• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Settling Back into Routines (or "Routines")

Ok, I had a LOT going on the past challenge (Easter, dance competition in Boston, projects ramping up at work, start of allergy season and getting sick) and this challenge will be kinda similar - I move apartments this weekend, take a final exam for grad school next week, travel to Austin the first half of next weekend, have Dallas pride the second half, and then probably want to host a housewarming party (or two) sometime in June (two because I have a pretty large group of dance studio friends, plus a pretty large group of other friends - and my apartment is not *that* big). That being said, I'm less trying to make big changes and more trying to maintain some routines (or "routines") that worked well for me in the past. I'm tinkering with them a bit, but roughly, the routines I'll be trying to maintain are below. I'll be reporting out based on successfully doing some semblance of the routine to set the habit, and probably also logging workouts as they happen and talking about the good and the bad of dance training (hopefully, mostly the good).

Oh, and I've sort of fallen into some semblance of a cut that I'll be attempting to keep going - not really tracking, just trying to generally eat the meals I've prepped / planned that have a good mix of veggies, leanish protein, whole grains, and mostly unsaturated fat sources, plus keeping treats infrequent enough that they feel like treats and not habits (or at least attempting to do that last bit). I'll eat extra if I feel hungry (helps that I always have cereal on hand for an extra bowl of carby goodness in the evening), since I know my energy expenditure from teaching, morning conditioning, and my own dance training can be hard to predict a priori (e.g. some classes, I'll be demoing full out for my kiddos - others, I'm just standing there chatting; same for practice, sometimes we're just doing rep after rep til our shirts are soaked through, other times we're revisiting and setting little details).

Morning, at home (will also try to maintain some semblance of this):

• Wake up, weigh in
  • Pray (~5 minutes)
  • Do a quick workout (20-40 minutes, upper body strength or Pilates / ankle prehab or general mobility / prehab, depending on the day and my energy level)
  • Make coffee and breakfast (breakfast will probably be a fruity green smoothie for the summer season)
  • Shower and get dressed for the day

Morning, at work:

• Put phone in airplane mode (and leave it there until lunch break)
  • Check in with sprint plan (make it each Monday) and the day's schedule
  • Commit to 1-2 concrete deliverables on my whiteboard to focus my work on for the day
  • Put headphones on and get to work

Dance teaching:

• Change clothes, set intention / make general plan for my sessions
  • Socialize with students / parents / teachers until it's time to starrt

Dance training: 

• Change clothes, set focus for the training session
  • Do mobility / pillar strength warmup (including balance / posture drills)
  • Warm up dance basics
  • Get to work, with minimal phone distractions

Evening Wind Down:

• Empty out bags, wash any dishes
  • Set out anything needed for the next day
  • Eat a nice relaxed dinner / evening snack, if applicable
  • Optional reading / Netflix time, if it's early enough
  • Do evening grooming to get ready for bed
  • Set lights dim, stretch to soft music to wind down for the evening (optional: light a candle to make it feel extra cozy / relaxing)
  • Like 8

I like how you're laying out the parts of your day as if it were an outline. It is very logical and should help you stay consistent. Best of luck with the move! 

• Thanks 1

So: move, exam, travel, pride, party. Sounds busy but good! And your schedule looks detailed but still flexible because you haven't put specific times. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JessFit said:

I like how you're laying out the parts of your day as if it were an outline. It is very logical and should help you stay consistent. Best of luck with the move! 

That's the hope - just plug and play these bad boys and see if good stuff happens! And thank you - fingers crossed all goes well with it!

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

So: move, exam, travel, pride, party. Sounds busy but good! And your schedule looks detailed but still flexible because you haven't put specific times. Good luck!

Yep - lots going on, but almost all exciting!! And mercifully non-specific!

15 hours ago, RedStone said:

oooo the move cometh!! Are you ready?? :D Excited for you friend

Almost! Still need to buy the champagne for my pizza and champagne night haha! And maybe pack up some things that I don't want movers to touch (e.g. a binder full of credit cards, plus some of the suuuuuper delicate and precious things).

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Following! So many exciting things happeniiiing!

Yay, and welcome!

8 hours ago, @mu said:

In!

Woo! Welcome!

Week 0, Day 1:

Workday morning: Didn't have my alarm set, so I had to omit my workout totally and hustle a bit to make it by 9-ish - not ideal, but sometimes that's how life rolls. And I still had a chance to make pancakes with leftover batter from the weekend - nothing wrong with a chocolate chip protein pancake topped with raspberry preserves to make a work Monday feel special! :D Work was ok, if not amazing - I think I'm realizing that I need to embrace my ADHD (still not diagnosed, but working on finding a provider) and experiment until I find ways to make my office analytical work feel highly stimulating enough that just doing the thing can become my default, the way that a highly stimulating dance practice has me nearly totally focused for hours at a time. This "embrace yourself as you are, rather than beating yourself up for who you're not" mindset was partly prompted by a podcast I've been binging ("By the Book" - basically two best friends try to live by a different self help book for two weeks at a time and talk about their experiences) and an offhand comment made by one of the hosts with whom I really identify about her own process of doing exactly that as she came into her own in adulthood.

Dance, teaching and practice: Did pretty well here - I was in a very spontaneous, roll with it mindset and I just let that keep going; it helps that there's a general structure to my Latin class (for baby beginners) that I sloooooowly tack a little more onto each day - but I'm proud of how I ran class, and that's what counts. Ballroom class, we spontaneously did a review game where a student demonstrated a figure, then their classmates had to name the figure - and whoever named it was next up to demonstrate. I'm FOR SURE keeping it around and using it often, because so many of my kiddos struggled to name and demonstrate figures in their exams last time - not gonna happen again if I can help it! Then segued into practice - partner and I were able to fix some clunky spots in Cha Cha and Samba based on rounds yesterday. The general theme: we need to try less hard on some sections and then they magically feel and look better! :lol: And then worked a bit on getting our Jive up and running - we got the second half of the choreography on Friday, so it's still very much a problem child for us, but it's coming along slowly. Didn't do amazing on my desired routines here, but did pretty well!

Evening wind down: Did basically everything according to "plan," in spite of coming home late - and found that turning more of my apartment lights on, then turning them off when it was really time to stretch and wind down seemed to help. I'm still experimenting, but think I may be on to something with that!

Miscellaneous move stuff: Had to call my new apartment complex three separate times yesterday - once to say "hey, send me the lease paperwork to sign." Second time: "hey, you're charging me for a pet I don't have on this lease." Third time: "hey, the rent amount is $10 higher on this lease than what I applied and got approved for." Cannot wait for this moving process to be done, so I can stop with these "fun" phone calls!

General thing: I'm realizing that without tracked data, I could very easily lose track of how quickly things are changing in a lot of areas of my life - I weighed in at 165# this morning and thought "wow, I've been at this weight for a couple weeks now" - check daily weigh-in tracker, and nope, it's exactly one week ago today that I first weighed in at this weight (a pretty big drop off from a week prior). I didn't necessarily want to numerically track this challenge, but I might track number of times each routine was implemented to help me see how often it's really happening, since this is some convincing data that I'm bad at judging frequency without the tracking (may or may not report the data here).

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

embrace yourself as you are, rather than beating yourself up for who you're not

I think this is a very good mindset to have. It looks like you're being very mindful of just a ton of stuff in your life. It's interesting to see how analytical of an approach you take to so many things. I completely agree about the tracking thing too, something I'm also trying to do more of.

• Thanks 1

Dang, what a well thought out plan for your days. Stupid moving details and things to figure out. It'll be nice when you're done! Final stretch. :) 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, JessFit said:

Moving is such a struggle, I'm so sorry! 

Thanks - I *think* this is the result of turnover / a new person ramping up, or maybe this leasing office is just a bit of a shitshow with paperwork (I get the sense that their corporate overlords may have picked the cheapest prospect management system rather than the most effective - so not entirely the agents' fault!). But it's all getting handled, just waiting on the final contract to come across for me now.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, Deckard Gainz said:

I think this is a very good mindset to have. It looks like you're being very mindful of just a ton of stuff in your life. It's interesting to see how analytical of an approach you take to so many things. I completely agree about the tracking thing too, something I'm also trying to do more of.

Thank you - it helps that I'm naturally prone to analyzing and navel gazing, arguably to almost too deep of an extreme. But it does lead to some good introspection and insights!

On 5/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

here :) 

Willkommen! :)

32 minutes ago, raptron said:

Dang, what a well thought out plan for your days.

Thank you thank you! I've had some semblance of a lot of these routines for a while, but codifying them as ways I've found that work well for me definitely seems to help with me consistently doing them.

Stupid moving details and things to figure out. It'll be nice when you're done!

For sure - and we're closing in on the home stretch. I'm excited to live closer to my social life too, I have three separate evening activities this week that are 15 minutes closer to my new place than my old place!

Final stretch. :) 

:D :D almost to pizza and champagne time! (New move-in tradition I'm planning to start, thanks to the suggestion of @JessFit and @RedStone).

Week 0, Day 2:

Morning at home: Pretty much exactly according to plan, in spite of a light on sleep night. Made it downstairs for a quick rings session with some accessory work and it felt good to push myself a bit on the strength front.

Morning at work: I did most of my things, then promptly ended up on the forums. More iteration needed to find a better habit there. I was more aware throughout the workday of my brain chasing down dopamine fixes because it wasn't feeling stimulated enough - I'm not yet sure what I'll be able to do with the information, but one of the things I'm planning to do today is use some of my free time to ideate ways I can work with my squirrel brain and design my environment to better work with how I function.

Dance teaching: I used my clothes-changing time to set an intention for teaching and it went really well - I felt great about how I rolled with stuff while teaching, and I kept a good demeanor while making some mistakes dancing competition simulations with the kiddos.

Evening at home: Pretty much followed to the letter - starting with brighter lights and dimming over the course of stretching is definitely helping me feel ready for bed (along with putting the dang phone down and away).

Other stuff: Had a really time grabbing drinks and some bar munchies with a guy yesterday after teaching dance - and we were close to my new neighborhood, another reason I should be excited to move closer to downtown (even though he lives in Ft. Worth, the next city over). It was a late night though, so I'm dragging a bit today - my body does not do well on low sleep two nights in a row, clearly! Totally worth it, though, this guy was really fun to chat with and had a great sense of humor (plus a great smile :))

Time to keep on chugging along!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I did most of my things, then promptly ended up on the forums.

I know that feeling. Messages from warrior nerds are acorns unto me. 

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Other stuff: Had a really time grabbing drinks and some bar munchies with a guy yesterday after teaching dance - and we were close to my new neighborhood, another reason I should be excited to move closer to downtown (even though he lives in Ft. Worth, the next city over). It was a late night though, so I'm dragging a bit today - my body does not do well on low sleep two nights in a row, clearly! Totally worth it, though, this guy was really fun to chat with and had a great sense of humor (plus a great smile :))

Waiiiiit. Is this the nice nerdy guy from before, or a new nice guy? How many cuties have you got lined up, anyhow? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Waiiiiit. Is this the nice nerdy guy from before, or a new nice guy? How many cuties have you got lined up, anyhow? 

All of them, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Love the routines and the set-up for success as you prepare for another crazy month. Especially love that you seem to be in such a positive place with both dance teaching and dance practice!!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, Harriet said:

I know that feeling. Messages from warrior nerds are acorns unto me. 

I feel you there!

On 5/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, Harriet said:

Different guy - nerdy guy is still in the picture, but this guy and I had chatted forever ago, then things sort of fell off. But he reached out again this past weekend, he was gonna be near my area, and we made a first meet up for drinks happen!

On 5/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, Grumble said:

All of them, obviously.

^What he said. And by that, I mean there are like, 2 or 3 prospects at any given moment. Because I do NOT have the free time to have much more than that kicking around.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, raptron said:

giphy.gif

BAHAHAHAHA I don't even know what this is from but it's perfect.

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

Love the routines and the set-up for success as you prepare for another crazy month. Especially love that you seem to be in such a positive place with both dance teaching and dance practice!!!

Thank you thank you! And yes, it's been really great and consoling to know that I've found something work-wise that I'm truly passionate about - just need to remember that anytime the work that pays for dancing gets a little rough (thankfully, .

Week 0, Days 3 and 4: It's been a rough couple days - I slid into a bit of sickness (swollen tonsils, some feverish feelings, not feeling great all around) but fortunately tested negative for strep on the initial swab and work's been SUPER understanding with me taking time to really rest and recover (also, the strep test was totally free at our onsite clinic) - minus me needing to come in to run an all-hands meeting yesterday (thank GOD for lozenges haha).

Morning routine at home: Haven't always been doing the prayer / meditation, and I notice that I AM less focused when I skip it. I guess I am just mounting up evidence for why I REALLY need to make sure I make time for it. Also been skipping workouts while sick, which I feel ZERO guilt about because recovering is an important activity for long-term health and the rings and parallettes will be there for me when I'm not feeling rough health-wise.

Morning routine at work: Haven't been following it exactly and think I need more experimentation here, but I have had some mindful moments where I notice that I'm actively avoiding starting on a project, but then once I start I notice that the dopamine hits just keep flowing for my brain. 

Evening routine: A bit on hiatus when feeling sick - although still using the gradual reduction of lights as a way to help the wind down. I had some AWFUL chills last night, so I kinda skipped my stretching and grooming to try and heat myself up enough to beat the chills with lots of blankets, a heating pad, and warm clothes.

Dance stuff: Did my best to keep my head on straight for practice Wednesday night, despite the sickness feeling. And partner was thankfully patient and understanding with me being at waaaay less than 100%.

Miscellany:

• I'm very grateful for my work - being able to stay home and rest rather than trying to power through working in the office while feeling crummy is really great
  • I went to a talk and exhibit on the house of Dior's fashion designs yesterday at the local art museum with some friends; things I learned: I think high fashion is self-absorbed and impractical; and I'm kind of an imp when let loose in an exhibit that I'm not bought into - I really liked some things and really made fun of others
  • I picked up the keys for my new place today! Movers come tomorrow, but it turns out that I already have a washer and dryer at the new place - just need to verify that they work properly and I can set up a pickup for my old set that was on their last legs. Not ideal to incur another $$ expense, but not the end of the world. And I'm really excited to start getting settled in at the new place - it feels way more open in the living space and I'm excited to start arranging things and seeing where things shake out (and use moving as a chance to reevaluate some of the piles of crap that have built up in my home currently - especially in my bathroom cabinets).
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Morning routine at home: Haven't always been doing the prayer / meditation, and I notice that I AM less focused when I skip it. I guess I am just mounting up evidence for why I REALLY need to make sure I make time for it. Also been skipping workouts while sick, which I feel ZERO guilt about because recovering is an important activity for long-term health and the rings and parallettes will be there for me when I'm not feeling rough health-wise.

Morning routine at work: Haven't been following it exactly and think I need more experimentation here, but I have had some mindful moments where I notice that I'm actively avoiding starting on a project, but then once I start I notice that the dopamine hits just keep flowing for my brain. 

Awesome that you're collecting data to motivate you! I hope you feel better soon! Rest and recovery and warm blankets are good. 
giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce82b0c3052575373

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drive by update:

- No longer sick and feeling pretty great!

- Mostly moved from old place to new - just need to do some last touch ups to consider myself fully moved out; settling in and getting rid of what’s not staging long term will take an additional bit

- Excited to head to Austin this weekend and dance with my kiddos and maybe see some friends while I’m there

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Drive by update:

- No longer sick and feeling pretty great!

Congratulations! Everything becomes a bit easier when we're healthy!

• Like 1

Congrats on new flat!!! :cheerful: And feeling better!

Looks like the move went smoothly.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 1:59 PM, scalyfreak said:

Congratulations! Everything becomes a bit easier when we're healthy!

For freaking sure!

On 5/30/2019 at 2:52 PM, @mu said:

Congrats on new flat!!! :cheerful: And feeling better!

:D thank you thank you!! It feels great to be just "peak allergy season" levels of non-functioning and not "OMG I'm dying" levels now. And I'm loving the new flat.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:52 PM, @mu said:

Looks like the move went smoothly.

HAHAHAHAHA it very much did not, but thankfully I have great friends to keep me sane and make up for terrible hired help. :D more story time on the movers coming at a later date. Fortunately, I love my new flat, love the location, and 

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Glad you are feeling better! How was the dance weekend?

Really good! Kiddos had fun, I mostly had fun, I put my foot down and said no to letting a fellow teacher drive back with me and take me an hour round trip out of my way.

Instagram post from the weekend as well, complete with fancy hotel and the cheesiest of cheeseball smiles:

I need to get back to actually working today, but I'll have a proper update soon-ish on how week 1 went. One thing that's really slipped from my routines (besides morning routines being non-existent while I settle into a new place) is that I haven't been stretching in the evenings at all and my body's starting to drop some hints that it'd like that to come back. SO, putting it here for accountability, I will stretch every evening it's practical for the rest of the week (i.e. if I'm already falling asleep when I arrive home, stretching can be skipped as I flop towards the bed).

• Like 3