• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Settling Back into Routines (or "Routines")

Ok, as promised, some details about moving week.

First, the good:

• I LOVE my new place - the location is super close to a buncha bars (I'm at the end of the main nightlife strip in Dallas' gayborhood) AND right across the street from a library branch. Plus I can bike or walk to a buncha coffee shops and it's still ~20 minutes away from work so I'm not going insane from the commute. I'm pretty sure this bodes well for me having more of a social life in general. Also, the actual apartment feels WAY bigger and brighter than my old place (which wasn't bad to begin with) and I'm really liking how it's shaping up now that I've got all my furniture where I think I want it. I'll do some sort of pictures or a video tour at some point since I'm sure my mom will want to see how it looks (and obviously @RedStone does too :P)
  • The training week with my dance partner went really well - we started getting our last routine up and running (we've only been given about half the choreography so far, but I'm real excited about it, and especially excited just to have all 5 Latin routines really ticking along). Plus we had good conversations about what we're both craving in practice so that we can feel like they're always productive.
  • I got to do some social stuff with friends in between all the moving craziness - friend's birthday party Saturday night, couple hang outs with other friends, and grabbing dinner with my dance partner after practice / teaching (which we were able to walk to from my place, because I live in a walkable neighborhood again - I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm really excited that I can walk places again)
  • Like mentioned previously, the dance competition with the kiddos was super fun. I didn't do a ton of Austin stuff while I was there, but I did stop for kolache on the way down and back and now have well-tested opinions about my favorite sweet options at the Czech Stop. I also got some time to sit outside and read by the pool deck in between competition craziness, which was really lovely
  • I let myself do the bare minimum for a pass/fail grad school class - as soon as I passed, I stopped stressing about homework, lecture exercises, or the final exam. I didn't feel like I got a ton out of this semester's class, but the next (and final) one for my program is all about machine learning models in the language I'm starting to learn for work, so theoretically this one should be a lot more useful! Fingers crossed - it starts next Monday, so I'll be back on my schoolwork grind real soon.

And the not so good:

• My movers were the WORST:
    • They showed up with 2 people instead of the 3 I reserved; as a result, the job took them nearly 6 hours and they didn't even accomplish everything
    • I reserved a full packing service, and they didn't show up with enough boxes or packing material to actually pack everything from my place
    • One of the two guys was really struggling - he dropped a couple things that I saw and left several things behind in the elevator of my old complex; he also may have broken my IKEA TV stand (though I was planning to donate it anyhow, so not that big a deal)
    • Of the stuff left behind, a large potted fern and my laundry hamper both disappeared - thankfully, my cheap lamp with an expensive smart bulb in it and the dirty clothes that were in the hamper were left behind (Silver F***ING lining, as @JessFit would say). But seriously, WHO NEEDS A HAMPER SO BADLY THAT THEY TAKE ONE THAT'S SIX YEARS OLD AND KIND OF GROSS???
    • Thankfully, I have some really great friends to vent to and keep me sane AND one even helped me move a very full carload
  • I took my car in for service on Thursday, and it turns out I needed some expensive repairs on the spot, plus there's an EXPENSIVE repair coming down the line that I'll need to save up for (it will keep my car from passing a state inspection, so the repair can only be put off until September of this year). The total is still less than 12 months of car payments would be by enough that I'm still considering it worth it to get the repairs vs replace the vehicle, but I can tell I'm inching closer to the day that I'm on the car shopping market (my car is approaching 12 years old and 150,000 miles, so it's put in a good life of service for my parents and me)
  • I completely fell out of my morning habits, unsurprisingly given that my flat was in chaos for most of the past week - and I also completely fell out of the habit of stretching in the evenings; big goal for this week is to get back into those routines, along with my good routines at work and at the dance studio
  • Like 5

Ouch... sorry about the bad moving service! And the car. Car repairs can take on a life of their own if you're not careful...

But you love your new home, so it was all worth it, right? :)

• Like 1

Yay for the spacious well-lit walkable library cafe bar place! Walking is the best. And libraries are good, too, as I have learned. 

Oooh, those movers sound dodgy. Glad you're all sorted now, though. So, uh, someone stole your pot plant, eh? That's pretty low. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Ouch... sorry about the bad moving service! And the car. Car repairs can take on a life of their own if you're not careful...

Yuuup. Thankfully, I have a really strong financial position so I'm not in a position where car repairs are crowding out anything necessary (though they might delay some fun lifestyle upgrade / inflation purchases I've been eyeing, like a soundbar / smart speaker for my living room TV and a fancy schmancy drip coffee maker for work day mornings).

34 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

But you love your new home, so it was all worth it, right? :)

:) yes indeed!! And soon, the painful move will be a distant, distant memory.

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yay for the spacious well-lit walkable library cafe bar place! Walking is the best. And libraries are good, too, as I have learned. 

Yuuuup - all the good things here. Only thing that could make it better is if the grocery store across the street was a Trader Joe's instead of a Kroger.

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, those movers sound dodgy. Glad you're all sorted now, though. So, uh, someone stole your pot plant, eh? That's pretty low. 

Yup, not the best experience at all. In defense of the "thief," I think they honestly assumed that the stuff was left out as trash and just helped themselves. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe.

• Like 2

I love gayborhoods! I wish we had one here, I'd move in a heartbeat. Thankfully my whole town is super LGBTQIA+ friendly so we queers are just kinda everywhere. I hope to hear lots of amazingness of the new 'hood and apartment. I'm sorry the movers were butts, at least they left your clothes behind! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JessFit said:

I love gayborhoods! I wish we had one here, I'd move in a heartbeat. Thankfully my whole town is super LGBTQIA+ friendly so we queers are just kinda everywhere. I hope to hear lots of amazingness of the new 'hood and apartment. I'm sorry the movers were butts, at least they left your clothes behind! 

That is really great! Dallas has been pretty open and accepting in my experience - but the gayborhood is a nice concentrated spot of queer folk (even if I picked it partly because it was the closest walkable neighborhood to work plus the dance studio - and not for the queer side at all!).

Thank goodness! I was going through mental inventory of what the mover left behind and was SUPER grateful that I didn't have to replace any clothes - they would've been the most expensive by far.

Week 2, Day 2 (Tuesday): Still figuring out how exactly to settle into my routines in the new place. I'm doing most of my evening routine, but leaving Netflix on too long and falling asleep on the couch rather than winding down by stretching in slowly fading light, as is my ideal. I'll take another swing at it tonight - because the evening routine's going late, the morning's tight on time and I'm skipping working out and reading, both of which I'd really like to do (and still arriving later than I'd like to work - not ideal all around). But once I'm actually at work, my focus is at least where it was prior to vacation (I'd like to dial that in a bit more though). Dance is going great.

Yesterday was mostly a mundane day, but I took my first trip to bar trivia downstairs from my apartment with my dance partner and some of his nerdy friends. The bar has awful service (at least for our group), but it was still a fun time. Turned down an invite to go out after cause I was feeling sleepy, but I'll make sure to take people up on that in the future.

• Like 3

i was teetering on the decision to hire movers and probably will not now! my assumption was these professionals would take better care with my stuff and new house than, say, my brother or friends. that was an incorrect assumption!

glad to hear things are slowly starting to shake out - hope you're able to get more sleep soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i was teetering on the decision to hire movers and probably will not now! my assumption was these professionals would take better care with my stuff and new house than, say, my brother or friends. that was an incorrect assumption!

glad to hear things are slowly starting to shake out - hope you're able to get more sleep soon!

I don't want to stir the decision-making pot, but my movers were amazing and my only regret was not hiring folks sooner in my move-heavy life. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Dance is going great.

\o/ 

Yesterday was mostly a mundane day, but I took my first trip to bar trivia downstairs from my apartment with my dance partner and some of his nerdy friends.

And woo, bar trivia. :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raptron said:

I don't want to stir the decision-making pot, but my movers were amazing and my only regret was not hiring folks sooner in my move-heavy life. 

I'll also say, this is the first truly bad experience I had with movers. I've had really great experiences from other moving companies - tried this place on a friend's recommendation and it appears they have spotty quality (her movers from this same company were excellent). I also wonder if memorial day weekend had an adverse selection of movers vs. normal.

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'll also say, this is the first truly bad experience I had with movers. I've had really great experiences from other moving companies - tried this place on a friend's recommendation and it appears they have spotty quality (her movers from this same company were excellent). I also wonder if memorial day weekend had an adverse selection of movers vs. normal.

Ah gotcha. Well we’re probably moving most stuff 4th of July weekend so... might also be an adverse selection. 

16 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Ah gotcha. Well we’re probably moving most stuff 4th of July weekend so... might also be an adverse selection. 

Ah maybe? I also didn't feel right asking for help from friends because I'm never free to help them move (and most have settled into their forever homes at this point).

Week 2, Day 3 (Wednesday):

Pretty focused day at work, even if it was cut short by arriving late and still leaving on time to teach dance classes (I'm really phoning it in at work and want to stop - just gotta break some bad habit loops and form some good ones in their place). But I'm definitely finding that when I do make time for my short prayer / meditation in the morning, it gives me a little bit of an extra mental edge / focus the rest of the day and I'm really enjoying that.

Still didn't do so great on the evening routine last night or the morning routine this morning - got home from dance practice and I was just WIRED. But I'm confident I'll be able to hit the reset button no later than Sunday evening.

Smoothie update: still making morning smoothies, and really liking my experiments with adding avocado so far. But I had a lesson learned this morning - don't sloppily pile your avocado into a tupperware in the freezer and expect it to separate easily into the half avocado portions you try to use each time...think I'm gonna experiment with mashing and spooning into ice cube trays for the next go-around as my best attempt at a creative solution. Also, my current frozen berries are a bag of blueberries and I learned this morning that lavender syrup plays really nicely with them (I was half expecting it to taste like garbage).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Also, my current frozen berries are a bag of blueberries and I learned this morning that lavender syrup plays really nicely with them (I was half expecting it to taste like garbage).

Ooooooh ... doesn't that sound lovely! Must try ... (mental notes) 

I've had great movers and terrible movers - coin toss. Now I have a truck and hubs and I are the friends everyone else calls for help, but we genuinely like doing it. Is that weird? Hubs actually ran a small hauling business for a while, we're kinda semi-pro (will work for pizza) at it. 

New place/new 'hood sounds FABULOUS!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gemma said:

Ooooooh ... doesn't that sound lovely! Must try ... (mental notes) 

I highly recommend it!

I've had great movers and terrible movers - coin toss. Now I have a truck and hubs and I are the friends everyone else calls for help, but we genuinely like doing it. Is that weird? Hubs actually ran a small hauling business for a while, we're kinda semi-pro (will work for pizza) at it. 

That’s kinda awesome!! If I had unlimited time, I’d enjoy helping friends with the same, but alas, it doesn’t make the cut often once full-time work and dance slot in.

New place/new 'hood sounds FABULOUS!

It is so FABULOUS!

Week 2, Day 4: Kinda a slow day all around - woke up late, missed my morning stuff, was very lax at work. I’m still getting massively positive feedback and really waiting for the other show to drop there. But maybe I’m actually being appreciated for the value I bring?

Evening plans were good though - I had a would be date kinda ghost but wasn’t that mad about it. So after driving home, I walked across the street to get some ice cream and some gin, then made a French 75, ordered some pizza, and got to work hanging some of the decor and functional stuff (like a stool to reach the top shelves and above cabinet areas in my kitchen) in my apartment. I got pooped pretty quickly, forgot how mentally draining readjusting the same thing is because it didn’t go up quite right the first time. But I got through a solid 1/4 to 1/3 of all the stuff that needs to get hung up, so still some progress towards feeling fully moved in!

Proceeded to stay up way too late watching Netflix again - really need to execute on some of the experiments I’ve got planned to get that back under control.

Also, made it to the gym this morning, first time in two full weeks - even if it was only a short session:

- Dips 3x5

- Pull ups 3x5

- 1-arm 1-leg rows: 20#x8x3, 12

- Push-ups: 3x8, 9

- Hanging knees to chest / bench reverse crunch: 5/15, 5/15, 6/14, 6/14

• Like 5

I’m still getting massively positive feedback and really waiting for the other show to drop there. But maybe I’m actually being appreciated for the value I bring?

HardPertinentEidolonhelvum-size_restrict

But I got through a solid 1/4 to 1/3 of all the stuff that needs to get hung up, so still some progress towards feeling fully moved in!

Dang! Making quick work. :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

:D!

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

HardPertinentEidolonhelvum-size_restrict

:D

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

Dang! Making quick work. :D 

Quick work or a small apartment and minimalist leanings for decor, haha. Nobody asked for it, but I'm gonna start tracking my physical move-in list here so people can follow along (/ because I just make lists all the time).

Here's what's remaining on the "hang shit on walls" list:

• Wall mount TV - not even remotely urgent, but I bought the mounting hardware so I should probably just...do the thing?
  • Wall mount bike rack so my bike I'm keeping has a nice, out of the way home
  • Wall mount file folders in the bedroom closet - weird, but I use them to organize things I need / want to hang onto, like IKEA receipts (365 day return policy, yo!) and healthcare claims stuff
  • Hang blackboard for some sort of personal organizing...thing
  • Hang 5-panel art thing
  • Hang IKEA mirrors around 5-panel art thing

Other stuff that still keeps me from fully moved in status:

• Box up stuff that's going to Salvation Army donation
  • Confirm Salvation Army pick up time
  • Actually be there for Salvation Army pick up
  • Attempt to fix broken TV stand so it can be donated instead of trashed
  • Break down remaining moving boxes / recycle packing material
  • Take broken down boxes to a public park for big item recycling
  • Get a new bike tire for bike I'm donating / giving away
  • Give away / donate said bike
  • Return IKEA plant pots I'm not using for anything
  • Like 3

I'm not sure about you, but out here we have FB groups called, "Buy nothing" and then the neighborhood name. They're great, you can post things you're giving away and people will comment if they're interested. Sometimes people are even looking for moving boxes. Depending on how broken the TV stand is, someone that can fix it may be willing to take it without the work. Same with the bike. 

• Like 4

a) Yay for pizza and champagne!

2) I love that you are being so appreciated at work, and totes feel you on the imposter syndrome - but at some point you are just going to have to accept that you probably really are quite good at what you do. If your expectations for yourself are higher than the job's expectations of you, I mean, great - but not a good excuse to worry :) 

c) I have that exact same hammer :D It's a good, trusty piece of gear

d) Compulsive list-makers unite!!! 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, JessFit said:

I'm not sure about you, but out here we have FB groups called, "Buy nothing" and then the neighborhood name. They're great, you can post things you're giving away and people will comment if they're interested. Sometimes people are even looking for moving boxes. Depending on how broken the TV stand is, someone that can fix it may be willing to take it without the work. Same with the bike. 

Alas, it appears the buy nothing groups in Dallas are hyper local and not in my neighborhood!

But it turned out the tv stand was very fixable - after 5 minutes of effort it’s fully functioning again!

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

a) Yay for pizza and champagne!

2) I love that you are being so appreciated at work, and totes feel you on the imposter syndrome - but at some point you are just going to have to accept that you probably really are quite good at what you do. If your expectations for yourself are higher than the job's expectations of you, I mean, great - but not a good excuse to worry :) 

c) I have that exact same hammer :D It's a good, trusty piece of gear

d) Compulsive list-makers unite!!! 

A) Truly a great meal! Even if I ate way too much pizza in one sitting, whoops! But every last bite tasted great. :)

2) True!! Gotta keep in mind that my manager says he doesn’t sugar coat things, so I should know if/when my performance slips.

C) Yup, trusty ole hammer - only gets used here every couple of years, but he puts in good service when he’s used.

D) Huzzah!!

On 6/7/2019 at 3:49 PM, JessFit said:

These groups are awesome. The one in my neighborhood is absolutely hilarious. People will try to get rid of like half-opened cartons of expired milk, rugs caked in dog hair, and just generally so much stuff that is just like "wow, no, throw that in the trash, or at the very least, clean it first!" I love the concept of the groups and I'm really not trying to snarky, but I do legitimately find it very entertaining how some people value their own possessions and it's definitely worth it to look through, if just for a chuckle.

In a more relevant note, I'm glad things seem to be going well for you, even if you do have a pretty hefty move-in list! I'm sure with all the effort you're putting in, the place will look fantastic when you're "finished" (but we're never really finished are we).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

These groups are awesome. The one in my neighborhood is absolutely hilarious. People will try to get rid of like half-opened cartons of expired milk, rugs caked in dog hair, and just generally so much stuff that is just like "wow, no, throw that in the trash, or at the very least, clean it first!" I love the concept of the groups and I'm really not trying to snarky, but I do legitimately find it very entertaining how some people value their own possessions and it's definitely worth it to look through, if just for a chuckle.

Haha I love hearing real-life examples of the "endowment effect" - which I'm totally guilty of myself!

In a more relevant note, I'm glad things seem to be going well for you, even if you do have a pretty hefty move-in list! I'm sure with all the effort you're putting in, the place will look fantastic when you're "finished" (but we're never really finished are we).

Thanks!!! Definitely will never be "finished" but I'm really just going for not having obvious projects laying around to be completed (some of which aren't directly related to moving, but I'm using the move as a chance to make them visible again and avoid falling into the habit of hiding them from view and never doing them, which I'm want to do.

Weekend update: My weekend plans kinda got thrown into total disarray - my dance partner might've injured his knee, so we cancelled practice until he can get to an ortho for an MRI to be sure on it - hopefully it's nothing bad and he can get some good advice on ways to prevent future reinjury of the same spot. You wouldn't think that having *more* time would throw me off, but it totally did - I abandoned my usual routines and just sorta putzed around on Saturday morning. I did still get quite a few things done over the course of Saturday to make my apartment feel more settled in, but I kinda felt all over the place and scattered (and didn't get anything close to my usual level of physical activity).

I stayed up way too late last night again (REALLY need to reign in this netflix habit) but I did manage to power through my morning routines even on low sleep. Can't make a habit of it - I can feel that my body doesn't have another power through day in it - but one is livable.

ALSO, I did pilates Saturday morning along with ankle strengthening stuff - my abs are not thrilled at being put back to work after a break from strengthening exercises - they were VERY sore all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Here's what's remaining on the "hang shit on walls" list:

• Wall mount TV - not even remotely urgent, but I bought the mounting hardware so I should probably just...do the thing? (I can also talk to my leasing office about having building maintenance hang it for me, apparently)
  • Wall mount bike rack so my bike I'm keeping has a nice, out of the way home
  • Wall mount file folders in the bedroom closet - weird, but I use them to organize things I need / want to hang onto, like IKEA receipts (365 day return policy, yo!) and healthcare claims stuff
  • Hang blackboard for some sort of personal organizing...thing - like a large format BuJo spread, kinda (or don't and just squirrel it away)
  • Hang 5-panel art thing
  • Hang IKEA mirrors around 5-panel art thing

Other stuff that still keeps me from fully moved in status:

• Box up stuff that's going to Salvation Army donation
  • Confirm Salvation Army pick up time
  • Actually be there for Salvation Army pick up
  • Attempt to fix broken TV stand so it can be donated instead of trashed
  • Break down remaining moving boxes / recycle packing material
  • Take broken down boxes to a public park for big item recycling
  • Get a new bike tire for bike I'm donating / giving away (or find someone willing to take it and repair it)
  • Give away / donate said bike
  • Give away / donate IKEA plant pots (was gonna return, but couldn't find the receipt anywhere)
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Weekend update: My weekend plans kinda got thrown into total disarray - my dance partner might've injured his knee, so we cancelled practice until he can get to an ortho for an MRI to be sure on it - hopefully it's nothing bad and he can get some good advice on ways to prevent future reinjury of the same spot. You wouldn't think that having *more* time would throw me off, but it totally did - I abandoned my usual routines and just sorta putzed around on Saturday morning. I did still get quite a few things done over the course of Saturday to make my apartment feel more settled in, but I kinda felt all over the place and scattered (and didn't get anything close to my usual level of physical activity).

Oh, I hope your dance partner heals quickly. Yeah, having less do to can actually make me more likely to be idle, as well. I'm kinda lost on days I don't lift, and frequently end up doing far less, even though I should have more time and energy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh, I hope your dance partner heals quickly. Yeah, having less do to can actually make me more likely to be idle, as well. I'm kinda lost on days I don't lift, and frequently end up doing far less, even though I should have more time and energy.

He's pretty confident it's healing well, but we're definitely going to be cautious in ramping back up - we're in this sport for the long haul and have to manage injuries accordingly!

Week 3?, Day 1: Can't even remember what challenge week it is anymore. Finally did my morning routine, as mentioned above, and managed to power through a day of work and dance teaching. Had a kinda meh first date that I cut short a bit before the hour mark (first for me to do the early exit on something meh) and I was proud of myself for that.  Then proceeded to lounge on the couch entirely too long when I got home. I'm going to take a two-day complete detox from Netflix on the couch to see if I can break that habit (helps that I have evening plans - bar trivia tonight, solo practice tomorrow - to fill the time). Also, in exciting news, I got word that I'll be getting a roughly 60% refund from my moving company as a resolution for the complaint - so glad that that process is almost over!

Spoilered money / stress stuff - I know it's a WALL of text and might be unwelcome content for some folks, but it's super important to me to talk pretty candidly about this stuff because I think it's an overly taboo topic in American society:

Spoiler

I'm also currently a little wound up from money stress - I think I mentioned previously that I was told my car was due for an expensive repair soon (supposedly no later than September to be able to renew my state registration), and that on top of expensive repairs I did pay for, paying for movers and miscellaneous related expenses, eating out quite a bit more with being temporarily transient all had me wincing when I saw my credit card balances (also with 3 flights home to Chicago and 2-3 for dance competitions upcoming the rest of the year and not yet paid for). I did some on-paper thinking that helped me get a handle on it - I have a plan for sequencing the expenses for flights so they don't all hit at once, I'm getting some refunds and credit card rewards checks in the mail that'll give me some breathing room, and I know I'll settle back into my usual in-town habits this week or next and the eating out expenses will go back down to a manageable level. And I can also lean on the knowledge that I'm still saving a lot of money in a savings account I'm pretending I can't touch - I'm not *actually* flirting with being insolvent even though I'm making myself feel that way with the rules I'm trying to manage my finances by (and even by those rules, there's a cushion that I haven't come close to using up yet).

Context for the above: I auto-deposit a set portion of each paycheck into my checking account (my spending allotment), put another set amount to cover rent into a savings account, and put the balance into a long-term savings account - with the goal to never touch that last one except to periodically rebalance my investments (I contribute to a 401(k) and HSA through work as well, and that money obviously never lands in a bank account). The goal is that all spending, including bigger purchases like flights, insurance, car repairs, etc., would still come out of that spending allotment rather than me dipping into what should be long-term money. Based on my estimated taxes at my current salary, I'm saving just shy of 60% of my income for the long term, which is definitely aggressive and I know it; it's partly an experiment to see if I can build a mechanism that keeps me from spending money just to spend money because I have money, and partly because I'd like to know I have the flexibility to earn drastically less in the future without my ability to pay all my expenses suffering too drastically. That's the plan, anyway, and these couple months are the first real test of that plan and the flexibility / discipline I'm hoping to force with it. :)

On the car front, I'm going to wait a couple months and go to a different mechanic for a second opinion. If it turns out I really DO need the expensive repair, then my backup plan is to spend about a week discerning whether I feel better shelling out for the expensive repair knowing that more might be coming in future years or cutting my losses and going for an affordable used car - I've already ruled out buying a completely new car because my priorities are saving up for future career flexibility and for dance training and travel, so even if I'd love to drive a new hybrid with all the bells and whistles, I wouldn't necessarily love that more than I'd love the flexibility to comfortably quit working for corporate America in my thirties and switch to teaching dance as my main income (the tentative plan).

And I'm also in the process of rolling over my old 401(k) to an IRA, so there's a bit of added stress knowing that a very large check is being mailed to me so that I can forward it immediately to my IRA holder. But I also played with some retirement calculators out there, separate from the transition, and it looks like my current savings habits have me *comfortably* on track to retire at 40 if I were to stay in corporate America that long - even at a lower savings rate than I'm actually targeting right now. So it took a lot, but I was basically able to tame my stress dragon with data for now and focus on the short-term actions I can take to make myself *feel* more in control of my finances again (because I was never *really* losing control, but those feelings are wily little buggers).

• Like 1