JessFit's Time to Grow

JessFit

Thank you @scalyfreak and @mike Wazowski! I'll look in to those!

Friday was squats and a tornado... hello Iowa. I sat in the basement hallway with my cat, a snake, a toddler, and a bunch of neighbors. Someone was handing out cold beers, most of us ended up outside watching the tornado go past. 

Saturday was pool time with a 4 year old, which I am totally counting as cardio. Also, 7 hours of a 4 year old is exhausting!

Sunday was upper body and some sledgehammering a tire. Video is on IG. What is everyone's IG? I'd love to follow you! I'm barbelle_jess

Monday was more squats and deadlifts. 

All weekend was packing SO MANY boxes for moving! (LOL, I probably only packed 6 or 8 boxes, but cleaning out cabinets is so much work.) I'm thrilled to be getting rid of stuff before I move, it is amazing to me how much stuff can accumulate in 2 years of living in an average size apartment. 

Guess what...

Spoiler

CHICKEN BUTT.  (Yes, I am aware that Mr. Blue is actually a rooster. I'm a city kid, I used to have to go to the zoo to see a chicken, they're all chickens to me.) 

IMG_8941.thumb.JPG.fe3174db7aff1dc349bb4767c3d2103a.JPG

Goal 1:  90%/80% compliant. 

Goal 2: Chin-up and pull-up work 4x a week: 3/20

Goal 3: Lift 2X week. I'd prefer this to be higher, but I'll be content if I can get 2x in. 4/10

Goal 4: Cardio 1x/week: 3/5

• Like 6

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

20 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Please tell Mr. Blue I love him and his fluffiness. I feel you on the packing front. It's a lot of work!

Mr. Blue is undoubtedly the best rooster I've ever met. He follows you around clucking until you pick him up or sit down so he can cuddle in your lap. He rode around on my shoulder cuddling my cheek for 30 minutes, someone finally had to pick him up off of me, and then he ran after me trying to get more affection. He also patiently allowed the 1 year old toddler to pet him and didn't get bothered by some accidental feather grabbing. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Wow, scary that a tornado passed so close to you. Glad you're ok!

Also,

On 5/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, JessFit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

CHICKEN BUTT.  (Yes, I am aware that Mr. Blue is actually a rooster. I'm a city kid, I used to have to go to the zoo to see a chicken, they're all chickens to me.) 

IMG_8941.thumb.JPG.fe3174db7aff1dc349bb4767c3d2103a.JPG

Best. Spoiler. Ever.

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

I am learning that you southern folk are nuts lol My one friend was like "Yah can't go to the barn because severe tornado watch/warning" and im like OMG ARE YOU OKAY? and shes like Ohyah... its fine, just shouldn't ride its a bit windy... and im like whut...a bit windy...okay..yah..sure...tornado..bit windy. ok. . I would be hiding in my basement. 

I love Blue <3 He is actually so beautiful and his affection seeking is adorable <3333 

Image result for marie kondo gif

YAY CLEANING AND ORGANIZING

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

22 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Wow, scary that a tornado passed so close to you. Glad you're ok!

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

I am learning that you southern folk are nuts lol My one friend was like "Yah can't go to the barn because severe tornado watch/warning" and im like OMG ARE YOU OKAY? and shes like Ohyah... its fine, just shouldn't ride its a bit windy... and im like whut...a bit windy...okay..yah..sure...tornado..bit windy. ok. . I would be hiding in my basement. 

It is becoming the norm. We've had tornado sirens just about every other day for the last 3 weeks. Last night we also had hail. Iowa needs to get its shit together. We all stand outside, my neighbor Randy hands out cold beers, we watch the funnel clouds go past. I literally don't even respond to tornado sirens anymore, my "mom" friend down the block texts me and tells me to get out of my third floor apartment when it gets truly bad. Tornados are as casual here as rain is in most areas of the country. 

On Tuesday I almost cried in yoga class because I realized that I'm coping much much better with stress than I ever have in the past. I'm not sure if it is a sign of being secure in my life or a sign of growth, either way I was thrilled and went home and journaled about it. Well, that was a bit of a curse because the past 2 days have been nothing but apartment shit, condo shit, tornados, and a broken down car. I'm still, admittedly, coping better and leaning less on people than I would have in the past, but goddamn life, did you have to hear me say, "I'm coping with stress really well," and then respond with, "HOLD MY BEER!" 

On the up side, the tow guy who came to help me this morning is named Brad, except his shirt said, "B-rad" where his name was on the chest. Also, he unironically had a good ole gray curly mullet. He couldn't actually get to my car (work parking lot was too full, I could have had them come last night but I didn't wanna be waiting on a tow truck in a tornado) and we have to try again tonight, but it was a bright spot in my day. 

• Like 7

Current Challenge

Battle Log

41 minutes ago, JessFit said:

goddamn life, did you have to hear me say, "I'm coping with stress really well," and then respond with, "HOLD MY BEER!" 

Well, yes. The Universe takes that kind of a statement as a personal challenge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Correct.

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

I was born in Iowa and a few years ago a tornado ripped through a town where my mom used to hang out. Fortunately none of my family that lived around there was affected, but they seemed to have a similar perspective on the spectacle of it all.

21 hours ago, Rookie said:

I am learning that you southern folk are nuts lol

I always chuckle a bit when folks call Iowa "the south" -- It seems to happen a lot, and I kinda understand why, but geographically it's actually pretty far north! Right under Minnesota!

I'm glad to hear you are coping better with stress, and hopefully all these bad luck shenanigans don't test your resolve TOO badly. B-rad sounds like quite the gentleman.

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

19 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I always chuckle a bit when folks call Iowa "the south" -- It seems to happen a lot, and I kinda understand why, but geographically it's actually pretty far north! Right under Minnesota!

Welp technically all of the US is southern folk to me. 

Image result for canada us hat gif

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

8 hours ago, Blocky said:

Correct.

AHHHHHHHHH IT GOT WORSE! My dad called at 11:30 last night, because he's an alcoholic asshole who "forgets" at least twice a month that I go to bed at 10 because I start work at like 7 am... he's decided he is coming to visit for Father's Day. Aka our Pride weekend. So I have to skip Pride (a celebration of who I am and love) to spend the weekend with my alcoholic homophobic father. (He is unaware that I'm queer.) This is the icing on the poo-cake that has been my week. I argue fully that there is no such thing as an alcoholic parent, they're too busy being an alcoholic to be a parent, so I don't want to put my entire life on hold for a bullshit weekend where I have to pretend like he was a good dad because its some crappy Hallmark holiday. (That being said, I accept that if I want my only surviving grandparent in my life, I have to tolerate my father. I doubt my 83 year old gram would be too ok with me cutting out her oldest child/favorite son.)

On the up side, the part that they thought was broken on my car was not, so it will be fixed today instead of me having to wait a week. On the down side, this fix is expensive. I'm trying to focus on the up side and not stress out about how much money I don't have since I close 2 weeks from today. Also, I needed a car wash anyway, so the dealership washes it when they fix it and I don't have to take the time to do that now. Silver lining, SILVER F*CKING LINING!

Goals: I'm lower on diet compliance bc I've been eating my stress. I totally forgot I even had a chin up challenge. I haven't had a car so lol on getting to the gym for lifting. However, shoving my car around (while in neutral) and walking a bunch since my car is a butt is GOING to count as cardio which means I'm doing really well on my cardio goal.

PS. Thank you for allowing me space to rant. I feel better now. 

Goal 1:  88.89%/80% compliant. 

Goal 3: Lift 2X week.  4/10

Goal 4: Cardio 1x/week: 5/5

• Sad 4

Current Challenge

Battle Log

32 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I'm lower on diet compliance bc I've been eating my stress.

I'm not surprised :( This would make anyone stressed. I'm so sorry about your disappointing father, it's really unfair. 

34 minutes ago, JessFit said:

That being said, I accept that if I want my only surviving grandparent in my life, I have to tolerate my father. I doubt my 83 year old gram would be too ok with me cutting out her oldest child/favorite son.

Do you really have to skip pride? If your father didn't give much notice then he can't expect you to have no plans. Can't you tell him something like "I have an event that lasts all day, but I why don't we have dinner to celebrate father's day?" Or just invite him for the day before or after. Tolerating him doesn't mean doing everything he suggests. Will your grandmother really cut you out of her life because you told your father you could only see him on Sunday and not Saturday (or whatever)?

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Wow that is a super shitty thing to land on you. I also really hate when people just assume you are free :/ "Oh I will just show up ______" which is great because usually I arrange to accommodate them or specifically not make plans... then they are late or cancel. Like waht. I really hope you get to enjoy some Pride fun on Sunday or maybe Friday? :( Blows you need to rearrange your whole life for him. 

1 hour ago, JessFit said:

PS. Thank you for allowing me space to rant. I feel better now. 

Of course. What else are we here for? :)

58 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Tolerating him doesn't mean doing everything he suggests.

I know this incredibly difficult to implement and enforce, but if you can get a system in place where he can no longer call and make you jump through hoops to fit into what he wants, for whatever reason he has to do it  (I don't know him, so I really can't know his motivations), you will probably start to feel better about your relationship with him as well.

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

58 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Do you really have to skip pride? If your father didn't give much notice then he can't expect you to have no plans. Can't you tell him something like "I have an event that lasts all day, but I why don't we have dinner to celebrate father's day?" Or just invite him for the day before or after. Tolerating him doesn't mean doing everything he suggests. Will your grandmother really cut you out of her life because you told your father you could only see him on Sunday and not Saturday (or whatever)?

49 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Wow that is a super shitty thing to land on you. I also really hate when people just assume you are free :/ "Oh I will just show up ______" which is great because usually I arrange to accommodate them or specifically not make plans... then they are late or cancel. Like waht. I really hope you get to enjoy some Pride fun on Sunday or maybe Friday? :( Blows you need to rearrange your whole life for him. 

Dad its technically giving me 2 weeks notice, and I can't really be like, "Only come for one day" when it is a decently long drive to come visit me. Gram won't cut me out for saying no to him this trip, but she will call and guilt trip me. That was more that I get that he's toxic for me and I'd like to not deal with him at all, but that would hurt her and cause issues. 

I LOVE having people (that I like) come visit me, but I'd appreciate the courtesy of asking if they can come visit as opposed to calling me and telling me when they'll be there. If course, he doesn't have the courtesy not to call me and wake me so why should I expect courtesy in other areas? 

Just now, scalyfreak said:

I know this incredibly difficult to implement and enforce, but if you can get a system in place where he can no longer call and make you jump through hoops to fit into what he wants, for whatever reason he has to do it  (I don't know him, so I really can't know his motivations), you will probably start to feel better about your relationship with him as well.

He wanted to come for Memorial Day and I said no. Of course he gave me less than 24 hours notice for that trip. I've distanced myself from him a lot, but the weekend he wants to come is for father's day. My youngest brother is in NYC where he lives and works. The middle child is in Cali for work. I'm the closest and only possibility for him to even have a Father's Day. I'm 100% letting him come because of catholic guilt and no other reasons. I'm what my mother refers to as "the peace keeper in the family," even at my own expense. I'm working on that, but it is hard to break a lifetime of peace keeping habits. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

2 minutes ago, JessFit said:

I'm 100% letting him come because of catholic guilt and no other reasons. I'm what my mother refers to as "the peace keeper in the family," even at my own expense. I'm working on that, but it is hard to break a lifetime of peace keeping habits. 

Well that probably is the less stressful of the scenarios I can think of atm. Letting him come and continuing to work on distancing for future. Nothing wrong with that. Sucks but nothing wrong with it. You are working towards breaking those habits.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JessFit said:

He wanted to come for Memorial Day and I said no. Of course he gave me less than 24 hours notice for that trip. I've distanced myself from him a lot, but the weekend he wants to come is for father's day. My youngest brother is in NYC where he lives and works. The middle child is in Cali for work. I'm the closest and only possibility for him to even have a Father's Day. I'm 100% letting him come because of catholic guilt and no other reasons.

Catholic guilt is a menace. Speaking as a non-Catholic observer :P

Also, what Rookie said. :)

2 hours ago, JessFit said:

I'm what my mother refers to as "the peace keeper in the family," even at my own expense. I'm working on that, but it is hard to break a lifetime of peace keeping habits. 

I would use a different term for it, because peace keeper makes it sound like you're providing a valuable service when the truth is others are just disregarding your interests and getting what they want. 

Anyway, it must be really hard :( Sorry you have to face this and make these sorts of compromises. I hope things look up for you soon.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Happy Monday all! I spent 14 hours helping a friend move on Saturday. Counting that as cardio since the bulk of my job was wrangling her 4 year old. Whew! When I asked what she wanted for lunch I was told, "Old McDonalds," and when I asked what she wanted to eat I was told, "Ketchup, oh, and a happy meal." Yes child, I will get you ketchup with a side of happy meal for lunch. 

Drank some wine and packed some boxes on Friday. Turns out I'm much better at drinking wine than I am packing boxes and a couple things have to be repacked. 

Turns out that I need to move to a new bank to get my mortgage, cool. I get paid once a month on the first so I have all my bills set to be taken out on the 3 or 5th. Well I put the changes in to my autopays and of course nothing worked right. I've spent this morning putting out fires and making sure my bills got paid. I'm also trying to get homeowners insurance. News flash, I have NO CLUE what I'm doing with home owners insurance and this crap is overwhelming.

Lifted yesterday after running errands. I benched 90lbs for 3 sets of 5. This is pretty much always my sticking point and I'm convinced it is mental over physical. I am trying to convince myself that I can easily bench 95 next time, or even use fractional plates and do 92.5. I ended my upper body session with more sledge hammer against a tractor tire work, because I'm stressed and that helps. No chin up anything lately. My diet was awful this weekend. Moving does not lend itself to eating healthy, even when it isn't you moving. 

Goal 1:  87.01%/80% compliant. 

Goal 3: Lift 2X week.  5/10

Goal 4: Cardio 1x/week: 6/5

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

We got a couple quotes from two different insurance brokers and USAA. Shop around. Brokers are helpful but make sure that you'll pay the insurance company directly. Brokers should be no cost to you whatsoever and I've heard a story where a couple was paying their broker to pay their insurance and yeah, well, the money didn't get to the insurance company. But brokers have the experience to answer your questions and direct you to the amount of coverage you need. We got multiple quote from two different brokers because each broker will only work with a select group of insurance companies.

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

11 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Shop around.

This. Don't get stuck paying for coverage you don't need, but make sure you do pay for any that you realistically could be needing.Just in case.

Ok, so I sent mom the insurance paperwork and she said it looks fine. (Yep, I'm 31 and still ask for mom to look at stuff. Mom is the best.) So that got sorted out. It seems to cover all the relevant stuff and its $25/mo. 

Now I have to focus on the utilities and packing and prepping a few more things before the move. I booked my NJ work trip for later this month and ordered fabric to make cushions for my new to me porch furniture. They're metal chairs that are pretty uncomfortable but for about 5 weeks they'll be the only sitting space in my new place. 

Tonight is girls night. I've promised myself the gym after, but that was before I got a text from my property manager that I have to have my apartment clean for showings tomorrow. Why is moving such a pain? My stress level is so much higher than I'd like it to be. I got way stressed out with everything last week and even though the bulk of that is sorted, I haven't returned to sleeping well. 

Maybe I should just change all my challenge goals to "survive" 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log