Akura collects XP in Orsterra

Akura

Halfway through the last challenge I lost motivation mostly due to injury and pain. In particular, I had little interest in posting here and keeping track of things too detailedly. So, for this challenge, I chose a relatively large selection of things want to do and the challenge is simply trying to do them. And despite the fact that I really like my tally-mark system, I want to take a bit of pressure off.

So, I'll do note whenever I do something well, but I won't keep track of the days and I won't over-analyse the results. I'll call this system "collecting XP", since it's only about doing the things at all and not necessarily about any regularity. And the judgement on when I achieved to do something will be mostly qualitatively, not quantitatively.

And currently I'm obsessed again with Octopath Traveler and its soundtrack, so I'll take that as my theme.

0b73b7b7bb170ac0c34500e6d2127122_1920_KR.jpg

Ophilia's Quest

Breathing

My physical therapist gave me a few stretches and exercises to help my back pain. The only real thing I struggle are my breathing exercises to strengthen the stabiliser muscles in my core. So, doing that will be my first task.

I'll get 1 XP if I do them more often than just the few times wating in front of the coffee machine at work.

Cyrus' Quest

Studying game development

As a way to bolster up my curriculum vitae I want to learn C#. Also, I want to draw more, but I lack the inspiration. So, combining both, I'll try to learn how to use Unity to make video games. I have a few ideas for games in my mind, but since I struggle quite a bit with the engine itslef at the moment, I will simply try to build a few mock-ups and to learn how to create pixel art.

I'll get 1 XP if I do someting game-dev related or at least 30 minutes. (Watchin YouTube tutorials doesn't count...!)

Tressa's Quest

Saving money

Towards the end of the year my fiancée and I need to find a new flat, next year we'll get married and want to go to America for the honeymoon and, sooner or later, I'll need a new car. So, I should try to save more money. In particular, my fiancée and I want to put a few hundred bucks each month into a savings account. But, of course, that's not a reasonable goal for a month-long challenge. So, I'll focus more on keeping my budget and myking smart money decision. Cooking at home instead of ordering take-out, etc.

I'll get 1 XP for each smart money decision. A bit unclear, what smart is, but that'll do.

Olberic's Quest

Working Out

I need to (and want to) work out more to get stronger. Also, I want to run much more and, in particular, training for the 5.5km run in the first week of June.

I get 1 XP whenever I work out, go for a run or do Yoga. Doing just stretches and mobility exercises doesn't count for this challenge.

Primrose's Quest

Doing things for my fiancée

After moving in with my fiancée our lives got a little bit calmer. Everything goes well, but I want to put in a little bit extra effort.

I'll get 1 XP whenever I do something to move my relationship forward. Again a bit unclear, but good enough.

Alfyn's Quest

Eat well

Losing weight is still my main goal. (12kg to go...) As my stomach problems are absent for a few weeks now, I'll try to replace breakfast with a protein shake a few days per week and see how that goes. But that alone won't help much, I guess, so I'll also track calories.

I'll get 1 XP for each day I eat less than 2000 kcal.

Therion's Quest

Practising the guitar

Right after I proposed to my girlfriend -- singing a  love song to her -- I immediately lost motivation to practise the guitar. (As was expected...) So, I'll re-introduce that back into my challenges.

I'll get 1 XP whenver I practise the guitar for at least 15 minutes.

H'annit's Quest

Move

Working out alone is not good enough to live a movement-rich and, consequently, healthy life. So, I want to make sure that I incorporate low-intensity movements -- like playing catch, dancing, swimming, long walks -- into my daily life.

I get 1 XP if I do a low-intensity movement for an adequate amount of time. Again, a bit fuzzy...

• Like 3

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

15 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Despite her weird way of talking I think H'aanit is my fave.

My favourite character is Tressa, but H'annit's story is really great!

If I remember correctly, she speaks a very rural accent in the original Japanese. I guess the best way to translate this was to use this weird old-style English... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

Love the challenge. Here to give you that extra boost!

Welcome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... Today I had a panic attack at work. First one in a year. Not the best way to start the challenge. Now everything's mostly fine, but it's still super annoying and embarassing. Went home a bit early and wanted to do a few things for the challenge, but then I was too unmotivated and mostly just HBomberguy videos on YouTube...

Ophilia's Quest - Breathing:

XP:

Cyrus' Quest - Studying game dev:

XP:

Tressa's Quest - Budgeting:

+1 XP: |

Had a protein shake fro breakfast. In particular, I didn't buy breakfast.

Olberic's Quest - Working out:

XP:

Primrose's Quest - Fiancée stuff:

XP:

Alfyn's Quest - Eating well:

XP:

Had some cake (due to a calleague's birthday) and little interest in tracking calories after my panic attack...

Therion's Quest - Guitar:

XP:

H'annit's Quest - Moving:

XP:

• Like 2

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

XP:

Tried to do a few of my exercises during work, but not enough to earn XP.

Did a little bit of sprite work. Due to my fiancée coming home early I won't have time for much else.

XP: |

Went to the regular grocery store instead of the organic food store. Not sure I want to count that as a (money) win. Especially on a day I went out for lunch...

Every Wednesday a colleague of mine offers Yoga for all of us. I participated again today. Had a few problems with my left ankle which hurts since Sunday. But overall it went fine.

Primrose's Quest - Fiancée effort:

XP:

Watching Murder on the Orient Express with my fiancée today. Not sure whether that counts as 'effort', considering we're both movie addicts.

XP:

Went out for lunch to a burger restaurant with my colleagues to celebrate one of their birthdays. And I had a little bit of leftover cake from yesterday. Overall I ate not too badly -- no bun for the burger and a salad for supper -- but still much more than 2000 kcal.

First time playing the guitar in about two weeks. Went much better than I expected.

XP:

• Like 2

Instagram food log

XP:

Didn't spend a single second thinking about my breathing exercises.

+1 XP: ||

Did a little bit of remixing of some famous songs such that I have a pool of cheap background music. Apart from that, I realised that building a complete game is, at the moment, quite impossible due to my lack of skill in the two game engines I like. So, for the foreseeable future, I'll focus on single mechanics trying to get used to the engines.

Did a light upper body workout and sprint training. My ankle still hurt a bit throughout the day, mostly during squats, but while running it was fine.

XP:

Watching Germany's Next Topmodel with my fiancée and talking a little bit about the wedding. Doesn't feel effortful enough...

We didn't have enough milk for a protein shake this morning, so I had some yoghurt. Because of that, my calories were a little bit higher than I wanted to. But I could compensate at supper and stayed below 200 kcal. There was even room for a little beer... Making Jason Momoa proud, I guess! smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat_1f605.png

Short practice session. Went well.

XP:

• Like 2

Instagram food log

XP:

Same as yesterday: Didn't spend a single second thinking about my breathing exercises...  confused-face_1f615.png

+1 XP: |||

Started to recreate the fire arrows from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Unity.

No breakfast. And no extra drink while playing Go with a friend.

XP: ||

Playing catch, going out for dinner, planning the wedding and now watching a film.

Overall, I ate not too bad today. But my fiancée and I went to a Bavarian restaurant for dinner.  So, obviously, I obliterated my calorie bound.

Playing catch with my fiancée.

• Like 2

Instagram food log

XP:

Yet again, complete forgot my breathing exercises. Will do some now while watching a film, but that isn't good enough.

+1 XP: ||||

Worked a tiny little more on the BotW fire arrows and a tiny little bit on a strategy RPG setup. And now I'll do a bit of coding for a puzzle AI which I want to present at work on Wednesday. Nothing significant on either topic, but quite a bit over the whole afternoon.

Went to the early morning (= 10 o'clock) showing of John Wick 3 and, therefore, paying much less than at night. Not sure that's good enough for a money XP point.

We watch John Wick 3 together and got a few things done while we were in the city.

Fried eggs with bread and cheese for breakfast, a piece of cake in the afternoon and chilli with bread and beer... 2116 kcal. Darn! Definitely too much bread!  smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat_1f605.pngsee-no-evil-monkey_1f648.png

Carrying a heavy bag of groceries, bringing some stuff to the civic amenity site and buying and carrying crates of water and beer home. Not too intense, but I count that as a movement win for now...

• Like 2

Instagram food log

20 hours ago, Akura said:

Carrying a heavy bag of groceries, bringing some stuff to the civic amenity site and buying and carrying crates of water and beer home. Not too intense, but I count that as a movement win for now...

Definitely. I occasionally feel bad about missing a workout to do heavy labor, but then I remind myself that there's no point in working out if you never use the muscles you build...

20 hours ago, Akura said:

Yet again, complete forgot my breathing exercises. Will do some now while watching a film, but that isn't good enough.

Is there some sort of trigger you could set to remember these, like do it right after brushing your teeth or a certain time (and set an alarm) or something? 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

like do it right after brushing your teeth or a certain time (and set an alarm) or something?

Probably, yes. Right after brushing my teeth I do my morning movement routine. I think I can allocate a few minutes afterwards for breathing.

But what I actually want is to do the exercises several times throughout the day. Guess I should try a timer that goes off every now and then...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XP:

Did a few breathing exercises, but not enough to be satisfied.

+1 XP: |||||

Worked more on my puzzle game AI. Took me much more effort and time than I wanted to invest today... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No money expenses means... what? If I have no opportunity to screw up, do I get a point for not screwing up...? thinking-face_1f914.png

Light workout plus running. Was quite winded during the run and my heart rate was pretty high overall.

Planned to eat 2003 kcal which I would have counted as a win anyway. But then my fiancée forgot to put spinach into the pasta we had for supper. So, below 2000 kcal!

Trying to learn Hard to Concentrate form the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It's so gorram fast!!!

---------------------------

Week zero was okay. But I need to put more effort into my diet and my breathing exercises.

• Like 2

Instagram food log

In the afternoon I unloaded the dishwasher. Working bend over I quickly got back pain again. Good that I have physical therapy tomorrow morning.

Did my breathing exercises quite often today. Especially whenever I was standing around. (Coffee machine, traffic lights, etc.) I also did them in the morning after my movement routine. But it was quite tough since I was a little bit out of breath. On Wednesday I'll do them before my routine.

+1 XP: ||||| |

Worked a little bit more on my puzzle AI.

Protein shake made at home instead of buying breakfast.

XP: |||

Wanted to go running after work, but it rained really bad. So I lost interest.

We played a bit of Puyo Puyo Champions. (It's a game similar to Tetris.)

Since I skipped my workout I also didn't eat my post-workout yoghurt. Not only did this allow me to drink a beer tonight, I also stayed below 1900 kcal.

• Like 1

Instagram food log

19 hours ago, Akura said:

In the afternoon I unloaded the dishwasher. Working bend over I quickly got back pain again. Good that I have physical therapy tomorrow morning.

Please take this with a "ymmv" but would it help to activate core muscles when you bend over? I had lower back spasms a lot before I started lifting, which taught me to properly engage core muscles. Sounds odd to use your stomach when you're bending forward, but it helps me a lot. 

19 hours ago, Akura said:

Since I skipped my workout I also didn't eat my post-workout yoghurt. Not only did this allow me to drink a beer tonight, I also stayed below 1900 kcal.

Nice.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:33 PM, Manarelle said:

would it help to activate core muscles when you bend over?

Ah, good idea! Will try it out the next time. The challenge is, of course, to actually remember to do it while working.

Yesterday had been a very long exhausting day at work. Even though I was pretty tired I went to the Go meet-up and play an interesting game.

Today I had quite some stomach problems and therefore very little interest in thinking about healthy food.

+2 XP: |||

Did my breathing exercises in the last two days. Probably not as often and not as focused as I'm supposed to, but good enough.

+1 XP: ||||| ||

Wanted to go for a run today, but then I was too unmotivated. Instead, I did a circuit workout at home. Felt pretty good and, in particular, I can do a proper pull-up and 2.5 chin-ups by now. Progress!!

We played a bit of Puyo Poyuo Champions again and now we're watching Mulan. Doesn't feel effortful enough though...

Lots of cookies and sweets yesterday during a big meeting. And apart from that many carby foods.

Today, better food choices overall, but still too much.

XP: |||||

Instagram food log

Ascension Day here in Bavaria, so I had the day off. Feels like I have been rather lazy, but I got some things done.

Did my breathing exercises whenever possible. But since I had no good opportunities, I barely did any apart from the five minutes in the morning.

XP: ||||| ||

Tried to not think about anything today.

Went for a short run after a short walk and playing catch.

We played a bit of Puyo Poyuo Champions again, went for a walk, played catch and met friends at a beer garden.

Had eaten 2006 kcal, which I would have counted as a win, but then my fiancée and I decided to get some ice cream on our way home and walk the last two miles. I regret nothing.

Walking and playing catch with my fiancée.

Instagram food log

15 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I mean, ice cream and a walk sounds like a good idea. ;)

Definitely! But I have to make sure that eating ice cream doesn't become a frequent habit, just because I walk afterwards ... smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat_1f605.png

Not much happened today. Slow day at work, a quick sprint training in the afternoon.

Instagram food log

On 5/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Akura said:

Felt pretty good and, in particular, I can do a proper pull-up and 2.5 chin-ups by now. Progress!!

Heck yeah, nice!

On 5/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, Akura said:

Had eaten 2006 kcal, which I would have counted as a win, but then my finacée and I decided to get some ice cream on our way home and walk the last two miles. I regret nothing.

Haha, so close... Sounds like you had a good self-care day, though. 

• Like 1

Had two rather rough days. Yesterday morning I went for a run which felt very good in itself. But it was too soon after my breakfast and the breakfast had too many vegetables. So, I got stomach cramps and had to waddle home awkwardly.

The rest of the day was okay and I even managed to play catch with a friend. But since we talked so long afterwards I was too lazy to cook and ordered pizza.

Today I spent the day at my fiancée's niece's baptism. I.e. barbeque, cake and lots of sitting. Wouldn't have been much of a problem, but, of course, I got stomach problems in the morning and terrible back pain. Moreover, it was quite hot (compared to the last weeks/months) and I had to wear trousers and a shirt which were both just a little bit too tight. So, overall, a rather unpleasant experience. But the ceremony and the party afterwards were very nice!

I plan to participate in a 5.5 km run on Wednesday. Let's see whether I'm fit...

XP: ||||

+1 XP: ||||| |||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

A little bit of breathing... While standing I focussed mostly on good posture in order to reduce my back pain.

I want to look into the Godot Engine and therefore I'm doing a quick Python course in order to get used to its syntax. No actual game dev happening.

Bought a very expensive chocolate bar this morning and will buy a pair of new headphones later on. Nothing smart going on today...

Still back pain; so I do nothing and try to rest. At least for today.

We went out for dinner.

Not the best food choices; but 2007 kcal. That counts.

XP: ||||| |||

Walked home from a grocery store which is 15--20 minutes away from my flat. Not impressive; but with a backpack, a bag of groceries, my back pains and 27°C (80°F) I count it as a win.

• Like 1

Instagram food log

In the morning I had physical therapy. It helped quite a bit with my pains and general stiffness in my back. Now at night, however, it's a bit worse. I think I'll skip the 5k run tomorrow.

Also, I went to the Go meet up and therefore had little time for anything else.

A few breathing exercises throughout the day. But I think I could have done better.

Bought cheap headphones instead of the expensive ones. Only a smart decision if they don't break within the next months. But for now, it counts. Also, protein shake instead of buying breakfast.

XP: ||||| |||

XP: ||||| |

• Like 1

Instagram food log

On 6/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, Manarelle said:

Probably wise to have a rest day now and then. How was the Go meeting?

Yeah, I'll take it really slow the next few days.

The. Go meet-up was nice. But it's always tough to play well after a day at work. So, it's more socialising.

Yesterday has been busy, but okay. Didn't attend the 5k run though...

Today I had physical therapy again. My therapist showed me new breathing exercises for strengthening my core. And he advised me to no train too hard the next week or two. Now, at night my back pains are coming back. I'll to go on a few long walks on the weekend.

And today two colleagues had their last day at work due to going on paternity leave. So, we had two parties and I ate cake all day long.

+2 XP: ||||| |||||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

22 hours ago, Akura said:

Today I had physical therapy again. My therapist showed me new breathing exercises for strengthening my core. And he advised me to no train too hard the next week or two. Now, at night my back pains are coming back. I'll to go on a few long walks on the weekend.

And today two colleagues had their last day at work due to going on paternity leave. So, we had two parties and I ate cake all day long.

Boo that the back pains are coming back. He didn't say why that might be?

And man, we were just talking about this at work the other day. Coworker's wife is pregnant, due in September. Our company is pretty stellar (by US standards) about benefits and taking care of their employees. Apparently our paternity leave is that you can take up to a month off - unpaid - after your kid is born. How kind. I am jealous of countries who understand what health is. 

On 6/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Manarelle said:

He didn't say why that might be? 

Well, he can only work with the information I give him. And I always try to remember the circumstances when the pain comes back. But often, pain is delayed relative to its cause. So it's tricky. And my therapist focusses more on the big picture: less sitting, more moving, etc.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Manarelle said:

Apparently our paternity leave is that you can take up to a month off - unpaid - after your kid is born

Wow, that's rough...

Yesterday was my finacées birthday. So, I ate cake and a large dinner and we had some cocktails. On the plus side: I walked about an hour to get her flowers.

Today we helped a couple of friends move. Was a bit tough for my back, but overall I managed it fine. Now at night, I have a little bit of shoulder pain, but nothing major. It was much harder for my male ego though, feeling relatively useless compared to the others... smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat_1f605.png

Food was very random today. Overall not too bad, but definitely too much.

+2 XP: ||||| |||

+2 XP: ||||| ||||| ||

+2 XP: ||||| |||

• Like 1

Instagram food log

Slow day; trying to recover from yesterday.

Did my new breathing exercises. As I have to lie down for them, it's hard to do them during a workday. But on the weekend I can do four, five sets spread over the day.

Played Stardew Valley for the better part of the day. Tomorrow I'll focus on something productive again...

+1 XP: ||||| ||||

We went for a walk. Also, we planned a bit more for the wedding.

2200 kcal. Nothing too bad, but three pieces of chocolate and a relatively large supper.

+1 XP: ||||| ||||| |||

Almost fast enough to keep up with Hard to Concentrate.

+1 XP: ||||| |||

Went for a walk. My back wasn't feeling too good, but it was fine.

• Like 1

Instagram food log