Xena's Triumphant (?) Return from Sea

Xena

I'll be on a ship for most of zero week. I'm not sure if I'll have internet access. I am sure that I'll be busy and tired.

I haven't figured out all my challenge goals yet, but I will have a challenge! Here's what I have so far

Leftover goals from last time

1. 60 min plank. I can take as long as I want to do this, as long as the increments are at least 30 sec. As of 5/20, I had 30 min to go. I get a reward when I finish this!

2. Make 10 new recipes or storage meals. This one also has an open deadline and a reward attached. As of 5/20, I'm up to 5.5/10.

New goals!

1. Run 100 miles (yes the same goal as last time, just re-set). This is a 4-week goal. If I don't hit 25 miles in a week, I'm allowed to count cardio cross-training (1 mile per 10 min) up to a total of 25/week.

2. 100-200-100 pushups. No deadline for this goal. 100 knee push-ups, 200 negatives, and 100 full. The general idea is to progress from knee to negative to full, but I can mix them up however I want.

3. Calorie counting. My weight has crept up, and calorie counting is the most reliable way for me to beat it back down. I'll aim for 2100 per day, but up to 2300 is ok for the purposes of this goal. There will be some travel days, some meals that will be difficult to count, and some allowable excess. This counts as a success if I get 16 days of 2300 or fewer calories during the challenge.

Sushi list!

I have a list of 10 "adulting" chores. When I finish it, I get to treat myself to sushi. I have 7/10 done on my old list. I have the next one almost ready to go too. It's kind of nice have the next list waiting. Nothing on it is particularly urgent, so I just write it down and stop worrying about it until the first list is done.

• Like 7

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm here for this!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Following! Are you back to doing laps on the deck or do you stick to the treadmill at sea?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Following along :) 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

83A4605B-FEA3-40C7-84CB-D30D1B8F48F7.jpeg

• Like 5

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 5/20/2019 at 4:59 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Mandatory song post

This is my absolute fave! Several years back we were doing work off dive boats in Saudi and a group of colleagues made their own awesome version. I'm nearly constantly singing this to myself during the cruise. Well maybe not constantly, but a lot. And I'm enough of a boss-type person that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to share out loud :-(

On 5/20/2019 at 6:50 AM, Stribs said:

I'm here for this!

Hi Stribs!

On 5/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Indeed!

On 5/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, Fonzico said:

Following!

Hi!

On 5/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, NicTheRugger said:

Following along for awesome push-up goals and boat shenanigans!

*insert pirate video here*

Thought about doing some push-ups today but decide to wait and be rested for DAY 1!!!

Thanks for the awesome video :-)

On 5/21/2019 at 10:13 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Following! Are you back to doing laps on the deck or do you stick to the treadmill at sea?

Couldn't run at all for the 4 days on the boat. There was a treadmill, but I seriously did not have any extra time for anything. Even sleep was minimal. During the other 6 days I was away, I did run, but not as much as normal, so I've got some rebuilding to do. And hi!! Do you have a thread this time? I'll look...couldn't find one last time.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:55 AM, jonfirestar said:

Following along :) 

Hi Jon

On 5/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, Maigs said:

Lurks

Non-creepy lurkers like yourself always welcome :-)

On 5/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, DJtrippyT said:

83A4605B-FEA3-40C7-84CB-D30D1B8F48F7.jpeg

That's kind of beautiful. I don't think I've seen that one before.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:37 AM, Emerald Eagle said:

original.gif

Oooh another absolute fave, and one of the classic best scenes.

@Sloth the Enduring and @deftona thanks for the videos. Both completely new to me!

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm back!! Just a quick hello for now.

The trip was good, but the work was hard, and I didn't have much time for exercise. I ran about 5 times over the 10 days, but not for as long as I would have liked.

I've decided my third challenge goal is gonna be calorie counting. I need 16 days under 2300 calories. More later...gotta run (not literally)...gotta go watch the GoT finale. I missed it while at sea!

• Like 11

Oct/Nov 2016

Welcome back! :) 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

My leftover challenge of planking has been taking me a long time. Partly because I didn't want to deal with it while traveling. But also because a few times I tried to do it too soon after eating and that didn't go so well. And maybe also because I sort of envisioned doing the planks as part of a bigger workout and felt like I was "cheating" just throwing down some planks. I think I've figured out how to make this and the new push-up goal work for me. The past 3 days I've just started doing planks and pushups as soon as I wake up in the morning. I don't get a ton done, but I at least do some. I'm not gonna worry about throwing it into a bigger workout. After breakfast I usually run. Sometimes I go to the gym after work...If I do, I can always throw in more planks and/or pushups; if not, no biggie, I've at least done a few.

Totals so far

1. Planking 36.5/60 min (carried over from last challenge)

2. Knee/Negative/Full pushups:   21/4/0 (out of 100/200/100)  [allowed to carry this one over to next challenge]

3. Running 14.5/100 miles

4. Calories 2/16 days under 2300. Had a minor fail yesterday...neighbor came over after dinner for pie and wine. I tried to leave enough "calorie space" in my day but ended up a little over. Aiming to make the goal again tomorrow, but then after that will be traveling for 4 days and not counting.

5. Recipes 6.5/10 new recipes or storage meals. Will get back on this next week after my trip.

* Sushi list: Not much progress. Brought something into work with me to mail out. Didn't have time to package and mail it. Goal for tomorrow is to call the garage to schedule service appointment for my car. Maybe get to the post office, but ok if I don't have time for it.

I finished work today feeling pretty exhausted. This week is pretty compressed because of Memorial Day and my upcoming travel on Friday. I don't think there's too much I can do to make it easier. I just have to get through a couple days. Next week will probably be hard too because again I'll be coming back to work without the weekend to get myself organized. I think I should look for a day when I can come in a couple hours early or late and take some time to catch up. Not 100% sure that will be possible though.

• Like 10

Oct/Nov 2016

9 hours ago, Terra said:

Do you have any runs planned for this challenge or are you just running to train?  

Yes!! I'm doing a trail half marathon on June 16. It's a race I've run a couple times, including last year, so I should be able to figure out a reasonable goal. The race isn't particularly important to me though, except as a fun trip. My next marathon is in August, and my big goal for the year is a marathon in early November. The November race is what I'm really training for.

The trail half marathon is interesting: 3 miles steep uphill (I'll walk most of it), 3 miles pretty steep downhill, 7 miles that are "more normal."  Because I live in a pretty flat area, my coach has had me do some treadmill incline training. That sucks as much as you might imagine it would, but it is good training.

Today: 2 min plank, 6 knee and 4 negative pushups. Brings me to 38.5/60 plank, 27/100, 8/200, 0/000 knee/neg/full pushups. 5 miles bringing me to 19.5/100. Today's run was solid...middle 3 miles were at tempo effort. I hit the desired pace pretty squarely, though it wasn't easy. Toward my sushi goal, I made an appointment for car service.

Finally found another person in my department who has heard of (and experienced) compassion fatigue.

Went over on calories by accident again. I was pretty thoughtful in planning the day, but came home and ate before I calculated. So far 2/16 days under goal, 2 days accidentally over, 4 days coming up where I'm choosing not to track. Will get back on this next week.

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

A bit late to the party, but welcome back! I'm impressed that you were able to make time for your runs, even if they were shorter than you'd like

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I am also late to the party, but following along! I like your plank goal using total minutes for the month (although at first I thought you were planking for a whole hour at a time and I was like DANG GIRL TELL ME YOUR SECRETS).  :D  I hope doing them first thing in the morning works well for you!

Welcome back from the sea!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

On 5/30/2019 at 10:35 PM, h3r0 said:

Nice progress so far. Keep it up! 

Thanks!

On 5/30/2019 at 11:45 PM, Elastigirl said:

A bit late to the party, but welcome back! I'm impressed that you were able to make time for your runs, even if they were shorter than you'd like

Welcome! Yeah, I was happy to get in what I could while traveling.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:05 AM, Fonzico said:

I think your new pushup/plank philosophy is sound. Getting a little done, vs none because it's not ideal is an obvious win!

I think I've got this one figured out for myself. This week's numbers are weird b/c of traveling, but I really think the next 3 weeks will be good.

On 6/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, SkyGirl said:

I am also late to the party, but following along! I like your plank goal using total minutes for the month (although at first I thought you were planking for a whole hour at a time and I was like DANG GIRL TELL ME YOUR SECRETS).  :D 

That would be truly awesome...though I would be suspicious of form ;-)

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Xena - on a trip for work runs 5/10 days. #GOALZ

Following for runspiration, as always! 

For some reason reading your goals I got that song 500 miles stuck in my head but modified to "I would run 100 miles, and I would run 100 more..."

Have any of your new recipes been winners?

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger