[Sylvaa] Is An Athlete - Part II

13 hours ago, RES said:

:o :o :o 

Glad you didn't hurt yourself!

It's fine, I don't think my form is the issue. I think the issue is it is heavier than I gave myself initial credit for. It was a bit sore, but it wasn't even DOMS sore. I'll get a form check the next time I do them, but I'm not too worried. :) 

This morning, I am dizzy. Not sure why, but probably means I need a rest day. So I'm going to do so. 

• Like 4

As someone who get vertigo, I can say never workout when dizzy. It doesn't end well. Enjoy your rest day.

And congrats on being able to lift that much!

• Like 2

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

On 6/19/2019 at 8:12 AM, RedPandaOne said:

As someone who get vertigo, I can say never workout when dizzy. It doesn't end well. Enjoy your rest day.

And congrats on being able to lift that much!

My co-workers ended up making me eat some peanut butter crackers. They helped. Pretty significantly. Not sure what was up with that, apparently I just hadn't eaten enough or something. Note: this isn't a regular occurrence in regards to dizziness or anything. I did end up going to the gym, however it was a pretty light day (for me). It was chest and shoulder day, then a 15% incline for 15 minutes distance trial. I definitely decided to swallow pride on the weights / reps I was using / doing. Then I ate a burger for dinner. 

Also, thanks, I think.... I'm torn on it. I know that a lot of people would be super excited, but I just keep thinking I should be able to do more. Actually, I know I can do more, however I'm not because there is a process to following a program and I know I need to keep to the process instead of doing my own thing. But I'm just like, meh about it because it seems light. I am my own worst critic. 

• Like 7

I realized this morning that I’ve only read emailed updates for about the last week. 

You can definitely do it. Even the lighter/resting parts lol. How long have you been following the program?

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

9 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

How long have you been following the program?

Not very long at all (two weeks). 

My normal program is very run heavy over the summer, plus I've been running consistently to work on distance / speed. But I felt that I wasn't getting enough lifting in, so I added a three time a week rest-pause program. I think part of the reason I'm okay (usually) with not having significantly heavy weights is this program isn't designed that way.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Also, thanks, I think.... I'm torn on it. I know that a lot of people would be super excited, but I just keep thinking I should be able to do more. Actually, I know I can do more, however I'm not because there is a process to following a program and I know I need to keep to the process instead of doing my own thing. But I'm just like, meh about it because it seems light. I am my own worst critic. 

Something that afflicts us all. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Are you keeping your core braced/tight throughout the lift? When I start to get tired on deadlifts, that's when I lose tightness in my core, my back extends and picks up some of the slack, and that makes it sore. This is exclusively lower back I'm talking about. I'm not sure if that's what happened with you, but this is a regular occurence for me so it seems likely, especially if you're grinding to fit all those reps into 10 minutes.

• Like 3

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

1 hour ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Are you keeping your core braced/tight throughout the lift? When I start to get tired on deadlifts, that's when I lose tightness in my core, my back extends and picks up some of the slack, and that makes it sore. This is exclusively lower back I'm talking about. I'm not sure if that's what happened with you, but this is a regular occurence for me so it seems likely, especially if you're grinding to fit all those reps into 10 minutes.

It's light enough that there isn't too much grinding atm (it's only 15 reps and I'm doing them 4 / 4 / 4 / 3). I was definitely focusing on bracing as I did them, but maybe not enough. I actually feel more confident and like it's easier on the later reps of the sets than on say, the first one. Maybe I'm just weird. I'm still going to get a form check next week to make sure. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I actually feel more confident and like it's easier on the later reps of the sets than on say, the first one. Maybe I'm just weird.

This isn't weird at all. This is the same way with my grip. Sometimes I'll struggle to hold my first set, and subsequent sets are fine. I also tend to feel more confidence and power on sets like 2 and 3 of most of the big compound lifts, just in general.

I also cue myself to brace my core all the time and it still happens, because heavy weight is a really good distraction and it can just be difficult to truly focus on all the things at once in that instant. I'm actually considering experimenting with a belt because of this issue. Again, I don't know if it's at all related to what you're doing; just offering up the possibility!

And I think a form check sounds like a fantastic idea.

• Thanks 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

5 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

This isn't weird at all. This is the same way with my grip. Sometimes I'll struggle to hold my first set, and subsequent sets are fine. I also tend to feel more confidence and power on sets like 2 and 3 of most of the big compound lifts, just in general.

Yeah, me too. It's kind of like the first sets(s) are warmups or for feeling out the movement, then the later rounds are smoother. 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Yeah, me too. It's kind of like the first sets(s) are warmups or for feeling out the movement, then the later rounds are smoother. 

I feel like this when I run intervals, first ones suck!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda