Jump to content

Snarky Tests her “If I could”s


Recommended Posts

 

 

Losing weight is boring and it’s not fun. It’s a lot more fun to read a book in bed until 1am while eating candy bars. I think to myself “If I just did these things, I could lose weight. So... We’ll see if I’m right

 

1. If I stopped eating after dinner. I eat snacks after dinner. Usually like another whole dinner’s worth of snacks. and those 1am candy bars? It’s one of my favorite things in life. But it’s so rotten for me. I eat too much, I have heartburn and have trouble sleeping, and then I wake up grouchy and sugar-hungover and sleep-deprived. So it’s so much more than just the calories, but damn, those calories. If I stopped eating, I’d cut calories dramatically without starving myself, and I’d sleep better. 

 

2. If i just did the workout.  I hate working out. It’s hard. I hate the feeling of my fat getting in the way of my body moving. I hate it! I hate how  hard it is to breathe and that feeling of panic that “Oh shit, I’m gonna die right now” as I’m just trying to walk around the neighborhood. But working out will help me be stronger, and the more I do it, the easier it will be. And yeah. It’s boring as hell, but I don’t want to find out how exciting a heart attack is. 

 

3. If I managed stress better  We all know I suck at stress management. I mean. Y’all. I suck at stress management. :)

 

 I’m going to start with an hour every day just for myself. Where I turn my phone off, shut the door, and ignore the universe. It doesn’t matter what I do in that hour. Whether I’m working or relaxing, that hour is just for me and everyone else has to wait.  Except for two days a week when I take four hours off to myself, and it’s best if they are in a row. It doesn’t have to be a weekend, it can be Wednesday and Thursday, but I need two days where I have an afternoon completely to myself to log off, shut the door, and recharge. My family is on board with this plan. 

 

So I am gonna do all these things for this challenge and report back in, and at the end of challenge I’ll get weighed and we can see how effective it is!

  • Like 9
Link to post

Following!

  • Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Following!

Yay! Glad to have you along! 

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

Love the brilliant simplicity of this challenge. Following!

Thank you! I’m glad you’re here! 

 

 

Monday

Yesterday was a good start! I took an hour to myself and read Space Boy which is an amazing webcomic and I’m so sad I’m caught up and have to wait for the weekly installments now, because ugh, waiting! :D

 

I didn’t eat after dinner, and I slept 8 hours straight. No waking up, just wonderful sleep. It also helped that it was cool last night. I could shut the windows and sleep through the birds that like to make ALL THE NOISES at 5am. But not eating was the biggest contributor. No stomachaches for me!

 

Today is my last story time at the library and I am so DONE. After, I’m driving up to Moraine State Park, and I’m telling you this because until I moved closer to it, I always thought people called it Moraine’s Day Park. A perfect park to spend the day in. :D is there a word you've learned is actually completely different from what you thought you were hearing?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Today was my last story time, and I feel a bit emotional. I love those babies. I did not love the job or working at the library.  But I loved the squishy babies. :wub:

 

I’m really tired. We skipped the park today, and I walked closer to home for just a mile. Feelings. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings.

 

i think its time for that hour to myself. :dejection: 

  • Like 3
Link to post

I get that. I always loved teaching because of the kids but some of the adults could make the job awful. 

  • Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
16 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I get that. I always loved teaching because of the kids but some of the adults could make the job awful. 

Yeah. Most of the parents were great, but the librarian was the deal breaker. She changed everything from when I first started working there, and it went from this dream part time job to get me out of the house to this “THE LIBRARY IS LIFE” mentality that I wouldnt buy into. its like “this is a job, not a life.”  Especially for 9 dollars an hour. *eye rolls*

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post

I only got about a half hour to myself yesterday, which was okay, but I definitely need that hour. I had two bites of a candy bar after dinner before remembering my goals and putting it away. 

 

Today it’s off to the store to buy mulch and lay it out on the flower beds. This is going to be my workout AND my alone time. I’m waiting until my folks leave for a doctor appointment to get it done. I need that type of quiet work-I feel agitated today, and gardening is a soothing activity and great exercise.

  • Like 4
Link to post

Following along, I really like the idea behind this challenge. I also like the not weighing in until the end, I've decided to do that to. Let's put our trust in this process together!

And yay for freedom from the library, what will you use this extra time for?

  • Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to post
2 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along, I really like the idea behind this challenge. I also like the not weighing in until the end, I've decided to do that to. Let's put our trust in this process together!

And yay for freedom from the library, what will you use this extra time for?

I’m so glad you are here! 

 

oooh I was just thinking about what to do with my extra time! Right now its definitely walking outside more. The weather is still cool, and the sun is out. We’re having a proper spring for the first time in years, and I definitely want to enjoy it before the summer heat kicks in. Theres more I want to do and need to do, but I really just want to go for walks first.  :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Wednesday was good. I got four bags of mulch and covered the flower beds. I learned from last year, and got a rake to spread it out more evenly, except around the plants where I needed to use my hands. It took about an hour and was really relaxing.

 

i also didn't eat after dinner, which I’m proud of. I still woke up in the middle of the night but it wasnt as bad. But I felt incredibly anxious last night and this morning. I’ve taken away main coping mechanism and its too early for anything I choose to really replace it yet. Still,  it’s  progress

  • Like 4
Link to post
2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Wednesday was good. I got four bags of mulch and covered the flower beds. I learned from last year, and got a rake to spread it out more evenly, except around the plants where I needed to use my hands. It took about an hour and was really relaxing.

 

i also didn't eat after dinner, which I’m proud of. I still woke up in the middle of the night but it wasnt as bad. But I felt incredibly anxious last night and this morning. I’ve taken away main coping mechanism and its too early for anything I choose to really replace it yet. Still,  it’s  progress

 

Do you have ideas or plans for employing other coping mechanisms?  

  • Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

 

Do you have ideas or plans for employing other coping mechanisms?  

Nope! I've tried embroidery, but it's frustrating to do in the evenings when I'm tired. I make a lot of mistakes. (exaggerated sighs)  TV is okay, but sometimes also winds me up with the flashing cut scenes and intense plots. Maybe I need to watch more cooking documentaries :D 

 

Do you have suggestions? I welcome suggestions!

Link to post

I like reading a lot, though I don’t have nearly the time capacity I used to with 3 kids. I have a tendency to stress clean even though our house is a bit of a wreck most of the time; it always looks nicer when things are going sideways and we’ve got time at home than if we’re just relaxing on a day off. 

 

The most helpful thing lately has been gardening and working towards suburban homesteading. Making things and planning things to make me/ya more self sufficient has always reduced anxiety for me. 

 

I’m still working to find things. I think allergy meds were exacerbating issues for me and switching that alone has helped a lot. It’s been a while since we’ve done anything regular, but I always tend to do best when I’m involved in regular board game nights or D&D/RP campaigns. I definitely don’t have all the answers, but I also think we’re stronger and healthier together than alone. 

  • Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post

Thursday went by quickly. I didn’t eat after dinner (yay!)

 

I didnt exercise yesterday and I didnt spend any time alone. Dad was having a bad day so I sat and did embroidery while sat across from me and read and talked all day. It was nice, but also tiring. Mom had to go out yesterday and she’s going out today to a funeral and dad is staying home with me again. He seems a little better, but he's still having a rough time. I cant just sit with him all day though. I’m worn out. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
37 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Its not fair to place blame on him like that. He’s not responsible for my feeling crappy :boxing:

 

To be fair, I just read that as you didn't have enough spoons to spend the day with him. 

 

In regards to things to do after dinner, what about puzzle books? I really like doing Sudoku and the like and you can get them for cheap (I get a lot at the dollar store), so even if you zone out and mess things up, it isn't like a huge money sink. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
6 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

 

To be fair, I just read that as you didn't have enough spoons to spend the day with him. 

 

In regards to things to do after dinner, what about puzzle books? I really like doing Sudoku and the like and you can get them for cheap (I get a lot at the dollar store), so even if you zone out and mess things up, it isn't like a huge money sink. 

I am now the proud owner of a cheapo sudoku book. I’ll be trying this out!

  • Like 4
Link to post

Last night, I did some Sudoku before bed, and it was a lot of fun! I dreamed of Sudoku Puzzles over my actual dreams, so it really helped prevent nightmares because when you're figuring out where to put your 4's, zombies just don't really have a place in the brain. Thank you Sylvaa!

 

I did eat after dinner last night. This was a planned cheat. Friday night is usually a snack night. We eat a lighter dinner and eat chips afterwards while we watch Project Runway.

But yesterday I got my hour of time alone, and I also got my exercise in. 

 

My folks are wonderful amazing people, and it's time for me to move out. But I need to be able to move forward and make an income so I can afford to move out. Which is difficult living with a blind man and his overwhelmed wife. They take a LOT of my time and energy, even though they feel guilty about it, which doesn't help. sigh.

 

Anyone live at home? How do you manage this? Any suggestions?

  • Like 4
Link to post
5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Last night, I did some Sudoku before bed, and it was a lot of fun! I dreamed of Sudoku Puzzles over my actual dreams, so it really helped prevent nightmares because when you're figuring out where to put your 4's, zombies just don't really have a place in the brain. Thank you Sylvaa!

 

I did eat after dinner last night. This was a planned cheat. Friday night is usually a snack night. We eat a lighter dinner and eat chips afterwards while we watch Project Runway.

But yesterday I got my hour of time alone, and I also got my exercise in. 

 

My folks are wonderful amazing people, and it's time for me to move out. But I need to be able to move forward and make an income so I can afford to move out. Which is difficult living with a blind man and his overwhelmed wife. They take a LOT of my time and energy, even though they feel guilty about it, which doesn't help. sigh.

 

Anyone live at home? How do you manage this? Any suggestions?

 

I lived at home during the last couple years of college and again a few years later. Boundaries are absolutely critical, and sometimes it’s hard to establish them. It’s part of why I live an hour away from my parents and my sister sort of regrets living only a few minutes away. 

 

It really helped having the support of my wife. The second time was right after I met my wife; we met in Kansas City just as she finished college and they shut down the school I taught at. So I lived there while getting back on my feet and planning the wedding, and we lived there for the first 5ish months of marriage. Which sucked because my parents took the “our house our rules” sort of stance and sort of sabotaged my ability to move out. Likely inadvertently on my dad’s part because he wanted me out as soon as feasible but likely intentional on my mom’s part. 

 

Part of setting boundaries has to be prioritizing self care and your own goals. When you move out, you won’t be there to do a lot. So start setting new precedents based on how you intend to live independently. 

 

Does your father listen to a lot of radio? MindsEye is a nonprofit that reads newspapers and periodicals for the blind community. I have no idea where you’re based, but if you’re close enough, we can send actual handset radios but we also broadcast to apps like Tunein Radio. We have all kinds of community events around and audio description around St. Louis, including for Blues games. That may help relieve pressure on his family if he doesn’t already use similar services. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
16 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

 

I lived at home during the last couple years of college and again a few years later. Boundaries are absolutely critical, and sometimes it’s hard to establish them. It’s part of why I live an hour away from my parents and my sister sort of regrets living only a few minutes away. 

 

It really helped having the support of my wife. The second time was right after I met my wife; we met in Kansas City just as she finished college and they shut down the school I taught at. So I lived there while getting back on my feet and planning the wedding, and we lived there for the first 5ish months of marriage. Which sucked because my parents took the “our house our rules” sort of stance and sort of sabotaged my ability to move out. Likely inadvertently on my dad’s part because he wanted me out as soon as feasible but likely intentional on my mom’s part. 

 

Part of setting boundaries has to be prioritizing self care and your own goals. When you move out, you won’t be there to do a lot. So start setting new precedents based on how you intend to live independently. 

 

Does your father listen to a lot of radio? MindsEye is a nonprofit that reads newspapers and periodicals for the blind community. I have no idea where you’re based, but if you’re close enough, we can send actual handset radios but we also broadcast to apps like Tunein Radio. We have all kinds of community events around and audio description around St. Louis, including for Blues games. That may help relieve pressure on his family if he doesn’t already use similar services. 

 

This is super helpful! Thank you!

 

My dad has got the audio stuff down. He listens to podcasts, radio, books, classes, news. A lot of movies and Netflix have audio description. There’s a library for the blind that has a ton of books, and he’s eligible to access them all.

I’ll tell him about Mind’s Eye! It looks like he can listen in from his phone too? I can tell you he wont want a radio. He wants to just have as much on his phone as possible.  We’re in pittsburgh, and we’re still exploring what audio services are available. It’d be amazing if we could find a service like the theater audio description thats in St. Louis. He used to love going to see musicals! More inclusive out of house experiences would be amazing, 

 He started using his cane in the house, which he hates. He’s lost a lot more vision in the last few weeks. It just happens so fast, and its a constant adjusting to the new reality and mourning the loss of what he could see. 

 

I think my dad would be happy if I stayed here. Mom wants me to move out, but she does stuff like you said, inadvertently. I’m a large part of the problem too.  I need to set those boundaries you talked about and just live my life. I need that reminder about boundaries, so thanks for that. :) 

  • Like 4
Link to post

Yesterday was our picnic day and my uncle and his family, and my brother and his family came over for a cookout. I didn't know they were coming until yesterday morning. But I didn’t have to say anything because my cousin complained “I like getting together but can you guys plan anything at least 24 hours in advance?”  Hahaha! Yesssss!

 

For week 0,

I succeeded 3/6 times in not eating after dinner 

I exercised 3/6 days

i got one hour to myself 3/6 days one of those days having 4 hours.

 

 

Not a bad start!  I definitely want to improve that for next week, so I’m gonna schedule in the time I need to exercise and be alone :) 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
On 5/24/2019 at 4:04 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am now the proud owner of a cheapo sudoku book. I’ll be trying this out!

 

Oh! that's not a bad idea. I might have to roam through my stuff to find some puzzle books. I think I also have some coloring books a friend gave me awhile back. That could also be another suggestion. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

https://trustarts.org/accessibility/audio_description?org=1

 

Call your local area theatres and ask if and when they provide audio description services. A lot more have in the last few years; the Broadway production of Hamilton got sued and it’s been rapidly expanding lately.  If they don’t have access to training but have volunteers, let me know and I’m pretty sure I could hook your people up with some of the best audio description trainers in the country. 

  • Thanks 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
4 hours ago, Mae45 said:

 

Oh! that's not a bad idea. I might have to roam through my stuff to find some puzzle books. I think I also have some coloring books a friend gave me awhile back. That could also be another suggestion. 

I HAVE COLORING BOOKS! That's a great suggestion!!!  I have one my mom got me a while ago and it says "Maybe Swearing Will Help" :D Thanks for reminding me!

 

 

50 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

https://trustarts.org/accessibility/audio_description?org=1

 

Call your local area theatres and ask if and when they provide audio description services. A lot more have in the last few years; the Broadway production of Hamilton got sued and it’s been rapidly expanding lately.  If they don’t have access to training but have volunteers, let me know and I’m pretty sure I could hook your people up with some of the best audio description trainers in the country. 

THANK YOU. I'm definitely going to look into this! That is really cool!

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines