• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet Runs Fast

Plans for a C25K were foiled by stupid slow traffic. Sure, the run itself is only half an hour long, but factoring in 10 minutes to catch my breath and then 15 for a shower and getting dressed again, I just didn't have time this arvo. Try again tomorrow!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Something I have been really conscious of is that I don't want to take this stuff too seriously, and I don't want my own personal rules to start affecting others. I don't want to say to friends, "No I won't come to brunch because I'm not allowed to eat before 1pm." If I can't bend or break the rules on occasion, it stops being a fun challenge I set myself and starts being a chore. 

I totally understand this. Scones are awesome. Personally, I need to take it super serious when I'm in the house (I work from home) otherwise I give myself too much slack. My brain seems to work on an all-or-nothing basis when it's just me (at all other times it's a "whatever company I'm with wants" basis). Hence yesterday's cake day. I literally just ate cake. Insane.

7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Wednesday went really well! I had yummy leftover curry for a nice warm lunch, a row of chocolate pieces when I got home and steak and salad for dinner. Also I made some delicious biscuits (by which I mean cookies) with choc chips, macadamias and candied orange peel and I did not do any taste testing! Instead I have some saved for afternoon tea today.

This is the kind of willpower I need to train myself in...

7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

But most exciting thing is that puppy and I went for a run! Didn't do a proper C25K but we did a freeform 3km with lots of running; I let him set the pace and he wanted to go fast :D I'm not feeling too worn out today so I might be able to do a C25K on my own if it's warm enough this afternoon.

I know you don't want to make this a puppy blog, but go puppy! So glad he's full of beans. C25K is pretty awesome, so go you, too :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StillStar said:

I totally understand this. Scones are awesome. Personally, I need to take it super serious when I'm in the house (I work from home) otherwise I give myself too much slack. My brain seems to work on an all-or-nothing basis when it's just me (at all other times it's a "whatever company I'm with wants" basis). Hence yesterday's cake day. I literally just ate cake. Insane.

This is the kind of willpower I need to train myself in...

Yep it's so hard to find a good balance: enough that you're not totally deprived, because that's no fun, but not so much that you start to feel gross. I'm trying to retrain myself to not want so much sugar all the time but it's not easy (constant vigilance!!)

1 hour ago, StillStar said:

I know you don't want to make this a puppy blog, but go puppy! So glad he's full of beans. C25K is pretty awesome, so go you, too :)

I'm always more than happy to talk about my puppy; it's just that chemo's a bit of a downer topic so I find I'm keeping a lot of details to myself these days. Here he is supervising construction of his new kennel last weekend :D

1341394905_2019-06-0621_20_59.thumb.jpg.5ffe0d6797627416e309ffb1d847796a.jpg

• Like 4

Lived up to the challenge title and ran fast! It was a lovely afternoon so I went for a C25K when I got home. Wednesday's zombie run was a good enough warm-up that I successfully managed Week 2 Day 3 even though I did Day 2 was about two weeks ago. Nearly didn't make it, though, so if I can't do the next one this weekend I might roll it back a bit, just to be safe.

On the other side of things, I completely failed to plan for lunch so I ended up having chips and gravy, which in Australian means this:

198301502_2019-06-0719_11_50.thumb.jpg.5e83e4d5f2ac4d48d0517efefe836191.jpg

Delicious, but not healthy. But Fiancé is planning a light dinner of salad and garlic bread, so that'll balance it out a little.

• Like 4

Weekends are hard, guys! Broke all the rules on Saturday just because I was so busy zipping around town all day running errands. Had lunch with Fiancé in the big mall in the city centre. It was a bit early since it was the only time I'd get a chance to eat, so we just went to the food court; he had Maccas but I got a nice curry. By the time I got home I was too tired for any exercise but I sure found enough energy for lots of snacks. Don't know why, but I was just ravenous.

On the upside, got a lot of little wedding stuff done. Picked up the business card for the seamstress, approved my friend's dress (and thus the colour scheme, because there's only one bridesmaid) and ordered my jewellery online. There's still loads on the to do list for the weekend!

• Like 3

In the ongoing theme of "weekends are hard", this morning the world looks like this:

798844459_2019-06-0910_18_37.thumb.jpg.15d629dfcdbad7b4cc01ba07711c8784.jpg

The kind of morning where you want to snuggle down on the couch and not move again until it's time to snuggle down in bed. Instead I made myself go for a run (photo evidence above). Filled my bottle with hot water to help fight the cold and brought my inhaler just in case.

Annoyingly, my stupid phone rebooted itself just after the first burst of running so I had to start over. So I just walked for the last burst of running because I was getting really tired by then, having done 30 per cent more exercise than planned. But now I'm satisfied I can have a cosy day indoors guilt free!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

The kind of morning where you want to snuggle down on the couch and not move again until it's time to snuggle down in bed. Instead I made myself go for a run (photo evidence above).

8 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

But now I'm satisfied I can have a cosy day indoors guilt free!

I always feel much better on cozy days like that when I do at least one active thing. Get up, have a leisurely morning, go for that run, and then snuggle down on the couch. Sounds like a lovely day, enjoy! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I always feel much better on cozy days like that when I do at least one active thing. Get up, have a leisurely morning, go for that run, and then snuggle down on the couch. Sounds like a lovely day, enjoy! 

The funny thing is, it turned into a lovely sunny day a couple of hours later. But if I hadn't gone for a run I'd be too deeply snuggled to get up and do it by the time it was nice out.

We ended up going out for lunch and a movie, so there wouldn't have been time for a later run anyway. Also Rocketman was sold out so we had to see X-Men instead, which was an earlier session, so I didn't have time to get an ice cream as planned. I guess the bad luck kind of worked in my favour, plus the movie wasn't as bad as I expected :)

• Like 3

Another reason I'm glad I got that run yesterday: rain has spoiled our morning plans. We were going to walk puppy down to the vet for his checkup and go for a further walk afterwards, but that was a no-go. Instead we drove down and then I walked him around the shopping centre whilst Fiancé got the groceries. If it clears up we might try again this afternoon.

• Like 2

Week 2 recap: Forgot to do this yesterday, but I'm seeing some improvements on Week 1!

1) IF 16:8 = 5/7

Not too bad; on Saturday it was because I had to but on Monday I had lunch early just out of boredom.

2) Snacking = 4/7

I was doing pretty well until the weekend.

3) C25K = 2

Plus one really good Zombies Run mission and a few random squats throughout the week.

4) Wedding stuff = Done

Took action! Drafted invitations, approved my friend's dress, bought a bunch of jewellery, basically smashed my to do list for the week. I have a tiara!! It's a cheap $30 one, but still...

96323628_giphy(4).gif.27a6dfe10cb31a2953d20a79aabd6382.gif

Result: Down half a kilo! Not too shabby, but once again I failed to outrun my fork (or rather, my grabby hands going for the cookie jar every time I went into the kitchen).

Plan for Week 2: Keep on keeping on. I did pretty well last week, so I'll try to do as much exercise and a bit less chocolate eating.

• Like 3

Didn't end up getting a proper walk on Monday. Had a banana smoothie for lunch, which wasn't very filling so I did end up snacking a lot to compensate. On the upside, I finally ordered our wedding invitations and RSVP cards, and drafted a message to a potential cake supplier, so that was a major win.

Tuesday is shaping up well, although it's always hard to come back to work after a long weekend. I managed to get through this morning's cheese party without eating anything and without anybody noticing. And I've already done a heap of exercise! I spent about an hour helping to haul a horde of giant hardcover books down to the basement to be disposed of and pulped. There were shelves and shelves of the darn things! So that's a whole lot of heavy lifting and squatting, and pushing and pulling the heavy trolley, which I would call a pretty well-rounded workout. Although now my work clothes are all sweaty and dusty, sure glad I wore pants today :P

• Like 2

Unsatisfied with my awesome book-schlepping workout, I also took the puppy for a run today. Or rather, I tried, but puppy was quite uncooperative. He wanted to go fast, but never in the direction I wanted. I'd already committed to doing 3.5km, so we did a weird loopy zigzag as I changed direction every time he realised we were no longer pointed homewards. Still, we managed less than 10min/km, which is a pretty good time considering.

My turn to do dinner tonight, and the TV guide is working in my favour. They've started doing HD reruns of The X-Files, and it was always on after my bedtime as a kid so I'm excited to finally get into it (I know I'm showing my age here). The timing is spot on; I can make dinner while enjoying the show and it fits nicely into my IF plan.

• Like 1

Wednesday was OK, although I did give in to a lot of chocolate cravings. Also I submitted an inquiry to a wedding cake supplier, so maybe that's why my brain was so occupied by junk food! Had lunch early out of boredom, but also we had dinner early so that evened it out a bit. Didn't have time for exercise because we went out to see Nick Offerman live, which was amazing! Definitely go see him if you get the chance, he ended the set with a sing-along of 5000 Candles in the Wind :D

This morning I'm experimenting with tea, because I ran out of milk and can't be arsed to go get more. I learnt that I still don't really like tea without it, but at least I tried. Next challenge I might have a go at eliminating tea altogether because technically I'm cheating on IF by having it in the mornings but lately I've been too bored and too cold to care (it warms me up and gives me something to do).

• Like 1

Managed a C25K just now, but only just!  My tights kept slipping down, which was very annoying and meant I had try and run whilst grabbing hold of the waistband. Probably looked like a nutter but at least I didn't accidentally flash anyone! Plus focusing on staying decent distracted me a bit from how exhausting it was. Even so, my lungs gave up on me during two of the six bouts of running so I did the sensible thing and slowed to a walk a few seconds early. I'm so ready for winter to be over already!

• Like 1

Dinner was a tad late on Thursday, but that's fine. Fiancé hasn't quite twigged that you can't just walk away from a stir fry to do stuff on the computer, and you need to start cooking the rice way earlier *facepalm* Bless him, he's learning. It was pretty damn delicious, though.

Having a rough morning so I might take it easy today. Plus I ought to rest my legs after yesterday's killer run anyway.

• Like 1

Today's exercise was me getting lost at work. It's a really big building (it takes half an hour just to do a lap of the perimeter) and I had to go to a part of it I'd never used before so I probably did a few thousand more steps than usual today.

Been eating pretty well today. I had a late lunch due to a busy morning and I'm ensuring dinner will be on time. Had a kitkat and a hot chocolate earlier but that's it as far as snacks.

In other news, it's been an exciting day for wedding stuff! The invitations and RSVPs arrived, even though I apparently put the wrong postcode on my address. Luckily there are no typos on the invitations themselves! Plus I heard from the cake company and they've accepted. I'll pick up a sample box on Friday and throw the snacking rule out the window to taste all the amazing cakes :D:D

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, StillStar said:

Well done for sticking with the C25k! And hooray for cake :)

I'm not very regular about it; you're supposed to do three runs a week and I do maybe one or two. So I haven't levelled up to Week 3 runs yet (also you have to pay to unlock those and I need to find my password to do that :P). But it's not like I'm in a hurry. I'm not training for a deadline or anything, it's just fun to be able to go fast. So if it takes all year to do an eight-week program, so be it. But the funny thing is, even though it feels like I'm not improving, the last C25K I did was my fastest one yet! 

Not gonna lie, I'm really excited about cake! Also I heard from the lady making my flowers (gorgeous artificial ones) and they'll be shipped soon. There's heaps happening but the to do list still looms!

• Like 2

It's been a busy Saturday. Got up early to do some experimenting. Thinking of using cookie jars as centrepieces/table numbers/favours, so I baked some biscuits (only taste-tested one) and played around with some crafty stuff as a proof of concept. Pretty pleased with the result, although I'll need to use less sticky tape and more finesse next time:

1056874997_2019-06-1513_51_26.thumb.jpg.4b9499c9a058ef207f64728b8b69145c.jpg

Also went for a C25K and did pretty well. If I were smarter I'd have gone earlier in the day when the air was warmer and more asthma-friendly. Even so, I managed to do all the running stints without an early surrender.

• Like 2

Mmmm cookie jar centerpiece.  You've been making such good wedding and C25k progress. I know you say you aren't doing the amount you should be doing a week but I'm amazed at the amount you are doing consistently and very proud. Obviously it's paying off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rookie said:

Mmmm cookie jar centerpiece.  You've been making such good wedding and C25k progress. I know you say you aren't doing the amount you should be doing a week but I'm amazed at the amount you are doing consistently and very proud. Obviously it's paying off. 

Thanks! It's just that childish mindset of, "I made an effort today! Why am I not instantly 5kg lighter!?" Obviously I know that's not how real life works, especially when there's a jar of fresh chocolate bickies on the kitchen counter ;) I do appreciate the progress I've made, though! 

Also I'm totally smashing the wedding stuff right now! Got all the invites and RSVPs from my side of the guest list ready to start handing out. Fiancé can do his side himself! 

rJoYOGh.gif.2c9efa132d37652c5284a4ba801b619a.gif

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks! It's just that childish mindset of, "I made an effort today! Why am I not instantly 5kg lighter!?" Obviously I know that's not how real life works, especially when there's a jar of fresh chocolate bickies on the kitchen counter ;) I do appreciate the progress I've made, though! 

Also I'm totally smashing the wedding stuff right now! Got all the invites and RSVPs from my side of the guest list ready to start handing out. Fiancé can do his side himself! 

rJoYOGh.gif.2c9efa132d37652c5284a4ba801b619a.gif

Yassss girl get it! I was very hands on help with my one friends wedding.. I think it was last year or the year before haha. So much effort! But so worth it. I like doing those sort of things haha. But it can easily get overwhelming

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rookie said:

Yassss girl get it! I was very hands on help with my one friends wedding.. I think it was last year or the year before haha. So much effort! But so worth it. I like doing those sort of things haha. But it can easily get overwhelming

Yep there's a lot of work to do but it's starting to come together. I did the rest of them on Sunday night. I quite like those sorts of repetitive tasks where you get a production line going so I was really in the zone!

Otherwise Sunday was pretty uneventful. We ate very well in order to offset the McDonald's we had for dinner on Saturday, but I did have a few of those biscuits I made. Took puppy for a nice gentle walk.

I also had a clothes shopping win: after trying on a dress I had to go back and get a smaller size! Now it's possible that I just misjudged it based on H&M's bizzaro European size labels, but I prefer to think that it's because I'm slowly slimming down and getting more confident in form-fitting clothes ;)

• Like 2

Week 3 recap: Feeling pretty good about things.

1) IF 16:8 = 6/7

On that one day I was only half an hour off schedule!

2) Snacking = ?/7

Oops, totally forgot to track this, but off the top of my head I think I did pretty well.

3) C25K = 2

Plus a nice walk and a decent jog, and a whole lot of lifting on Tuesday.

4) Wedding stuff = Awesome

Ordered invitations and RSVPs, put them together with stamped, self-addressed return envelopes and even posted a few. Started talking to the cake people. Submitted application to enter the US for the honeymoon.

Result: Down just over a kilo! I'm finally headed in the right direction again, and back under 75kg (165lb). It feels good!

Plan for Week 4: Buy the full version of C25K so I can go past Week 2, and then try not to asphyxiate when attempting Week 3. A few nights are blocked out with dinner plans, but it'd be nice to get one more run in before the end of the challenge.

Also, it's time to get strict with IF. I've been cheating by starting my work days with a nice cup of tea (loaded with milk and sugar). It's not much, but it does break the fast, and by doing it properly I think I will really get the benefits of fasting. Plus I'll have to drink a lot more plain water to compensate, which can only be good for me in this nasty dry winter.

• Like 1