• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sloth the Enduring

[Sloth] Eat Pizza, Be Awesome, Repeat

On 5/30/2019 at 11:44 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

paramecium Thursday was a bust.  

Next year we can have "sea anemone Tuesday"...just remind me :-)

On 5/29/2019 at 11:35 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I started a waffle list list based on getting stuff done to finish the school year on time

Maybe getting derailed to teach the class (which isn't your fault or choice) should somehow still count toward the goal? As you might imagine, I am very in favor of the waffle list.

Glad the kids didn't have to sit and wait for a long time for the bus, even though it took away your riding time. And sorry about the blisters on the lip. Ouch! Hopefully the last two days won't be too bad. Over quickly and you can have a well deserved break!

Love seeing all the pics coming by in my timeline! Keep it up seems like things are pretty good ATM.

Well i did pizza a lot yesterday, so today it's time for awesome! Well sounds simple let's do it!

On 6/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, Cheetah said:

To which I would reply, "I've been thinking about getting the place declared a nature preserve.  We could trench a moat around the perimeter and plant cat tails and this whole place will become protected wetlands."

I would pay Sloth $100 to say this to MIL with a straight face

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 11:42 AM, Shello said:

Now that's how you speak Minnesotan.

Despite being from the east coast she's a master of throwing Minnesota shade.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:25 PM, Cheetah said:

To which I would reply, "I've been thinking about getting the place declared a nature preserve.  We could trench a moat around the perimeter and plant cat tails and this whole place will become protected wetlands."

She doesn't say that kind of thing to me any more, just the Mrs. Sloth (and the rest of the extended family).

On 6/4/2019 at 8:11 PM, Xena said:

Next year we can have "sea anemone Tuesday"...just remind me :-)

Maybe getting derailed to teach the class (which isn't your fault or choice) should somehow still count toward the goal? As you might imagine, I am very in favor of the waffle list.

Hah.  Sea Anemone Tuesday would be awesome.  I think you were on a boat when I was planning out spring quarter and ordering critters.

It wasn't so much that I was getting derailled, it was that I just didn't have a block of time where I could leave the building for a quiet lunch.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:51 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Glad the kids didn't have to sit and wait for a long time for the bus, even though it took away your riding time. And sorry about the blisters on the lip. Ouch! Hopefully the last two days won't be too bad. Over quickly and you can have a well deserved break!

Thanks, they were ok.  I have a couple of friends at their school that could have taken them if there was a real emergency.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:50 AM, KB Girl said:

Ouch :x hope the lip gets better fast. 

Thanks.  It healed amazingly fast.  The next morning the blister fell off when I brushed my teeth, I had a scab for a day or so and then it was all better.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:09 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Love seeing all the pics coming by in my timeline! Keep it up seems like things are pretty good ATM.

Well i did pizza a lot yesterday, so today it's time for awesome! Well sounds simple let's do it!

Thanks.  Early summer in Minnesota is great.

I'm glad you had some pizza and I hope the awesome was truly awesome.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Cheetah said:

I hope you're having a great week!

Thanks for checking in on me.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, Xena said:

image.png.400b898b66aee7913e7ddb0ba3d8814c.png

LOL.  

4 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I would pay Sloth $100 to say this to MIL with a straight face

Thats the thing.  I started staying stupid things like that back to her because I just couldn't give a shit any more and she stopped saying snarky things to me.  Which is really weird because  she says, "I can't help it; I don't mean anything by it; it's just how I am."

• Like 3

Man, it's been a while since I've been here.  The end of the school year really ties me up.

According to Strava:

June 5 - 28 miles.  I rode at a pretty good clip out to the suburbs to get new pond water.

June 11 - 14 miles - easy pace.  Was sick (prolly too much cheesy pizza)

June 12 - 10 miles - limited time.

June 13 - 10 miles - limited time.

That is not much miles.  I am going to die when I finally start racing again.  Somewhere in there I did a yoga session for the PVP that I never got around to officially signing up for.

The eating whatever the heck I want (pizza and tacos) is going well, mostly.  I have finally stopped gaining weight and have started to drop some of the weight, however the gut fairies are getting their revenge on me.  

Friday June 7 was supposed to be the last day of school, but we were one of a couple schools that had to make up snow days.  We still treated the Friday as the last day since a lot of students had summer plans that started on the following Monday.

I'll try not to rant.  We haven't had a math teacher for all of spring quarter; once I finished the standardized testing about all they did all quarter was "math games" which the students told the various subs they had loaded on their phones.  We're a performing arts school and after the last concert the arts teachers quit teaching - their excuse is that they have to inventory all of their instruments.  I can't imaging any of this happening at a different school.  Like a chump I tried to keep teaching until that last Thursday.  The advanced math teacher didn't show up and the kids automatically started to come to my room, but they were short stopped by my teammate who said, "Oh, Hell no." (in a school appropriate manner.) and marched them down to the principal's office and dropped them off.  We should have done that weeks ago.

I tried teaching for about an hour too long.  My last hour on Thursday had spent the whole day playing games and watching movies, by the time they got to me they were bonkers.  

The last Friday was good.  We had a "block party" in the science hallway which included a quiet crafts room and a Lego alcove.  Another teacher used my room to make memory books and every time I stopped by to check on things a couple was making out.  Ugh.  Eventually I split up the various couples into different rooms.  The snow days were pretty quiet.  About half of the students showed up.  I brought in some games and a bunch of play-dough and they entertained themselves nicely. 

Wednesday and Thursday I finished my paperwork and packed up my room.  I haven't signed up for anything yet, but it's time to renew my license so I'll have to figure out what classes I still need and get my learning on.  

Saturday, June 8, was Slothboy's birthday.  Cleaning the house and yard beforehand took a lot of time.  We were going to take him and his friends to a trampoline park, but the cost of an hour of jumping and their pizza was about the cost of buying a basic trampoline.  So now we own a trampoline.  His party was good.  This year I laid out the rules ahead of time and we didn't have any issues.

Today, Thursday June 13, I went to my nephew's high school graduation.  He didn't think his dad would go so he asked me if I wanted his tickets.  Which is when his dad decided he wanted to go and had a fit at the principal's office to get his own tickets.  At dinner beforehand I met my sister's new boyfriend and found out they were getting married July 6.  I was invited, but we have hotel reservations and tickets to a blue grass festival that weekend - we're all going with step-sloth and his girlfriend (partner? spousal equivalent?).  I'm not sure what we'll do about that.  We did get talked into going to new boyfriend's house for Father's Day.  He seems like a nice enough guy, but I don't trust guys who need someone that they can take care of, it never seems to go well in the long run.

I probably don't need to spell this out, but the subtext here is that my family is nuts.  Both sides.  I feel like I'm the only sane one around, but I bet all crazy people feel that way.

• Like 9

Hope you have a nice summer vacation. You've earned it!

Are yo taking votes for which event to attend? :friendly_wink:My vote- go with your son.  You already booked the trip. You can send a gift and congratulations, but  last minute wedding announcements don't require you to change plans

• Like 4

It was nice that your nephew wanted you at his graduation and that you were willing to step up and go. Craziness aside.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:10 AM, Elastigirl said:

Hope you have a nice summer vacation. You've earned it!

Are yo taking votes for which event to attend? :friendly_wink:My vote- go with your son.  You already booked the trip. You can send a gift and congratulations, but  last minute wedding announcements don't require you to change plans

I think you're right.  I'm pretty wary about the whole deal anyway.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, Xena said:

It was nice that your nephew wanted you at his graduation and that you were willing to step up and go. Craziness aside.

Thanks.  He invited his uncle and aunt on his dad's side too. They're also the sane ones in that family.  but they backed out when the dad decided to show up because he's suing them over their parent's estate and it isn't going well.

• Like 2

Friday June 14.  

This was my first day of summer and it went well.  I slept in 'til 10, which is a few hours longer than usual.  Before I got up I spent some time being grateful that I'm allowed to have this time off.  I am very aware that most Americans are not allowed a sane work/ life balance.  I ticked a few things off the punch list, sat around for a while drinking coffee and following the news, and in the evening I went to a friend's BDay party.  At the party I re-met an older lady who had some fascinating stories - her family had to flee Luxembourg during the occupation.

I did a 35 mile ride which included my benchmark hill.  According to Strava it wasn't my slowest time up, but it was close.  This was expected, but still disappointing, considering how few miles I have in my legs and that I'm 20# / 1 stone 6 / 9kg heavier than last July.  Disappointment aside, it was a good hard ride.

Saturday June 15

Friday a friend dropped off two pugs to dogsit for the weekend, they had a booth at a local festival and wouldn't be around and another friend dropped off a dog for us to dogsit for a week.  We had five dogs all weekend.  It was crazy.  

I brought Slothboy to his last ballet class.  He likes dance and is good at it, but he has hit that age where he's embarrassed to be a ballerano.  When he's 10 there's an all boy group he can join if we can get him to try it again.  

A local craft distillery had an educator event with free pulled pork sandwiches and free drinks for teachers.  I can't afford to go there normally, but I can see how they are able to command a high price for their consumables; they were very good.  That did me in for the day.

I went on a ride in the morning.  I was hoping to beat the rain, but I got hit anyway.  I only did 20 miles, but it was a hard 20.  The sun came out after I was done riding.

Sunday June 16

Father's Day.  We all slept in and then walked to the neighborhood cafe.  For presents Slothgirl made me a light-up dragon diorama, Slothboy painted a mug, and Mrs. Sloth bought a bike-specific torque wrench.  After chilling at home as long as we could we went to my sister's and her new boyfriend/ fiance's.  He lives on a lake on the edge of outer-ring suburbs (former small town that was enveloped).  He has a nice place.  We went fishing, went on a pontoon ride where we saw otters and woodchucks, and we threw axes at a target.  Slothboy loved that, he did it for a good hour at least.  All-in-all a good day even if I didn't get a chance to fitness.

The fiance actually does seem like a good guy.  He's an electrical contractor, but during the recession he worked as a hair dresser.  Mrs. Sloth thinks he's ok, but I just can't bring myself to trust the situation.

The trails have finally dried out enough to ride them; I hope to mountain bike tomorrow.  Also, every morning I put yoga on my to-do list, but I haven't managed to do it yet.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Friday a friend dropped off two pugs to dogsit for the weekend,

image.png.0d58a14e7c31887fc65900efa8e541b6.png

I brought Slothboy to his last ballet class.  He likes dance and is good at it, but he has hit that age where he's embarrassed to be a ballerano.  When he's 10 there's an all boy group he can join if we can get him to try it again.

Our neighbour's one son has started ballet classes this year. He is now 9yrs old. He is the only boy, but enjoying it. Wish the two could get together, it would bolster both I think.

Father's Day.

Happy Father's Day! Glad you had a good day with your family, and your sister and her boyfriend. Hope things work out for the best for your sister. Your instincts seem to normally be on point though.

I'm so happy it's summer vacation time for you. You do indeed seem to be fully appreciating it!

On 6/17/2019 at 2:40 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

image.png.0d58a14e7c31887fc65900efa8e541b6.png

Our neighbour's one son has started ballet classes this year. He is now 9yrs old. He is the only boy, but enjoying it. Wish the two could get together, it would bolster both I think.

Happy Father's Day! Glad you had a good day with your family, and your sister and her boyfriend. Hope things work out for the best for your sister. Your instincts seem to normally be on point though.

Pugs are my favorite, but they shed too much and Slothboy is allergic.  Yah, Slothboy needs a buddy in his class and he’d be fine with it. 

Thanks :) it’s not so much instinct as pattern recognition and a belief in reversion to the mean.  

On 6/17/2019 at 5:49 AM, Xena said:

I'm so happy it's summer vacation time for you. You do indeed seem to be fully appreciating it!

On 6/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer as much as the start.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Enjoy your summer!

Thanks all. Summer is the best.  Not being quite as insane as I have been after the last few school years, I’m really able to enjoy it.   

• Like 3

I still haven’t yogaed. 

Monday June 17.  

The kids are really busy with circus, dance, and swimming.  Mrs. Sloth has done a lot of the running around, but our life has been busy.  The kids had friends over all day and a friend joined us for dinner on the patio.

i repaired the patio furniture, finished upgrading the mountain bike, did some laundry.  

I went mountain biking.  It was only nine miles, but I spent time dialing in my fit.  My front end is longer, lower, and wider this year and it took a bit to get it adjusted just right.  

Tuesday June 18

Remember the raggedy, old blind dog?  We still have her.  She isn’t raggedy any more and she seems to be seeing things now, light for sure, walls and other big obstacles.  She is also no longer anxiety ridden.  She is, however, still old.  Today I took her to a specialty clinic for an eye tuck.  The operation was to keep her eyelashes from scraping on her cornea.   

I don’t remember ticking anything off the punch list.  

We went out for pizza.  If there are still any locals around, Moon Palace Books on Hiawatha has great pizza.   It’s fancy pizza though, watch out for anchovies.

I went mountain biking - 15 miles.  Strava says I’ve been slower, but not by much.  If I can lose some weight I think I’ll be able to improve pretty quickly.  I really like the new setup, besides being more comfortable handling has improved greatly.  

The nice thing about riding early is that every one else is at work and you never see anyone except at the trailhead.  

I figured out one simple trick trick to save a lot of money, don’t buy tacos and burritos after every mountain bike ride.  I still have to decide if life is worth living like this.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I figured out one simple trick trick to save a lot of money, don’t buy tacos and burritos after every mountain bike ride.  I still have to decide if life is worth living like this.  

I can't imagine it would be 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Remember the raggedy, old blind dog?  

Yes! Happy she has recovered from her raggedy-ness.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

figured out one simple trick trick to save a lot of money, don’t buy tacos and burritos after every mountain bike ride.  I still have to decide if life is worth living like this.

No. 

Good ride in the rain today, my man. Rule #5. You’re living it. 

• Like 1