Watch the Queen Conquer - Nic Tackles Her Goals

Nic walks into the Ranger Headquarters after her last mission. She had hit some minor setbacks, but understood that the setbacks were a result of her strict new training regimen-- her body simply wasn't up to the task because it was growing stronger. But now, it was time to prove herself again. Nodding at the guildmaster, Nic makes her way to the Assistant Quartermaster to return her equipment. 

"One set of magic rings of levitation, one bow, the short sword, 10 knives." Nic each item on the counter as she listed the item, pulling each one out of her trusty rucksack. 

"Welcome back," the QM replied. "You're going to need those again. Report to Bev in Assignments, she has a new mission for you."  The QM paused, "Come back when you're done with Bev. I have some things you'll need. Leave this stuff here," he gestured to the tools Nic had already taken out, "you're going to want to repack when you get the new equipment." 

Nic silently raised an eyebrow at this. Nodding, she left the ruck behind, but grabbed a dagger off the counter and put it on her belt. Just in case. You never know when a knife might come in handy, after all. Having armed her self, she then walked over to Mission Assignments, also known as the bar. 

"I heard you have a mission for me, Bev." Nic sat down in front of Bev, who was manning the bar. Bev efficiently whipped out a coaster and then set a nice tall glass of Harrendahl mead in front of Nic. Nic gave a grin at the quick service. Bev remembered everyone's orders and always knew what suited their mood. 

"Good to see you again, Nic! Long time no see."  Bev was right on that point. Nic had been on a free-lance training mission for the past month, after failing a previous assignment. "Listen, when this mission came up, I had to give it to you. It's perfect. So you know the Mar'saat Raiders in the Western Reach? They're looking for some help. Someone tough, motivated, but unlikely to be stopped by the Warlord's forces.  They're short a few members after that battle in the Weir Woods."

"The Raiders? Really?" Nic knew of the Raiders. They were some of the toughest of the Rangers-- legendary for their strength and speed.  They were a key unit in the Rebellion, great at smuggling supplies into beseiged villages or ambushing Warlord Dzanai's forces. They epitomized what it meant to be a Ranger, in Nic's eyes. 

"See? I knew you'd be interested. They're looking for someone to help them smuggle supplies from the base in the Reach to a small fishing village at on the coast. They'll be able to tell you more when you get there, but they're expecting you at the beginning of next week. Go see the QM. He'll have what you need."

Draining the mead, Nic gave a quick "thanks!" to Bev and headed back to the QM. He had replaced the bow that she had returned with a bo staff. Nic was grateful-- the bo staff was her preferred weapon.  In addition to the bo staff and other weapons, the QM had added in a new pair of boots ("Extra light, so that you can run faster, but durable enough for all terrain, and enchanted to drain water if they get wet,"), a map to the base at the Western Reach ("burn it once you've memorized it-- don't want Dzanai's forces to get a hold of it and read it."),  and a new half-cloak ("a little easier to run with, than that long one you've got on."). "See you in a month, Ranger. Come back safe."

Nic smiled, thanked the QM, and walked out the door. She had a mission to do.

• Like 8

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

New Challenge! Hooray! The last week of the last challenge was a bit rough, but I'm ready for the new challenge. As evidenced by the story above!  

About the title challenge: I love that one line from Nikki Minaj's song "Monster:" "You can be the King, but watch the Queen conquer."  The rest of the song's lyrics are pretty violent, but this line is exactly the attitude I want going into the challenge. I'm here to conquer my goals and be awesome. 

Goals for the Challenge:

Physical/Exercise Goals:

• Conquer the PFT:
    • 5 chin-ups, <25:00 run in 3 miles, 110 crunches in 2 minutes
      • How it ties into the story: the exercises will (somehow) tie into the mission. We'll see how I work these skills in ;) the running will be easy enough but the other things? Well, we'll see.
      • How to accomplish: continue going to crossfit until the end of the month (and then continue onward, if I can find a new box), get back into the habit of doing pull-ups daily; run 3 times a week: one sprints session for a minimum of 2 miles, one long (4+ miles), one free-style (whatever I want, minimum of 2.5 miles). Dedicated crunches 3 times a week. 
  • Conquer the aches and pains:
    • Standalone stretches (as in, not after a workout) minimum of 3x a week. Flexibility and mobility will be super important in helping me maintain the level of activity I need in order to do well on my PFT
      • How it ties into the story: maybe just good discipline? Not sure. Either way, it's important
      • How to accomplish: tracking in my bujo! Just 3 boxes in my check-list to color in. 

Life Goals:

• Find a place to live!
    • I'm starting a new job in June and need to move-- otherwise, my daily commute will be 2 hours each way! I need to find someplace to live that's closer to where I'll be working. 
  • Journal:
    • 3x a week, just like last time
  • Mówisz po polsku?:
    • I'm going to Poland this summer to visit my grandmother! I haven't seen her in 6 years, so it will be nice to see her again, especially as her health hasn't been very good lately. She doesn't speak any English, and my Polish is... rudimentary. At best. I'm going with my mom, who grew up speaking Polish so I can use her as a translator when my limited vocabulary fails me, but I want to be able to speak and understand as much as possible. Especially since my sister (who is also going) and I will also want to do some exploring while we're there.  In order to accomplish this challenge, I need to practice Polish every day, with a minimum of one "lesson" on Duolingo. If I do more than 2 a day every day for a week, I'll reward myself with something. I don't know what yet, but something. 
  • Find a new gym/crossfit box!
    • Connected to moving: I've come to really enjoy Crossfit. I want to continue at my new location. The mission? Find a new box that I can afford. Some of the places around the area I'm looking in are extremely expensive.... If I can't, find a new gym. 

I think that's it for now. Bye for now, folks!

• Like 8

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

I lied, that wasn't it for now. Forgot to do my logs for the day:

Didn't do pull-ups this morning, but that was because I knew it was going to be a shoulder and arm focused day at Crossfit today. Because of today's workout, I'm going to excuse myself from the pull-ups. I honestly don't think I can do them now anyway. Today's WOD was:

- Climbing front squats to 3 rep max. New 3 rep max is 105! 35 lb bar, 2 25 lb plates, 2 10lb plates. 

- E2M0M 20 (Every 2 minutes on the minute for 20 minutes)

• 5 front squats @ 55
  • 5 push-presses @ 55
  • 10 "hands release at bottom" push-ups. These were awful, and I couldn't do all 10 for 4 sets. Did sets of 5 on those 4. 
I'm feeling really tight in my hip for the past few days-- squatting wasn't the most comfortable experience this morning. I'm going to try and roll out my hip/glutes/IT band tonight to see if that helps. 

Still need to: 
  • find a place to live. I've contacted a few places. One place I liked because of location, but they don't offer parking at all! Another place seems okay, but I think the person got confused by my message and politely let me know that the town is farther away from a location than I might think it was. I just emailed them back saying that that is perfectly okay, and that a 20 minute commute from that town to the courthouse would be much better than the 2 hour commute I'll be facing if I don't move into the area. Because, well. It would. It's 1/6 of the time. I also found a really cute place that isn't available until July. Not sure what I'd do for June though, or if that person is willing to take short-term leases. Not knowing if I'm leaving in September or not is making this progress a lot more difficult than I'd like it to be...
  • practice Polish
  • crunches? maybe. We'll see how I'm feeling after leftovers night tonight ;) 
  • Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

What an exciting challenge. New job, learning Polish to prep for your Poland trip!

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

squee

Awesome to see you here and doing a story challenge as well. For your stretches, do you have a time set aside each week for this or are you going to wing it?

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

12 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

"The Raiders? Really?" Nic knew of the Raiders. They were some of the toughest of the Rangers-- legendary for their strength and speed.  They were a key unit in the Rebellion, great at smuggling supplies into beseiged villages or ambushing Warlord Dzanai's forces. They epitomized what it meant to be a Ranger, in Nic's eyes. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

16 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

squee

Awesome to see you here and doing a story challenge as well. For your stretches, do you have a time set aside each week for this or are you going to wing it?

I think for now I'm going to wing it, at least for 0 week to see how this goes. I know I'll probably do them at night, closer to bed time so that way I have time to relax and destress before going to sleep. If winging it doesn't work this week, I'll specifically designate days and times for stretching.

5 hours ago, deftona said:

Hello fellow language learning buddy! How are you finding Polish so far?

Polish is a... tricky language, haha. Duolingo has been surprisingly helpful and accurate, according to my mom. It's harder for me to pronounce the words because my brain keeps trying to use English or even French pronunciations, so I speak Polish with a very weird French-American accent. I'm getting better though.  On the plus side, my listening comprehension has gotten a lot better-- I was able to understand some of the conversation that my mom and grandmother were having on the phone over the weekend (she was commenting on how sunburnt I got, in comparison to my siblings. They just get darker and darker with tans, and I get redder and redder). 

• Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Nic found herself in a glen near a small village, about two days' journey from the Ranger's Headquarters. This village was allied with the Rebellion, and would often give members of the rebellion food and shelter, as well as a place to train, for a short period of time, before the rebel would move on to continue with the mission. She had been here before, and happily walked into the village, waving at someone she recognized. Her first goal was to find a place to stay for the night. Then, she grinned, eyeing the unusual training apparatus that the villagers had constructed as a thank you for the Rebellion, she would train for a bit.

Tuesday: 

• "Freebie" run! Did a little under 3 miles doing a c25k run. (Hence the me arriving at a village-- I had to run to get there!)
  • Practiced Polish
  • Stretched before bed!
  • Did a significant amount of apartment hunting -- I've found 3 possible options that I'm looking into: one summer lease, one apartment building where I'd have the option of terminating my lease early if I get military orders, and one room share in a house.  

Today (Wednesday):

Crossfit workout this morning. We did climbing sets of "broken down clean and jerks" (3 hang pulls and shrugs, 1 clean into a front squats, 2 jerks) until we got to our heaviest sets. I got to 73 lbs, which isn't much, but I'm considering it a success as I've never actually done a clean-and-jerk before. When I mentioned that my wrists were really sore from Monday still to my coach, one of my classmates loaned me her wrist wraps that way they had some extra support. The wraps helped a lot. I may have to invest in a pair of my own! On the downside, my hips and lower back are extremely tight. Like, radiating pain down my legs kind of tight, sitting is actually really not fun kind of pain. Maybe I pinched a nerve in my lower back...?  Not sure how I'm supposed to address this at work now, especially as I'm in a dress! Can't do the stretches I'd normally do with trousers or jeans on. I did get in a set of 2 pull-ups this morning after the workout. Maybe I'll try to do another set tonight...

Today is a half-day at work, as I need to go to the future job and have an interview with one of the staties (state police) assigned to the office. I was hoping to check out the options today, but I just got the email that the woman who would lease me a room in her house isn't free today. I may do a drive-by of the apartment building just so I can see it. 

Still left to do today:

• Practice Polish
  • Stretch
  • Journal
  • Make progress with the housing situation
  • Start identifying gyms and crossfit boxes in the area I'm hoping to live in. 2 of the three options I'm looking at are in the same town, so I'm gonna research based on that. 
  • Like 7

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

23 hours ago, Whisper said:

I really like the story aspect of your challenge.

Thanks!

Update: I definitely did something to my back. Either my back never healed up from the first time I tweaked it and I re-tweaked it, or I managed to pinch a never. I really can't tell. Either way, lifting is going to be no fun. I'm going to have to take it easy for the next week or so, and then maybe take the first week of June off while I look for a box/gym and move. I'll keep doing pull-ups in the morning (only 2 this morning because of my back), but hopefully that week off will help.

I'm really struggling to find an apartment. Right now, I think my best bet would be to get a full-year lease, and then legally break it if/when I get my orders to report to Quantico for OCS. I didn't know that was an option, before this week. There's a law that allows military personnel to break leases as long as they present valid orders. That may make my life a little more bearable. The only downside-- I'd need to move/buy furniture. We'll see how things go over the next few days though. Trying to stay optimistic.

Journaled last night. No crunches on account of the back pain. Probably won't do any until the back pain subsides.  I'm hoping that it gets mostly better by Monday. Apparently, it's an American CrossFit tradition to do a workout called "The Murph" on Memorial Day, and it's something that I'd like to do! (@Cardinal_22 talks about the Murph on his challenge-- go check it out!) In short, the workout is:

- 1 mile run

- 100 pull-ups

- 200 push-ups

- 300 air squats

- 1 mile run.

The runs need to be both at the beginning and end of the workout. The pull-ups, push-ups, and squats can be done in whatever order and in whatever sets I want. (Right now, 10 sets of 10/20/30 of the exercises sounds like it would probably work best) And all of this needs to be done in an hour. So, if I want to do reasonably well, I want to be as not-broken as possible. Hoping some stretching will do me some good tonight. Also hoping that my coach posts the crossfit workout for tomorrow so I know if I should scale/how I should scale. 

I think that's it for now. Rough couple of days, but I'm pushing through. I'll try to have a story update either tomorrow or Saturday!

• Like 7

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

On 5/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, NicTheRugger said:

When I mentioned that my wrists were really sore from Monday still to my coach, one of my classmates loaned me her wrist wraps that way they had some extra support. The wraps helped a lot. I may have to invest in a pair of my own! 

I've been using the II-Band wrist wraps from Bear Grips for years.  They REALLY help.  They cost about $20 (or less, depending on where you get them).  If you are interested, I suggest the 12" length.

17 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I'm really struggling to find an apartment. Right now, I think my best bet would be to get a full-year lease, and then legally break it if/when I get my orders to report to Quantico for OCS.

Headed out to Quantico?  I've visited a few times.  It's not too bad out there, if you don't mind the traffic on I-95. It's a bit of a hike to the city (DC), but you can still enjoy the night life every now and again.

• Like 2

- Level 3 Night Elf Warrior -

6'0" / 166 lbs.  Powerlifting Total:  940

Member:  The 800 Club

Battle Log

18 hours ago, Salinger said:

I love that Monster song, so cool! 

Hope everything is ok <3 xx

Thank you! Slowly getting better. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal_22 said:

I've been using the II-Band wrist wraps from Bear Grips for years.  They REALLY help.  They cost about $20 (or less, depending on where you get them).  If you are interested, I suggest the 12" length.

Headed out to Quantico?  I've visited a few times.  It's not too bad out there, if you don't mind the traffic on I-95. It's a bit of a hike to the city (DC), but you can still enjoy the night life every now and again.

Thanks for the recommendation! I appreciate it. I'll look into them!   As for Quantico... that's the dream! If I pass the selection board and get selected for the next OCS class I'll be there.  Looking forward to that Virginia heat.

• Like 2

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

19 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Apparently, it's an American CrossFit tradition to do a workout called "The Murph" on Memorial Day, and it's something that I'd like to do!

Murph is terrifying. I'm kinda glad this isn't something we do in the UK! 

Following!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Nic had departed the friendly village and was most of the way to the base at the Western Reach. She had been ambushed on the way by Dzanai's soldiers, and was injured.  Nic winced as her back twinged again. Dropping her ruck in a safe area, she took the time to stretch. She was two days away from the base, at her current pace. Slower than she would like, but she wanted to make sure she was in as good condition as possible before meeting the Raiders. A good impression was necessary, and she didn't want to let them, or the people they were going to help, down. After stretching, she reached into her ruck and pulled out the primer on the Shi'lei language that was the language of the province she was going to. While the Raiders (and most other people) spoke Common, she wanted to know at least a few phrases in the language so she could blend in better. 

Back's doing a little bit better today. I took the day off yesterday, didn't run. Did do some stretches at night to try and relieve the tension in my back. 

Crossfit this morning somehow helped my back. I think it helped that we weren't lifting super heavy today. Today's WOD:

• Tabata workout of the following:
    • Jump rope
    • Flutter kicks
    • Row
  • 2 rounds:
    • 800 m run
    • 7 back squats (85 lbs)

So, I got my run in, even if it wasn't one of my "prescribed" runs. It'll do though, since I didn't run yesterday. 

Count:

• Story count: 2/3 for the week (not counting the intro story into that count)
  • Polish: 4/7
  • Journaling: 1/3
  • Stretching: 2/3
  • Pull-ups: 3/5
  • Crunches: 0/3
  • Apartment found: no, but did leave a few messages and have set up a tour for next week (cutting it close, but they aren't open to tours on weekends)
  • Gym found: no, due to no apartment found

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Murph is terrifying. I'm kinda glad this isn't something we do in the UK! 

Following!

Welcome aboard!

• Like 4

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

22 hours ago, TGP said:

you guys and "the murph"

all I got to say is WOW!

what a workout!!!

have you done "the murph" before?  how long does that take?  seems to me 100 pullups (JUST the pullups) would be REALLY time consuming.

It all depends on how you do it.  Typical Murph times range from 35 min to well over an hour.  Its faster if you don't wear a vest and/or partition part 2. 

• Like 1

- Level 3 Night Elf Warrior -

6'0" / 166 lbs.  Powerlifting Total:  940

Member:  The 800 Club

Battle Log

On 5/24/2019 at 10:18 AM, TGP said:

have you done "the murph" before?  how long does that take?  seems to me 100 pullups (JUST the pullups) would be REALLY time consuming.

I've never done it before! I think it should take me the full hour, since I'll be running it in my combat boots and I'll be splitting it into sets.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, Miaulin said:

Aha, found ya! Here to follow and cheer you on! *waves pompoms*

Hooray! Welcome!

On 5/25/2019 at 2:36 AM, Salinger said:

Hope you have a lovely weeeknd x

You too!

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Nic approached the Raiders' camp at the Rebellion base. It was a small camp, but she knew she'd stand out just by being there because they didn't know her. Not that she got far.

"Not so fast, stranger," a voice behind her growled. Cold steel touched her throat-- she hadn't even noticed anyone around her. "Who are you?" The voice demanded.

"I'm Nic," she said.

"Nic... Ranger? From the Highlands Ranger Guild?" The blade retreated from her neck. "We've been expecting you."

She spun around at that, looking at her attacker. Nic came face-to-face with the infamous Meera Nighthawk, leader of the Mar'saat Raiders.

Meera continued, "Bev sent a raven, letting us know you were on the way. Any trouble on the way?" She started walking back to the camp.

Starting, Nic followed behind and updated her on her journey, including the ambush that she faced and her back injury.

"Back injury, huh? We'll get you checked out by our healer. They're a whiz at getting us up and running."

Meera was right. After setting up in a spare tent at the base, Nic went to see the healer who had her fixed up and ready to go. After leaving the healer's hut, she was greeted by another one of the raiders. He nodded gruffly at her.

"The name's Bjorn. Meera asked me to bring you to the planning meeting." He started walking. Nic followed and they entered another hut. Meera and the rest of the Raiders were there. Upon seeing Nic, Meera stopped and said "everyone, this is Nic. She's on loan to us to help us out while Riley and Cha'el are healing."

With that, Meera laid out the plan. The Raiders would run to the port and intercept the supplies they needed from a shipment going to reinforce the forces of Warlord Dzanai. Then they'd run back to the base, and prepare to deliver the supplies to villages under seige.

"Rest up, everyone," Meera announced. "Tomorrow it begins."

Well, that's 0 week! Not the most productive week, but my back and hips are feeling better. Still tight, but the stretching has been helping.

I'm kicking off the official start of the challenge with the Murph! I won't be doing pull-ups in the morning since I'll be doing 100 (banded) during the challenge.

I had maybe some success on the apartment hunting front. Put in a pre-application for an apartment to get a tour. Hopefully I'll hear back from the realtor soon and get a tour set up.

It's pretty late, so that's it for now. Happy challenge, all!

• Like 7

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Following along. Good luck on the apartment search! 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda