The Star-Spangled Miau With a Plan

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Mia, wow the book club sounds great. What would be your first book?

Hope you enjoy the sunshine <3 x

Washington's Spies, by Alexander Rose! And then probably Washington's Secret Six, and from there it's anyone's guess. We might even do a little rewatch of TURN: Washington's Spies, which is (very loosely) based on the Alexander Rose book, along the way. I've had a blog about that show for a couple of years now, which has a good-sized following, but it's all been a bit dead since around October or so, and TURN's 'fandom' has been a bit lax as well, so i thought maybe getting a little group reading and watching might stir things back up ^_^

-----------------------------------------

DAY ONE: The Prequel

i! have been cleaning! since six! in the morning! I was just trying to put the kittens' kennel away and sweep up and that turned into zooming the room on an organizing rampage. unearthed my notebook collection. every story i've ever procrastinated, staring me in the face from their aesthetically pleasing prisons. wow. i spent much of last night learning to fishtail braid instead of sleeping. haven't mastered it yet but i'm gonna. i think i must be in an upswing is what's happening. anyway. jobs? Today's Jobs:

WATER: 1/4 - gotta drink three more. not likely to be difficult because it's too hot to not be drinking water
FOOD: not yet. salad later. probably.
EXERCISE: the plan is to do some workout/stretching and go for a walk At Some Point
FRENCH: postponed until June 1st because i like for numbers to line up a certain way and also i've decided to temporarily switch from duolingo to Memrise because Memrise is somehow more helpful to me on the Grammar Teaching Front
ATTITUDE: idk it's pretty positive right now! I have to pay attention though!

OTHER: continue clean-i-fying everything in sight, work on a Writing, and continue to work out how the book club is gonna go. maybe try to deal with all my notebooks and figure out what's even going on with them.

• Like 3

Matthew 25:34-40

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Mia, wow the book club sounds great. What would be your first book? 

Hope you enjoy the sunshine <3 x

Yeah! I've joined a kinda book-movie-series-music club from a GoT discussion group. We're hooked

• Like 2

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

My own page!  // Instagram

3 hours ago, Miaulin said:

WATER: 1/4 - gotta drink three more. not likely to be difficult because it's too hot to not be drinking water
FOOD: not yet. salad later. probably.
EXERCISE: the plan is to do some workout/stretching and go for a walk At Some Point
FRENCH: postponed until June 1st because i like for numbers to line up a certain way and also i've decided to temporarily switch from duolingo to Memrise because Memrise is somehow more helpful to me on the Grammar Teaching Front
ATTITUDE: idk it's pretty positive right now! I have to pay attention though!

OTHER: continue clean-i-fying everything in sight, work on a Writing, and continue to work out how the book club is gonna go. maybe try to deal with all my notebooks and figure out what's even going on with them.

WATER: Done?? I've lost count, and it's noon, so. that goal either is met or absolutely will be before the day is done.
FOOD: had a smoothie!
EXERCISE: SO MUCH IN FACT. still have to go walk but also. i did. a lot. of exercise.
OTHER: shoved the notebooks back in the drawer and decided i'll deal with them one at a time over a longer stretch of time instead of having them all looking at me at once. also got the Book Club Discord set up. mostly. think i've used the entirety of today's allotment of Brain and now i'm barely awake. remaining mission: walk. and maybe eat some foods. oh, and obtained partial mastery of the fishtail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jcmgm said:

oh will definitely check that out. I ended up feeling that Duolingo was... automatic? I want to talk.. not to only know that le chat noir, le chien ...

Memrise is great! The focus is mainly on vocabulary, but i find it helpful for the grammar as well, something about the repetition seems to hit home a little more effectively than Duolingo. It's even better for languages that have different letters, too. A lot of the stuff on the Memrise courses is also geared toward just that, building up a usable talking vocabulary. i love it! ^_^

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Miaulin said:

what i did do was impulsively arrange a casual summer bookclub??? i just posted on my tumblr asking if anyone who Follows me on there would be at all interested in reading a particular book (or similar books) and discussing them over the summer, and i thought nobody would respond but A LOT OF PEOPLE RESPONDED. So that's a thing now!

Whooo bookclub! That sounds fun! Glad you had a nice weekend and that you're feeling better

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

14 minutes ago, Miaulin said:

Memrise is great! The focus is mainly on vocabulary, but i find it helpful for the grammar as well, something about the repetition seems to hit home a little more effectively than Duolingo. It's even better for languages that have different letters, too. A lot of the stuff on the Memrise courses is also geared toward just that, building up a usable talking vocabulary. i love it! ^_^

This is  good to know about - my son's in-laws from Germany are visiting us soon, and I need to learn German.  No pressure there...

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

On 5/28/2019 at 12:07 PM, NicTheRugger said:

Whooo bookclub! That sounds fun! Glad you had a nice weekend and that you're feeling better

Yesss! And the turnout for it is much bigger than expected, too! I'm excited for it :D

On 5/28/2019 at 12:15 PM, Moros said:

This is  good to know about - my son's in-laws from Germany are visiting us soon, and I need to learn German.  No pressure there...

i think Memrise would be your friend for that! They tend to start with vocabulary people are likely to actually use (sort of like a phrase book i think?) and build up from there so you usually wind up getting some grammar in there too. if you have a way to use apps i think there are also some things for talking to actual people in your target language so to get the accent down as well!  Good luck with your German-learning ! :D  (Edit: Oooh yeah i just checked and their German course goes up to German 7! very cool!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

sooooo no Walkins got done yesterday (my day Two). i got busy and it was nighttime before i knew what was happening :O if i report back no walk today either y'all have permission and request to call me mean names and throw bananas at me, as i just really cannot stand bananas.

the only other things happening are, already did part of my workout today, and drinking water. more frenzied organizing, cleaning stuff, working on the bookclub and some of my...home secretary duties for lack of better term :lol: seeming a bit trembly for no reason again but eyyyy it's fine. We watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1 last night and i paid enough attention this time to not need another viewing. GotG is...not my favorite, confirmed. But Groot's adorable and Rocket looks amazing and it was a fun time even with the periodic grimacing throughout. Turns out Yondu's actor is actually from my home state, go figure. 

• Like 4

Thursday: 

did a full workout in the AM and went for a walk, did some more Book Club Setup. Having some weird, unpleasant feels. Still in 'do all the things' mode but with the Sad rapidly encroaching. Don't feel like i've been very productive lately, so the job for the rest of the evening is to do yet another new schedule to help structure my day more...and definitely keep Walking to an early morning thing, that felt like a good thing today. Sooo that, and riding out the Sad. Morons of the Galaxy Volume 2 arrived today, so that'll be a decent distraction i think :lol:

and might as well admit that those unpleasant feels include some self-harm-y urges to try to resist. no, not try to. gotta Yoda this stuff. let's see what Chris Evans has to say about it.

giphy.webp

thanks mr. evans :')

im 100% bout to be crying in a minute. it's fine.

• Like 5

giphy.gif

I DISAPPEARED ON YOU AND I'M SO SORRY

GotG2 is much better than the first one, in my opinion. I have actually come to love the Guardians as much as the Avengers, because they're very dorky and imperfect and messy, but they still try to do the right thing and be good people, even when that's not at all who they've been up to this point. I did not like the first movie the first time I saw it; but then I saw the second one and loved it, and hence liked the first one much better when I went back and saw it again.  :)  So ... maybe they'll grow on you??

giphy.gif 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

giphy.gif

I DISAPPEARED ON YOU AND I'M SO SORRY

tumblr_inline_o9re2b2S9y1t05upj_500.gif

NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE FRIEN I"M JUST GLAD TO SEE YOU NOW *CLING*

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

GotG2 is much better than the first one, in my opinion. I have actually come to love the Guardians as much as the Avengers, because they're very dorky and imperfect and messy, but they still try to do the right thing and be good people, even when that's not at all who they've been up to this point. I did not like the first movie the first time I saw it; but then I saw the second one and loved it, and hence liked the first one much better when I went back and saw it again.  :)  So ... maybe they'll grow on you??

Ooh now i'm actually excited to see it! Our DVD Player decided not to function last night, so we'll be trying again tonight. I'm very much looking forward to the Baby Groot, at the very least! It was interesting watching the first one, seeing Thanos and realizing "oh THAT'S where That Guy from Infinity War came from, okay!"

------------------------------------------

last night passed without incident *slaps gold star badge on*

all by my onesome today as momsauce is at work and the men left early to go fishing, soooo i got my workout in early again and, because i didn't want to not go for a walk, went by myself. pretty sure momsauce would kill me if she knew. wore a tanktop and became very aware, the second i left the driveway, of being a very Small, Unintimidating person, easily killable via snakebite or else taken down by probably anyone so. naturally kept having the thought "if anything happens to me the main headline is going to be that i was practically naked, this dang tanktop, they'll call me a skank" and more grumbling along a similar line. often followed by insistently thinking at myself "there is nothing wrong with wearing a tanktop, for goodness' sake!" this argument continued for pretty much the entire two mile walk.

and then when i was almost to the turn-around point, i found myself waaaaaaay too close to a snake before i ever knew it was there. *throws glitter* only realized it was there because it reared up and made a sound at me...not sure if it was legitimately acting like it was going to strike or if that's my brain exaggerating matters, but after a long moment during which i was forcibly confronted by my life choices, it turned around and slithered back into the grass.

continued walk, getting an obscene amount of cardio without even running, courtesy of snake.

on the way back, i saw a bunny. we had a moment. thank you, bunny.

nearly back to my own house, i saw what was either a pile of dirt or an extra, additional snake. did not stick around to find out. i am not scared of snakes. except when struggling with the knowledge that if mom finds out i went walking by myself and got killed by a snake while i was at it, she will in fact kill me.

got back in, drank some water, found the kittens passed out asleep on my bed. so that was all very fun and interesting!

• Like 5

I am not really sure whether I was supposed to chuckle throughout that story, but I did ...  :P  I *really do* know how weird it feels to go out in less clothing than you're used to!! I'm ages older than you and I still feel half-naked when I go out in a dress above my knees. It's okay to feel that way, and it's okay to try new clothes and decide if you like them or not, and it's totally okay to feel strange about things you're not used to, no matter what they are or how "normal" they are for other people!!

But WHAT THE HECK WITH THAT SNAKE?????

Courtesy-of-AlexCohen_CULTURE_6-sized2.j

YOU ARE VERY BRAVE I WOULD BE SCREAMING AND RUNNING WITH MY ARMS IN THE AIR

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

17 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I am not really sure whether I was supposed to chuckle throughout that story, but I did ...  :P  I *really do* know how weird it feels to go out in less clothing than you're used to!! I'm ages older than you and I still feel half-naked when I go out in a dress above my knees. It's okay to feel that way, and it's okay to try new clothes and decide if you like them or not, and it's totally okay to feel strange about things you're not used to, no matter what they are or how "normal" they are for other people!!

Chuckling is an appropriate response yes :lol:  i was giggling about it myself in a "totally rolling my eyes at my own self" kind of way. Ehehe. So far it seems that i'm fine with thin-strap tanktops in my house, but in public/outside i'd rather have short sleeves or at least a broader strap. I expect it's one of those things that takes some practice. Knowing there's nothing wrong with dressing a certain way isn't the same as being used to it, so being comfortable with it might (or might not!) happen later on.

17 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

But WHAT THE HECK WITH THAT SNAKE?????

Courtesy-of-AlexCohen_CULTURE_6-sized2.j

YOU ARE VERY BRAVE I WOULD BE SCREAMING AND RUNNING WITH MY ARMS IN THE AIR

i DON'T EVEN KNOW MAN LIKE I WAS JUST WALKING AND SUDDENLY THERE IN MY PATH: DANGER SPAGHETTI

t300w40cwt201.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day Whatever The Heck This Is:

didn't wake up in time for early!walk uwu and when i did wake up around 8 or so, it was with right around...two percent energy, maybe?  time is being somewhat commandeered my family members, which is fine. today's tasks are mostly going to be reading. weekends have been slotted as Rest Days- though i'll still try to get a walk in tomorrow. my legs are actually sore finally, i'd wondered when that would happen.

we watched Guardians 2 last night and...i didn't hate it, but it's not my favorite flavor. The brand of silliness isn't my thing. BUT i did really, really enjoy Baby Groot, and Rocket Raccoon is some seriously beautiful CGI, and Baby Groot was amazing, and i  l o v e  Mantis, and Nebula is great, and i really liked the part where Ego admitted to killing Quill's mom and then Quill just out of nowhere went to town blasting him to smithereens...and the Fleetwood Mac: Chain part was  my favorite, the best, s o  c o o l

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Miaulin said:

the Fleetwood Mac: Chain part was  my favorite, the best, s o  c o o l

So here's this, for your viewing pleasure (has footage from all the Avengers movies before Infinity War as well as X-Men and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so may have some spoilers depending on what you've seen / not seen):

GotG definitely wasn't my cup of tea when I first watched the movies and it's still very different from my favorite Marvel stuff, so it's totes okay if it's not your fave, no judgment ever. But YES I ALSO LOVE MANTIS and the part where Peter blasts the crap out of Ego is v. satisfying. People gave Quill a lot of grief for what he did in Infinity War, but when I stop and think about it, the sheer amount of tragedy that that doofus has been through is pretty mind-blowing.

Take care of your energy today!! If rest is what your body's asking for, then rest is what it needs!!  <3  <3  <3 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

42 minutes ago, Miaulin said:

So far it seems that i'm fine with thin-strap tanktops in my house, but in public/outside i'd rather have short sleeves or at least a broader strap. I expect it's one of those things that takes some practice. Knowing there's nothing wrong with dressing a certain way isn't the same as being used to it, so being comfortable with it might (or might not!) happen later on.

If it helps, I still don't go out of my house in spaghetti straps either, and I still feel really uncomfortable when I go out in shorts. Especially since the old men in the grocery store seem to make a lot more eye contact and unsolicited conversation when I go out in shorts.  :P  :P  :P  I'm super duper in favor of feeling good and comfortable at all times, whatever clothes it takes to achieve that!!   **hugs**

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

On 5/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, Miaulin said:

forgot to mention! but one of my other goals lately is! to do! a sit-up! i've never been able to before and got yelled at for it in Kindergarten and the goal is at least half spite-driven but i also just. want to. idk how to actually build up  to doing a sit-up but i'm assuming core strength will be helpful. (meanwhile, kindergarten!me could do a pull-up on the monkey bars like a  b o s s  even if she couldn't actually maneuver the bars proper)

That is really interesting. Being able to do a pull up requires quite a bit of core activation and strength and you'd expect that to translate right over. 

I hope you are doing okay and that the feelings of harming yourself have abated. I understand how difficult those can be sometimes. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

How'd your Tuesday treat you, Miau?  :D 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

Hi - I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better!

giphy.gif

A few months ago, I saw this video with Chris Evans that might be helpful for you.  Your mileage may vary, of course:

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Week Two Me:

tumblr_nbslvrQX6p1r6a1xdo2_500.gif

got myself all twisted about and confused. i did wind up going for an evening walk last Saturday, and...pretty much every day since, except for yesterday. Didn't do a workout every day. There was one day, i think Tuesday, that i didn't eat at all, but otherwise food has been okay. haven't really been feeling too good about eating recently. sooo on grocery-day i'll pick up some easy things. ehhm....Net hasn't been cooperating at all on the studying, so i'm using some books i have instead. Got behind on my bookclub/bible readings by day two (i can still catch up) and managed to forget my vitamins yesterday :O yesterday in particular was kinda. rough. due in part to finding out from momsauce that her coworkers have some truly disgusting behavior. ( she informed me that one of them, a grown man who's married and has children, upon being shown a picture of another coworker's sixteen-year-old daughter, commented "I could do things to her", proceeded to invite the girl's mom to have a one-night stand with him, and then when she refused told her to let him  know when her daughter turns eighteen. And nobody, of the three or four present including my mom, said anything to shut him down. ( same thing when one of mom's coworkers cheerfully informed her "just so you know, I'm very racist", or any of the other horrible things she's told me about from that place) because they all know that it's whoever says something against it that's going to get fired. ) so last night was spent...angry, to be honest. makes me want to run one of those always-angry political blogs. there is something badly wrong with the fact that people even feel comfortable thinking something like that, let alone speaking it so casually.

but anyway

DecisiveSpanishHackee-size_restricted.gi

trying to get back On It today.  Jobs: Drink the Water, do the Reading, do some Cleaning, and get outside for my Walk because that really has been Good Stuff. Also make sure to put 'cat toys' on the grocery list because spoiling my kittens is my current greatest mission in life until further notice.

• Sad 4

On 6/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, SkyGirl said:

So here's this, for your viewing pleasure (has footage from all the Avengers movies before Infinity War as well as X-Men and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so may have some spoilers depending on what you've seen / not seen):

Ahhhhh thank you for this! I'll have to add it to the happy things bookmark! I haven't actually seen any X-Men since...oof maybe the first two? or three? and no Agents of SHIELD at all but i have been curious about that one! Is it any good?

On 6/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, SkyGirl said:

GotG definitely wasn't my cup of tea when I first watched the movies and it's still very different from my favorite Marvel stuff, so it's totes okay if it's not your fave, no judgment ever. But YES I ALSO LOVE MANTIS and the part where Peter blasts the crap out of Ego is v. satisfying. People gave Quill a lot of grief for what he did in Infinity War, but when I stop and think about it, the sheer amount of tragedy that that doofus has been through is pretty mind-blowing.

Weirdly enough, since posting about it...the characters have kinda grown on me? Not the style of the movie so much, but the characters for sure. And Quill? Really is? Surprisingly tragic? Losing his mom, getting kidnapped (into Space no less), presumably not really a great environment growing up considering how the Ravagers act and he says Yondu maintained the threat of letting the crew eat him, finally meets his father and discovers he has these powers, only to find out his father killed his mom, then have to kill his own father and lose the powers he'd just gained...and lose his father-figure on the same day right as they'd seemed to get to a better place with each other. Not to mention having his Walkman squished. And and And having to decide to kill Gamora in order to protect her from Thanos, only to fail, resulting in her being killed by Thanos. Then that business with the Gauntlet, making him, however understandably, in part responsible for the Snap...which took out all but one of his closest friends and him. He and Thor have some serious common ground they could talk through together at this point. I mean, he's still a clown, but wow.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:14 PM, SkyGirl said:

If it helps, I still don't go out of my house in spaghetti straps either, and I still feel really uncomfortable when I go out in shorts. Especially since the old men in the grocery store seem to make a lot more eye contact and unsolicited conversation when I go out in shorts.  :P  :P  :P  I'm super duper in favor of feeling good and comfortable at all times, whatever clothes it takes to achieve that!!   **hugs**

Uggggggh Grocery Store Men. There needs to be a bracelet or something that, when activated, could cause the wearer to just appear as a pixelated blur. or as the Winter Soldier. or as Thor. if the nasty boys are going to look they should at least get a terrible fright for their trouble.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:28 AM, jonfirestar said:

That is really interesting. Being able to do a pull up requires quite a bit of core activation and strength and you'd expect that to translate right over. 

I wish i could go back and ask Kindergarten!Me what was going on with that :lol: Probably couldn't do a pull up these days, but i'd like to get there!

On 6/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, jcmgm said:

such a powerful moment
AND IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME NOWWWWW

hope you're having a great week!

YOU WILL NEVER! LOVE ME! AGAIN!

that one and 'dreams' by the same band, fantastic. ^_^

and i hope your week is good too!

On 6/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, Moros said:

A few months ago, I saw this video with Chris Evans that might be helpful for you.  Your mileage may vary, of course:

ooh thank you!