• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Wobbegong: A Creature of Habit

Recommended Posts

Oh wait... we could do a joint art project and each do one panel and then we could magically share them all. I'm not sure how this will work yet, but we'll put our brains together and figure it out. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rookie said:

Well everything sounded really awesome and energizing before the period. How are you feeling today?

I'm ok. Good energy and sleep, kind of blah mentally. Feeling like a crime scene off bc though. It's been so long I had kind of forgotten how much endometrium I shed. 

 

It makes me feel very fertile, which of course then makes me feel kind of annoyed that I spend all these monthly resources on preparing my body for a child I'll never have. 

 

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

I love this idea <3 Can't wait to see what you end up with.  Same as J3NN about the starfish... well first it was a sea urchin but then I realized that might not be as fun lol.  Sea turtle? Puffer fish... Sea horse.

 

8 hours ago, J3NN said:

Oh wait... we could do a joint art project and each do one panel and then we could magically share them all. I'm not sure how this will work yet, but we'll put our brains together and figure it out. :)

I'm calling dibs on the sea urchin idea. Still debating panel #5, but I've definitely got time before I have to decide. Getting a little hung up on backgrounds, but I'll come up with something. I did do that abstract on the canvas I was thinking of... not sure if I ended up ruining it with the final detailing or not, but it's ok. I'm actually pretty new to painting, though, so I can at least say I learned a lot from the experiment. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, J3NN said:

Pics?

 

The finished product that I may or may not have ruined:

RoNrcCW.jpg

 

This is what it looked like before I added the gold: 

HZgX6b8.jpg

 

There's no way to tell from these, but it looks amazing in the morning light. Kind of glowy. I just added the gold this morning (paint was too wet last night) so I haven't seen the finished version like that. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

 

The finished product that I may or may not have ruined:

 

There's no way to tell from these, but it looks amazing in the morning light. Kind of glowy. I just added the gold this morning (paint was too wet last night) so I haven't seen the finished version like that. 

I don't think you ruined it at all. It needed a little something something. Looks great! And I love that it glows in the morning

 

16 hours ago, J3NN said:

Oh wait... we could do a joint art project and each do one panel and then we could magically share them all. I'm not sure how this will work yet, but we'll put our brains together and figure it out. :)

Ohhhhh that'd be fun!!! NF group art project lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I don't think you ruined it at all. It needed a little something something. Looks great! And I love that it glows in the morning

Thanks. I don't usually paint abstract (not that I paint much at all, honestly) so I'm not sure if there's a way you're "supposed" to do it, and I hate when artists try to dictate meaning with abstract pieces (the viewer gets to decide what the art means to them; if the artist wanted their intentions to be obvious, they should've painted something less abstract) but lately I've been thinking about Tacoma, where I went to school. I want to move back there after Japan. That's the inspiration for this piece. Most people who live there don't know this, but in spring sunrises have this color scheme. There's a very brief moment every morning, maybe only two minutes or so, when the sun is above the horizon but still below the perma-clouds, and the colors are phenomenal. 

 

24 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Ohhhhh that'd be fun!!! NF group art project lol

I'm in! Let's do it! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J3NN said:

I'll just leave this here

 

 

Whaaaaaaat. Blanket octopus, I had no idea! 

 

My response offering: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the grocery store this evening, I was bagging up my purchases when a little old lady came over and stared at me for a while without saying anything, then peered into my basket, then resumed staring. There I was, tired all day and frustratedly thinking "Why are these people so nosy? Can't they just let me eat what I want to eat? Am I some kind of circus freak?!" 

 

I greeted her rather aggressively in my displeasure, and she responded cheerfully. Then she wandered off. Then as I grabbed my bags she came back, and paced me as I headed out. As we were about to walk past someone familiar, she stopped us... 

 

It turned out she was my coworker's mom and my neighbor and wanted to give me a ride home in the torrential rain. So... shame on me for being a grouch, and thanks for being nosy, lady. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

At the grocery store this evening, I was bagging up my purchases when a little old lady came over and stared at me for a while without saying anything, then peered into my basket, then resumed staring. There I was, tired all day and frustratedly thinking "Why are these people so nosy? Can't they just let me eat what I want to eat? Am I some kind of circus freak?!" 

 

I greeted her rather aggressively in my displeasure, and she responded cheerfully. Then she wandered off. Then as I grabbed my bags she came back, and paced me as I headed out. As we were about to walk past someone familiar, she stopped us... 

 

It turned out she was my coworker's mom and my neighbor and wanted to give me a ride home in the torrential rain. So... shame on me for being a grouch, and thanks for being nosy, lady. 

Eek. I guess that was the universe reminding you that not all nosy people are being judgy. That was super nice of her. I feel she could of stated her intent instead of just staring at you hahaha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been pretty bad about updating here lately and I definitely haven't been visiting anyone else on NF either, so... sorry everyone. I'm trying to be better. I am making progress with CC, and my food and move goals are going strong, but the majority of the rest of my time has been spent planning my return home. 

 

Which just reminded me that I have a call with my parents scheduled for Sunday. Including my mother. Fabulous. 

 

One of the things I'm trying to figure before I go home is how I can maximize my time away from her. Theoretically she hasn't retired yet but she has a few months of vacation saved up (her rollover never expires or gets paid out; apparently she can add it to her "time worked" for pension purposes when she retires) and she's retiring officially like two days after I return to Japan, so I'm slightly concerned she'll be in 'fuck it' mode and ditch work to hang out with me. 

 

For many people that probably wouldn't be an issue, but my mom's idea of a nice day spent hanging out with her kids is getting day drunk and watching Netflix while we remain in her proximity, but don't speak to her. So I'm trying to plan to be busy and out of the house as much as possible while I'm home. And also trying not to get stressed out about it. Ugh. 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 6:08 AM, Wobbegong said:
Quote

Ohhhhh that'd be fun!!! NF group art project lol

I'm in! Let's do it! 

Sorry I totally bailed team! I guess near pneumonia has a way of knocking you out that I was not prepared for. But I'm back now! I think we should definitely do this. We can just set some simple parameters, and set a time frame and go for it what do you think?

 

Ideas for parameters:

Theme: Ocean life, we already did that :)

Size: do you like the panel size you're working with there, or should we pick a different size

Medium: completely open

Color scheme: same

Basically everything else is up to the artist except we should have a time-frame.

So what's a realistic time-frame, especially with everyone's normal challenges and commitments... do we want to put this in the next challenge?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, J3NN said:

Sorry I totally bailed team! I guess near pneumonia has a way of knocking you out that I was not prepared for. But I'm back now! I think we should definitely do this. We can just set some simple parameters, and set a time frame and go for it what do you think?

 

Ideas for parameters:

Theme: Ocean life, we already did that :)

Size: do you like the panel size you're working with there, or should we pick a different size

Medium: completely open

Color scheme: same

Basically everything else is up to the artist except we should have a time-frame.

So what's a realistic time-frame, especially with everyone's normal challenges and commitments... do we want to put this in the next challenge?

Yeess let's do it!  

 

It sounds like Wobbegong might be busy soon with going back home so I think we should follow her schedule for the time frame. Next challenge works too because it's right around the corner

 

 

====

Wobbegong, hopefully you can make it work so you get to keep some distance between you and your mom. That sounds so stressful

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If I had to deal with what you're going to have to deal with when you go home I'd have a hard time being on here and posting too. Here to cheerlead as you set those boundaries and strengthen them.

Thanks. I still often feel like it's ridiculous to have this kind of tension, and like no one wants to hear it or it's not a good reason to be stressed. It's extra frustrating because with an ocean between us I feel so much more myself, stronger and healthier and like recovery isn't impossible, but then as soon as I interact with her I realize I haven't built up any resilience at all. 

 

I basically just start every interaction with her already being out of patience with her, but if I lash out she just gets worse. Staying away is much more preferable, but not always possible. And I don't know how to create more patience or tolerance for her, or how to react to her to maintain my boundaries without pushing back too hard. It's tough. 

 

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

Wobbegong, hopefully you can make it work so you get to keep some distance between you and your mom. That sounds so stressful

I'm going to spend the majority of my time shopping/eating, hanging out with friends, and hiking, but I'm still expecting to spend some time with her every day. I just finished our Skype chat and she was a mess. Started out super happy that I'm coming home and that she's retiring in just over a week, and then got really defensive and grouchy when I asked what she's planning to do after she retires (answer: sleep in, be a couch potato, consider knee rehab, and possibly work on house renovations although "I was hoping your father would just take care of it..."), then happy again, defensive again, a whole range of oddly performative emotions, and finally just got tired of chatting and ended the call. Her max allotment of Wobbegong time is one hour, after which she's Done. But at least she wasn't drunk, so small favors, right??? 

 

12 hours ago, Rookie said:
On 6/15/2019 at 6:17 AM, J3NN said:

Sorry I totally bailed team! I guess near pneumonia has a way of knocking you out that I was not prepared for. But I'm back now! I think we should definitely do this. We can just set some simple parameters, and set a time frame and go for it what do you think?

 

Ideas for parameters:

Theme: Ocean life, we already did that :)

Size: do you like the panel size you're working with there, or should we pick a different size

Medium: completely open

Color scheme: same

Basically everything else is up to the artist except we should have a time-frame.

So what's a realistic time-frame, especially with everyone's normal challenges and commitments... do we want to put this in the next challenge?

Yeess let's do it!  

 

It sounds like Wobbegong might be busy soon with going back home so I think we should follow her schedule for the time frame. Next challenge works too because it's right around the corner

 

I'm in! There will be no arting while I'm in the States, so maybe we should do next challenge? I can make it a guild-wide thing and invite everyone if we'd like. We can use the parameters as suggested by J3NN and use the challenge framework to set out some deadlines (think about what you want to make, prepare materials, get started, etc). I'm still running behind when it comes to putting minis together, but an art challenge shouldn't be too much trouble. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Thanks. I still often feel like it's ridiculous to have this kind of tension, and like no one wants to hear it or it's not a good reason to be stressed. It's extra frustrating because with an ocean between us I feel so much more myself, stronger and healthier and like recovery isn't impossible, but then as soon as I interact with her I realize I haven't built up any resilience at all. 

I don't think it's a you issue though. It's like willpower. You have great willpower when the "thing" isn't around. Maybe the first time you come into contact with it.. you have good willpower but are glad the time being in the danger zone was short and easy to distance yourself with. The next time someone just puts a big ol' plate of the thing right by your desk. Willpower gone. It's not that the person hadn't built up resilience it's that they weren't ready for being exposed to the "thing" at such an intensity level. It's a muscle. And I'm sure it's hard for you to learn and practice at a more intense level because it's either you are super far away or you are right there with her seeing her everyday and interacting everyday. 

 

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I basically just start every interaction with her already being out of patience with her, but if I lash out she just gets worse. Staying away is much more preferable, but not always possible. And I don't know how to create more patience or tolerance for her, or how to react to her to maintain my boundaries without pushing back too hard. It's tough. 

That part is a you thing. I get like this sometimes with my mom and I have to remind myself to take a breath and clear my mind. It's unfair to place expectations on her before we even meet. Our mothers are years apart in habits and personality. I'm not sure how to really advise you for growing your tolerance because that's where our mothers differ. I do like spending time with mine. She just gets a bit ridiculous sometimes. I guess what I've done if I notice every little thing she does is annoy me it's try to do small interactions. Cup of tea together... Once tea is done I just leave, phone call (with a time limit before she starts getting ridiculous), or I'll give her a task of we are at the barn and there's no limit (here groom my horse). 

 

 

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm going to spend the majority of my time shopping/eating, hanging out with friends, and hiking, but I'm still expecting to spend some time with her every day. I just finished our Skype chat and she was a mess. Started out super happy that I'm coming home and that she's retiring in just over a week, and then got really defensive and grouchy when I asked what she's planning to do after she retires (answer: sleep in, be a couch potato, consider knee rehab, and possibly work on house renovations although "I was hoping your father would just take care of it..."), then happy again, defensive again, a whole range of oddly performative emotions, and finally just got tired of chatting and ended the call. Her max allotment of Wobbegong time is one hour, after which she's Done. But at least she wasn't drunk, so small favors, right??? 

The hang outs is nice. She just sounds like too much effort. A huge emotional energy suck. I feel not drunk should be the default though. 

 

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

 

I'm in! There will be no arting while I'm in the States, so maybe we should do next challenge? I can make it a guild-wide thing and invite everyone if we'd like. We can use the parameters as suggested by J3NN and use the challenge framework to set out some deadlines (think about what you want to make, prepare materials, get started, etc). I'm still running behind when it comes to putting minis together, but an art challenge shouldn't be too much trouble. 

This sounds great!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother wants to wear a white dress to the wedding. 

 

It has polka dots on it, so she's claiming that makes it a "patterned" dress and not a "white" dress. It's a white dress with sparse black dots. How is that not still a white dress?

 

Someone please tell me, when was the last time a bride said "Yeah, she wore a white dress to my wedding, but it had some black dots on it so I guess it was ok." 

Seriously, is it more important to my mother to be right about the pattern debate, or more important that she not force her beloved niece to make concession on her goddamn wedding day?! It's not like she doesn't own any other dresses! 

 

My sister has also been doing battle in this arena and texted me to say "She said she's not even sure [our cousin]'s dress is white. It might be ivory. Then it's a non-issue." I responded that this is why the entire white-ivory-cream-bone family is just off limits. My sister is in agreement. 

 

AHHHHHHH

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow yep you're right, that whole spectrum of colour is off-limits! If you can call it a white dress with black spots and not a black dress with white spots, just don't do it. Even if the bride is really chill, other guests might not be. But be prepared to lose this battle, and even if you do she'll be the one who's embarrassed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Wow yep you're right, that whole spectrum of colour is off-limits! If you can call it a white dress with black spots and not a black dress with white spots, just don't do it. Even if the bride is really chill, other guests might not be. But be prepared to lose this battle, and even if you do she'll be the one who's embarrassed.

In the end she wore a grey dress, thankfully. She was very resentful about it, but I'm fine with taking that hit to spare the bride. Honestly, wtf Mom. Otherwise it was a pretty great visit. 

 

I'm home now, kind of exhausted and definitely not challenge-minded, but back. New challenge, here we go! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

In the end she wore a grey dress, thankfully. She was very resentful about it, but I'm fine with taking that hit to spare the bride. Honestly, wtf Mom. Otherwise it was a pretty great visit. 

 

I'm home now, kind of exhausted and definitely not challenge-minded, but back. New challenge, here we go! 

Phew, good save! Hope you had a great time, see you in the next challenge :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now