• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Gets Serious 2: The Seriousening

On 6/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, WhiteGhost said:

The modules took just over 2 hours to get through (4 modules in total) and I was surprised that there were only a few of the exercises that I found somewhat difficult or moderately challenging.  The rest were all somewhere between "almost impossible" and "WTF, I cant even..." :D 

:lol::lol::lol:

Huh, deadlift machine, what even is that?

Yay for MU progress!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That is a long time to go without a hot shower. Sorry brother.

I would be more concerned about the lack of hot water for my dish washer and laundry machine... I can shower at my gym, but I am pretty sure they would not allow me to wash my dirty clothes in the hot tub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Huh, deadlift machine, what even is that?

I know, right?  I was going to get a picture of it today but I didn't go.  Next week.

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That is a long time to go without a hot shower. Sorry brother.

It is, but luckily I am not completely unprepared.  Last year I did a little bit of Wim Hof exercises and they have been super helpful

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I would be more concerned about the lack of hot water for my dish washer and laundry machine... I can shower at my gym, but I am pretty sure they would not allow me to wash my dirty clothes in the hot tub.

Yeah, me too.  I don't have a dishwasher and washing dishes in cold water just doesn't seem to cut the grease very well.  

Today was a complete rest day.  Ghostess sluffed work today so we both spent the day at home in our pajamas watching x-men movies.  Those movies don't make any sense if you try to watch them in some kind of order.  No sense of continuity at all.

30 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ghostess sluffed work today so we both spent the day at home in our pajamas watching x-men movies.

Sounds wonderful.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:13 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds wonderful.

It was great. :) 

Today was a wild ride

I started out in the morning with a workout at the park, focusing on the regular stuff like muscleups and handstands.  Nothing particularly notable other than it was a good workout.

After the workout, I got cleaned up and met a friend who wanted to talk to me about her new startup.  It turns out that she wants me to be her partner in that and gave me the whole pitch.  I'm not sure if I want to do it, but I am intrigued enough to want to know more.  So I will be spending time over then next few months working with her as a consultant to see if it is something that makes sense to do full time.

Honestly I am a bit torn.  I was looking forward to the whole full-time dad gig, but on the other hand, this position seems (at least based on what I know so far) almost tailor made for my background.  Watch this space for a bunch of angst and anxiety as I figure out what I want to do.

My evening was pretty chill.  I roped Ghostlet in to playing Diablo with me and we blew about 6 hours doing that.  The game is fun to play by myself, but playing together with Ghostlet was the best thing ever.

• Like 5

On 6/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Honestly I am a bit torn.  I was looking forward to the whole full-time dad gig, but on the other hand, this position seems (at least based on what I know so far) almost tailor made for my background.  Watch this space for a bunch of angst and anxiety as I figure out what I want to do.

I'm sure that whatever you'll choose it's going to be good.  :) Just remember that 1. it's temporary and you don't have to commit for the next decade, and 2. more opportunities will come. Either way there's plenty of time to decide if you want to work with her or not.

Congrats on becoming a GL, that's awesome! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hope you still have time for video games with all your new GUILD LEADER duties!

Oh, my.  It seems that happened :)  I can already feel the unlimited power crippling responsibility settling on my shoulders :P 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm sure that whatever you'll choose it's going to be good.  :) Just remember that 1. it's temporary and you don't have to commit for the next decade, and 2. more opportunities will come. Either way there's plenty of time to decide if you want to work with her or not.

Congrats on becoming a GL, that's awesome! 

Yep, very good things to keep in mind.  For now I am just going to work with her on a part time basis and see where it goes from there.

The last couple of days have been quite busy so I have not been around here much.  Yesterday we spent most of the morning cleaning and by the time we went to bed the entire place was sparkling 

Related image

In the evening I had a run through for today's live stream event (a marketing event for my friend's startup) which they had invited me to be a guest speaker for.  It was supposed to only be 30 minutes but ended up taking almost 3 hours to work through all of the technical issues because it was their first live stream.

This morning was our regular church services and then in the early afternoon we had a small group of members come over to our house to learn about indexing (converting historical records from photographs to searchable records) which went really well.  After that finished I jumped directly onto my livestream event.  MY friend originally asked me to talk for 15 minutes (in Chinese!) but I told her there was no way I could talk that long and asked her to knock my time allotment down to 10 minutes.  When we were actually in the livestream, though, I went for 15 minutes and was still not all the way through my prepared materials so she had to send me a note to wrap things up. I probably could have gone for another 5-10 minutes, which would make it probably the longest speech I have ever given in any language :D 

After my part of the livestream, I had to drop off to take Ghostlet to his swimming lesson.  We were almost late, but luckily got there just on time.  After we finished we were heading home and Ghostlet reminded me that I had forgotten to make him any dinner.  When I got home I threw some stuff in the fridge together for him to eat and then Ghostess got home from work just as I was getting him into bed.

I am pooped!

Today is Sunday which means another week has finished.  time to go back and take stock of how I did

Exercise - I think I made it to the park 3 times this week, which is my target.  I have been pretty good about staying mostly focused on my goals while I am there, and I seem to be making progress on both muscleups and handstands.  I have pretty much dropped pistols from my objective for this challenge because I don't think it is time yet.  Back flips are also making progress but slowly, and this weeks time spent at the trampoline park certainly helped.

Flexibility - This one was not so good.  I think I only did my stuff twice this week so I need to get back on it next week

Cooking - Cooking was a solid win.  I made Chinese food 3 times this week and they all turned out pretty good.  

Sketching - nope, I didn't even pick up my pencil this week.  Maybe I should start taking this seriously seriously :D 

Overall not bad but definite room for improvement for next week

• Like 4

Congratulations!!

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

After my part of the livestream, I had to drop off to take Ghostlet to his swimming lesson.  We were almost late, but luckily got there just on time.  After we finished we were heading home and Ghostlet reminded me that I had forgotten to make him any dinner.  When I got home I threw some stuff in the fridge together for him to eat and then Ghostess got home from work just as I was getting him into bed.

I am pooped!

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Overall not bad but definite room for improvement for next week

Keeping also in mind that you have been getting very busy since getting on with the full time dad job, it IS tiring.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 1:53 AM, @mu said:

Congratulations!!

Keeping also in mind that you have been getting very busy since getting on with the full time dad job, it IS tiring.

Yep, I am pretty lenient with my scoring anyway, but yeah, definitely tiring

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Welcome to the fold. :D 

Didn't get on here yesterday so need to do a double update

Yesterday started out with a workout in the park.  I was able to keep my focus mostly on muscleups and hand stands, but I did get some more front giants :)   My taps must be improving, because I am finding I can get much more power on my way through than I was before.  While I was working on handstands, another former gymnast gave me some advice that really clicked with me and has not only helped me to improve my stability but has given me a whole new focus to my practicing.  I have heard many times that you need to use your fingers to keep balance, but I never understood until this guy explained the dynamics of how my toes keep me upright and the difference between standing on the balls of my feet opposed to standing on my heels.  I should have probably put all of this together long before now, but once he explained it like this I feel like everything is so much more clear now.

When I got back, I did 2 MyFlex modules (hip extensions & shoulders) and then another cold shower.  I am not struggling as bad as I thought I would thanks to the Wim Hof stuff I did last year, but Ghostess is about to go crazy. 

Dinner was yakisoba

DrVvI7V.jpg

Ghostess and I thought was really good but Ghostlet grumbled about having to eat it.  I am beginning to think he is Mikey from the old Life cereal commercials

Image result for mikey likes it gif

This morning I went to the trampoline park and worked on backflips (and handstands again #handstandseveryday).  While I was there one of the workers offered to teach me some more advanced moves, so next week when I go he will start teaching me double backflips, back flips full twists and maybe wall flips.

I played some more Diablo when I got back and then helped Ghostlet with his homework when he got home.  Dinner was stir fried pork & cabbage with rice, which even Ghostlet grudging agreed was "pretty good, but not great"

Xubpte2.jpg

I really need to go catch up on what everyone else is doing

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

This morning I went to the trampoline park and worked on backflips (and handstands again #handstandseveryday).  While I was there one of the workers offered to teach me some more advanced moves, so next week when I go he will start teaching me double backflips, back flips full twists and maybe wall flips.

Very cool. :)

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Dinner was stir fried pork & cabbage with rice, which even Ghostlet grudging agreed was "pretty good, but not great"

NICE. :D

21 hours ago, raptron said:

Very cool.

I'm excited

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

how close is Ghostlet to 13?

Still about 15 months away :) 

No workout today because I left for a work meeting right after dropping Ghostlet off at school.  I have decided I am going to give this startup a go, and I met the US partners today on video conference, and then we discussed various roles and responsibilities and what I would be responsible for.  I am not going to be doing it full time, because I am still going to hold on to my dad job, but at least while he is in school I will have work to do.  I have worked in early stage companies before but never anything completely from scratch (I will be the 3rd member of the team) and at this point all we really have is a business plan.  It will be interesting to see if it takes off as we expect.

I got back in time to pick up Ghostlet from school and then helped him with his homework and then we played some indoor soccer until dinner.  Dinner was a cajun shrimp salad, but I can't get my VPN to work so I can't post a picture.

• Like 3

Today was gym day, and it was nice!  I did pretty much the same 5x5x5 workout as last time and I think it seems like a good way to go for me

The workout consisted of five reps for five sets of the following five

Squats: 70  80  90  80  80

Bench:  45  50  55  55  55

Deads:  130  150  160  160*  150

OHP:  30  40*  35  35  35

DB Curls (R/L):  16/8  16/10  16/12  16/12  14/12

* for these I only got 4 of 5 reps

I then did some muscleup accessory work in the form of:

LPD: 23.5 x5

Bent over BB rows: 50  55  55  50  50

Pullups 5x5

I took a video of the deadlift machine (this was one of the 160kg reps) but looking at the video the dynamics are clearly wrong (hands probably shouldn't be going behind the leg) and I think it will be more harmful to try and use this than if I were to completely break the rules and just use a barbell.

Animated GIF

In the afternoon I finished Diablo but I still want to pay more so I am now going through it again as a barbarian instead of a demon hunter

Dinner was egg fried rice, and this time it came out really well, much better than last time.  

kYfkzQQ.jpg

I also was able to upload my dinner from last night if anyone cares to see it

qiQNY5M.jpg

• Like 3

The deadlift machine doesn't look like a deadlift, but it does look like it engages your posterior chain well! It looks kind of like a car deadlift from strongman more than a traditional barbell deadlift. I don't think it'll do you any harm, but might have more carry-over to squats than to conventional deadlifts. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:08 PM, raptron said:

The deadlift machine doesn't look like a deadlift, but it does look like it engages your posterior chain well! It looks kind of like a car deadlift from strongman more than a traditional barbell deadlift. I don't think it'll do you any harm, but might have more carry-over to squats than to conventional deadlifts. 

Definitely a good posterior chain workout, but I think I need to get my quads to do more and my lower back to do less.  I loved the thing you shared on Insta (I don't know how to copy and show it here) about the different body parts and their attitudes.  My lowed back is definitely way too overbearing.  Even on my squats, I feel like my limiting factor is my lower back I was all "dude, you weren't even invited"

On 6/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It looks like a trap bar deadlift to me. Can you turn around and lift?

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This was gonna be my question.

I certainly could, but given that the bar is on a radial arm, it won't be going straight up and down whichever way I face, and if I turn around, the movement is quite awkward.

Today was nice.  I started out with an easy workout at the park, mostly doing muscleups and handstands (although at a reduced level because apparently lifting heavy things wears you out) and then threw in a few gymnastics things like giants, kips, and uprises just because they are fun.

In the afternoon we had had some service people come to clean and cook (this is one of the great things about living in china, these kinds of services are really cheap).  Because I didn't have to worry about dinner, Ghostlet and I spent about 6 hours playing Diablo together.  I have to say, it is really nice having a gaming partner, even if he is only allowed to play on weekends.

• Like 1

OK, challenge is seriously over so time to recap and see how things went:

Serious Exercise:  Focus on specific goals rather trying to do everything

This one went pretty well.  I still did a bunch of random stuff because it was fun, but I did spent the majority of my workout time on my focus items

1 - Muscleups: After months of feeling like I was treading water, I finally feel like I am making progress on this.  Not only progress, but I feel like I have a clear trajectory with objective milestones to measure my progress, and I am excited about pushing forward

2 - Back Flips:  I did not make as much progress as I had hoped over the month, but progress certainly happened.  In the beginning I had to jump from the edge of the trampoline which gave quite a bit of bounce and this week I was jumping from a mat over a solid bar, which give much less bounce.  Happy with the progress I have made so far.

3 - Handstands: I made much better progress here than I expected.  I have always been able to hold a handstand for a while, but I had to move my hands and walk around to do so.  With my training this challenge on using my fingers, shoulders and core to control the balance I have been able to hold for at least more than 10 seconds (I don't time them so not sure how long).  I also feel like I have specific things to focus on going forward to to improve this even more.  Consistency was a huge factor in that progress.

4 - Pistol Squats: I realized that my limiting factor here was flexibility/mobility rather than strength, so I put these on hold while I work to improve my mobility

Serious Flexibility: Stick with the MyFlex program to improve mobility/flexibility

Not as good on this one, but still did reasonably well.  I only went through the straddle module once, and the pike module 3 times, but I did the shoulders and hip extension modules 4-5 times.  Given that I only had the program for the last 2 weeks of the challenge, I think this was acceptable.  I just need to keep it up going forward

Serious Cooking: Make 2 Chinese dishes each week

I don't think I 100% hit this but I was probably pretty close.  I could go back and count if I wanted, but can't be bothered.  At any rate it went well and I am pleased with my expanding recipe book for Chinese dishes.  Also, the ones that got repeated were significantly improved over the initial try, which is also a positive trend.  

Sirius Sketching

Yeah, not so much.  I don't think I did a single sketch the entire challenge, so a big fail on this one.  Oh well, life goes on

Overall not a bad challenge.  Still haven't decided what I want to do for my next challenge, so I guess I should get thinking about that

• Like 4