• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NicTheRugger

Watch the Queen Conquer - Nic Tackles Her Goals

On 6/9/2019 at 7:58 PM, NicTheRugger said:

tomorrow is my first day at my new job! I'm very excited.

Hope you are having an excellent first day! 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 2:06 AM, Salinger said:

Hey !! Sorry not dropped by much. 

Glad you are settling in! What’s the bedroom like? Cosy? 

Glad you enjoyed pride as well. :) I rarely go but Manchester has one of the biggest ones here!

hope you have a happy first day at work. Let us know xx

The new room is lovely! My bedroom is pretty spacious, and it's nice that I have my own little sitting area. I actually spend a decent amount of time curled up on a very comfy leather arm chair haha. 

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

How was the first day?xx

It was good! Monday was all the boring HR stuff (although I did have a nasty shock when I found out that my health insurance coverage doesn't start until September, which means I need to get temporary insurance), and Tuesday (yesterday) was my "real" first day in court! Didn't do to much, but I did get to stand up on a couple of matters which was exciting. I'm a little rusty, but at least I can stand up without sounding like a complete fool. 

No story update today, friends. We can assume that our brave adventurers are running back to the base for the next delivery. ;)  Things are kind of hitting a standstill with finding a gym. The crossfit place I went to yesterday didn't really "speak" to me, so to speak. I dunno, I'm sure it's a great fit for some people but it didn't feel like it would be a good fit, and my gut instincts tend to be pretty reliable. It was also way out of my price-range. $210/month is more than I can afford right now.  I might just go back to a regular gym and do Crossfit workouts on my own, now that I know the techniques. Still no place to do pull-ups. I may try to swing by the local high school tonight to see if they have a pull-up bar on their track or something. According to my brother "most high schools do," but I feel like I've never seen a pull-up bar at a high school track in my life! Getting stressed out that because I haven't been able to do any pull-ups for almost a week now, I'm going to not do well on my PFT. It's a little frustrating because I'm supposed to be improving and increasing how many pull-ups I can do, not backsliding because I can't find a place to train. I'm going to try to contact another gym, also in my town, to see if I can tour the facilities either tonight or tomorrow. If I do like it, I'll jump on their 3 month membership right away, because I need to get back into training. And at this point, I'm just looking for basic weights and a pull-up bar. Maybe a treadmill so I can do sprinting training, because it's easier to time it on a treadmill than on a track. Fingers crossed that this is the one! 

I went on my "long" run yesterday: 4 miles. Would have been 4.5 but that last half mile, it was raining so hard that when I ran, the water would keep falling into my eyes and it was extremely difficult to see. Going slower made it a little easier and a little safer. I got to see the lighthouse! It's about 2.25 miles to get there, so all-in-all, it's a pretty decent loop. Going to try and do the full 4.5 miles running next time I do a long run-- hopefully it won't rain next time! 

Today's workout:

Decreasing sets of push-ups: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Decreasing sets of tricep dips with a table: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

5 minute ab workout

Goals/Tracker for the week so far:

Pullups: 0/7

Abs: 2/3

Run: 1/3

Journal: 1/3

Stretching: 1/3

I think that's it for now! Going to try to do a stretching session tonight because my lower back and hips are super tight and causing me pain... again. (Can't catch a break!)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

The new room is lovely! My bedroom is pretty spacious, and it's nice that I have my own little sitting area. I actually spend a decent amount of time curled up on a very comfy leather arm chair haha. 

Awesome!

I did have a nasty shock when I found out that my health insurance coverage doesn't start until September, which means I need to get temporary insurance

That is one of the biggest things holding me back from looking for another job; the insurance gap. I'm on a ridiculously expensive medication and there is no way I could pay out of pocket for it and doubt I could get temporary insurance.

I feel like I've never seen a pull-up bar at a high school track in my life!

Elementary school playground should have something that would work too.

3 hours ago, Whisper said:
9 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I feel like I've never seen a pull-up bar at a high school track in my life!

Elementary school playground should have something that would work too.

I was also going to say that elementary and middle schools usually have something, but I haven't seen a high school with it

• Like 1

I was also going to say playground!

I would normally say don't worry about it too much, but you have such a specific goal that it's really important. Hope you find somewhere this weekend or so.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:46 AM, NicTheRugger said:

It's a little frustrating because I'm supposed to be improving and increasing how many pull-ups I can do, not backsliding because I can't find a place to train.

I can't remember if there was a reason you couldn't use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8XSF87/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_-TLbDbYPWDJS6

Might be a short term solution so you can keep up your training

Hope you had some fun weekend adventures, got in a good workout or two, and got more settled into your new place/town.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, RES said:

I can't remember if there was a reason you couldn't use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8XSF87/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_-TLbDbYPWDJS6

Might be a short term solution so you can keep up your training

That's the kind I have now! Unfortunately, the doorframes in the house I'm living in are too thick for this kind of pull-up bar. But! A solution has been found :) 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, Salinger said:

How you doing Nic?xx

I'm alive! Somehow. 

23 hours ago, Miaulin said:

Heyooo NicNac, sending you some well-wishin's! <3

Thanks, Miau! <3 

I'm alive, folks! Sorry for not being on much last week. I was trying to adjust to the new job and the new home and wanted to spend my down-time decompressing tech-free. The new job is going pretty well. It's been super busy though, which is a big change from my last job. It feels good though, to be doing something I actually enjoy doing. Good news on the pull-up bar front: while I couldn't find a playground with monkey bars or anything (where have all the good playgrounds gone?!), I have ordered an extendable pull-up bar. It's just a bar that extends and uses physics and a clamp system to stay up on the doorway. Available here. It should be coming tomorrow, so starting tomorrow evening, I'll have a way to do pull-ups at home. Workout wasn't that good this morning. I got really anxious in the weight room and had a hard time focusing, so I cut my losses early after doing some pull-ups and bench presses and went back to the house and did 3x15 sets of knee push-ups. Tomorrow's a running day. 

I'll try to do a story update tomorrow. My brain is kinda fried right now after a ridiculously long court day. (We were there for 7 hours today. Court's usually only 4-5 hours for arraignments and pretrial hearings)

Pull-ups: 1/7

Stretching: 1/3

Journal: 0/3

Run: 0/3

Duolingo: 1/7

Abs: 0/3

• Like 5

22 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

where have all the good playgrounds gone?!

just the other day i caught myself wishing there were more parks and playgrounds about, only with grown-up-sized swings and slides and climbing frames :lol: i guess that's a gym in theory, but it doesn't have quite the same vibe.

Cool that you found a bar to use! I hope it works out great for you :) also,

22 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Sorry for not being on much last week. I was trying to adjust to the new job and the new home and wanted to spend my down-time decompressing tech-free

nooooooooo no need to apologize! Good for you taking some time to get settled! <3

• Like 1

Nic blinked as she slowly came to. Where was she? As she turned her head, Nic recognized the Healer's building (infirmary?) at the base. Oh, that was right, she remembered.... she had been injured. She had been waylaid by the enemy in a specially prepared trap that had set up for Raiders if they happened to take a certain route through the Valley. Because of an unusual magic, Nic had been lured away from Bjorn and Shaestra and had fallen into an arachnosaur's web.

"Ah, sleeping beauty awakes," a voice teased. Nic turned her head in the other direction. Shaestra was sitting on a chair next to the bed. "Welcome back to the land of the living, Nic. Healer says you were touch and go for a while."

"Wh... what happened?" Nic croaked out.  

Shaestra told Nic that after they and Bjorn realized that Nic had vanished, they tracked her to the arachnosaur's web. While her companions had launched a valiant and heroic rescue, Nic was nonetheless bitten by the arachnosaur. Its venom sank deep into her body, rendering her mostly delirious with fever. It was only because of Bjorn and Shaestra that she was even still alive, as they had killed the arachnosaur and gotten her free of the web. The Healer had to use all of their skill to bring her back.

"You guys saved my life," Nic said. "Thank you. I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"It's nothing. Raiders don't leave each other behind."

"I'm not a Raider," Nic protested.

"Maybe not yet but..." Shaestra winked as they stood up from the chair. "I wouldn't be surprised if you got an offer to join us full time. Despite that thing with the arachnosaur, you've impressed a lot of people." They turned to walk out the door and paused. "Besides, I think Bjorn's really warmed up to you. He'll miss you if you leave. Better get well soon, we have another run to make."

Story updated to reflect my relative inactivity last week. Today's "run" was actually 3 miles on the eliptical. My hip was feeling really tight this morning so I wanted to do something a little easier on the joints. Got in an ab session tonight. The new pull-up bar is great! It's all set up in my doorway for tomorrow morning. What's great about this adjustable bar is that I can drop it down to the floor to do crunches too. Did a 2 minute session using the bar to brace my legs/feet and got 103 in 2 minutes. Considering I haven't done a timed session in a couple of weeks, that's not too bad. I'm gonna call it an early night tonight and journal, Duolingo, and stretch. I realized I had a typo on yesterday's update. I didn't get a stretch session in yesterday. Probably hit 1 on the number pad instead of 0 and didn't realize it. Have a good night, friends!

• Like 6

"Looks like you've healed up nicely," a voice came in through the door. Nic started, not expecting the sudden intrusion. Looking towards the door, she saw Meera leaning against the doorframe. "Good on you, arachnosaur venom can be nasty to get out of the system."

"Uh, yeah. Healer really knows their stuff," Nic said, startled at Meera's sudden appearance at her door. 

Meera cocked her head to one side. "You packing up?"

"Yeah, now that the missions are over I should probably head back to the guild." Nic tied her trusty rucksack closed. 

Meera grinned at her. "You don't have to, you know? Leave, that is. I'd like to offer you a spot here in the Raiders. You've got promise."

"Even with the arachnosaur?"

Shrugging, Meera responded. "That's just a matter of training. You probably didn't do much work with trap magic back at the guild, and you wouldn't have known what to look for. That's something that we could fix if you stay with us."

Nic was flabbergasted. She knew Shaestra had mentioned that she might get an offer but to actually receive one.... "Oh wow. Are you for real? Me? A Raider?"

"Absolutely. Spot's yours if you want it."

"I... wow. Yes, I'd love to!" Nic exclaimed. 

"I had a feeling you'd say yes. Rest up this week, get to know the rest of the team. In a week, we've got more work to do. The battle isn't over yet." With that, Meera strode out of Nic's room. 

Nic sank to the bed in shock. Her? A Raider? A smile grew on her lips. She wasn't going to let Meera down.

Well folks, it's the end of the challenge! While I had some setbacks, I eventually hit all of the goals I wanted to, except for doing 5 pull-ups. Considering, however, I didn't have access to a pull-up bar for about 2 weeks, however, that's to be expected. I expect that I'll get there soon now that I can try daily.

Weekly wrap up:

Abs: 3/3

Journal: 2/3

Pull-ups: 6/7

Polish: 7/7

Run: 3/3

I'm making a lot of headway with Polish! Even if I'm doing only one unit of Duolingo a day, my vocabulary has gotten far more expansive, and I can understand a lot more than I used to. My pronunciation is still horrible, I sound super French for some reason when I try to speak Polish, but at least I can understand more? 

The new job is amazing. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's much busier than my last job, which I like. I do wish I had more time in the day to actually do things, because it's been difficult trying to get actual work done when I'm in court 7+ hours a day. It's been hectic, and this past week I was basically running first session (arraignments and pre-trial matters) by myself because we're short-staffed. I guess my boss thinks I'm doing an okay job? She's been there to help out if I have questions, but for the most part I was running the show.  Unfortunately, I'm limited to just first session for now, because I'm still learning and I don't actually have any cases of my own yet. The crazy thing is? I think I'd be okay with not getting into the Marines, if it means that I get to keep this job. I'm doing something good and meaningful with my degree, which is ultimately what I wanted to do. That being said, I'm of course going to keep training for my PFT, because I've been training for a year and I'm not going to give up this close to the selection board. But... if I don't get in, I think I could be really happy at this job. No matter what happens, I think I've set myself up for success. For me, the ultimate goal is being able to help people. All I ever wanted to do is be of service to other people, and whether that's as a Marine officer or as an assistant district attorney, as long as I'm doing something that's for the greater good of people, I'll be happy. 

Things I want to tackle in the next challenge:

- Get to 5 chin-ups/pull-ups. Yes, I've been saying this for a while but at this point it's a goal I want to hit, not just for the Marines PFT but because if I could do 5 chin-ups, when one year ago I couldn't even do 1, I'd be thrilled. 

- Pass my PFT

- Get better about stretching. I think I should either start my day or finish my day with a stretching session. Now that I'm wearing heels a lot more often for work, my legs and hips are super tight and I need to get better about stretching. 

- Get better at Polish! My trip to Poland begins 31 July, and I'd like to be able to speak as much Polish as possible when I get there.

- Read 3 books for fun! I'm finishing up one book now, but I don't read as much as I used to and I miss it. Maybe I'll sign up for the local library so I can get easier access to books...

That's all for now, folks! Thanks for sticking around, and see you in the next challenge.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, RES said:

Impressed with everything you accomplished this challenge!!

On 6/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Well done on everything this challenge. 

Thank you both!