• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Gets Serious 2: The Seriousening

On 5/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I am planning on doing squats, deadlifts, and maybe bench press.  I think there are other main lifts that people do but I am not sure what they are.  Any suggestions on what other lifts I should do?

Barbell row.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:21 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect I am going to have to take this to the Warrior Guild soon and get some reliable advice

Even our most inexperienced guild apprentices know better than that "trainer". Definitely get a second opinion on your form and lift styles.

• Like 4

On 6/3/2019 at 1:31 AM, @mu said:

I'm just here waiting for someone to post a gif of a butt wink

* runs away * :onthego:

Image result for butt wink gif

On 6/3/2019 at 2:02 AM, zenLara said:

Not a bad week indeed.

Thanks, I can't complain about it

On 6/3/2019 at 2:08 AM, Mad Hatter said:

5RJR.gif

Haha, yeah.  That's exactly what I was talking about.  It happens every time I squat :P 

22 hours ago, raptron said:

Lots of good work for a week one. :D 

Getting things off right :) 

19 hours ago, sylph said:

So, most of the rest of what he said was garbage, but in the case of bench, there is a stylistic difference whether you are going for a powerlifting style of bench press (elbows more tucked) or a bodybuilding style of bench press (elbows more flared). Not sure how much it really matters for your average person, or whether it's simply an 'old wives tale' kind of thing, but it's a thing that gets kicked around the internet here and there.

I suspect there is probably some flexibility in how the arms are placed, but I still think that flared out so that they are pretty much parallel to the bar isn't the right way

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Barbell row.

Even our most inexperienced guild apprentices know better than that "trainer". Definitely get a second opinion on your form and lift styles.

Ah, good idea.  Definitely need to think about maybe throwing in some rows

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.  I will certainly be heading over there to get some advice, probably once I have a better idea of what kind of programming I want to do.

The last few days have been... eventful.

Yesterday I went to the park for my workout and was pretty focused on my targeted skills.  I am not sure I am getting any closer to muscle ups, but handstands were feeling pretty stable and the Russian dips I was working on as part of the muscle up transition showed some definite improvement.  I didn't get very far on pistol squats, but I did figure out why they are such a mental challenge for me.  My difficulty in them comes from weakness in holding the front leg up (I can't get it more than about 45 degrees) which takes all of my mental energy, leaving me nothing for the actual squat part.  I think I am going to have to table these for now while I work on getting my active pike strengthened.

Over the weekend, I had a long discussion with Ghostess and we have come to the conclusion that the likelihood of me finding meaningful employment in the short term is pretty much non-existent.  The Chinese government is not likely to loosen up currency controls anytime soon, and with the trade war going on things are exacerbated even further.  So long story short, we have decided that I will officially be a full time dad.  I am actually quite looking forward to not having to work anymore, but it will require some changes.  The first one is that we will no longer need our domestic helper, who has been picking up Ghostlet from school and cooking all of his meals.  So yesterday afternoon I had to have that discussion with her.  I have never enjoyed having to tell people that they are getting fired, but this was especially tough because she has been with us for almost 10 years.  The discussion turned out well in the end, because she recently became a grandmother and wanted to quit to take care of her own family, but didn't know how to bring it up to us.

This morning I was planning to runt through my MyFlex modules and then afterwards go to the trampoline park.  The modules took just over 2 hours to get through (4 modules in total) and I was surprised that there were only a few of the exercises that I found somewhat difficult or moderately challenging.  The rest were all somewhere between "almost impossible" and "WTF, I cant even..." :D It as extremely educational though, especially the part where I fully understood just how much I have been using my lower back to compensate for pretty much every movement I do.  This is going to be a really long, hard road but I think it will be extremely beneficial in the long run.  I don't think I am going to be able to do all four modules every time, so I need to come up with some kind of split. For now I am thinking pike & straddle and hip extension & shoulders.  I will give that a go and then change it up later if it is still too much.

After I was finished with my MyFlex stuff, I was too tired to go to the trampoline park, so I just stayed home and did some cleaning & organizing around the house.

Dinner was baked lemon chicken with lemon & garlic broccoli stir fry.  I think I may have forgotten to eat lunch.

z8GpqKj.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The discussion turned out well in the end, because she recently became a grandmother and wanted to quit to take care of her own family, but didn't know how to bring it up to us.

I'm glad God worked this one out in both of y'alls favor. Those types of discussions are tough, especially considering the tenure she's spent with you guys. 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It as extremely educational though, especially the part where I fully understood just how much I have been using my lower back to compensate for pretty much every movement I do.

I'd be scared myself to see how much I compensate on exercises by using my low back more than I needed....

That lemon chicken/lemon & garlic stir fry looks (and sounds) delish! Keep up the kickassery my friend :D 

Wolf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have never enjoyed having to tell people that they are getting fired, but this was especially tough because she has been with us for almost 10 years.  The discussion turned out well in the end, because she recently became a grandmother and wanted to quit to take care of her own family, but didn't know how to bring it up to us.

That's a relief. So nice the new situation works for both of you.

Sorry about the job, though. At least from what arrives here, it doesn't seem that us-china commercial relation is going to get any better soon.

Eager to see what MyFlex does for you :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

I'd be scared myself to see how much I compensate on exercises by using my low back more than I needed....

I knew I had a little, but it is really scary how much you rely on it when you force it out of the equasion

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

At least from what arrives here, it doesn't seem that us-china commercial relation is going to get any better soon.

That is my assessment as well

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

Eager to see what MyFlex does for you :)

Yeah, me too.  Some about that below

10 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

And doesn't THAT look beautiful!!!

Thanks, it was certainly tasty

I had a pretty busy morning, starting off with a workout session at the park.  I was really happy with the session, which was mostly focused on muscle ups.  I brought my resistance bands to the park and started off with the thickest (45kg resistance) and used ot to work muscle ups.  I had tried them last year using this same band but was not able to even get close.  Today I was able to throw them up without much effort and easily did 3 in a row.  After that, I shifted down to the next level (30kg resistance) and while it was more challenging I was still able to get up, although no more than 2 in a row.  It felt like the right amount of assistance so I worked a few more sets at that level and got up more often than not.  If I am still able to get multiple muscleups in a row next time, I will try shifting down to the next level (20kgs resistance) and see if I can still get up with that.  I think it was more useful as a progression that the jump muscleups I have been doing recently.  Also, I was able to do a lot better on my Russian dips.  I was not expecting to make much progress on those, but I will certainly take it :) 

After the park, I came back and did 2 MyFlex modules - Hip Extension and Shoulders.  I was not expecting any progress to happen for maybe a month or so, but when I was doing my upper back rotations and my bridges, I noticed a significant improvement from just yesterday.  I think it was more my body just getting used to the movements than any actual improvement in flexibility, but again, I'll take whatever gainz I can get :)  

My afternoon was mostly reading and then playing with Ghostlet once he got home.

I made an egg salad sandwich for dinner and then had a bunch of leftovers that didn't have much longer before they started going bad.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, WhiteGhost said:

The discussion turned out well in the end, because she recently became a grandmother and wanted to quit to take care of her own family, but didn't know how to bring it up to us.

:)

Being a full time dad is so cool! I guess that also means you'll be cooking a lot more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I noticed a significant improvement from just yesterday.  I think it was more my body just getting used to the movements than any actual improvement in flexibility, but again, I'll take whatever gainz I can get :)  

Gainz are gainz! It may be as you say that you're just getting used to it, but if you've found a better adjustment that's already progress, yes. And the base for more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

:)

Being a full time dad is so cool! I guess that also means you'll be cooking a lot more. 

I'm looking forward to it :)  And yes, more cooking.  I really need to come with a plan each week for what I want to make every day

16 hours ago, zenLara said:

Gainz are gainz! It may be as you say that you're just getting used to it, but if you've found a better adjustment that's already progress, yes. And the base for more.

I'll take whatever gains I can get.

Today was my first day at the gym on my own.  I made up my own program which I am calling 5x5x5.  It consisted of 5 sets of 5 res for 5 different lifts.  I also added some muscle up accessory lifts because why not.  Before I get into it, I have to say while I was there I sow the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life.  I always thought the concept that deadlifts were not allowed would be the pinnacle of gym idiocy but what I saw today beat that.  As I got into the squat rack, they had a big red sticker which read "absolutely no weight over 90kgs allowed"  Can you believe that?  I have not tried squatting that heavy yet, but when I do I plan to completely ignore that sticker.  Then, when I got to the deadlift machine, I discovered that it too had a no 90kg+ sticker as well.  I ignored that one for sure.

Lifting was as follows (5 reps per set):

Squats:  50  80  80  80  80

Bench:  40  50  50  50  50

Deadlift:  80  100  120  130  150 (My previous 1RM for this was 116 but that was a few years ago)

OHP:  20  24  28  32  36

Dumbbell Curl (R/L): 16/8  16/8  16/8  16/8  14/10 (My left shoulder is still not 100% and really did not like the curls, so I had to drop the weight by about half)

Muscle up accessory lifts were:

Barbell Rows:  35  50  60  50  55

Lat Pulldown (shoulder to belly):  20  23.5  23.5  23.5  23.5

Pullups:  5  5  5 (I was too gassed by the end to do the last 2 sets of pullups)

Overall I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed it.  I always figured it would be boring and monotonous just lifting things up and putting them back down again, but it felt quite good and I am looking forward to going back.

The gym was pretty empty but there was a bro who dragged a bench over and camped the entire time in the Smith machine alternating between curls and OHP which, if I understand my memes correctly, is exactly what the Smith machine is for.

The afternoon was pretty slow, mostly just reading and heating up leftovers for food.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

As I got into the squat rack, they had a big red sticker which read "absolutely no weight over 90kgs allowed"  Can you believe that?  I have not tried squatting that heavy yet, but when I do I plan to completely ignore that sticker.

As asinine as such a limitation is, It may be a good idea to find out the reason for it before ignoring it... It would be unfortunate to learn teh hard way that neither rack or safety pins can support heavier weights.

It's generally advised to split the big lifts so you're not doing the same muscles groups on the same day. So OHP and squat on Day 1, followed by bench press and deadlifts on day 2, for example. That way, your lower body isn't already exhausted when it's time for the heavy deadlifts. Up to you ultimately, of course, and you should consider your Big Why for lifting when you pick a program for the long haul. Some food for thought.

Overall I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed it.  I always figured it would be boring and monotonous just lifting things up and putting them back down again, but it felt quite good and I am looking forward to going back.

Excellent, excellent... another one joins the legion of Warriors. We will assimilate you into the collective.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

As asinine as such a limitation is, It may be a good idea to find out the reason for it before ignoring it... It would be unfortunate to learn teh hard way that neither rack or safety pins can support heavier weights.

As I was walking out, I noticed a sign on the wall of the free weights section section that started as follows:

Powerlifting Area Rules:

1. No lifting in excess of 90kgs

2. ....

When I was getting my orientation from the trainer last week, I asked why they didn't allow deadlifts or oly lifts and he said it was a decision by management that those are dangerous lifts and they don't want the liability if someone gets hurt.  I am fairly certain that the 90kg limit is not a mechanical issue.

It's generally advised to split the big lifts so you're not doing the same muscles groups on the same day. So OHP and squat on Day 1, followed by bench press and deadlifts on day 2, for example. That way, your lower body isn't already exhausted when it's time for the heavy deadlifts. Up to you ultimately, of course, and you should consider your Big Why for lifting when you pick a program for the long haul. Some food for thought.

That is interesting to know, but given that only go to the gym once a week, I have limited options on how I organize my program.  If I decide to go more frequently I will certainly look at splitting things up

Excellent, excellent... another one joins the legion of Warriors.

Let's call it more of a cultural exchange program :D 

52 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

That is interesting to know, but given that only go to the gym once a week, I have limited options on how I organize my program.  If I decide to go more frequently I will certainly look at splitting things up

Yeah, the splitting things up rule applies if you go three days per week or more often, since you want the muscles to be able to recover between workouts. If you only go once a week, then that changes things.

There is a programming subforum somewhere around here, where you can find more info if you're interested.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

There is a programming subforum somewhere around here, where you can find more info if you're interested.

Thanks.  I know where it is and will find my way there eventually.  I will be gathering some underpants in the meantime, so that I will know what questions I should be asking to make the best use of it.

First of all,

Happy Dragon Boat Festival!

home bay news 9 GIF

As it's a holiday here, I didn't do any workout.  I was originally planning to at least do my MyFlex modules for straddle & pike but I was feeling really sore from yesterday so even that didn't happen.  Instead I just enjoyed a rest day.  We were planning to take a trip to Shanxi province and even booked a hotel, but it turns out that there were no train tickets left for the entire day so we had to give it up.  Instead we planned to visit a botanical garden south of the city, but by the time we decided to do that it was already late enough that we would only get there by closing time so we decided to just go watch a movie instead.  There wasn't much showing that looked interesting, but we went with the Live Action Aladdin.  It ended up being better than I expected, but that wasn't a very high bar :D 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Link blocked for being in China :P

Has it come to that? :( 

Today was a fun day.  We went up to the North side of the city to a big mall there because they had some indoor skydiving that we wanted to try.  Traffic was really good, which was a nice surprise, although finding parking was a bit of a challenge.  When we got to the skydiving place, they told us there was a 4-5 hour wait, so we got all signed up and then and watched X-Men: Captain Marvel.  

After the movie, we went back to the skydiving place and they had already come to our number so we didn't have to wait which was nice.  It was fun, but to be honest I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting it to be a bit more exciting than it was.  I guess I should have expected it to be pretty tame seeing how the age restriction for it was 4+...

• Like 1

Really, skydiving not exciting enough? x) 

I am loving this gym adventure of yours. The 90kg thing is just.. wauw :)  and then the deadlift machine. Really? a deadlift machine? :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Has it come to that? :( 

Tariff trade war side-effect: My employer is no longer allowed to do any business at all with Chinese companies, so IT has blocked all traffic to Chinese websites.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Really, skydiving not exciting enough? x) 

I am loving this gym adventure of yours. The 90kg thing is just.. wauw :)  and then the deadlift machine. Really? a deadlift machine? :D

Indoor skydiving, not skydiving.  Basically just floating in a vertical wind tunnel.

giphy.gif

It looks like it should be tons of fun, which is why I was somewhat disappointed that it was not as thrilling as it looks.

Yep, a deadlift machine.  Next time I go I will take a video

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Wait, what?

Yep, you read that right

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Tariff trade war side-effect: My employer is no longer allowed to do any business at all with Chinese companies, so IT has blocked all traffic to Chinese websites.

That gives me the sads

Week two has now come to a close, its seriously time to check in on our progress to see how things stand

1. Exercise - I think I only got to the park twice this week, but both of those days I got in some quality time on muscle ups.  Bets of all, I feel like I am making progress again :) 

2. Flexibility - I got in only two sessions this week, but so far I think it is looks like it will be beneficial.  I quite like the hip extension and shoulder modules, but pike and straddle are super strugglebus.  Knowing that, I suspect that I am going to struggle with the latter.  Need to watch out for that and make sure I am not only doing the parts I like  

3. Cooking - I only got in one Chinese dish this week, but that was partly driven by having too many leftovers that needed to be consumed, together with the holiday weekend.  I think next week should be better seeing as how I now need to cook for Ghostlet every day

4. Sketching - I didn't sketch much this week, but I did finish up the one I was working on.   

2XuUYbL.jpg

I really like the idea @zenLara had and I think I will try and do either feet or hands next. 

• Like 5

Started out this morning with a workout session at the park, focusing mostly on muscle ups and handstands.  I feel like I am making slow but real progress on both :) 

After that, I met a friend for lunch who is in town from New Zealand and talked shop with him for a while.  Once I got back, I had some time to kill so I tried out Diablo III which came installed on my x-box (it came with 223 games) but I had never tried it before.  It was fun enough to play it some more.

Dinner I made some egg fried rice, but I wasn't really impressed with it.  Ghostlet seemed to like it though.

• Like 3

I've never played diablo but when my SO plays it I go crazy from the clicking sounds so I hate that games guts. 

Yay for the feeling of making progress :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I've never played diablo but when my SO plays it I go crazy from the clicking sounds so I hate that games guts. 

Yay for the feeling of making progress :)

Haha, yes, soooo many clicks :D 

I started out this morning with a trip to the trampoline park for Trampoline Tuesday :)  Whle I was there I worked primarily on back flips and it feels like I am making some progress there.  I was consistently landing flips from the very edge of the springs where they give the least bounce, and I even landed on off of a 2 inch thick mat (which was on regular ground.  I also spent some time on handstands and realized that although my overall time inverted hasn't really increased, my stability has gone up quite a bit.  I used to only be able to correct by moving my hands but now I am able to hold quite still by pressing through my fingers.  I also feel like I am able to pack (shrug?) my shoulders better.  Other than those, I just played around with a bunch of stuff and had fun.

When I got back from the trampoline place, I did my pike module for MyFlex which was hard.  I was originally planning to do straddle as well, but I was just too pooped.

I then played more Diablo until Ghostlet got home and then dinner tonight was mashed cucumbers with vinegar & garlic (this is a very common dish here but I don't think I have ever seen it outside of China) and short ribs made using Ghostess's secret recipe.  Both turned out very well, even earning praises from Ghostess who tried some when she got back.

8t8MwZu.jpgYUsMp4R.jpg

Also of interest, today starts the annual IWH* month so cold showers are going to be a thing for the rest of this challenge and the first half of the next one

* Involuntary Wim Hof - For some reason every year they need to fix or replace the hot water pipes.  It used to be only one week for "routine maintenance", but two years ago it year it took them a whole month because they said they needed to replace a lot of the old pipes.  Apparently they did a terrible job because they needed to replace them again last year.  I am starting to suspect that someone is using this contracting project as a way to launder money because there is no way that hot water pipes could need to replaced every year (one or twice I could see, but eventually someone would hire a competent contractor)

• Like 6

I LOVE SHORT RIBS! I've seen smashed cucumber dishes pop up more and more in food magazines and the like lately. :)

Wait, they are going to be doing this pipe project for a whole MONTH? OOf.

• Like 1

I used to play Diablo II, major time sucker :lol:

Apparently they did a terrible job because they needed to replace them again last year.  I am starting to suspect that someone is using this contracting project as a way to launder money because there is no way that hot water pipes could need to replaced every year (one or twice I could see, but eventually someone would hire a competent contractor)

Mhm yes or an easy cash cow. I remember a similar scam running in Scotland, I can't fully remember the details, but basically an item was assigned to a contractor and it ended being regular repair work and at an expensive rate too.

I also spent some time on handstands and realized that although my overall time inverted hasn't really increased, my stability has gone up quite a bit.  I used to only be able to correct by moving my hands but now I am able to hold quite still by pressing through my fingers.  I also feel like I am able to pack (shrug?) my shoulders better. 

All good signs!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, raptron said:

I LOVE SHORT RIBS! I've seen smashed cucumber dishes pop up more and more in food magazines and the like lately. :)

Wait, they are going to be doing this pipe project for a whole MONTH? OOf.

That is good, because they are awesome and take like 2 minutes to make

Yep, no hot water June 10 through July 10. :( 

19 hours ago, @mu said:

Mhm yes or an easy cash cow. I remember a similar scam running in Scotland, I can't fully remember the details, but basically an item was assigned to a contractor and it ended being regular repair work and at an expensive rate too.

Very real possibility.  Especially with the crazy kickbacks that happen here, someone is making bank from this.

Started off today with a park workout.  I originally wanted to do a light leg day, but I ended up getting sucked into the muscleups and giants that everyone else is working on.  I tried out the 20kg resistance band today and was surprised that I could get a muscle up with that.  Progress!  I also got some front giants in for the only the second time ever :) 

I thought about doing MyFlex but decided I was too tired so I skipped it.  I actually enjoyed the cold shower this morning, but I had to employ WHM breathing techniques for it.  Once I had the breathing down the rest was quite nice.  I will never like washing dishes in cold water though.  It just doesn't break down the grease the way hot water does.

Spent most of the afternoon reading and playing Diablo, and then played some indoor soccer with Ghostlet when he finished his homework.  Dinner was shredded potatoes & pork with smashed cucumbers again.  No pictures because I have already done both of them before.