Teros 54: Phoenix Begins

Teros

So the bulk of what I wanted to get done, I was able to.

I CAUGHT THE MOUSE.  I have named him Caesar and I drove off a few miles and set him free.  As I was starting to watch E3 that night, I saw a black scurrying: there's another mouse.  I set up the trap right then and there and was able to catch him earlier today.  I dropped him off a couple miles away as well.  As soon as I got home from work today, I went through the small side drawer that was used for plastic garbage bags.  I saw mouse crap there so I flushed the whole area out.  Two garbage bags later and another mouse nest was destroyed.  There's literally nowhere else that I haven't gone through with the exception of my mom's closet which my sister is supposed to go through.

Progress on the upstairs FINAL PHASE is going pretty good.  First coat of the edging is done in the living room, as well as two coats of paint.  In another day or two, I'll touch up the edges again and the living room is FUCKING DONE.

I'm going to prep the hallway/dining room with the painter's tape tonight and probably do the first coat of the top half of the walls (There is a wooden border that runs along the wall about belly-button height).  I want to make the top half and bottom half be different colors, but also match each other as well as match the living room.  I think I should be done with the living room/dining room/hallway all by this weekend and then I can show some awesome before and after pictures of what I've been working on for like 2+ damn months.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

Curious of your new hairstyle, story you are going to write and now wondering what's up with the Wii...

+

On 6/8/2019 at 6:48 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Me too! Do you have Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom on your Wii? :D and how do you like your hair?

Never heard of that - I don't have any Wii Shop downloaded games.  I want to see if it still works so I can possibly trade it in.  I think I'm done with the previous gen.  I have a ps3, xbox360, and wii and I don't play them at all.  I think it's time to upgrade.

As for the hairstyle.... Welp... I wanted to do something different.  A quick Hair story:

Back before I was on NF in my mid-20s, I ended up accidentally buzzing my head.  I used a beard+moustache trimmer to have a crew cut.  But I forgot to snap the length attachment one day when I got distracted so I ended up shaving a patch bald on the side of my head.  That turned into 5ish years of shaving my head.  Then a couple months before I discovered NF, I noticed all of my friends were going bald and yet here I am with plenty of hair but you'd never know since I shave it.  I decided to grow my hair out.  I ended up turning into Hagrid (I can upload a pic if anyone wants to see).  Then when Project Phoenix was started, I trimmed that beard and head hair down.  I did dreadlocks for about a year, tried feathering it, styling it, different lengths, etc.  Before I trim my hair down to medium length, I wanted one last hurrah for hairstyles to try and there weren't many left.

That brings me to last week.  I didn't know how it as going to go but I said to myself, 'Fuck it, let's try it out' and I got cornrows.  I was iffy on how they looked so when I went into work last week, I put on my batman baseball cap.  Margarita (the receptionist) noticed the little rows sticking out of the back of my cap and wanted to see, egging me on.  I flashed the hat off and she was shocked and happy and said I looked good. A couple of the people from the office who were having a meeting overheard and then they wanted to see.

So here I am, the only white person in a group of 8 and I took off my hat... And everyone fucking loved it.  I really didn't expect things to go that way.  Fast-forward to the start of my shift and for the next 8 hours, a couple of the residents would ask to see and I would show it and they would say I looked fucking awesome.  I was told over the course of the night that between shaving the sides and cornrowing the middle, that I looked:

'Tight'

'Have swag'

'Boss'

'Clean'

'Sharp'

These guys are NOT the polite type of people: they'll tell you if something looks or sounds stupid and I was showered with compliments from literally 30 people over that evening which honestly kind of blew me away.  One of the guys wanted to know where I got them done because they looked good so I let him know about how Tanisha hooked me up.  Cornrows on a white guy might be a rare look to pull off but based on the overwhelming feedback, I *can* pull it off.  What is also nice is the price and how long they last.  Originally, google said that cornrows last 5 weeks and cost 50-100 bucks.  After getting them done by Tanisha, she told me that mine should last about 2-3 weeks and I only had to pay $25.  So it was way less risk/more reward than I was expecting.  I mean, if these sucked and I spent 100 bucks and had to wear a hat for over a month, that would have SUCKED.

I was also told by Tanisha that you don't really wash cornrows.  Fuck that.  I washed my beard with shampoo and then smushed the suds into my rows and then ran a lot of water over them and smushed them again.  The cornrows are kind of like sponges and they soaked up the shampoo and then soaked up the water.  After washing them, holy shit they feel good.  It's like cotton ropes lined along my head. And with the little bit of frizz from the cornrows spreading out, it makes my entire head have that fuzzy short-hair dog kind of feeling when I pet my head.  Seriously - this was a GREAT idea.  I'll have them for another week or so and then the washing of my hair and general scratching will eventually have the corn rows start to fall apart so I can unbraid it myself pretty easy when it starts to look less 'sharp/clean/boss'.  I deem this experiment a huge success.  And after the cornrows unravel, I can do my next-to-last hairstyle...

• Like 6

Corn rows, that is interesting and glad it turned out fantastic! Can understand why the woman brought up not washing the corn rows.

Since with observing my boyfriend and his roommate, both Nigerian they have a while different game when it comes to taking care of their skin and hair.... Made me thankful on how low maintenance my long locks are  and the lack of variety in hygiene products for all types of hair and skim types... Having soft hair from a normal shampoo could be different results from others, that could lead to icky fuzziness. 

Makes sense on the games.... Can understand why you stopped playing.

• Like 2

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

On 6/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom was kinda like a text adventure game with pictures.

Interesting.  Have you watched any of E3 this week?  There's a Crypt of the Necrodancer game coming out that's Zelda-based.

I'm looking forward to the next to last hairstyle.

It's more based on styling than anything else so I'll see how it goes in about a week or so.

Hagrid Hair

About 2 years.  I tried a 'yeard' (grow a beard, untouched, for a year' and it was insane after about 8 months.  Idk what would have happened if I did the whole year.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

different game when it comes to taking care of their skin and hair.

Yeah I get ashy but I never use lotion because it feels greasy.  I used cocoa butter yesterday for the first time in like....6+ months and I feel better. I just need to force myself to take care of myself, if that makes sense.

Haven't posted the big list in a bit so here's where I'm at right now:

1 - Wash all of my mom's laundry (30+ loads).

2 - Pack all the clothes into the bureaus.

3 - Start pack-sorting the Deck - One blue container will be for papers.  One container will be for items.  Throw away any trash.

4 - Pack-Sort the Living Room

5 - Move sister's food storage out of the Side-Room.

6 - Dedicate the Side-Room for mom's stuff.  Dedicate mom's room for furniture.

7 - Pack-sort the bathroom.

8 - Pack-sort the kitchen.

9 - Pack-sort the dining room.

10 - Pack-sort the side-room.

11 - *Tough* Pack-sort mom's' room.

12 - Once all rooms have been packed and sorted, start to pull all furniture out of the side-room and fill the room with boxed mom-stuff.

13 - Vacuum.

14 - Move all the furniture to mom's room.

15 - Bag all of the clothes to get donated.

16 - Floor cleanup - Sweep the deck, kitchen, bathroom.  Swiffer wetjet the deck, kitchen, bathroom.

17  - Vacuum living room, dining room, hallway.

18 - Rent a rug doctor and steam-clean the living room, dining room, hallway.

19 - After sister goes through mom's stuff that I already pack-sorted, steam-clean the side-room.

20 - After furniture gets posted and sold, steam-clean mom's room.

21 - Dishes.....so many dishes....

22 - Wash the kitchen counters.

23 - Wash the bathroom counter.

24 - Pack away all the bathroom supplies.

25 - Sort all the bottles of cleaners and chemicals.

26 - Wash the walls.

27 - Sweep up all the mouse crap/nest from under the kitchen sink.

28 - Wash under the kitchen sink.

29 - Take all the silverware out of the two main drawers.

30 - Wash all the silverware.

31 - Wash all the towels.

32 - Sort through all the towels and keep a set number.

33 - Donate the towels.

34 - Donate other blankets.

35 - Move all the decoration stuff into the bathroom tub.

36 - Take down all the pictures and sort them.

37 - Dining room set swap with sister.

38 - Sort all the pots and pans.

39 - Sort the medicine chest.

40 - Pick out paints for the rooms.

41 - Catch all the mice

42 - Prime the living room

43 - Paint first coat living room

44 - Paint second coat living room

45 - Edgework living room

46 - Prime the hallway/dining room

47 - Paint the first coat TOP hallway/dining room

48 - Paint the second coat TOP hallway/dining room

49 - Edgework TOP hallway/dining room

50 - Paint the first coat BOTTOM hallway/dining room

51 - Paint the second coat BOTTOM hallway/dining room

52 - Edgework BOTTOM hallway/dining room

53 - Wash the deck

54 - Paint the deck

55 - Wash the kitchen

56 - Paint the kitchen

57 - Wash the bathroom

58 - Paint the bathroom

59 - Move furniture into living room

60 - Decorate living room

61 - Move furniture into dining room

62 - Decorate dining room

63 - Move art supplies to deck

64 - Side-Room?

65 - Big-Room?

This weekend, #59, 60, 61, 62 will be done.  #53, 54, 57, and 58 will be started but I'm not sure how far I'll get.  The plan was to get this ENTIRE list done by the end of the challenge and it's looking like it will be super fucking close.

In other news, I discovered that unsweetened chocolate almond milk + frozen bananas = best chocolate milkshake I've had in a long time.  Going to experiment with this by adding almond butter and/or protein powder.

• Like 5
On 6/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Teros said:

Hagrid Hair

About 2 years.  I tried a 'yeard' (grow a beard, untouched, for a year' and it was insane after about 8 months.  Idk what would have happened if I did the whole year.

How I will forever remember you (unless I see you in person again ;)  )

ilbKuYj.jpg

I'm in serious awe over how much you've gotten done of your list!!

• Like 5

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 6/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Teros said:

Yeah I get ashy but I never use lotion because it feels greasy.  I used cocoa butter yesterday for the first time in like....6+ months and I feel better. I just need to force myself to take care of myself, if that makes sense.

Aww, this makes sense. I tried a bunch of oils in the past, and they personally didn't put a dent in my dryness. Glad you see it helping a bit! More than understand forcing to take care of oneself, especially when you can get by without it (for me getting by means me tearing at my skin when I'm sleeping or normal day). 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Teros said:

This weekend, #59, 60, 61, 62 will be done.  #53, 54, 57, and 58 will be started but I'm not sure how far I'll get.  The plan was to get this ENTIRE list done by the end of the challenge and it's looking like it will be super fucking close.

The weekend went by super fast for me, else I would have been here sooner. How did the list go? 

• Like 1

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

On 6/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, RES said:

I'm in serious awe over how much you've gotten done of your list!!

Gotten even more done!

You look so adorable.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

How did the list go? 

Pretty good!

--

So I ended up fully decorating the living room and dining room.  I moved the two loveseats upstairs.  I set up all of the pictures that I was able to snag from the old closed cafe and it all looks really good together.  I put together a footstool and a small end table, got a loveseat cover for one of the love seats, and I've started the deck.

For the deck, I washed all the walls and swept the floor.  There was old painter's tape still stuck on from the last time it was painted over a decade ago.  It would flake off in little bits so I was picking and picking and picking away for a while until I tried using the rough end of a sponge to scrub and the paint started caking up and coming off of the 7 windows.  I started doing that and then I used wet-wipes to wash the floor down.  Then it was time to start painting.  I got a couple of the small paint samples and then I was going color by color and putting smatterings of paint all over the room.  It ended up getting waaaay too humid and the paint was still damp so I had to stop about halfway into the paint process.  Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish it, as well as start hitting up the gym, I think. 

Whole30 is going pretty damn good.  Now that I got over the initial ridiculous cravings, paired with the almond milk banana smoothies if I want something tasty; I'm able to stick with it pretty easy now.  I like this a lot.  I think I can sustain this.  I'm ready to fucking kick ass finally when it comes to my health.

Today I had some green beans with beef strips and Ms Dash table seasoning blend along with some V8 blueberry pomegranate juice.  I made some really good food yesterday while I was painting: sausage, scallops, bell peppers, onions, smoked spanish paprika, turmeric, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, 2 juiced limes, and a can of coconut cream.  HOOOO-boy it was good.  It was so packed with flavor that I need to make something bland like cauliflower to pour this spicy smokey sauce on top of.  I experimented and adding protein powder to the almond-milkshake works pretty well.  Chocolate-almond-banana-protein shake needs a better name for it.

I hereby dumb my whole30 almond butter-protein-chocolate almond-milkshake to be called:  Reece's Bomb.  Ok, I need to hurry up and finish getting ready for work.  Wednesdays are my doubles so I'll be back home after 11pm tonight and when I get home I'll make a Reece's Bomb.

• Like 4

So I'm doing fucking great.  I think next challenge I'm going to post the pictures.  Making a new thread tomorrow, but first a quick recap:

I did a metric fuckton of cleaning and sorting.

Whole30 is going strong still and I feel a lot better. I'm ready to start hitting the gym and getting serious about my workouts, which is what my next challenge is going to be about.

I have mini-projects left and a bunch of white trim to do.

With the art room set up, my plan is to finish the windows and trim, and then set up an AC so I can do art stuff while I'm comfortable.  I'm seriously looking forward to it.

• Like 8
19 hours ago, Teros said:

So I'm doing fucking great

This is the greatest thing I've read today!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda