Brogo Becomes a Snake Handler

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I haven't seen pictures of the gym tho. Some peoples' definition of a gym is an elliptical, a treadmill, and some space with some yoga mats and bosu balls. I'm not crossing my fingers for a power rack. But, something would be better than nothing. Oddly enough, my current job in the machine shop looks more like what I think a proper gym should look like... cement floor, piles of heavy metal objects everywhere...

Ours features dumbbells, a smith machine, and hex plates--I'm sticking with my current gym, k thx. You roll the dice with these things for sure.

I don't think I mentioned what the company does yet. Basically they handle medical records and research data and work on data analysis (stats and software) to link healthcare and medical research. So also really good fit with my biology background. And, they are located right on a college campus near the medical school and hospital... so if I go back to school for a MS in statistics or similar, I'll be really close to where I'd be taking classes.

A kind of cousin company to ours, then. We process medical equipment, cleaning and repairs. Good and stable industry, never going to be unneeded.

Running?: More like, not doing shit all week. What can I say? It's been hot, and muggy, and I haven't been sleeping, and I don't wanna. It cooled off these last 24 hours, so hopefully I can get some more/better sleep tonight.

More like running clean out of f's, this time of year especially. UGH. Humidity. 

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Ours features dumbbells, a smith machine, and hex plates--I'm sticking with my current gym, k thx. You roll the dice with these things for sure.

Yeah, my last job had a workout facility with a row of dumbbells with some missing, some had holes in them (???), a couple perpetually broken exercise bikes, 1 or 2 working treadmills, and some really junky multi-purpose machines. There was a working leg press and lat pull though, which I considered a blessing but the place was mostly trash and I ended up just working out at home mot of the time anyway.

So here's hoping it's actually decent.

• Like 3

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

10 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Yeah, my last job had a workout facility with a row of dumbbells with some missing, some had holes in them (???), a couple perpetually broken exercise bikes, 1 or 2 working treadmills, and some really junky multi-purpose machines. There was a working leg press and lat pull though, which I considered a blessing but the place was mostly trash and I ended up just working out at home mot of the time anyway.

So here's hoping it's actually decent.

Ours does have a space for yoga and a few ellipticals...or as I like to call it, the nap room. Lol.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Challenge Summary!

I always start a little early, so I can finish a little early.

I'm just quoting/reposting my first post, and adding summaries and very subjective grades in this color.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:03 PM, Curl Brogo said:

giphy.gif

If you haven't followed my threads before, I am Brogo.

I'm usually back and forth between the Warrior and Adventurer guilds. I typically try to lift like a warrior, but mostly I just eat like a warrior. That should stand out as indication that I'm overweight, and the bulk (pun intended) of my fitness journey has been failed attempts at weight loss. Lately, tho, I don't care about gainz. I'm really prioritizing my weight loss over everything else fitness wise. So I wandered back in here.

I'm currently 257 lbs. I want to get to one-der-land. Just get me to 199 lbs.  How am I going to lose this weight?

Starting weight: 257 lbs. (7-day average)

Ending weight: 253.4 lbs. (7-day average)

Lowest weight measurement: 251.2 (single day measurement)

Lowest average: 253.1 lbs.

Total weight lost during challenge: ~3.6 lbs.

tumblr_ptix5o6Kso1ugai4oo1_400.png

Blue line = single day bodyweight measurments

Orange line = rolling 7-day average of bodyweight

Red line = highest in previous seven days

Green line = lowest in previous seven days

I'm levelling off a bit as I'm finishing the challenge. I'm going to have to to tighten up and toughen up to get below 250. As I approach it, I always start getting irritable, lazy, and hungry. So as I move to the next challenge, that will guide my goals.

I'm also seriously considering (another) career change to data science. I'll be (re-) teaching myself to code and learn data science methodologies through a courser certificate, and self-study using python 3 and anaconda 3 (hence the challenge title).

Spoilered longwinded details...

Reveal hidden contents

Keto -- I decided to give keto another shot. I've tried to stick to it a couple times in the past. It's not super hard to do by itself, but my living/social situations in the past tended to get me derailed. Now I'm living by myself and my social life (if we can call it that) doesn't revolve around drinking beer. I'm also not actively lifting and trying to get gainz, so there's no need to fuck around with carb cycling. I can stick to a simple ketogenic diet, and frankly there isn't really anyone in my way except me.

I've been in a ketogenic state for 2+ weeks. Before the start of it I weighed 268 lbs. I was pretty bloated. I decided to go all in and kicked it off with a 3-day fast. I started monitoring my ketogenesis with urinalysis test strips. I was in keto between 24-30 hours of fasting. I stuck it out another 36 hours, and at the end of that I weighed about 258 lbs. So after a short fast, I dropped 10 lbs of junk weight (water, glycogen, salts, poop, etc.) and was in ketogenesis. As tough as fasting was, I at least got to skip having the extended keto flu.

Over the last two weeks, I've been tracking my weight, including a seven day rolling average. The rolling average shows I've lost about 2 lbs. total. If I keep this up I should be able to hit my goal about a year from now. The catch is how to maintain keto for a whole year. Inevitably I'll get derailed. But now I have the cheat code. Fasting. If I wind up eating some carbs somehow, I can fast my way back into ketogenesis. It doesn't have to be 3-days, just 24-30 hours should do it.

Running? -- I went for a run last weekend. 1.88 miles. I did not die... well, a little inside, like emotionally, but mostly I'm okay. It might have actually helped me healthwise. I should probably try to do this more. So... Running?

I've been wanting to do C25K. Well, the issue with keto and being in a caloric deficit, you can't really push yourself too much. Because you don't have the resources to improve, to build muscle and recover takes more time. So I'm just going to strive to move more, and incorporate running into it here and there.

Another issue... I really need to work 45+ hours a week to pay my bills, and better yet 50+ hours to have some room to breathe financially. This really subtracts from my available time/energy to run/exercise during the week. But, working for two extra hours is at least being engaged in activities that aren't sitting down stuffing my face. So I'm going to strike a balance between work and exercise during the week.

Cooking: So my version of keto has been super restrictive. I've been doing this with pescatarian restrictions. So not meat or poultry, and no dairy. Sounds insane, but it's working. I have a long term plan to relax restrictions as I make some progress to help keep me going. At the end of last week I was getting bored with my meals a bit, and that makes me want to backslide or relax some constraints or have a cheat meal. Instead, I'm going to try new ingredients and/or recipes and see if I can make this diet more interesting. Basically, get creative within the constraints I"m putting on myself. Also, batch cooking is key to keeping in line during the week.

Plus, I had an insight during last challenge. I'm always including creative pursuits as challenge goals because I am always looking for a creative outlet. But I haven't really tried cooking as a creative pursuit. I'm always trying to put more time into painting or playing guitar, but I never seem to have time to really invest in it. But, I cook at least one meal a day. Usually two, and on weekends three. I always find time to cook, why not try just as hard to improve my cooking.

Data: I'm pondering/planning another career move from machinist to data scientist. I've started a Data Science certificate on Coursera. Combined with my Master's Degree in Genetics and the experience gained programming and performing statistical analysis (I was a population/computational geneticist) I should have little trouble doing well in the field. I've been thinking about this as a career for a while, but I've been on the fence because after the disaster that was graduate school (my Master's is basically a consolation prize for not finishing a PhD) I was/am not sure I want to go back to that type of work. I've got five classes to go for my certificate. I finished 4 in the last week, but they were the easy ones. The last one took some effort... more accurately, the last assignment was frustrating and hastily/lazily put together by the instructors. But I've got five more to go. Then I'll decide. Or, I might talk to my current boss and see if I can create some opportunities in data analysis at my current company.

Goal 1, Keto:

-> Maintain keto via a standard ketogenic diet (minimal carbs, no TKD or CKD)

-> If ketogenesis gets interrupted, fast for 24-30 hours.

I did good on this one. Every time I checked my urine for ketones, the test was positive throughout the challenge, except for one test that was either negative or ketone levels were so low I couldn't see the change. But, the next morning I was positive again. So maybe just a fluke. I tested twice a day most days. I never had to fast or do anything outside of eating my current diet to restart keto.

Grade: A

Goal 2, Cooking:

-> Keep current dietary restrictions (no meat, poultry, or dairy) until the end of the challenge.

-> Buy at least one new ingredient each week, or try one new recipe.

I did good on this one too. There were a few planned or semi-planned exceptions like meals out with family or friends, but I made the best choices I could, enjoyed what I ate, and didn't go off the rails. There were however a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches on Bredd, which I should have avoided, but that's it. The couple of burgers, a bratwurst, and that amazing smoked pork shoulder were all worth it... I can remember every instance where I was off plan so that's a good sign.

There are some things I can still improve on. I need to snack less on nuts. They are quite salty, and the calories add up quickly. Also, 90% cocoa dark chocolate was a good idea, but executed terribly. There were a couple times where I ate more than I should have had I been exercising discipline and mindfulness.

Grade: B

Goal 3, Running?:

-> Go on a run once every weekend.

-> Hit 6000 steps/day on my fitness tracker or lift weights.

-> If I work <9 hours in a day, go for a run.

I really could have done a lot better here. This one was poorly planned and I did not even remember these were the goals.

I did not run once during the challenge. I hit 6k on my tracker like twice. I did not hold myself accountable to running after work even though I left before I hit 9 hours many, many times during the challenge.

One thing I did well, for a bit, was lifting weights. I set up a little program and stuck with it for a couple weeks. I'll let that be minimal redemption from utter failure.

Grade: D-

Goal 4, Data:

-> Continue work on Data Science Certificate on Courser:a by the end of challenge complete 4 courses.

-> Practice and learn Python 3 (programming language) and Anaconda 3 (scientific, data analysis packages for python)

Pretty good here. I'm on the last of my 4 courses for the certificate. I might be able to blast through it before Monday, but no biggie if I don't. It's on machine learning, and I want to take the time with it that it needs. I've kept up, albeit a little sporadically, practicing python and completed the first 30 exercises in the book I'm working through.

I also applied for a data analyst job and have a phone screen interview scheduled for Monday. Frankly, the last month of studying data science, especially SQL, satisfies the most important qualifications. So keeping at this goal has paid off.

Grade: B+

For next challenge:

I'm heading back to the warriors. I have more weightlifting plans in the works since that's what I at least kinda stuck too for workouts.

Probable goals:

Keto/cooking

Get back on a lifting program

Work more/budget better

Finish Coursera cert --> double down on SQL and SAS (for possible new job and other applications)

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

37 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Challenge Summary!

I always start a little early, so I can finish a little early.

I'm just quoting/reposting my first post, and adding summaries and very subjective grades in this color.

For next challenge:

I'm heading back to the warriors. I have more weightlifting plans in the works since that's what I at least kinda stuck too for workouts.

Probable goals:

Keto/cooking

Get back on a lifting program

Work more/budget better

Finish Coursera cert --> double down on SQL and SAS (for possible new job and other applications)

Oh man, WARRIOR. Sounds like fun! I’ll be following along. 

Honestly, I think your challenge went a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Its not about perfection, but progress, and you've rocketed forward! 

• Like 1

So I was searching the in freezer last night and behind a pile frozen vegetables I found a pound of bacon. I figured what the hell, I just had a good challenge run, I deserve some bacon. So I put it in the fridge to thaw overnight.

We're 8 slices down already. I had the first four with eggs and salad for breakfast.

Then I just finished off a couple (small) bacon, artichoke, roasted red pepper, and pesto sandwiches on Bredd. Oh fuck yeah! That was a genius move.

I need to make more Bredd tonight. It is going to save my breakfast world, because I need to shorten up my mornings and grab something that's quick (no cooking needed) and proteinaceous.

I'm working on data science coursework until later this afternoon I have to stop by my parents' house I'm building some shelves and a work bench for my step Dad as his father's day/birthday present. So I need to take some measurements in their garage.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

To be continued...

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge