so far (US, Canada) This is probably because "Jumpers" was born in Europe and they don't really have "hunters" over there. 

I feel that paper isn't truly in metric... because if it were it would not use ft or inches but cm. Every piece of paper and canvas I have seen here has been like 8.5x11", 11x14", 12x12", 16x24" etc. I love that they say 1ft 21.5in haha seems so silly. like you already went through the effort to have a ft measurement in there.... finish it! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

As for the paper lol that is just weird. I find since us Canadians are just ontop of the US of A we have a healthy mix of imperial and metric lol 

Haha I was just thinking as an Australian we're fully metric but also I've had to learn a lot of imperial anyway just so I can understand the rest of the world! 

Also @Wobbegong, I've been using a daikon grater for garlic for years and the Daiso police still haven't caught me, I think you'll be fine ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Rookie said:

I feel that paper isn't truly in metric... because if it were it would not use ft or inches but cm.

It's listed perfectly reasonably IN MM. 58.5 x 78.8cm? Noooooooo. 585 x 788mm. The thickness is labeled as 0.13mm, so at least that's consistent (in the imperial conversion it's listed as 0.005in, which is fine I guess... we usually use fractions for sizes smaller than one inch, but I don't think we usually go down to "one two-hundredth of an inch" lol). For the record, the English translation of this weight (I call the thickness of the paper its weight, is that normal?) is "Most Thick Thickness." 

I just love everything about the label on this paper lol. 

That sounds DELICIOUS. I don't know what animal sauce is but I am imagining some version of big mac sauce or harveys sauce. Hopefully you don't become wired from it. 

Someone posted about making some in r/ketorecipes and I was like "you know I have most of what's needed to approximate that..." It comes out to ketchup, mayo, pickle relish, garlic, salt/pepper, and the recipe poster used a couple other sauces (steak, worcestershire, I didn't pay close attention) which I didn't have, so I subbed in a touch of oyster sauce and some paprika and cumin. It's In-n-Out's signature sauce so the official recipe is top secret (actually it's so secret it's not even on the official In-n-Out menu lol) but what I came up with came pretty close to my admittedly very vague memories. It was super delicious. 

Maybe your body just has something going on and its like excuse me I need sleep. I get so thrown off when sleep gets messed up. 

The resolution of my mysterious sleep schedule story is that I went to bed properly last night, woke up feeling normal, checked my phone and accidentally pulled up PoGo which told me a rare pokemon I don't yet have was nearby, so I rushed to get dressed and go collecting. I ended up being too late (next time, Miltank!) but I caught two other new mons and came home feeling energetic enough to do all my accumulated dishes and clean the kitchen table before cooking lunch and heading to work... where I got my period. So that's why. I'm off bc while I try to manage some hormone issues and I always have really weird reactions to my periods au natural (hence the usual bc). I'll double down on iron and copper and plan to rest over the weekend, and should pull through ok. 

21 hours ago, Rookie said:

You don't understand how much I love this (or maybe you do? :O)

I think I do. I'll let you know what I come up with. I test-drew an octopus and it looks pretty good... the Daiso paper came five sheets to a roll, so I'm thinking of doing an ocean critter series. If I do octopus, jellyfish, and angler fish, that leaves two slots. I'll keep thinking about it. I also grabbed a canvas, even though it was small, and I think I'll do something abstract there. We'll see. 

21 hours ago, Rookie said:

I think you are a rebel... and rebels use paper not for their intended purpose 

6 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Also @Wobbegong, I've been using a daikon grater for garlic for years and the Daiso police still haven't caught me, I think you'll be fine ;)

You've set me at ease. Also I can use my stupid daikon grater for garlic. What an idea. I suppose next you'll tell me I can use it for ginger, too. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

You've set me at ease. Also I can use my stupid daikon grater for garlic. What an idea. I suppose next you'll tell me I can use it for ginger, too. 

I mean, you've already gone rogue with the paper, you might as well go all the way ;)

I'll try not to gloat about the superiority of metric when it comes to small measurements. Also weight is a totally normal way of describing paper. Have fun with your art project!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

If I do octopus, jellyfish, and angler fish, that leaves two slots. I'll keep thinking about it. I also grabbed a canvas, even though it was small, and I think I'll do something abstract there. We'll see. 

With that series, I wonder about a starfish too... I don't know why but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Can't wait to see! Yay art!

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 5:34 AM, Wobbegong said:

It's listed perfectly reasonably IN MM. 58.5 x 78.8cm? Noooooooo. 585 x 788mm. The thickness is labeled as 0.13mm, so at least that's consistent (in the imperial conversion it's listed as 0.005in, which is fine I guess... we usually use fractions for sizes smaller than one inch, but I don't think we usually go down to "one two-hundredth of an inch" lol). For the record, the English translation of this weight (I call the thickness of the paper its weight, is that normal?) is "Most Thick Thickness." 

I just love everything about the label on this paper lol. 

Bahahaha 585x788 mm gosh. I think thickness of paper is normal... Or paper weight. 

Someone posted about making some in r/ketorecipes and I was like "you know I have most of what's needed to approximate that..." It comes out to ketchup, mayo, pickle relish, garlic, salt/pepper, and the recipe poster used a couple other sauces (steak, worcestershire, I didn't pay close attention) which I didn't have, so I subbed in a touch of oyster sauce and some paprika and cumin. It's In-n-Out's signature sauce so the official recipe is top secret (actually it's so secret it's not even on the official In-n-Out menu lol) but what I came up with came pretty close to my admittedly very vague memories. It was super delicious. 

Sounds yummmmeh. your version sounds like my current burger sauce I bought. 

The resolution of my mysterious sleep schedule story is that I went to bed properly last night, woke up feeling normal, checked my phone and accidentally pulled up PoGo which told me a rare pokemon I don't yet have was nearby, so I rushed to get dressed and go collecting. I ended up being too late (next time, Miltank!) but I caught two other new mons and came home feeling energetic enough to do all my accumulated dishes and clean the kitchen table before cooking lunch and heading to work... where I got my period. So that's why. I'm off bc while I try to manage some hormone issues and I always have really weird reactions to my periods au natural (hence the usual bc). I'll double down on iron and copper and plan to rest over the weekend, and should pull through ok. 

Well everything sounded really awesome and energizing before the period. How are you feeling today?

22 hours ago, J3NN said:

With that series, I wonder about a starfish too... I don't know why but that's the first thing that came to mind.

I think I do. I'll let you know what I come up with. I test-drew an octopus and it looks pretty good... the Daiso paper came five sheets to a roll, so I'm thinking of doing an ocean critter series. If I do octopus, jellyfish, and angler fish, that leaves two slots. I'll keep thinking about it. I also grabbed a canvas, even though it was small, and I think I'll do something abstract there. We'll see. 

I love this idea <3 Can't wait to see what you end up with.  Same as J3NN about the starfish... well first it was a sea urchin but then I realized that might not be as fun lol.  Sea turtle? Puffer fish... Sea horse.

Image result for mind blown gif

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I love this idea <3 Can't wait to see what you end up with.  Same as J3NN about the starfish... well first it was a sea urchin but then I realized that might not be as fun lol.  Sea turtle? Puffer fish... Sea horse.

Ooh, yes, a sea horse and turtle could be awesome too. You'll have no problem filling out this series!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J3NN said:

Ooh, yes, a sea horse and turtle could be awesome too. You'll have no problem filling out this series!

Image result for thinking gif

In fact.. might need more paper.

• Like 3