• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

giphy.gif

If you haven't followed my threads before, I am Brogo.

I'm usually back and forth between the Warrior and Adventurer guilds. I typically try to lift like a warrior, but mostly I just eat like a warrior. That should stand out as indication that I'm overweight, and the bulk (pun intended) of my fitness journey has been failed attempts at weight loss. Lately, tho, I don't care about gainz. I'm really prioritizing my weight loss over everything else fitness wise. So I wandered back in here.

I'm currently 257 lbs. I want to get to one-der-land. Just get me to 199 lbs.  How am I going to lose this weight?

I'm also seriously considering (another) career change to data science. I'll be (re-) teaching myself to code and learn data science methodologies through a courser certificate, and self-study using python 3 and anaconda 3 (hence the challenge title).

Spoilered longwinded details...

Keto -- I decided to give keto another shot. I've tried to stick to it a couple times in the past. It's not super hard to do by itself, but my living/social situations in the past tended to get me derailed. Now I'm living by myself and my social life (if we can call it that) doesn't revolve around drinking beer. I'm also not actively lifting and trying to get gainz, so there's no need to fuck around with carb cycling. I can stick to a simple ketogenic diet, and frankly there isn't really anyone in my way except me.

I've been in a ketogenic state for 2+ weeks. Before the start of it I weighed 268 lbs. I was pretty bloated. I decided to go all in and kicked it off with a 3-day fast. I started monitoring my ketogenesis with urinalysis test strips. I was in keto between 24-30 hours of fasting. I stuck it out another 36 hours, and at the end of that I weighed about 258 lbs. So after a short fast, I dropped 10 lbs of junk weight (water, glycogen, salts, poop, etc.) and was in ketogenesis. As tough as fasting was, I at least got to skip having the extended keto flu.

Over the last two weeks, I've been tracking my weight, including a seven day rolling average. The rolling average shows I've lost about 2 lbs. total. If I keep this up I should be able to hit my goal about a year from now. The catch is how to maintain keto for a whole year. Inevitably I'll get derailed. But now I have the cheat code. Fasting. If I wind up eating some carbs somehow, I can fast my way back into ketogenesis. It doesn't have to be 3-days, just 24-30 hours should do it.

Running? -- I went for a run last weekend. 1.88 miles. I did not die... well, a little inside, like emotionally, but mostly I'm okay. It might have actually helped me healthwise. I should probably try to do this more. So... Running?

I've been wanting to do C25K. Well, the issue with keto and being in a caloric deficit, you can't really push yourself too much. Because you don't have the resources to improve, to build muscle and recover takes more time. So I'm just going to strive to move more, and incorporate running into it here and there.

Another issue... I really need to work 45+ hours a week to pay my bills, and better yet 50+ hours to have some room to breathe financially. This really subtracts from my available time/energy to run/exercise during the week. But, working for two extra hours is at least being engaged in activities that aren't sitting down stuffing my face. So I'm going to strike a balance between work and exercise during the week.

Cooking: So my version of keto has been super restrictive. I've been doing this with pescatarian restrictions. So not meat or poultry, and no dairy. Sounds insane, but it's working. I have a long term plan to relax restrictions as I make some progress to help keep me going. At the end of last week I was getting bored with my meals a bit, and that makes me want to backslide or relax some constraints or have a cheat meal. Instead, I'm going to try new ingredients and/or recipes and see if I can make this diet more interesting. Basically, get creative within the constraints I"m putting on myself. Also, batch cooking is key to keeping in line during the week.

Plus, I had an insight during last challenge. I'm always including creative pursuits as challenge goals because I am always looking for a creative outlet. But I haven't really tried cooking as a creative pursuit. I'm always trying to put more time into painting or playing guitar, but I never seem to have time to really invest in it. But, I cook at least one meal a day. Usually two, and on weekends three. I always find time to cook, why not try just as hard to improve my cooking.

Data: I'm pondering/planning another career move from machinist to data scientist. I've started a Data Science certificate on Coursera. Combined with my Master's Degree in Genetics and the experience gained programming and performing statistical analysis (I was a population/computational geneticist) I should have little trouble doing well in the field. I've been thinking about this as a career for a while, but I've been on the fence because after the disaster that was graduate school (my Master's is basically a consolation prize for not finishing a PhD) I was/am not sure I want to go back to that type of work. I've got five classes to go for my certificate. I finished 4 in the last week, but they were the easy ones. The last one took some effort... more accurately, the last assignment was frustrating and hastily/lazily put together by the instructors. But I've got five more to go. Then I'll decide. Or, I might talk to my current boss and see if I can create some opportunities in data analysis at my current company.

Goal 1, Keto:

-> Maintain keto via a standard ketogenic diet (minimal carbs, no TKD or CKD)

-> If ketogenesis gets interrupted, fast for 24-30 hours.

Goal 2, Cooking:

-> Keep current dietary restrictions (no meat, poultry, or dairy) until the end of the challenge.

-> Buy at least one new ingredient each week, or try one new recipe.

Goal 3, Running?:

-> Go on a run once every weekend.

-> Hit 6000 steps/day on my fitness tracker or lift weights.

-> If I work <9 hours in a day, go for a run.

Goal 4, Data:

-> Continue work on Data Science Certificate on Courser:a by the end of challenge complete 4 courses.

-> Practice and learn Python 3 (programming language) and Anaconda 3 (scientific, data analysis packages for python)

• Like 8

I rarely venture out of the warrior cave but I'm going to use this opportunity of keeping up on your challenge to branch out and see how the adventurers do things. I'm very curious how your hardball approach will play out in the long term. You've got some determination, that's for sure, even if you do give yourself a hard time when it inevitably falters a bit. If it works for you though, awesome.

I'm also really interested in your progress with the data science stuff. Python will almost certainly be the next language I learn if I do decide to jump into something new. I'm very familiar with manipulating data visually but not quite as experienced with the analyzation part.

Good luck on the challenge!

• Like 1

Brogo's Back All-right!

Running and not dying is always a goal, so I'm glad to see that you'll be tracking. I'd hate to have to deal with the undead this year. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following

Encouraging

Smart Remarks

Gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 7:30 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It first formatted on my phone as
keto running and
Data cooking.

I’d follow for keto running, but I don’t want to encourage such a miserable pursuit.

Those are both things:

Keto Running

Data cooking

10 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I rarely venture out of the warrior cave but I'm going to use this opportunity of keeping up on your challenge to branch out and see how the adventurers do things. I'm very curious how your hardball approach will play out in the long term. You've got some determination, that's for sure, even if you do give yourself a hard time when it inevitably falters a bit. If it works for you though, awesome.

I'm also really interested in your progress with the data science stuff. Python will almost certainly be the next language I learn if I do decide to jump into something new. I'm very familiar with manipulating data visually but not quite as experienced with the analyzation part.

Good luck on the challenge!

This hardly feels like a hardball approach anymore. I'm doing things that are difficult or not enjoyable by a lot of people, but for me a ketogenic diet that's mostly plant based just feels right. Carbs cause a lot of moods swings in me, and though I like meat, when I'm not feeling well I gravitate toward vegetarian/pescatarian foods.

I'm dabbling with Python for about the 3rd or 4th time now. It seems like its in demand everywhere, and especially with data science (science in general) there's so much out there. I'd start learning a bit right away just for the hell of it.

What other languages do you know?

9 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Brogo's Back All-right!

Running and not dying is always a goal, so I'm glad to see that you'll be tracking. I'd hate to have to deal with the undead this year. 

Sadly, I read that first line in my head to the tune to...

th?id=OIP.cvoQY5_fvQ5WstJhxu_emQHaF8&pid

Now that's stuck in my head. THANKS FOR RUINING MY DAY SYLVAA!!!!

Just kidding. This song has been firmly stuck in my head for days now. And TBB can't compete.

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

Gif

giphy.gif

th?id=OIP.LfbYGiKjNnACab0WBVhaJAHaEB&pid

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also following. Especially since I’ve struggled similarly with the weight. I still eat like a wrestling coach/distance runner/lifter but I don’t always engage in the activity. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

This hardly feels like a hardball approach anymore.

Good point. I was mostly referring to all the fasting and schedule changes from your last challenge, but it looks like you've sorted those bits and are running pretty smoothly now. Explicit cardio on keto seems kinda hardball on the surface but I actually had a decent amount of success with running and cycling when I was on keto last year, just nothing really long distance. Just out of curiosity, do you have an overload plan for running? Run faster or run longer distances?

12 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

What other languages do you know?

Right now I live entirely in the front end, mostly writing javascript, minimal html/css. With how fast it moves, JS can easily be a career on its own. I have dabbled with back end stuff though, and while JS can do that too via node, frameworks and tools like django, flask, redis, all make python look really fast/convenient for easy servers and databases and stuff. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Now that's stuck in my head. THANKS FOR RUINING MY DAY SYLVAA!!!!

I totally did that on purpose specifically for that song. ;) 

• Like 2

Updated goals. Last night I wrote things out and organized them better. Just now I made a couple small tweaks.

19 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Also following. Especially since I’ve struggled similarly with the weight. I still eat like a wrestling coach/distance runner/lifter but I don’t always engage in the activity. 

Yup. I also need to teach myself that exercise is not an excuse to eat more for recovery when the goal is to lose weight. Hence, the current track I'm taking.

10 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Good point. I was mostly referring to all the fasting and schedule changes from your last challenge, but it looks like you've sorted those bits and are running pretty smoothly now. Explicit cardio on keto seems kinda hardball on the surface but I actually had a decent amount of success with running and cycling when I was on keto last year, just nothing really long distance. Just out of curiosity, do you have an overload plan for running? Run faster or run longer distances?

Right now I live entirely in the front end, mostly writing javascript, minimal html/css. With how fast it moves, JS can easily be a career on its own. I have dabbled with back end stuff though, and while JS can do that too via node, frameworks and tools like django, flask, redis, all make python look really fast/convenient for easy servers and databases and stuff. 

Okay, yeah. In the beginning it was definitely hardball time. I was think about this today, and at some point, I'll bet once I get down around 250, I'm gonna get weird cravings. It seems like every time I cross that threshold I start eating like crazy again and I rebound back up to 260. Then it'll be time for more hardball. But, sometimes a few short sprints of hardball are what's needed.

Any thoughts on going full stack with Ruby on Rails? I was thinking about going into web dev a couple years ago and that's what I was trying to get into. It just turned out I don't really like web dev... I'm a data monkey. I kinda wanna get back into learning that though so I can build apps for visualizations... but I ought to see what python has available first.

7 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Cooking is an often underrated mode of creative expression. Good luck on your challenge!

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I totally did that on purpose specifically for that song. ;) 

I suspected as much.

• Like 1

Keto

I'm still in keto, and I've lost 2 lbs. off my rolling average since the Sunday before last... about 10 days. That's awesome progress. The average has been steadily trending downward. The only uptick so far was for Monday and Tuesday this week, and I'm pretty sure that was because I ate way too many salted nuts over the weekend, and maybe lack of sleep Sunday night because I stayed up to watch the last episode of GoT might have created a tiny bit of havoc with my metabolism. But now were back on track it seems.

Cooking

I'm brainstorming ideas for recipes or new ingredients. I've come up with a couple this week.

1) Breakfast sandwiches: I need to find a replacement for those breadless sandwiches I was mowing a couple  challenges ago (egg fritata in place of muffin, etc).  They would be acceptable for ketogenic diets, but they violate two of my restrictions: turkey(not pescatarian) and cheese (dairy). Plus, I've been trying to come up with a reasonable way to batch cook a bunch of these things so I can have easy, fast breakfasts during the week and cut down on my fucking-around-in-the-kitchen-while-I-should-be-getting-ready-for-work time. Also, the ones in the box are pricey for what the ingredients are. I think I'm going to fuck around with my seitan, and see if I can leaven it and mix it with a flour that'll make it more bready and less meaty, so I have high protein bread for egg sandwiches. Or I might try a keto bread recipe.

2) Veggie snacks: I need to find my snack veggie. Something I can take to work and maybe eat with peanut or almond butter. I've been eating a lot, probably too many, nuts. I'm probably going to turn into a squirrel. But at least I'll have the energy to ward off Robert Goulet. Anyway. I'd like to get more vitamins and fiber during the day. Carrots are out because they're a little too carby (not too many to include in a bigger meal, but too many to be the main feature in a snack, especially with NBs, cuz they have a gram or two of carbs themselves.) I don't hate celery, but I don't like celery. I have no idea how it got paired up with buffalo wings. I could totally cut up broccoli stems, and kale stems. The problem with those two, I probably won't buy enough broccoli and kale for them to last a week. Is there something keto friendly and non-dairy I can put on top of a slice of cucumber?

Running?

I worked 9 hours yesterday and 10 hours today. And today I was super on it. I'm running two machines at once. They're right next to each other, but I was back and forth between them all damn day. I'm feeling it. And my step counter picked up an extra 1500 steps today.

I might also add a simple weightlifting plan. During the last challenge, I did think about running a real simple 3x3 linear program just to get back into it without overdoing it on keto. I still want to get some weekend runs in tho.

Data

I dialed back my goal of finishing the coursera certificate. I'm going to leave the last course open ended. The last one is a capstone project, and I want to make sure I do it thoughfully, because that's when I'll really learn something and maybe make something. I'll finish the next one (course 5/9) this weekend They are getting more challenging but the other four courses are really just chugging through information and quizzes and simple activities. Those I can knock out ASAP.

• Like 5

I love broccoli and spinach. I’m lucky enough to drive by a small grocery store where I can pick up a couple of pounds of broccoli at a time. 

Do you like like tuna or chicken? Canned versions without added sugar might go well on a slice of cucumber. Sounds better than putting it on a cracker anyway. 

Also, when it’s busy I often boil a couple dozen eggs on the weekend to take with me on the go. I always eat breakfast once I arrive at work and they’re pretty convenient to have available. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I love broccoli and spinach. I’m lucky enough to drive by a small grocery store where I can pick up a couple of pounds of broccoli at a time. 

Do you like like tuna or chicken? Canned versions without added sugar might go well on a slice of cucumber. Sounds better than putting it on a cracker anyway. 

Also, when it’s busy I often boil a couple dozen eggs on the weekend to take with me on the go. I always eat breakfast once I arrive at work and they’re pretty convenient to have available. 

Chicken is off the menu, but tuna is okay. I definitely prefer a fillet tho.

I think egg or tuna salad  with oil or mayo on a cucumber slice would be perfect. Or wrapped in lettuce or some kind of leaf... Now I'm getting ideas.

Thanks man!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Chicken is off the menu, but tuna is okay. I definitely prefer a fillet tho.

I think egg or tuna salad  with oil or mayo on a cucumber slice would be perfect. Or wrapped in lettuce or some kind of leaf... Now I'm getting ideas.

Thanks man!

You’re welcome! Lettuce is great for that sort of thing. Spinach and romaine have always been my favorites, though the contamination’s of recent years have made it harder to regularly consume fresh versions. 

I’d definitely prefer a tuna fillet to canned tuna as well. However, canned tuna is just stupidly convenient, as is the vacuum packed tuna. 

• Like 1

Peppers are my snack of choice. I like to mix up green and red/yellow/orange so I can enjoy a mixture of earthy and sweet. I also love cucumbers. If peppers are okay on your diet, they also make an excellent bread substitute. I make sandwiches with them and they arent too messy in the hands and have that satisfying crunch. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Peppers are my snack of choice. I like to mix up green and red/yellow/orange so I can enjoy a mixture of earthy and sweet. I also love cucumbers. If peppers are okay on your diet, they also make an excellent bread substitute. I make sandwiches with them and they arent too messy in the hands and have that satisfying crunch. 

Now I'm gonna stuff some mini peppers with those salads,  or some kind of tofu or tvp and spice mixture. 

• Like 1

Re: Breakfast - I am always a fan of egg muffins for quick and easy breakfasts. We make ours with bacon and cheddar because we don't have the same dietary restrictions you do, but you could totally cut up veggies to put inside instead. 

Also, radishes are the best snack. 

• Like 1

I'm over here with my canned seafood for breakfast...tuna, oysters, whatever. Doesn't get more low effort protein than that.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, Curl Brogo said:

Any thoughts on going full stack with Ruby on Rails? I was thinking about going into web dev a couple years ago and that's what I was trying to get into. It just turned out I don't really like web dev... I'm a data monkey. I kinda wanna get back into learning that though so I can build apps for visualizations... but I ought to see what python has available first.

Disclaimer: I only have a cursory knowledge of Ruby on Rails and I have not actually built any real applications with it.

My takeaway of Ruby on Rails is that it's easy to initially learn and implement quickly, but once you need to fight its opinionated nature for some reason, things get difficult quickly. It's great out of the box, minimal configuration necessary. If you want to use it to get a job, you're probably a few years too late. If it's just a shell to put your awesome data logic into, it might be a good fit. So would python (and you can also get hired at more places knowing python).

If you're going full stack though, you're probably going to need to know javascript. And if you know javascript, you can just build your whole stack with it using node.js and not have to learn an additional backend language. It's also extremely in demand. This was my approach. I've pretty much gone all-in on JS and I haven't been dissapointed.

EDIT: Ok coding stuff aside, a quick 3x3 lifting routine on the main compounds would probably do wonders for muscle retention during weight loss, particularly if you're keeping to the ~25% protein goals typical of keto diets. Sounds like a good addition!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Re: Breakfast - I am always a fan of egg muffins for quick and easy breakfasts. We make ours with bacon and cheddar because we don't have the same dietary restrictions you do, but you could totally cut up veggies to put inside instead. 

Also, radishes are the best snack. 

I took all yer ideas and went grocery shopping... and spent way too much. :P

5 hours ago, Urgan said:

I'm over here with my canned seafood for breakfast...tuna, oysters, whatever. Doesn't get more low effort protein than that.

I'm making canned oysters for dinner. I think I'm just going to fry them and cover them with tomato sauce. One of my favorite snacks are canned, smoked oysters with sriracha.

4 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Disclaimer: I only have a cursory knowledge of Ruby on Rails and I have not actually built any real applications with it.

My takeaway of Ruby on Rails is that it's easy to initially learn and implement quickly, but once you need to fight its opinionated nature for some reason, things get difficult quickly. It's great out of the box, minimal configuration necessary. If you want to use it to get a job, you're probably a few years too late. If it's just a shell to put your awesome data logic into, it might be a good fit. So would python (and you can also get hired at more places knowing python).

If you're going full stack though, you're probably going to need to know javascript. And if you know javascript, you can just build your whole stack with it using node.js and not have to learn an additional backend language. It's also extremely in demand. This was my approach. I've pretty much gone all-in on JS and I haven't been dissapointed.

EDIT: Ok coding stuff aside, a quick 3x3 lifting routine on the main compounds would probably do wonders for muscle retention during weight loss, particularly if you're keeping to the ~25% protein goals typical of keto diets. Sounds like a good addition!

That's a probably a fair assessment of RoR. I think its still popular with freelance Web Developers for the reasons mentioned. If you want to build basic websites fast. There are also other frameworks besides rails too. I didn't go deep enough into it, but I think they were made to overcome the constraints that rails imposes. The frameworks seem like a double edged sword. You can do some set of things very quickly because of established conventions, but once you need to go beyond... you gotta know JS.

• Like 2

tumblr_przgil9qjh1ugai4oo1_640.pnj

Once I get deeper into python and data analysis, I'm turning the above into something way sexier. Some of you saw a similar, earlier graph. Blue is my morning weigh-in, orange is the average over the previous seven days. I fit the lines to project where I'm going. It looks like if this keeps up, I should hit 250 by the end of the challenge.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm making canned oysters for dinner. I think I'm just going to fry them and cover them with tomato sauce. One of my favorite snacks are canned, smoked oysters with sriracha.

Smoked oysters are way underrated IMO. 

5 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

That's a probably a fair assessment of RoR. I think its still popular with freelance Web Developers for the reasons mentioned. If you want to build basic websites fast. There are also other frameworks besides rails too. I didn't go deep enough into it, but I think they were made to overcome the constraints that rails imposes. The frameworks seem like a double edged sword. You can do some set of things very quickly because of established conventions, but once you need to go beyond... you gotta know JS.

This feel is too real. Teaching myself automated testing by way of Java and Selenium, immediately run into a problem solved that required one line of JS injection to make a hidden field...unhidden in order to give some text for what amounts to form entry. Which would be sweet if I knew JS lol. Took several blind stabs. Between tool quirks and knowledge limits, it's like a darn minefield. But hopefully Python treats you better. 

• Like 1

Most of my programming experience had been in C/C++...

You want a taste of hell? Try chasing down segfaults while debugging your own home brewed garbage collection routines. 

I'm optimistic about learning python.