CJL Joins the Rangers and Gets Going

CJL

After experiencing some success with my 1st challenge I have decided to get join up with the Rangers Guild and start a new one.  Here are my goals for this coming challenge.

Get Healthy: In order to get healthy, I need to lose some weight (about 140 lbs), and the best way (for me) to lose weight has been monitoring my calories.  In this challenge, I will stay under my target calorie goal for the day - every day.

Get Strong: I have been following the Stronglifts 5x5 program and I need to keep at it with greater consistency.   I will do my Stronglifts workout 3 times each week.

Get Outside: One of my long term fitness goals is to complete a GoRuck challenge.  In order to start working on that I bought a backpack, which I now need to use.  In this challenge, I will go for at least 2 rucks a week.

Bonus Life Quest

Get Off the Phone: I have been wasting too much time on my phone while at home recently, which I need to stop doing.  I have downloaded and set up an app on my phone blocking everything but essential communications.  I will engage the app when I get home and leave it running until at least 8 PM daily.

• Like 6

Get Healthy: 4 of 35    Get Strong: 1 of 15    Get Outside: 1 of 10   Get Off the Phone: 4 of 35

My Challenge                            Past Challenges: 1

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.”  ― Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Hello CJL!

I'll follow you along for a bit.  welcome to the rangers.

how much are you going to ruck (weight wise) and how far are the hikes/walks?

I'm kind of finishing up a big hiking challenge/program.  I kind of think of my program as more "backpacking"/"hiking"... but really any one that is hiking with a weighted pack of stuff they don't need is basically rucking.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

41 minutes ago, TGP said:

how much are you going to ruck (weight wise) and how far are the hikes/walks?

I am going to be starting with a 10 lb weight in my rucks and slowly work my way up.  I have 2 national park trail heads within a mile of my house, 1 is about 2 miles and the other is 4 miles - I would like to do each trail once per week.  As I build up my strength and conditioning levels, I plan to extend those distances.

• Like 2

Get Healthy: 4 of 35    Get Strong: 1 of 15    Get Outside: 1 of 10   Get Off the Phone: 4 of 35

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.”  ― Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Recap for Monday May 20

Get Healthy: I ate a sensibly today and stayed in my calorie window for the day.

Get Strong: I got in my Stronglifts for the day - squats, bench press, and rows.  The weights felt easy and I got through without much struggle.

Get Outside: I didn't ruck today.  My plan is for a ruck tomorrow (Tuesday) and either Saturday/Sunday depending on what the family decides to do for Memorial Day.

Get of the Phone: I engaged my App blocker before getting out of the car, plugged the phone in, and didn't mess with it til 8:15.

Overall, I am happy with my start of the challenge.  On to Day 2!

• Like 4

Welcome to The Rangers, we're very glad to have you here :) Nice work on day one, you crushed it! 

• Thanks 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Update for Tuesday May 21

Get Healthy: Calories were tracked and I stayed on target for the day.

Get Strong: Today was a designated rest day - no lifting.

Get Outside: I had planned to get out for a 2 mile ruck today, but Mother Nature said "No!".  Hopefully, I will get some dry weather Thursday and I can get out then.

Get Off the Phone: I locked up the apps on my phone before getting out of the car and left it on the charger until the little one went to bed.

I am glad that I kept up with the diet and phone on Day 2, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get outside.

• Like 4

Hi!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Updates for Wednesday & Thursday May 22 & 23

Get Healthy: Successful tracking and staying within calorie goals both days.  Yay!!!

Get Strong: I didn't get any lifting done Wednesday or Thursday, due to a combination of over scheduling after-work activities on Wednesday and getting the opportunity to enjoy some outdoor time with my family on the only day of the week without rain.

Get Outdoors: I went on a walk around the neighborhood with my wife and daughter while wearing my ruck pack.  Having to chase a 2 year old with no fear and limitless energy around the neighborhood while wearing a weighted pack is quite the workout.

Get Off the Phone: I am having success with this as well.  I just engage my app blocking app before getting out of the car and the phone stays put away until bedtime rolls around.

• Like 3

Great work so far; keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, CJL said:

Get Outdoors: I went on a walk around the neighborhood with my wife and daughter while wearing my ruck pack.  Having to chase a 2 year old with no fear and limitless energy around the neighborhood while wearing a weighted pack is quite the workout.

Kids are Great for workouts (in limited amounts of time ofc)

I remember "baby" pushups  (you have her/him sit on your back and add a few pounds to your manly pushups)....  my Daughter LOVED them.

ha! 

I should remind her of them (if she even remembers)... she's 19 now!

how time goes by

anyways. thats a solid win to get family time AND some workout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

I hope you're having a great week!

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

Hi!  How's it going?

KBO. - Churchill

On 5/20/2019 at 1:15 PM, CJL said:

I am going to be starting with a 10 lb weight in my rucks and slowly work my way up.  I have 2 national park trail heads within a mile of my house, 1 is about 2 miles and the other is 4 miles - I would like to do each trail once per week.  As I build up my strength and conditioning levels, I plan to extend those distances.

Ooh, hiking sounds like so much fun! Have you been able to get on any of those trails? Back pack or not? 

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Happy Tuesday!  :-D

KBO. - Churchill

I hope you're having a great week!

KBO. - Churchill