• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Keto: Still on. And this morning I hit a new low weight at 251.6 lbs. I was worried I was stalling this week. Because my weight spiked a couple of times, while my average stopped moving down. Like I said before, a strong leap forward requires backing up for a running start. I've been in keto for 5 weeks straight. In the last 4 weeks my 7 day rolling average is down 4.9 lbs. My highest weight recorded near the beginning was 260.4, while today's new low is at 251.4 lbs.

I'll get a nice graph from python up on here before the weekend is out.

Cooking: So for this week I've found keto solutions for grilled cheese, french toast, and chocolate. Today I made some keto TVP chilli. And for dinner right now I'm eating just a cut up cucumber and pan fried pollock (fish). That sounds boring, but I cooked this fish just right. It browned perfectly in the oil and is seasoned with salt and Mrs. Dash. The cucumber is plain, but to my sugar starved palate it actually tastes a little sweet.

Running?: Dips: 3, 2, 3

Data: I'm almost finished with the next course. This one threw a curve ball at me, that is, a final assignment that actually requires me to program something without any hand-holding. So I actually have to think about some problems and use some programming skills. This is a good thing, because I might actually learn something. However, that does mean I probably won't finish until later after I've gone back and reviewed some python and learned more about some of the libraries I need. I'm gonna move on to the next course tomorrow, and blast through the easy stuff (quizzes and such) then during the week I'll review my other books and the labs from today's course. And maybe next weekend I'll start my capstone.

I also uploaded all the course 'badges' to my LinkedIn profile and started working on my CV (pretty much done). It was weird. I had to dig through old files, search for a bunch of citations. I wound up on an old conference website looking at photos of myself and some colleagues. While going back and listing all my previous accomplishments I found myself reminiscing about the old grad school days. I miss the friendships, the conversations, the freedom. It is a privilege to have had the opportunity. But, life in academia was not sustainable for me. It would have meant too much stress and time fighting and scrapping to get funding and not enough forging the relationships and doing the research I wanted. It burned me out, and I had to move on. I spent a lot of time in the past four years ... jeez, has it really been that long... beating myself up for not making it. Regretting not leaving with my Master's at year three when it would have been acceptable, and not waste three more years trying to finish the PhD dissertation, then regretting not pushing through to get the PhD at the end. But, today, I had to make a new CV from scratch. I had to go through all my accomplishments. I got a lot more out of those last three years than it seemed like at the time. Especially the last one. I don't know. I think this might change my negative perspective about how that era of my life ended.

• Like 4

Graphs! From python!

This first one is the most up to date version of my tracking graph. No legends yet, but as before:

blue = raw daily weight

orange = 7 day average

red = 7 day max

green = 7 day min

tumblr_psusrxRsSg1ugai4oo1_400.png

I suspected there was a weekly cycle so I decided to see if it looked real. This is a box plot showing the range of my daily deviation from the 7 day average (daily raw weight - current 7-day average) by day of the week. This shows that on the weekends is when I'm actually below the average. Coming out of the weekend I maintain a little, but then Wed-Fri I'm back above the mean again.

tumblr_psusscr4mi1ugai4oo1_400.png

I'm pretty sure this is due to lack of exercise during the week. When I do exercise it's usually on Sat or Sun. So I should probably start getting a workout in on at least Tue and Thu and see if I can keep my weight below the average so I keep pulling it downward. It could also be from lack of sleep or work week stress that elevates cortisol levels. It might be that once I get a full night of sleep on Friday, I am able to dump a bunch of junk weight on Saturday also.

Data: I was hoping to get through another, course this weekend, but decided not to push too hard. Moreover, I was hoping to get finished with the certificate by the end of the challenge mainly so I can save the other $39 for the next month of coursera. I realized when trying to finish the last course, that I really need to work on my fundamental python programming to move forward. So I'm going to slow down and work on the basics and build a better foundation rather than rush ahead and take shortcuts.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

This shows that on the weekends is when I'm actually below the average.

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

It might be that once I get a full night of sleep on Friday, I am able to dump a bunch of junk weight on Saturday also.

It me. I always figured the reason was more sleeping time leads to later weigh-ins and more elimination prior to said weigh-ins. Hormones, too. Always those dang hormones. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 8:23 PM, Curl Brogo said:

I think this might change my negative perspective about how that era of my life ended.

It sounds like you made choices that were beneficial to you in the long run. Sometimes you have to be the program to learn enough to. realize its not for you and I have so much respect for you for recognizing your wants and needs and letting it go. :) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Yikes.

I just applied for a data analyst position.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Press: 65# 6, 85# 3, 95# 2x3, 6 --> (3x2.5) =  102.5# next time

Front Squat: 95# 3, 105# 2x3, 5 --> (2x5) = 115# next time

Power Clean: 115# 3 --> stopped there because I got faint headed at the end of the set. It's time to eat!

• Like 3

Keto: Yup. Still going. Weight average is moving down again. I'm doing keto. I had a slow week where weight loss dropped, and to pick things back up I started adding in a little more activity.

That's how it's gotta be. 1) Be patient and be grateful for small incremental improvement. 2) Be firmly motivated to do just a little more once in awhile to keep those changes piling up. There is no need to abandon or drastically alter a working plan because it's not getting the optimal or perfect effects you want.

Cooking: I made another batch of seitan. This time I used pea protein as an adjunct protein. Pea is ideal because supposedly the body digests it really well compared to other plant proteins and it has an amino acid profile (like most other legumes) that best complements the gluten amino acid profile. In addition, I used beef broth in the dough, and boiled the seitan in beef broth. This version is the meatiest version. Weirdly, it tastes most like chicken. It's good. Yesterday I had some with guacamole salsa as a 10 o'clock, holy crap I worked out and didn't eat enough and now I can't fall asleep meal. Tonight, I sauteed and browned it in olive oil with kale and some of the beef broth. Super delicious. Meat be damned.

Running?: Resting.

Data: Watched a bunch more videos on the machine learning course and took the quiz for the "half a week." I still have the labs to go through. I'm slowing down again because I need to start getting to bed earlier. I'm starting to fall apart at my current job because I've been staying up working on coursera shit.

Speaking of jobs. I applied for another one. The job title was 'research analyst'. Its in a university lab, doing biology research and sounds more like a lab manager type of role, but I'd have some more freedom in such a role and access to resources to educate myself and set myself up for the next big move. And it pays more than my current job. It would be the perfect job for the next couple of years if I get it.

• Like 5

One last quick thing before bed.

I realized that showing a box plot for categories with only 4 data points apiece is just dumb.

tumblr_pt0hgdwpcK1ugai4oo1_400.png

Okay. Bed time.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2019 at 10:51 AM, Curl Brogo said:

Now I have to wonder, if and how often, web developers are using ASP.NET

More often than you might think; there are at least a few CMS platforms written with it. My old job used it (Kentico CMS) and ehhh, no thanks. If this is purely a snake joke, disregard.

Keto grilled cheese sounds amazing. The keto bread we make is basically just cheese and almond flour, so making a fake bread that is half cheese and then adding more cheese sounds like something I need to try, if I ever go back to keto.

It sounds like your challenge is going pretty well, nice job!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

The keto bread we make is basically just cheese and almond flour, so making a fake bread that is half cheese and then adding more cheese sounds like something I need to try, if I ever go back to keto.

Fixed that for you. :)

• Like 1

So, inspired by you, I decided to look into our corporate training center and turns out they’ve added all kinds of programming stuff, up to and including Python. So I’m launching into that.  No word if I’ll actually be able to get the appropriate software to practice during the day, but I’ll be able to add that to the short list of productive things I can do for myself that also make me appear busy (which, sadly, is of great value here; actually being efficient and effective and getting more work done will get you on the bad list because idiots will see that you have free time and assume there’s not enough work for full time employment).

• Like 2

Keto: The latest progress graph:

tumblr_pt7uk2hFMJ1ugai4oo1_400.png

Here are some notes for a recap:

Week 1 (days 0-6): burn in week, only raw weight collection. Just came off a 3-day fast and I was adapting to keto and being a pescatarian. Went for a run on day 6.

Week 2 (days 7-13): Had some chicken at family dinner on Mother's day (7). More of the same. Started tracking the 7-day average and lost 2 pounds off of my average.

Week 3 (days 14-20):  Still lazy keto. Not much exercise. Went to a memorial day cookout on day 20. Ate a cheeseburger and 3 beers. Lost 1 pound off average.

Week 4 (days 21-27):  Post cookout, lost weight in the first half, then leveled off a bit. Ate smoked pork shoulder and drank five beers on day 27. Maybe 0.5 lbs. lost.

Week 5 (days 28-34): Drank 6 beers and ate a lot of pork shoulder on day 28. Lifted weights once. Ate that grilled cheese. Maybe 0.5 lbs. lost.

Week 6 (days 35-41): Drank no beers ate no meat or dairy. Lifted on Sun, Tues, and Sat. Lost about 1.2 lbs.

Today: Ate a 1/2 lb. hamburger (no bun) with swiss cheese and a bratwurst (no bun) at Father's Day/Monthly family dinner.

Overall: Down about 6 lbs (on average) over 5 weeks (orange line). Best progress comes with some exercise and while avoiding meat, dairy and especially alcohol.

Cooking: I batch cooked some more stuff. I made more Bredd and seitan for the week. That's about it.

Running?: I attempted to workout on Thursday, but had no energy. Saturday I did some dips 3, 2, 3 and some chinup negatives, 1, 1, 1 but that's about it.

If I'm gonna try to pick up the pace here, I'm gonna need to work out more. One problem is that I don't feel like my muscles have the energy. I tried some dips Thursday, and again Saturday. Rep three was super grindy. Back before keto, I recall doing a set of 7. This just shows how the body's energy utilization changes during keto. I.e. I still have the raw strength to do a dip or two, but my muscles can't store the energy to do much beyond that. I can get the third rep only with a lot of rest between sets and determination during the set. This means workouts take longer, and give fewer returns on the time investment.

I think one solution for this might be to start using creatine again. Here's my reasoning:

Creatine takes phosphate from ATP and stores it in a more readly available form of energy in muscle tissue, like a short term battery. That phosphate can be generated by any metabolic pathway that creates ATP... including ketogenesis ( via beta oxidation, and the Krebs Cycle). So if I load up on creatine, and hence create a bigger battery, during recovery, I should have to burn more fat to recharge the battery, and with a bigger battery I can do more work in a set; lift heavier weights, get another rep or two. Although, ketogenesis might take longer to recharge the battery, as long as all the energy is coming from fat then great.

It will increase water retention and overall weight so I'll have to pay attention to that. But it should pump me up. I'll see how this last week goes before I change anything up.

Data: I finished another course and earned another badge this week. That's 7/9 down on my certificate. Course 8 is on Machine Learning and it's actually informative and challenging. Most of the courses so far have been:

course 1 'What is data science?": neither informative, nor challenging

course 2 "Open source tools for data science": mildly informative, not challenging

course 3 "Data science methodology": informative, not challenging

course 4 "Python for data science": neither informative nor challenging

course 5 "Databases and SQL for data science": mildly informative, not challenging

course 6 "Data Analysis with Python": mildly informative, not challenging

course 7 "Data visualization with Python": not informative, definitely challenging

course 8 "Machine Learning with Python": quite informative, somewhat challenging

Basically, this last course finally covers some statistical models and maths. We're only skimming the surface, but at least there's some theory behind what the functions are doing, and some analysis and explanation. And the quizzes and labs have some thought and organization put into them. So I'm liking it now. Now that I've gotten through all the boring, easy, yet mildly frustrating basic shit.

I'm almost at the end of my second canary yellow legal pad, and today I used the last of the ink in the pen that I started with. I also did some updating of my resume and my linkedIn and github profiles.

=======================================

In other news, I'm going to be an uncle. My sister announced after dinner today that she's pregnant. This just seems weird to me. She always said she didn't want kids and she just wanted to be an aunt. But at least now Uncle Brogo won't be getting pressured by wannabe aunts and grandparents, not that I really was.

• Like 5

On 6/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, Deckard Gainz said:

More often than you might think; there are at least a few CMS platforms written with it. My old job used it (Kentico CMS) and ehhh, no thanks. If this is purely a snake joke, disregard.

Keto grilled cheese sounds amazing. The keto bread we make is basically just cheese and almond flour, so making a fake bread that is half cheese and then adding more cheese sounds like something I need to try, if I ever go back to keto.

It sounds like your challenge is going pretty well, nice job!

Mostly a snake joke, but it did get me wondering. And Thanks!

On 6/14/2019 at 12:22 PM, Sciread77 said:

So, inspired by you, I decided to look into our corporate training center and turns out they’ve added all kinds of programming stuff, up to and including Python. So I’m launching into that.  No word if I’ll actually be able to get the appropriate software to practice during the day, but I’ll be able to add that to the short list of productive things I can do for myself that also make me appear busy (which, sadly, is of great value here; actually being efficient and effective and getting more work done will get you on the bad list because idiots will see that you have free time and assume there’s not enough work for full time employment).

Once you download python (if you even need to, it's probably already on your computer) all you need is a text editor. If you want to get beyond whatever basic one comes with your operating system... I'm currently using Atom which I think is made by the fine folks at github. I like it. I used to use sublime text, but it kept bugging me to pay for a license so I decided to use a different editor. Also, it was recommended by  Zed Shaw in his book "Learn Python the Hard Way" -- I like these books for learning new languages because they just force you to type a lot of simple code and mess around with it to teach you the basics of programming and the language you're learning. Between that and the online documentation that's all you need. And there's no shortage of free online tutorials for python and several other languages either.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Once you download python (if you even need to, it's probably already on your computer) all you need is a text editor. If you want to get beyond whatever basic one comes with your operating system... I'm currently using Atom which I think is made by the fine folks at github. I like it. I used to use sublime text, but it kept bugging me to pay for a license so I decided to use a different editor. Also, it was recommended by  Zed Shaw in his book "Learn Python the Hard Way" -- I like these books for learning new languages because they just force you to type a lot of simple code and mess around with it to teach you the basics of programming and the language you're learning. Between that and the online documentation that's all you need. And there's no shortage of free online tutorials for python and several other languages either.

Yeah, the big issue I have is at work they keep the corporate computers locked down pretty tight. I don’t have python installed right now although I can certainly lobby my boss for it. I’m waiting to present a solid case and dropping hints to get him on board because before my promotions they most certainly hated that I programmed using the Java dev kit someone installed or forgot to delete on that corporate computer. 

At home, it’s certainly no big deal to do so. It’s just that with 3 kids, my available time for programming there is quite limited. Whereas many days at work I am basically free most of the day. 

Also, congrats on Unclehood. I quite enjoy being an uncle; for a while I didn’t know if that was going to happen. Maybe your sister changed her mind? Mine was super up in the air about it for years after she got married. In any case, I wouldn’t wish parenthood on anyone but the willing and enthusiastic. I love it, but it’s too much of a commitment to force on anyone!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

In other news, I'm going to be an uncle. My sister announced after dinner today that she's pregnant. 

Congratulations! As a proud and happy aunt of several nieces and nephews, I can confirm that you get the best parts of being a parent, with none of the bad parts that involve diapers or lack of sleep. (Spoil within reason - parents really don't seem to like it when you undermine of sabotage their parenting efforts with your gifts and fun adventures.)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I got emailed today to schedule a phone interview with the company I applied at last week...

giphy.gif

This gif is perfect!

unsolicited advice:

They want you to be the candidate they are looking for so they can stop interviewing and get back to work!

you are interviewing them too! You are totally qualified and got this.

• Like 5

On 6/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

This gif is perfect!

unsolicited advice:

They want you to be the candidate they are looking for so they can stop interviewing and get back to work!

you are interviewing them too! You are totally qualified and got this.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree with Snarky™

So true. I need to just tell them what they want to hear... which is that I'm awesome, and then they'll believe it because they want to, and I'll have a job, and they can not do more interviews and everyone will be content for a short while.

I did some research about the company and working there...

Pros: Good benefits, their building has a gym, pay range for the position is right above where I need to be right now, the job description is a really good place to start in data driven fields (database queries, basic stats, and visualization).

Cons: Reviews complain about turnover, inefficient management (but so does everyone, everywhere else), lack of upward mobility

Basically, it sounds like a good start, but not a company to really stick to long term.

I'm still trying to schedule the phone interview. I offered up two possible times, and the interviewer couldn't make either, so it'll probably happen next week, which is good because that gives me time to prepare. Interview reviews for this position/company say they took about a month from application to offer so expect 3-4 weeks of anxious and/or excited Brogo.

I really should eat some more protein before I go to bed.