• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NicTheRugger

Watch the Queen Conquer - Nic Tackles Her Goals

4 hours ago, Cardinal_22 said:

How was the Murph??    

I am SO SORE! It was a lot of fun, but I'm definitely feeling it today. I'm also slightly regretting my decision to go to a class this morning haha. 

Update time:

The trip to the port was quick. Everyone was well-rested and well-prepared. Nic was even able to keep up with the Raiders, which was something that she had been worried about. When the advance team (5 of the Raiders, including Bjorn, and Nic herself who had been put on the advance team because of her ability to run with a loaded rucksack) had snuck into the docks where the supplies were being held, that was when disaster struck. The Raiders had received faulty intel. What was supposed to be one guard was actually 24. Four per Raider and Nic. The skirmish that ensued was thankfully over quickly, due to the fact that the Rebellion provided excellent training to its members, but it was brutal and tough, and there were more than a few injuries going around. Nic herself had received a cut on her leg that was, mercifully, shallow. Irritating, but it wouldn't slow her down. Everyone quickly loaded the food and supplies into a cart that was at the docks. Those who were more seriously injured went on the cart with the supplies. Anything that could be carried was placed into peoples' rucks. With that, they bolted. People had heard the fighting and more guards were incoming. Nic slung her ruck onto her back, secured it, and took off. The Raiders and Nic scattered, as per the plan, and took various routes through the city to meet up past the gates and in the forest. From there, they would have to run back to the base. Nic made sure she wasn't followed as she made her way through the city. Once hitting the rendez-vous point, it was time to get moving again. Nic was tired, they all were, but they had to get these supplies back to the base. The Rebellion needed the weapons they stole, and the villages needed the food. The run back took longer than the run there. Not only were they weighed down with heavy bags, but the cart made things slower, and everyone who was part of the advance team had been hurt in some way during the fight. That wouldn't stop them though. They would see this mission through. People were counting on them.

Monday:

Well, the Murph happened. It was a lot of fun, but wow, am I sore today. Even with judicious stretching and foam rolling in the evening, I'm still feeling it. As a quick recap for people who don't want to go back to page one, the Murph is:

- 1 mile run

- 100 pull-ups

- 200 push-ups

- 300 air squats

- 1 mile run.

The bodyweight exercises can be done in any sequence and any order. For the most part, I did rounds of 5 pull-ups/10 push-ups, and 15 air squats. There were rounds where I doubled up on the exercises. I scaled the pull-ups and push-ups, since I know I don't have the upper body strength to do those without scaling. I did banded pull-ups, with 2 purple bands, and knee push-ups. Couldn't really modify the squats in any way, nor did I want to. That last mile run was pretty rough, because I was very tired by that point. It was absolutely worth it though. I had a lot of fun. 

Tuesday:

I made the poor life choice of going to Crossfit today. Today's workout was mean. My coach is a cruel bastard for coming up with this workout the day after the Murph. 

Strength:

3-3-3-3-X back squats at 65% rate. I don't actually know what my 1 rep max is, so I guestimated and went with 95 lbs as my 65% rate. X was to be the most reps you could do with your 65% rate. I did a set of 8 for my "X."

METCON:

27-21-15-9-3 sets of the following:

Wall balls (8 lbs)

Ab-mat sit-ups

Double-unders

I don't actually know how to do double-unders, so the coach said to just double the amount with regular jump rope. The wallballs were the worst though. 

Count for the week:

Polish: 2/7

Journal: 0/3

Pull-ups: 1/7 (will try to do set 2 tonight)

Crunches: 1/3 (I'm counting the sit-ups in today's workout)

Stretching: 1/3

Run: 1/3

Apartment hunt: still working on it. Hoping that something works out soon. At this point, I'm really not that picky. At the least, I'll be (legally) breaking my lease in around 3 months for the Marines. At the most, it's just a year. I can manage a year if I don't get into the Marines. 

Gym: same as the apartment. 

That's it for now. Bye, friends!

• Like 8

yes, belatedly WHAT an accomplishment?

how is the recovery doing?  or should we be asking , how OFTEN do you have crossfit (cause clearly your NOT recovering when your at crossfit)...

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 2:27 PM, Elastigirl said:

Woot for finishing the Murph!

Woot! It was a great workout.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, Salinger said:

bloody hell Nic.... thats one brutal workout! Good for you, inspiring!! x

Thanks! I think I'm just more stubborn than inspirational haha. 

On 5/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, Cardinal_22 said:

Nice job!!!  Murph is no joke.  Sounds like you really killed it.  =)

Thanks! You did too, seems like!

On 5/29/2019 at 1:50 PM, RES said:

Oh my...I would be dead...I wanna be like you when I grow up!

Haha, I'm flattered. :lol:

On 5/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, Xena said:

So impressed!

Thanks!

On 5/30/2019 at 11:48 PM, TGP said:

yes, belatedly WHAT an accomplishment?

how is the recovery doing?  or should we be asking , how OFTEN do you have crossfit (cause clearly your NOT recovering when your at crossfit)...

I usually do Crossfit 3 times a week, but this week was special in that it was 4 workouts. 

19 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Woof, that's a hell of a back-to-back workout - hope you're recovering well! 

Fully recovered!

• Like 2

Nic sighed as she stretched in the room that she was staying in at the base. After the very successful raid, the Raiders had made it back to the base and set up a strategy to start smuggling supplies to the villages and other Rebellion branches. They had delivered the food first to nearby villages. Warlord Dzanai's forces had done their best to burn the crops of the surrounding villages, and the Rebellion wasn't going to let innocent people starve. In just minutes it would be time to meet with the Raiders and figure out where the weapons and other supplies needed to go to best equip the Rebellion. A bell rang just once throughout the base. 

"Guess I had less time than I thought," Nic grumbled, standing up from her stretch. Slipping on her boots and jacket, she headed out the door and over to the meeting area. Sliding in through the door, she took a seat on a bench next to Bjorn. They had done a couple of the runs to the villages together and she thought he was finally warming up to her. "Hey, Bjorn." 

"Hmm," he grunted at her. 

Okay, maybe not, she thought. Still grumpy and generally distrustful of anyone not in the Raiders. 

"Okay, listen up, people," Meera strode in through the door, cloak billowing behind her. "It's time to start taking the weapons out to the outposts and fronts where they're needed. There's enough of us that we can split into 6 three-person teams and leave half the force here at the base in case of any emergencies. Your assignments..." Meera continued on, until "Nic, Bjorn, Shaestra. You'll be taking three crates of swords and healing balm to the front at the north side of the Reach. Dzanai's been getting reinforcements from the Enemy's beastmaster and they need those supplies."

After the meeting concluded, Nic turned to Bjorn and Shaestra. Bjorn cleared his throat and said "we should take the Emberly path to the front. It's longer, but it keeps us out of the way of the regular patrols."

Shaestra shook their head. "It'll add an extra 3 days if we go that way! We should take the route through the Dread Valley. Yes, it's a little more dangerous because of the arachnasaurs, but if we're careful about us, we'll be there in under a week!"

Bjorn snorted, "Or we'll never get there because we get eaten by the arachnasaurs." He turned to Nic, "any suggestions?" 

Nic shook her head. "I don't know the area well enough to say. I think it's worth the risk of arachnasaurs if it means getting to the front sooner with the supplies." 

Bjorn frowned at that. "Well, if you both think it's best, that's what we'll do. We leave at first light tomorrow."

Story update and a real update! Sorry for disappearing for a few days. It's just been so hectic. Thursday was the last day at my old job, Friday was spent looking at apartments, and today was spent helping a friend move. The good news... I found a place! I'm very excited to move. I'll be moving in on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I'll be living with an older couple, in their son's old room. They're fine with month-to-month, and they have a cat! They seem very nice, and I'd have my own bathroom and even a little living room of my own. I'd share the kitchen and washer/dryer, but I'd expect that with roommates anyway. Best of all, it's affordable, and in a great town! I won't be too far from the beach, which means once in a while, I may get to spend some time by the ocean. 

Did pull-ups every day this week so far, except for Tuesday on account of my dead shoulders. Didn't do any more ab sessions this week, and I'm a little behind on journaling as well. Doing well on the stretches. 

Thursday was a sad day. I had to say goodbye to a lot of friends that I've made at work. I'm pretty shy, and it's hard for me to make friends, so saying goodbye was pretty hard. They even through me a little goodbye party and got me a game that I enjoyed (Superfight!). I also wrote little notes to the people I was super close with. Thankfully, I know it's not goodbye forever. I'm going to stay in touch with my friends-- in fact, I actually spent time with one of them today, helping him move. He's probably my closest friend from my (now old) job, and it's probably because we actually share a circle of mutual friends from outside work. Moving all of his furniture was pretty tough-- I'm wiped. (Which is why this update is kind of meandering, I'm doing this stream of consciousness.)

Tallies for week 1:

Pull-ups: 5/7

Crunches/abs: 1/3

Runs: 2/3

Polish: 6/7

Journal: 1/3

Stretching: 2/3

Apartment hunt: DONE!!

Gym hunt: I've found a crossfit gym that sounds interesting. I'm going to reach out on Monday (they're closed tomorrow) and see if I could stop by for a class later in the week. 

I think that's it for now-- enjoy your Saturday night, folks!

• Like 7

Excellent progress! The housing situation sounds really good and great that you have a crossfit prospect. All the best wishes at the new job!!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 6:52 PM, NicTheRugger said:

I'll be living with an older couple

Living with an older couple is great! I'm doing that right now too.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you.

• Like 1

Nic wiped her eyes, exhausted from the journey so far. She and her companions were halfway through the Dread Valley, and had encountered two horrible arachnasaurs. Nic had put her bo staff to good use, after lashing one of her daggers to one end for an improvised spear. The adventurers were fortunate in their successes, as none of the supplies had been ruined. They had to go slower though, in order to keep alert. Maybe she would write to her comrade-in-arms, GoodDoug the Half-Ogre for his advice once this was over! She was unused to fighting dinosaurs of any kind, and she knew her friend was an expert. Eyeing her bo staff, dagger still lashed on, Nic shook it lightly, to see if she should redo the ties holding the dagger. It appeared to be secure. Perhaps  it was time to invest in a glaive instead of a bo staff, she mused.

I'm alive!! Sorry for being AWOL for the past few days. Today was move-in day, and it's been a hectic week! Goals sort of fell through the wayside. 0 runs done, but I'll try to get one in tomorrow. Forgot to bring my pull-up bar with me, and didn't have time to get a set in this morning, so I'll be a bit short on hitting the full 7 days this week. Even journaling took a hit. I'm going to do some in just a bit though.

On the gym hunt: found a place that is even closer than the other one-- just a few miles up the road! And by found, I mean I spotted it on my way to the grocery store! No prices listed, which has me a little concerned...

I'll do a more comprehensive update tomorrow. Bye for now!

• Like 7

18 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Nic wiped her eyes, exhausted from the journey so far. She and her companions were halfway through the Dread Valley, and had encountered two horrible arachnasaurs. Nic had put her bo staff to good use, after lashing one of her daggers to one end for an improvised spear. The adventurers were fortunate in their successes, as none of the supplies had been ruined. They had to go slower though, in order to keep alert. Maybe she would write to her comrade-in-arms, GoodDoug the Half-Ogre for his advice once this was over! She was unused to fighting dinosaurs of any kind, and she knew her friend was an expert. Eyeing her bo staff, dagger still lashed on, Nic shook it lightly, to see if she should redo the ties holding the dagger. It appeared to be secure. Perhaps  it was time to invest in a glaive instead of a bo staff, she mused.

I'm alive!! Sorry for being AWOL for the past few days. Today was move-in day, and it's been a hectic week! Goals sort of fell through the wayside. 0 runs done, but I'll try to get one in tomorrow. Forgot to bring my pull-up bar with me, and didn't have time to get a set in this morning, so I'll be a bit short on hitting the full 7 days this week. Even journaling took a hit. I'm going to do some in just a bit though. 

On the gym hunt: found a place that is even closer than the other one-- just a few miles up the road! And by found, I mean I spotted it on my way to the grocery store! No prices listed, which has me a little concerned...

I'll do a more comprehensive update tomorrow. Bye for now!

Life, um, finds a way.

Always I found out we're constantly having to tweak, change or just put on hold our plans!
but well... that's the deal.

• Like 2

They arrived at the front, as expected. Bjorn and Shaestra both knew who to report to with the weapons, so they took care of that while Nic decided to bring the healing balm to the make-shift infirmary. Nic walked in, and winced at the sight of injured Rebels. Spotting the chief Healer, a Dragonborn wearing a crisp white apron over their clothes, Nic lugged the crate with the healing balm to them. "Ah, excuse me? I'm here with the Maar'sat Raiders, making a delivery of recently acquired healing balm. Maybe some other medical supplies too?" Nic trailed off.

"Excellent, much appreciated. We've had lots of casualties these last few weeks. We could definitely use these." The Healer opened the crate before waving down assistants to take the crate into the back and take inventory.

"Thank you for this," the Healer have what could only be a sigh of relief. "While you're here, would you mind helping out a bit?"

"I uh... I'm happy to do so, but I'm not a healer," Nic stuttered.

"That's fine, all you'd need to do is make sure people are comfortable, and if they need assistance, to flag down a healer. Maybe talk to them." With that, the Chief Healer resumed their duties and moved further into the infirmary.

Nic turned to the bed nearest the door, and did what she could. Taking time to thank the brave rebels for their help, she got them extra pillows if they needed them, or just talked to them. Some, she regaled with tales of her group's battles against the dreadful arachnasaurs. After she had spoken with every person, she headed out. It would be time to go back to the base soon.

Okay, so there's a lot that didn't happen this week. The positives:

I'm moved in and settled in! And tomorrow is my first day at my new job! I'm very excited. I also went to Pride yesterday with some friends and had a lovely time. We spent the afternoon enjoying the Parade/Festivities, had an early dinner, had drinks on the roof of a bar, and then we saw the WILDEST play I've ever seen in my life. It was called "The Donkey Show" and it was a disco wonderland.

Journaling: 2/3

Stretching: 3/3

Pull-ups: 5/7

Duolingo: 7/7

The not so good:

The door frames are too wide for my pull-up bar. If I want to do pull-ups, I need to find a gym. Only got one run in this week. Feeling gross from a lack of intense exercise.

I'm going back to my work schedule of waking up and working out in the morning. Hopefully doing some kind of bodyweight workout (maybe a modified Cindy, with crunches instead of pull-ups since I have no place to do them?) will get me on track for a good first day.

That's all for now, folks! Have a great night!

• Like 6

Hey !! Sorry not dropped by much. 

Glad you are settling in! What’s the bedroom like? Cosy? 

Glad you enjoyed pride as well. :) I rarely go but Manchester has one of the biggest ones here!

hope you have a happy first day at work. Let us know xx

• Like 1