• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Press to handstand cont.

Yeah classes would be awesome. I don't dare getting too excited yet, I'll wait for a spot to be confirmed!

16 hours ago, raptron said:

Sorry you bumped your knee but impressed you have magical gels to apply to fix it. :D

Hue hue, let aside my poor gardening skills, I do have some druid tendencies.

Talking about garden stuff, our rose bush is not doing too well and the chives are infested by pest. I went to a garden shop to ask for advice, got bio products to get rid of the pest and cleaned the balcony area. Apparently the rose bush got infested by a red spider that just sucked the life out of it. I have to apply this treatment once a week. Let's see.

Monday

Daily Persian? YES (Shahnameh)

Tuesday

Press to HS & misc

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

The cat woke me up at 5:30... I had breakfast, prepped my food for lunch, trained, showered, and now I have nearly 1/2h to kill before I go to my first day at work. I love training early in the morning, seriously it feels so good.

Press to HS went well, a little bit of fear but really nothing compared to last week (maybe because brain was half asleep :D ). I pressed from chair, stool and chair again. And HS consistency was much better too: 19/25. I noticed some CHANGE: my left arm is getting stiller :) It still wants to rotate in/out (or bend) but I'm getting better at locking it. And when it's properly locked, maintaining elevation is much more doable and my line is looking better too.

A happy morning basically!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, @mu said:

The cat woke me up at 5:30

This is why I don't have a cat :P 

On the other hand, Ghostlet got up at 6:30 this morning for no reason, so... :D 

• Haha 1

Wow, love this thread!  You are becoming a master of the extremely awesome bodyweight exercise :)

Love the flexibility work and the amazing handstands.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Oh you were definitely due a good HS day, glad you got it :)

I hope your first work day went just as well! 

• Like 1

A quick update because with the new job, I'm too tired for updates later in the day! I'm late catching up with threads.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:13 AM, mediaguy99 said:

Wow, love this thread!  You are becoming a master of the extremely awesome bodyweight exercise :)

Love the flexibility work and the amazing handstands.  Thank you for sharing!

Hiya, cheers! Thanks for passing by!

Tuesday

First day at work! Mostly OS / dev environment setup and meetings. My head is full! People are very warm and friendly, so far so good.

Wednesday

Today was supposed to be rest day but I decided to do back-bends and rest on Friday when I expect to be quite fried. I did some extra work on my sling to get warmer quicker and start getting a bit more pull in my training week.

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian is mostly happening in the evening before bed, mostly in bed in fact. These past few days, I didn't last long. I try to read at least 2 full pages though and I read out loud, that's a nice exercise too and that way I don't fall asleep on it...

Thursday

Today is custom P2.

In the morning? Not yet but coming soon

Daily Persian? Not yet

I'm feeling my quads from the more regular daily biking... ouch. My lazy devil twin is thinking about an electric device. But I'm resisting that thought (budget, yet another energy consuming thing, and after all I am now getting some proper leg training!).

Job is going well so far. People are friendly. I have had a lot of meetings so far (admin / product / tech). But I started digging into their existing code a wee bit + getting info for the API I will be developing (first demo due mid-July). But it would be nice if I could get a few hours straight without meetings!

• Like 3

Glad to hear it’s been a welcoming environment :) 

are the many meetings just a part of getting started or would that be a regular thing?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm feeling my quads from the more regular daily biking... ouch. My lazy devil twin is thinking about an electric device. But I'm resisting that thought (budget, yet another energy consuming thing, and after all I am now getting some proper leg training!).

Yes for more leg training! :D Bring more snacks to fuel it though. 

14 hours ago, @mu said:

Job is going well so far. People are friendly. I have had a lot of meetings so far (admin / product / tech). But I started digging into their existing code a wee bit + getting info for the API I will be developing (first demo due mid-July). But it would be nice if I could get a few hours straight without meetings!

You'll make it through! 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, KB Girl said:

Glad to hear it’s been a welcoming environment :) 

are the many meetings just a part of getting started or would that be a regular thing?

A bit of both I think. I'm part of a team working on an entirely new product that has a fair amount of external dependencies. At this stage, everybody needs to be in the loop, and there are a lot of loops basically :D 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:08 PM, raptron said:

Yes for more leg training! :D Bring more snacks to fuel it though. 

Yes BUT. :DYou probably all guessed from my challenges that I'm not a cardio person at all. This is tough. It's so much harder than waking up early to do 1h30 of parallettes training before work.

Thursday

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

P2 went ok, I had one good lever spin. In HS lowers I tried to work on managing a couple of mini reps for balance. The so so bit was lever → straddle transitions.

I also had a HS consistency session => 18/25. I mostly focused on locking my left arm and jumping over my hips with more precision.

Friday

REST day - good call on the swap with Wednesday because I was fried!

Daily Persian? NOPE, too tired, honestly I'm totally excusing myself on that one

Saturday

It was supposed to be press to HS but I am just too exhausted mentally and physically My quads are on fire seriously, my brain is working with a slight overflow and I haven't slept enough this week. I will see tomorrow if I can do both press to HS + some endurance work.

In the morning? NO, did not happen at all

Daily Persian? Not yet, but about to.

• Like 1

Not sleeping enough is killer, so I hope you get a lot of quality rest! 

On a hopeful note- one thing I've learned about cardio is that you can train it up REAL fast.. so hopefully you'll be laughing about how hard it was in just a few weeks? :)

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Not sleeping enough is killer, so I hope you get a lot of quality rest! 

On a hopeful note- one thing I've learned about cardio is that you can train it up REAL fast.. so hopefully you'll be laughing about how hard it was in just a few weeks? :)

I HOPE!! it's good for me to work my quads because they are and have always been on the weak side compared to say my hamstrings (when I was powerlifting,  my sumo deadlift was basically twice my squat...). But it hurts... :sorrow:

I managed to catch up with sleep a little bit. Not fully but it's some improvement.

Saturday

Sunday

Press 2 HS + HS endurance + misc (Cirque Physio / ball / double pull & alignment work)

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

Today's session was super nice. I took my time, that's always lovely. And I got in with rather low expectations because I'm still a bit tired and quads are still crying....But it went actually ok - letting aside my legs because indeed I had a hard time straightening them. Basically my whole lower body was pretty floppy. I still got on with it. It was not too bad considering!

For elevated press I did chair, then stool and chair again. Stool level was not good, I managed some but it was not pretty (just brute-forcing it). On chair though, I managed to press decently and do reps (coming down a bit above chair level and back up). It's the first time I manage to do this in handstand. I can do them very fluently and full range in headstand (it's mostly abs right) but doing them in handstand has always felt very very far away. So they were not super nice etc, I went a bit fast, piked at the top and obviously the ROM was limited, BUT I'm very happy to manage this first step.

I'm still shuffling about with my setup because it's still a bit far away and that makes the floating step a bit harder, but I have some fear when I start with hands closer to the chair or stool...

In circuit conditioning, I only did 1 round instead of my usual 2 or 3. Took it a bit easy, I think it's ok given my week 1 at work + bike commute (part of the conditioning involves quads :sorrow: )

In endurance, my first one was 30s just like that :D then I struggled a bit and ended on a 43s one. I felt a bit more cranial pressure than usual and earlier as well (seeing little lights in front of my eyes, that sort of things).

And in inverted alignment (silks) I took a video, and saw that again what I assumed to be my neutral position is actually slightly protracted. The alignment on silks is a bit different from HS, in neutral I should actually have a little bit of retraction to activate the back properly (cue is show the boobs). But in HS I have to pull the ribs in. So I get a little confused.

Anyway. Lovely session. I really enjoyed it.

Here is a wee log video of press from chair with reps and a bad rep from the stool - that one is awful on technique, I'm just including it for entertainment purposes :D And also because you remember, I had that very nice rep on the stool, the one that was featured on IG? Well I haven't been able to reproduce it really (beginner's luck?). It looked almost easy? but the clip below is more in line with what my training with the stool usually looks like. It's hard. Don't believe IG :D

• Like 2

Very impressive video, the stool part wasn't even a complete flop! Glad you had another good session :)

It's so cool watching you get closer and closer to the press to handstand :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Very impressive video, the stool part wasn't even a complete flop! Glad you had another good session :)

It's so cool watching you get closer and closer to the press to handstand :)

Cheers! It's not a total flop but it's not good. I'll keep to the chair for a while.

Sunday (continued)

~ Week review ~

/* Challenge Log */

Morning: 4/6 5/6 5/5
Persian: 5/7 7/7 7/7
Cardboard: DONE!

Persian is going well. I'm not reading much but it's better than nothing and I'm enjoying my daily Shahnameh read before sleep. It's very calming :lol:

Training: did all of it in the morning but in 5 days rather than 6. I will keep that option open (having an extra rest day). I will definitely move back-bends to Wed. Back in Iran I had my rest day in the middle of the week (which is Monday over there and Wed here) but I think the end of the work week will be much better here.

Monday

Hips day!

In the morning? YES

Hamstrings curls and pistol squats progressions were a bit tough but doable. I feared stretching because quads are unhappy but it felt ok actually.

Biking was ok. There is a steep section near the sheep's green that I really loathe. It's not long but it's hard. I tried to concentrate on other stuff while my quads were crying agains. Like the flowers' colours, blue, yellow, pink, purple, blue, yellow, blue! I think I even spoke out loud :D 

The way back felt a little wee bit more doable than usual, maybe. I have hope :D

Tuesday

Press 2 HS + HS consistency

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

Press was ok, I struggled a bit more than usual with shoulder flexion.

And then in HS consistency, on the first set a very sharp pain came up in my right shoulder :huh: only at some angle while externally rotating I think. It was so sharp that I preferred to stop. I will see how it goes next time. I'm ok otherwise, I can use my shoulder, move it about, I don't feel a thing. It came up only during kick up and while adjusting during the hold (sounds like a twist under load thingy).

Otherwise I registered with the Circus school! Yihaa! There was space left! In both aerial and interdisciplinary :)

Of course I will have to adjust my current training schedule but I have time to think about it, classes won't start before mid-September. And I have no idea how it will feel like in terms of load. For sure, it will hurt for a while :D

I AM VERY EXCITED!

Work is also going well so far. Nice environment, I know what I have to do, it's clear, when I have questions, I get answers. So far so good let's say.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, @mu said:

And then in HS consistency, on the first set a very sharp pain came up in my right shoulder :huh: only at some angle while externally rotating I think. It was so sharp that I preferred to stop. I will see how it goes next time. I'm ok otherwise, I can use my shoulder, move it about, I don't feel a thing. It came up only during kick up and while adjusting during the hold (sounds like a twist under load thingy).

Oh, weird. Hope it's very temporary! 

2 hours ago, @mu said:

Otherwise I registered with the Circus school! Yihaa! There was space left! In both aerial and interdisciplinary :)

YES!!!

2 hours ago, @mu said:

Work is also going well so far. Nice environment, I know what I have to do, it's clear, when I have questions, I get answers. So far so good let's say.

That is a very good thing in an work environment! 

• Like 1

WHEEEEE CIRCUS SCHOOOL!!!! 

I'm sure that your quads will get used to the load soon. :) 

Happy that work is going well!

• Like 1

Oops big backlog of updates to do. Challenge is going ok but I'm struggling quite hard with coding sprees! Sleep is getting sparse again. And generally speaking, time feels like a very strange dimension. I'll just update here and then catch up with threads later on today. I just finished press to HS, need to shower and go to the market with E.

Tuesday ctd

Daily Persian? Oops nope

Coding spree in the evening... which I had absolutely no need for. I went to bed very late, the cat still woke me up at 5:30am...

Wednesday

Back-bends but I was tired, stiff and ouch ...quads... not the best session.

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? YES

Thursday

P2 custom + HS consistency

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? YES (Khabar online, Shahnameh)

I managed 2 lever spins going to the left, I helped myself with my chin on the opposite pbar (or with my mouth :lol: the survival kiss). But feet are not touching the floor! On the right side, I managed just one.

HS consistency: sharp pain was gone but very pikey session: 15/25

Got a flat tire on my way back from work.... Bike is going to be repaired some time next week (the chain also needs work). I'm using E's bike for now.

Friday

Rest.

Daily Persian? YES

Too much coding again.

Saturday

Rest

Daily Persian? YES

We went shopping for some clothes / shoes.

Spoiler

Re-clothing and stuff / Iran, I still have odd reflexes at times, it's actually a bit embarrassing... Like I'll search for a scarf around my neck to cover my head in specific contexts. Then I realise I don't need to. And fortunately I'm not wearing any scarf around my neck, so I'm not actually putting anything over my head because that would weird people out I think. I find it pretty awkward myself even though I know where it's coming from.  I'm not particularly keen on covering my head AT ALL you know, so it's a purely externally enforced habit and it's crazy to see how much my brain has internalized it.

Then we walked around in a park with art installations, stuff for kids, hammocks hanged between trees and people lazing about. I really like this city :D

And then I started coding around ~5pm until... 2am. That was a bit mad but I'm no where near trying to fight it because I just love it too much. It's hard. Sunday I need to go to bed EARLY.

Sunday

Press to HS + misc (Cirque Physio, ball, pull) + HS endurance

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

Press to HS was ok. More press for reps from chair. 1 okayish rep on stool.

HS endurance: best at 52s but form wise, the one I did in the 30s range was better than that longer one.

I still feel that I have moderate control over my legs these days.

• Like 1

~ Week review ~

/* Challenge Log */

Morning:   4/6 5/6 5/5 5/5
Persian:   5/7 7/7 7/7 6/7
Cardboard: DONE!

Morning training: check!

Daily Persian is ok, just missed one.

This pattern of 5 days practice instead of 6 is a good switch for now. I have a longer session on Sunday when I have time / don't need to rush. It's not supposed to affect what I do in my training, the load is just distributed differently. However I had 1 HS consistency cancelled this week because of shoulder pain (That seems to have gone away, touching wood). Press to HS

is going at its own pace, probably on the slower side but that's fine.

It's very nice to have an extra day (Sat) with absolutely no todos on it as I get used to a new rhythm. It's a bit odd because I have been unemployed for a little while and it didn't feel like freedom to have a big day for myself. But now it certainly does :)

E.'s bike is much lighter and my commute has improved a lot! I possibly improved myself a little bit as well but the weight of the bike is very significant! The other bit I'm enjoying is the ride back from work because I can pedal the whole day out and empty my brain. It's quite nice.

Monday

Hips! and legs

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

• Like 3

Monday Ctd

Daily Persian? Yes (still Shahnameh)

Tuesday

Press to HS + HS deload. It's DELOAD week!

In the morning? YES

Daily Persian? Not yet

Still working on reps from chair. I don't need to shuffle with my setup because I'm pressing back from free standing, the goal is to increase my ROM → going lower, pressing back from lower.

HS deload: I worked on jump press to HS to L-sit, got some nice ones with legs almost straight. Tried to stadler and erm,I totally frogged it at the bottom (bent legs + bent arms).

And I also did 1 banana rep, very light: HS to small arch with straight legs in straddle and back to straight. I still don't control back to straight like I do on elbows. I stopped there because it's deload and shoulders need a breather really.

• Like 3

That CONTROL on the lower! Seriously so impressed with your progress on your handstand skills!

Bike weight makes such a difference - it was life-changing when I got a proper commuter bike back when I was biking to and from work (~10 miles / 16 km each way - it got to be too much on top of dance stuff). New job still going well?

On 6/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, @mu said:

We went shopping for some clothes / shoes.

Hide contents

Re-clothing and stuff / Iran, I still have odd reflexes at times, it's actually a bit embarrassing... Like I'll search for a scarf around my neck to cover my head in specific contexts. Then I realise I don't need to. And fortunately I'm not wearing any scarf around my neck, so I'm not actually putting anything over my head because that would weird people out I think. I find it pretty awkward myself even though I know where it's coming from.  I'm not particularly keen on covering my head AT ALL you know, so it's a purely externally enforced habit and it's crazy to see how much my brain has internalized it.

Very interesting.  I'm curious about what kind of situation/context would trigger it (if you don't mind sharing)

On 6/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, @mu said:

It's very nice to have an extra day (Sat) with absolutely no todos on it as I get used to a new rhythm. It's a bit odd because I have been unemployed for a little while and it didn't feel like freedom to have a big day for myself. But now it certainly does :)

This is one my biggest concerns about going to work is how much less free time I will have

On 6/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

That CONTROL on the lower! Seriously so impressed with your progress on your handstand skills!

Bike weight makes such a difference - it was life-changing when I got a proper commuter bike back when I was biking to and from work (~10 miles / 16 km each way - it got to be too much on top of dance stuff). New job still going well?

16km ouch! I think I'm about 5km away from work and hear how hard I'm crying :hopelessness::D My commute has improved though, quads are still grumpy but I find it quite exhilarating these days.

Yes job is going well so far! I had a check with both the project manager and the R&D manager, it's going well. I can demo something earlier than expected.

Of course, I have been coding a lot on my own time.... It's not a rhythm that would be sustainable long term and I will let them know it's new job's excitement if they haven't realised that yet (I'm sure they do). The environment is really really nice and friendly I have to say. I'm very happy, may it last as the mother of Napoleon used to say :D 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:45 PM, raptron said:

What a smooth transition to your l-sit. :D 

Cheers :D it's getting a bit more consistent too! Full press will take a while though.

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Very interesting.  I'm curious about what kind of situation/context would trigger it (if you don't mind sharing)

Spoiler

Yes, basically whenever I meet a man I haven't seen before while I'm in a private or semi-private space (like work/my courtyard but not in the streets for instance)..... That's not as strict as Sharia law where a woman is supposed to be covered in front of a man she is “haram”  to. For me that would be every man except my husband, my father and my father-in-law (and brothers/sons but I don't have any).  You are not supposed to touch / shake hands either. And that would apply both in private and public spaces.

However most of my personal xp in Iran was not that strict (keeping in mind that I lived in Tehran in mostly liberal environments). It's just that the first time I would meet a man I would have to assess first if he was the “relaxed” type or not. Apart from some of my in-laws who are more religious, or our landlord for instance (conservative elderly I'd say rather than religious), most people I met were pretty cool about the dress code thing. As a foreigner, I was also given a lot of slack, compared to say Iranian women. Totally unfair but that's the truth.

Sometimes you also have religious/conservative people who made that choice for their own life but are not bothered by what you do. It will depend also if the space you are meeting in is public or not, if people around are likely to care or not. So it's not a black and white easy decision tree at all. You get used to evaluating situations a lot and very quickly.

It's quite fascinating actually because people do a lot of monitoring and also give signs away very quickly if they are on the religious/conservative side.

For instance a man would salute me by bringing his hand to his heart, meaning hello but I'm not gonna take your hand so leave it where it is otherwise it's going to get a little embarrassing for both of us.

Sometimes there is an hesitation meaning the man doesn't mind at all but he himself is trying to assess if you are ok with it (it's not just men dictating this situation although of course the framework is generally speaking ultra-patriarchal), and you are hesitating as well because you are in the same evaluation process :D

Then if you are meeting a married couple, they are also signs to watch for. Eg how strict a hejab the woman is wearing etc..

Social cues, you know, that define how you will interact (whether the context is sharia law or something else).

So, to sum it up, I got used to be careful/conservative on the first encounter just in case, especially if I'm in a private / semi-private space. In Iran, if I'm in a public space, my head is already covered so I don't need to think about it.  But if, say, a delivery man rings the bell when I'm at home, I'll "want" to grab something to put on my head/shoulders.

At my previous workplace, they had a code on speakers to let women know when a stranger came in, specifically if it was the not "relaxed" type (eg a government official, somebody from a traditional community etc.). Then we would all cover up...A bit like a little theatre play... Actually theatre rehearsals were the same. If we were just between us, we were free... if somebody came in or if we had to take a picture for public consumption, we'd cover up... It's a bit mental sometimes, it means a huge gap sometimes between public vs private spaces.

This is the bit sticking with me right now.

Tuesday ctd

Daily Persian? Yes – I finished the Rostam and Sohrab story yo.

Wednesday

Back-bends

In the morning? NOPE! In the evening

Daily Persian? not yet

In the morning I was not feeling it. And I thought the day might be a skip but I came back early from work, watched some European gymnastics runs and felt motivated :D  (lolz) I was also very warm (weather is getting hot) so it was actually quite nice to do bendy stuff. I enjoyed it!