• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Gets Serious 2: The Seriousening

Recommended Posts

What a day :unsure: The bank bit is kafkaesque. For Cirque Physio, that's a bit of a shame :(I'm glad you found a way to sort it out but maybe you should let her know that this is not straightforward for everybody. She might not be able to fix it immediately, but it might go into a todo list of things to improve at least.

 

As you know I do a fair amount of Cirque Physio weekly (custom picking drills from her older programmes, not myFlex) and I found it very helpful. But although I was already cherry-picking, I still had to reduce the amount of drills at some point because it's much more time consuming than it looks.  If I could, I would do myFlex to get the assessment bit + some coaching, I would be able to cherry-pick more sensibly. But I don't think I can commit to the full thing. If I remember correctly, Mad Hatter has 2x45mn sessions weekly? It would be too much for me. It's still worth it for the library of drills and the amount of info. It just takes a lot of time to go through all of it with your own body and xp on it (how it feels, how it's progressing).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, @mu said:

What a day :unsure: The bank bit is kafkaesque. For Cirque Physio, that's a bit of a shame :(I'm glad you found a way to sort it out but maybe you should let her know that this is not straightforward for everybody. She might not be able to fix it immediately, but it might go into a todo list of things to improve at least.

  

 As you know I do a fair amount of Cirque Physio weekly (custom picking drills from her older programmes, not myFlex) and I found it very helpful. But although I was already cherry-picking, I still had to reduce the amount of drills at some point because it's much more time consuming than it looks.  If I could, I would do myFlex to get the assessment bit + some coaching, I would be able to cherry-pick more sensibly. But I don't think I can commit to the full thing. If I remember correctly, Mad Hatter has 2x45mn sessions weekly? It would be too much for me. It's still worth it for the library of drills and the amount of info. It just takes a lot of time to go through all of it with your own body and xp on it (how it feels, how it's progressing).

Based on the FB feedback the assessments are tricky for a lot of people! Not just the app but also measuring the right angles etc. It's quite time consuming too. I do like a lot as a method though and unfortunately I'm not sure how it could be improved. Image recognition for this is far off yet. ;) And doing it manually for them would be a biiiig chunk of work. Maybe at an additional fee?

 

Heh, I wish I could do it in 45 minutes. :D The whole thing takes 2 hours, if I'm speedy! That's why I've been finding it so daunting. I can split it up of course but I've been a little stubborn because even if it's long it's also oddly enjoyable to do the whole thing in one session. But I think I'll start doing one module at a time instead, and go on the principle that something >> nothing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Based on the FB feedback the assessments are tricky for a lot of people! Not just the app but also measuring the right angles etc. It's quite time consuming too. I do like a lot as a method though and unfortunately I'm not sure how it could be improved. Image recognition for this is far off yet. ;) And doing it manually for them would be a biiiig chunk of work. Maybe at an additional fee?

 

I meant a wider access to apps that do some kind of measurement at least. I understood Whiteghost could not purchase those, I'm a bit surprise she would refer to paying apps actually. Did you have to pay? I have an electric drill that came with an app to measure angles from a pic :D I think it's free without the driller too. I can look it up if you like :P

 

30 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Heh, I wish I could do it in 45 minutes. :D The whole thing takes 2 hours, if I'm speedy! That's why I've been finding it so daunting. I can split it up of course but I've been a little stubborn because even if it's long it's also oddly enjoyable to do the whole thing in one session. But I think I'll start doing one module at a time instead, and go on the principle that something >> nothing. 

 

Yes, I remembered 45mn x2, that sort of scale. 2h is a lot, I mean, I don't mind that level of committment (or even some more)  on programmes like P2 or press to HS, but I'm just not that willing on her programmes.  It feels good  - sometimes (I still find some drills pretty mean) and I can see progress or that my session will be better if I have done some Cirque Physio prep, but yep, erm, that's pretty much my only incentive. It did make me realise that this type of work is actually quite important, so I feel ambivalent.... I'm not doing enough, but as you said: a little bit is still better than nothing...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, @mu said:

I meant a wider access to apps that do some kind of measurement at least. I understood Whiteghost could not purchase those, I'm a bit surprise she would refer to paying apps actually. Did you have to pay? I have an electric drill that came with an app to measure angles from a pic :D I think it's free without the driller too. I can look it up if you like :P

 

 

Yes, I remembered 45mn x2, that sort of scale. 2h is a lot, I mean, I don't mind that level of committment (or even some more)  on programmes like P2 or press to HS, but I'm just not that willing on her programmes.  It feels good  - sometimes (I still find some drills pretty mean) and I can see progress or that my session will be better if I have done some Cirque Physio prep, but yep, erm, that's pretty much my only incentive. It did make me realise that this type of work is actually quite important, so I feel ambivalent.... I'm not doing enough, but as you said: a little bit is still better than nothing...

I think there are free versions too, but with some limitations. I paid, it's only a few bucks and I'm paying for the program anyway. Maybe the program could come with a simple app or web tool but that'd require them reaching out to someone because I really don't think they have the skills to do that.

 

For me my incentive is body maintenance to prevent niggly joints. I think for me it's quite important as my joints are a little on the lax side => extra stiff muscles in some directions => pain. I'm not doing anything that requires a lot of flexibility at the moment so that side is not very important but of course it's nice if my active flex wouldn't suck quite so badly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zenLara said:

I could go on for hours and hours :D

It is just for tourists?  Or do local people still eat it?

 

4 hours ago, @mu said:

What a day :unsure: The bank bit is kafkaesque. For Cirque Physio, that's a bit of a shame :(I'm glad you found a way to sort it out but maybe you should let her know that this is not straightforward for everybody. She might not be able to fix it immediately, but it might go into a todo list of things to improve at least.

 

As you know I do a fair amount of Cirque Physio weekly (custom picking drills from her older programmes, not myFlex) and I found it very helpful. But although I was already cherry-picking, I still had to reduce the amount of drills at some point because it's much more time consuming than it looks.  If I could, I would do myFlex to get the assessment bit + some coaching, I would be able to cherry-pick more sensibly. But I don't think I can commit to the full thing. If I remember correctly, Mad Hatter has 2x45mn sessions weekly? It would be too much for me. It's still worth it for the library of drills and the amount of info. It just takes a lot of time to go through all of it with your own body and xp on it (how it feels, how it's progressing).

I sent her a message but I expect it will take a her a bit to get back to me.  I suspect she is probably pretty swamped with this new roll-out.

 

I mostly signed up for this because I wanted the assessment, which would lead to a program that would work based on where I am rather than where most people start.  I currently have plenty of time, so I am not too worried about getting the programming in, but I guess we'll see once I get my program.

 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Based on the FB feedback the assessments are tricky for a lot of people! Not just the app but also measuring the right angles etc. It's quite time consuming too. I do like a lot as a method though and unfortunately I'm not sure how it could be improved. Image recognition for this is far off yet. ;) And doing it manually for them would be a biiiig chunk of work. Maybe at an additional fee?

 

Heh, I wish I could do it in 45 minutes. :D The whole thing takes 2 hours, if I'm speedy! That's why I've been finding it so daunting. I can split it up of course but I've been a little stubborn because even if it's long it's also oddly enjoyable to do the whole thing in one session. But I think I'll start doing one module at a time instead, and go on the principle that something >> nothing. 

I spent some more time looking for apps because the old way was just way too inaccurate.  I would look at the angles on the sample pictures and compare that against what I was coming up with for my estimates and there was no way they were even close.  Luckily, I found one!!!  Not only was it free, but it was much more straightforward and user friendly than the one she recommended.  (I could get the free sample but not the paid version, but it only gives you 2 pictures and I used those up before I could even figure out how to get it to work.

 

The one I use is called Protractor and is made by Android Pandaz.  It is a super simple app and only does like 2 things, but that just happens to be exactly what I needed.  I went back and measured the stretches I had done and, as expected they were way off.  I sent a message to Jen to see if I can restart the assessment now that I have the right tools and I am waiting for her reply.

 

2 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes, I remembered 45mn x2, that sort of scale. 2h is a lot, I mean, I don't mind that level of committment (or even some more)  on programmes like P2 or press to HS, but I'm just not that willing on her programmes.  It feels good  - sometimes (I still find some drills pretty mean) and I can see progress or that my session will be better if I have done some Cirque Physio prep, but yep, erm, that's pretty much my only incentive. It did make me realise that this type of work is actually quite important, so I feel ambivalent.... I'm not doing enough, but as you said: a little bit is still better than nothing...

I am not worried so much about the time commitment, but more that I will spend time on it and not get any results (which has been my experience for any type of stretching program I have tried so far.  And now having started watching her instructional videos, I now know why nothing has worked for me.  She has a buch of stuff where she says "If you feel like XYZ then you should not keep going with the stretch" or If you have XYZ feeling, continuing to stetch is going to be counterproductive" and pretty much 100% of the time she says that she is describing a stretch I have been trying to do I was feeling XYZ.  No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere

 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think there are free versions too, but with some limitations. I paid, it's only a few bucks and I'm paying for the program anyway. Maybe the program could come with a simple app or web tool but that'd require them reaching out to someone because I really don't think they have the skills to do that.

 

For me my incentive is body maintenance to prevent niggly joints. I think for me it's quite important as my joints are a little on the lax side => extra stiff muscles in some directions => pain. I'm not doing anything that requires a lot of flexibility at the moment so that side is not very important but of course it's nice if my active flex wouldn't suck quite so badly.

The free version is garbage, and is only there to serve as a sample forcing you to upgrade after 2 uses.  I may ask her to check out the free one I found and see if it makes sense to recommend more options to people

 

My primary incentive is increasing my mobility so I can do thinks like pikes (someday I want to be able to do skin the cats on a bar) but strengthening my joints at the end ROM is becoming more important as I start moving into more difficult and complex exercises.

 

Today I went to the park and did another muscle up focused workout, but I also did some other fun things as well.  There was an 86 year old former gymnast there who taught me a simple routine for the parallel bars and gave me some quite helpful guidance on my handstands.  I also did some kips & giants & stuff just because those are fun.

 

When I got home I wanted to keep going on my MyFlex assessment but I was getting really frustrated with the various technical difficulties.  Once I found the new app, though, I sent the message off to Jen and will hold of on any more assessment work until I hear back from her.

 

By this time it was already too late to go to the trampoline park, so I watched Ghostlet's marching band practice for a bit and then when he got home I helped him with his homework.  

 

Dinner was 滑蛋虾仁 (Huadan Xiaren) which is essentially shrimp & scrambled eggs. 

kwnQ9kp.jpg

It was really easy and tasted quite good, although nowhere near as good as when Ghostess makes it.  I should have gotten her recipe but she is in Shanghai on a business trip so I just found something online.  Pretty sure I will be making this one again because in addition to the ease and great taste, it is pretty much pure protein, which is great for my macros :) 

 

Tonight will probably be a bunch of reading (Currently on The Fifth Elephant from the Discworld series) but I may try to get some sketching in later as well.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The free version is garbage, and is only there to serve as a sample forcing you to upgrade after 2 uses.  I may ask her to check out the free one I found and see if it makes sense to recommend more options to people

I won't lie, the reason why I bought it was that the time spending trying a bunch of free apps vs just forking out a few bucks just wasn't worth it to me. It'd definitely be better if she could suggest free options!

 

8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

There was an 86 year old former gymnast there who taught me a simple routine for the parallel bars and gave me some quite helpful guidance on my handstands. 

That is so badass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

There was an 86 year old former gymnast there who taught me a simple routine for the parallel bars and gave me some quite helpful guidance on my handstands.  I also did some kips & giants & stuff just because those are fun

Ahhh, so neat. :D 

 

Sorry you're having some technical difficulties with the MyFlex program. I had sent their team some questions about whether the progressions extend beyond flat/square splits and a good bridge, but never heard back... haha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

There was an 86 year old former gymnast there who taught me a simple routine for the parallel bars and gave me some quite helpful guidance on my handstands.

That's awesome! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raptron said:

Sorry you're having some technical difficulties with the MyFlex program. I had sent their team some questions about whether the progressions extend beyond flat/square splits and a good bridge, but never heard back... haha. 

Shrug, they've been super quick on the replies for me so I guess it got lost in the masses. While I believe there was *supposed* to be more advanced levels stuff in the new version, I wouldn't use this program for that. It's not a contortion program. For someone at your level of flexibility I think myflex would serve much better as a compliment to other flexy practices, as a means of pinpointing the sticking points and to work on more neglected areas for long term joint health. Honestly for you I wouldn't recommend it, you're flexible enough, you already do gymnastics specific end range work which will probably serve you better, and when there are niggles you work with a physio that can give you the exact exercises you need. Had you had such a thing as TIME then I'm sure you could find some great drills in there, but as a program it's probably not for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It is just for tourists?  Or do local people still eat it?

Local people eat those awful things too, yeah. The things under the name paella in most spanish menus aren't paella.

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

There was an 86 year old former gymnast there who taught me a simple routine for the parallel bars and gave me some quite helpful guidance on my handstands

Oh, wow. Lucky day, then, even after all the MyFlex complications.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Shrug, they've been super quick on the replies for me so I guess it got lost in the masses. While I believe there was *supposed* to be more advanced levels stuff in the new version, I wouldn't use this program for that. It's not a contortion program. For someone at your level of flexibility I think myflex would serve much better as a compliment to other flexy practices, as a means of pinpointing the sticking points and to work on more neglected areas for long term joint health. Honestly for you I wouldn't recommend it, you're flexible enough, you already do gymnastics specific end range work which will probably serve you better, and when there are niggles you work with a physio that can give you the exact exercises you need. Had you had such a thing as TIME then I'm sure you could find some great drills in there, but as a program it's probably not for you.

Totally fair! I was just curious how much might be applicable beyond hitting the key skills it's about slash thinking that if I paid for something I'd actually spend time working on my end ranges. But yes, time. What is that? I don't know her. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I won't lie, the reason why I bought it was that the time spending trying a bunch of free apps vs just forking out a few bucks just wasn't worth it to me. It'd definitely be better if she could suggest free options!

I get it.  If I had the option I would have just bought it too.  I am really happy with the free one I finally found, though, so it all works out

 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:27 PM, SheriffWolfpool said:

Great challenge brother! The Sirius Black one cracked me up! Following!

 

Image result for serious gif

 

Wolf

WWWOOOOOLLLLLFFFFF!!!!

 

Great to see you!

 

23 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhh, so neat. :D 

 

Sorry you're having some technical difficulties with the MyFlex program. I had sent their team some questions about whether the progressions extend beyond flat/square splits and a good bridge, but never heard back... haha. 

It was pretty neat. 

 

I am also surprised that they never got back to you, they have been super quick in getting back to me with all of my questions. 

 

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's awesome! :)

Yeah, that guy was amazing.  Easily one the most spry 86 year olds I have even met

 

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Shrug, they've been super quick on the replies for me so I guess it got lost in the masses. While I believe there was *supposed* to be more advanced levels stuff in the new version, I wouldn't use this program for that. It's not a contortion program. For someone at your level of flexibility I think myflex would serve much better as a compliment to other flexy practices, as a means of pinpointing the sticking points and to work on more neglected areas for long term joint health. Honestly for you I wouldn't recommend it, you're flexible enough, you already do gymnastics specific end range work which will probably serve you better, and when there are niggles you work with a physio that can give you the exact exercises you need. Had you had such a thing as TIME then I'm sure you could find some great drills in there, but as a program it's probably not for you.

Yep they have been the same for me.  I would imagine once you already have a certain level of flexibility, this would really just be for closing the active/passive gap and strengthening joints to avoid injury.  Of course I haven't even started the program, so I am hardly an expert on it.

 

18 hours ago, zenLara said:

Local people eat those awful things too, yeah. The things under the name paella in most spanish menus aren't paella.

 

Oh, wow. Lucky day, then, even after all the MyFlex complications.

I suspect the result of this is loads of tourists coming back from a visit to Spain and telling their family and friends about the great authentic paella they had when in reality it was nothing of the sort. :D 

 

The crew there is great.  Even though they are all old retired guys with an average age close to 70, many of them have stuff that I can't do, so it is a great chance to learning from each other

 

9 hours ago, mom2sjm said:

Related image

Great GIF!  I really need to find that movie and rewatch it sometime.  

 

This morning I went to the park to do a leg workout, but ended up getting distracted by the high bar and actually spent most of my time doing gymnastics stuff instead.  I was able to get a high bar routine of kip -> cast -> back uprise -> back hip circle -> bar shoulderstand.  I could only get through the whole thing once, though.

 

When I got home, I found that the MyFlex folks had reset my profile as I had asked them to and I got on with doing my assessment.  I have finished Hip Extension and  Pike and almost done with Straddle/Pancake.  Tomorrow I will finish that and do the shoulder/backbend module and then it will be time to wait while they do their magic.  Looking forward to seeing what my program looks like.

 

Apparently I have very sever nerve tension in pretty much every test I did, so I suspect that will be a big part of my drills.  On the other hand, I seem to have pretty small active/passive gaps, but that is mostly because I am completely inflexible in both active and passive holds :D 

 

Later in the afternoon I took the train to the airport to pick up our car.  Ghostess was originally planning to drive it back herself from the airport, but apparently the turbulence on her first flight was so bad she decided she was not up to flying again and took the train back.  IN the evening Ghostlet and I went to the train station to pick her up.

 

Food was pretty so-so.  I had frijoles con queso with Harbin sausage sliced into it for lunch, and then some takeout spicy boiled fish for dinner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, raptron said:

Totally fair! I was just curious how much might be applicable beyond hitting the key skills it's about slash thinking that if I paid for something I'd actually spend time working on my end ranges. But yes, time. What is that? I don't know her. :P

Sometimes paying for something is a good way to motivate us to do something but (in my experience at least) it is just as likely to create additional anxiety about it because now I am not only not doing it, but have sunk money into it to boot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, today was a very interesting day.

 

It started out with a jaunt to the park for LEG DAY :)  I didn't spend as much time on pistols as I had originally planned, but I do so some free standing pistols.  I didn't get as deep as I would have liked but overall I enjoyed the workout.

 

After the workout, I came home and finished up the MyFlex assessment, so now I need to wait a week or so for the training plan to come.  I do need to take some status pictures for my before pictures, but other than that I am ready to get started.

 

In the afternoon I headed over to the church because we were almost out of electricity in the chapel and you can only purchase electricity on weekdays because what else would you expect?  When I finished up there, I got a call from Ghostess who was skipping out of work and we arranged to meet up for a date.  However, I had already had all of the ingredients for dinner thawed/bought so we didn't want to go out to eat, and there aren't any good movies showing so we were just going to go home and maybe watch an old movie at home.  As we got close to our place, Ghostess remembered that there is a gym nearby that she wanted to check out for swimming lessons for Ghostlet.  We went in to talk to them and walked out with swimming lessons and also a year membership for Ghostes and I giving us unlimited use of the gym.

 

This means that I will be going to the gym once a week for swimming (Saturday evenings) and then probably once again during the week for squats.  They only have one squat rack, but I suspect that most people in China have not discovered leg day yet.  I am a little disappointed that they don't allow deadlifting in the freeweights section, but at least they do have a deadlift machine.  But seriously, what is the point of a gym where you can't deadlift???  Anyway, I guess I am going to need to reassess my workouts to see where I can fit in gym stuff.  First priority is figuring out what the gym is even for besides deadlifts and squats.

 

Dinner was 青椒鸡丁 (Qingjiao Jiding) which is sauteed chicken and green peppers

26fAWi9.jpg

I got the recipe for this from Ghostess so it was absolutely wonderful.

 

Tomorrow morning Ghostlet has a marching band performance and parents are invited so we will all go and watch that tomorrow.  Ghostlet has to be at school by 6:20am :o

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

we were almost out of electricity in the chapel and you can only purchase electricity on weekdays

I don't understand this, I'm sorry. Why do you mean by being out of electricity and having to purchase more? Don't you just have a contract with some company that works until you cancel it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Basically all buildings have giant batteries in the basement that have to be refilled.

Seriously?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, sixth grade physical science. We spend three weeks just on batteries. It’s a topic I know more-than-I-ever-wanted-to about.

 

Here’s a pic of a battery being delivered for a new construction.

 

f41296a8df4eab8ba8e0906f33850f96.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 6:41 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

 

There is definitely something to be said for the benefits of deadlifts

 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:35 PM, zenLara said:

I don't understand this, I'm sorry. Why do you mean by being out of electricity and having to purchase more? Don't you just have a contract with some company that works until you cancel it?

Yeah, you would think that, right?  That would certainly make sense.  The way it works here is, as you have noticed, somewhat different

 

So electricity in China is, for the most part, sold on a pre-paid basis.  The end user (whether a business or a home) is connected to the national grid through a meter.  In order to get the meter working, you have to insert a card with an embedded IC chip, which will tell the meter how much electricity it can let through.  For residential electricity purchases, the IC Cards must be taken to the bank, where they are inserted into a machine similar to an ATM that is used for charging utilities (electricity, gas, landline telephone, etc.).  once the card is in the machine, you can insert your debit card into another part of the machine which is used to actually make the purchase.  Then you take the card home and insert it into your own meter and which will then update and allow additional electricity to flow accordingly.  However, in an attempt to discourage people from wasting electricity, they put caps on the amount of electricity you can buy at one time, so you can't just go to the bank and buy a years worth of electricity in one go.  For commercial electricity, it is similar except that instead of going to the bank, you have to go to the building management office and they will have a machine there to process the IC cards.  The management office doesn't have the machines like the bank uses where you can swipe a debit card to pay, so you have to either pay with cash or make a wire transfer.  Because of our unique situation, making any kind of wire transfer is hugely complicated, so cash king, as they say.  This should be more convenient in theory, because one assumes that the people working in the building would ordinarily be there during working hours, so you could come down at any time and top off your electricity cards.   For us as a church, though, it becomes more complicated, because we are pretty much only there on Sunday, when the finance department people are very much not there.  So in order to purchase electricity, I have to go there during the week and get everything done, which is not too complicated but still takes a couple of hours to do it because of the commute time.  

 

As an interesting aside, electricity is sold by electrical units called 度电 or "electrical units".  One unit of electricity is actually 1kWh, but I have no idea why they don't use that, because they have a word for that (千瓦时).  I guess the system is to complicated and they had to do something to simplify it...

 

 

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Pre-Communist China really disliked Nikolai Tesla so they never got on the AC bandwagon. Basically all buildings have giant batteries in the basement that have to be refilled.

This is an alternate working theory that that is probably more likely than most conspiracy theories I have seen. 

 

18 hours ago, zenLara said:

Seriously?

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Trust me, I’m a science teacher.

 

I feel like it would be very educational to sit in on some of your science classes :D 

 

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Yep, sixth grade physical science. We spend three weeks just on batteries. It’s a topic I know more-than-I-ever-wanted-to about.

 

Here’s a pic of a battery being delivered for a new construction.

 

f41296a8df4eab8ba8e0906f33850f96.jpg

 

Now that you mention it, I was wondering why those things are always blocking traffic whenever the price of electricity changes.  I guess they have to swap out the old batteries for the one with more expensive electricity

 

 

Yesterday was a really long day.  In the morning we drove out to some place outside the 6th ring to see Ghostlet's drum performance.  It was the first time in the 3 years he has been doing marching band that the parents were invited to come watch.  When I was in school, the primary audience for any kid of school performance was the parents, but here they are primarily for school administrators and related government officials.  Yesterday was primarily for the the senior administrators of the university to which his school is affiliated and their government counterparts.  After that was done, we came back and had lunch with some relatives who are in town for the week to get access to the better healthcare they have here in Beijing.  In the evening we took Ghostlet for his first swimming lesson and got him all signed up for the half years worth of classes.  

 

This morning was church as usual and then now we are heading out for another dinner with the relatives before they head back out on Monday.  I will come back and do my week 0 update when we get back.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now