• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sciread77

The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale I

There have been quite a few common threads in my goals.

1.  MH.  It is necessary to work on this.  I stopped taking Zyrtec for the last week and it's helped.  Over the weekend I switched over to Allegra at the suggestion of my eldest's best friend's mom, and it seems to be helping the allergies without with exhaustion and black cloud. It's not a 100% fix but it seems to be helping substantially.

2.  Sleep.  Always necessary, always a goal.

3.  Support my wife.  I think I've been doing a decent job here.  We're almost done with the school year, and due to nationals it's going on a lot longer than usual.  Normally, we're reconnecting and winding things down, not preparing for the highest stakes performance yet.

4.  Reading.  It's been extremely helpful altogether, and the kids love it. I recently (read: last couple of weeks) started listening to the Dresden Files audiobooks during the day.  My wife is almost through the series to the most recent book and I'm starting book 7 today.  I have enjoyed very much being lost in the series and it's kept me away from the mentally tiring exercise of compulsive news reading.

5.  Eat right.  Er... not so great.  I've been eating terribly and my weight has been edging upwards.  It's been doing that for all of us.

I basically want to keep the same goals, but with the addition of some physical goals as well.  I think I need those back in my life, as well as more specific food goals.  Looking back, I am most successful when both those other components are involved.  It's been hard to do my bodyweight stuff lately because I hurt my shoulder pretty badly and each time I tried to jump in and do something (usually throwing a small object) I caused the thing to come back.

So I'll be keeping the previous goals, except:

5.  Eat right.  Eat more pulses, veggies, and fruits.  No more than 1 non-contributory food per day, including things like chocolate or pizza.  

6.  Stay active- hit my FitBit goals and stretch daily.  For reference, those are climbing 10 floors, walking 5 miles, burning 3,087 estimated calories, and 30 active minutes. This plus some stretching will help keep me from freezing up. I've been fairly succesful with walking during my Spanish/Russian studies and while listening to audiobooks on my lunch hour.

7.  Ease back into bodyweight exercises.  I've been doing sets of 5 pushups at a time and over the weekend I did some individual pullups.  I'm including my kids in this, working with the eldest two on pushups and learning to do pullups.  The pullup learning/teaching process has me physically assisting them on the pullups, and they're 100 lbs and 50 lbs respectively.  The youngest is 25 lbs and I've been moving with her too.  I've lost quite a bit of strength since the injury and I'm seriously annoyed about it, because it was pretty hard-won. I want to get back to where I was at and then continue on the path to progress. I'm seriously considering the construction of a weighted vest.

I'm throwing around a new update/story process idea. I've been wanting to develop our family mythology more.  Our kids all have their own classes, as do my wife and I, so I think I want to tell some sort of story about the Adventurers of the Lucky Vale, of the House of Hamingja. We're a team of adventurers standing for good and fighting against attacks from an ancient evil we call the Pumpkinhead monster and his 10,000 first cousins.  Thus, this is the beginning of a new series of challenges with a more consistent title structure and themes.  My goals have been fairly consistent and this could let me have some fun actually writing like some of y'all do, too.

• Like 7

We bought the kids summer clothes, came home, and planted the rest of our fruit trees (that we have). We still gotta drive 90 miles north to get the Ranier cherry tree and put the berry bushes in the ground, but those will live year round in those pots if we want them to. 

Today was was a good, active day. I feel good and satisfied, and since I switched out Allegra for the Zyrtec I no longer feel like I’m going to pass out all the time. Hopefully that’s a trend!

• Like 1

As a frequent carrier of a 24lbs toddler (and I am a petite woman), it's definitely a workout! 

I love the family mythology. It's something I want to do, too, although I haven't quite been able to explain the concept to the Mr as well as you have to us. I always aspire to more creative updates on my challenges, but in the end I just manage the plain ones XD 

• Like 2

This is a cool challenge. I like the creativity. 

I too, hate losing strength after an injury. I sometimes imagine our bodies like pizza dough. You shape it, and then let it rest so you can push it farther,  but if you tear it up too much you end up as a ball of dough and start over. Except I never imagine a point where we become delicious pizza, so maybe this idea is extra-silly :D  

i’m glad you are feeling better and ready to roll out! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

As a frequent carrier of a 24lbs toddler (and I am a petite woman), it's definitely a workout! 

For sure! The reason I sometimes train like a warrior is that these are my kids, and they still want to be carried to bed, the car, Disney World, etc. I mean, the oldest is only going to be 6 in 3 weeks and he’s the size of an average 3rd grader. 

3 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I love the family mythology. It's something I want to do, too, although I haven't quite been able to explain the concept to the Mr as well as you have to us. I always aspire to more creative updates on my challenges, but in the end I just manage the plain ones XD 

Me too. I can’t take credit for it; my kids have been pulling the whole thing together. We’re just embracing it, and playing D&D helps with their creativity, I think. We’ll see how creative I am able to be!

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Down with pumpkinhead!

Good luck!

Thanks! I think it’s gonna be a recurring villain. 

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is a cool challenge. I like the creativity. 

I too, hate losing strength after an injury. I sometimes imagine our bodies like pizza dough. You shape it, and then let it rest so you can push it farther,  but if you tear it up too much you end up as a ball of dough and start over. Except I never imagine a point where we become delicious pizza, so maybe this idea is extra-silly :D  

i’m glad you are feeling better and ready to roll out! 

Thanks! I hope it works the way I imagine it. 

I like the pizza dough analogy. *pokes stomach*  I’ve risen quite a bit! 

Im very glad to be recovering. I gotta be careful not to overdo it, as that’s practically my middle name. 

• Like 2

It was a bright, cheery Saturday morning in January when I got the call. I was in the basement, putting away the Christmas decorations now that the days were finally feeling longer.  The tendency to celebrate Christmas earlier and earlier really got to me. I love harvest festivals, and fall was full of them  It never seemed fair for Christmas to infringe where we already had great celebrations only to abandon us throughout the short, bleak days of January and February. As such, I kept my decorations up as long as possible and only dismantled them weeks later. I was ruminating on how unfair it was for a holiday like Valentine’s Day to follow the winter void when my thoughts were interrupted by a call from the other room. 

“Dad, I’m scared. The bunnies aren’t moving.” The voice belonged to a little boy. Rex was almost 4 years old, with shaggy blonde surfer dude hair and dinosaur jammies. He was as tall as most kindergarten kids, with a muscular body carved out like a gymnast. He had some fairy blood, like all our kids, and was part Pucá so I’m pretty sure he shared my Chaotic Good alignment. This is the kid who took his first levels in Rogue, though I suspected he was working to multiclass into Druid this year. His glistening blue eyes beckoned me to the back door where our bunnies lived in their condo. 

“I’m on my way, buddy,” I responded, dropping a box to the floor and moving over to the walkout basement’s door.  I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I put on a neutral expression and knelt down by the condo. They furry little creatures were unnaturally still. 

“Hey, can you go play with your big brother for a while? I’m going to look things over.”  He nodded and bounded off to cause some good-natured mischief, trusting me to handle whatever was wrong.  He hadn’t been outside, and I didn’t want him to see the rest of the scene. 

The sides of the condo and our house were torn to shreds. Chunks of concrete were gouged out of the walls and patio, as if something the size and strength of a grizzly bear tried to get into our home. The condo itself clearly wasn’t the main target; whatever it was could have easily torn that apart. The rabbits themselves showed no physical injury, and probably died from a heart attack. I closed my eyes and stretched out with my senses. My stomach turned as the a sense of rot and decay nearly overwhelmed me, and I shut off my senses. This was definitely no normal animal attack, and the rabbits weren’t just accidental collateral damage. This had been a deliberate act of a frustrated evil. It hadn’t been strong enough to power through the protective wards on our home, but it had wanted to send a message. It killed the bunnies instead, not with claws but with an evil magic. It had torn their spirits directly from their bodies, leaving the poor things with frightened and surprised looks on their faces. 

I cursed quietly to myself, took a few more magical impressions as regular cops took fingerprints, and began the cleanup and repair process. It was going to be a long day, and something told me those Christmas decorations might get to linger a little longer. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Those poor bunnies! :o

It was pretty awful. They didn’t deserve death, and we loved them dearly. 

I remade a lighter version of my duffle sandbag with a smaller duffle and a 25-lb bag of rock salt. As part of my strength training, I am adding various weighted carries to my routine.  Right now I’m alternating arms for suitcase carries and bear hugging as well; those are the most typical carries I experience in life and the most useful grips for me to practice with dead weight along with a cradle-style carry. I’m limiting each suitcase carry to two laps around the big conference room at a time, with every 3rd set a rest, to keep the arthritis from flaring, and then finishing with sets of 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off for the bear hug. This totals between 30 and 40 minutes of walking at a decent clip. I plan to increase the distance I carry with the 25-lb bag and add bigger bags for short spurts when I get some new bags of sand and make the bigger sand duffles. I’m also contemplating the creation of some concrete weights. 

The stair, step, and activity goals are easiest. The calorie meter goal is harder, and while it probably isn’t accurate to plan my diet from I’m using it as a gauge of whether it was sedentary or not on a given day. 

• Like 3

Nearly two hours later, I'd cleaned up the scene and mentally prepared myself for the way I wanted to handle this.  The boys were still playing in the basement, and I wanted to talk to my wife so we could approach the death of their first pets together.  I silently padded past the play room and up the stairs to our kitchen.  I almost reflexively prepared a breakfast of oatmeal, flax, and coffee for my wife and poured out a black coffee for myself.  Most people instinctively understood the subtle magic power of a meal or beverage made with genuine care for a person.  It provided a protection and strength in an of itself, that small act of love, which I think was widely understood among parents and grandparents everywhere.  The breakfast ritual was my favorite form of magic, and after this morning I had a feeling we were going to need all the help we could get.

I was readying a small tray to bring upstairs to our bedroom when my wife Jessie appeared in the kitchen.  She stood at 5'7", four inches shorter than me with short, brown hair tinged with a reddish hue, hip and legs to die for, and radiated strength simply entering the room.  She wore stylish glasses, Minnie Mouse pajamas, and thick woven boot-style slippers.  Possessed of tremendous power, she almost always slept in on the weekends in an attempt to restore her reserves.  I was happy to let her.

"Bad news, babe."

Her warm smile turned into a look of concern.  "What is it?"

I placed the tray on the kitchen table and pulled out a chair for her.  "I wanted to talk to you before the kids."  I sat down as she did, taking a draw of coffee. "Something tried to get in last night, and it killed the bunnies."

"Oh no.  Do the kids know?" She took a sip of her coffee and started on the oatmeal.

"Rex found them.  He doesn't really know what's going on yet, and he's playing with Woody.  I figured we could present a united front on that.  Plus, there's a bigger problem."  Jessie looked at me expectantly. "Whatever it was is pretty powerful.  Our protective wards stopped it, but it gouged holes in the concrete and must have been the size of a bear."

"Any idea who was behind it?" she asked.

I shook my head.  "No, we're going to have to do some investigating."  

"So, have you thought about coming new pet?"  she aked.

"What? I'd rather not right now.  I mean..." She cut me off.

"They're my blood, Zerf.  They're going to immediately want something different.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true."  A Star Wars reference. She was serious, and she was right.

"Maybe a fish?"

"I think you're living in a fantasy world."  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

The names of the character just sunk in.....:wub:

The kids cast our family (including their aunts, uncles, cousins, and godparents) in most movies. BUT. We all go by our Toy Story names on a day-to-day basis. 

Rex: the 4-year-old (who loves dinosaurs)

Woody: the (almost) 6-year-old (who loves Woody and The Law)

P’tato Head: the 19-month-Old (we’re not entirely sure except that I guess she looked lumpy as a newborn?)

My wife: Jessie

Me: Zerf (Zurg, except Rex can’t say that so it's Zerf)

It changes if we watch Zootopia or the Cars movies or Moana or Big Hero 6 or Despicable Me or The Secret Life of Pets... but Rex goes by Rex day-to-day and can get pretty worked up over it lol. They’re amazing kids and usually pretty good at casting. Especially their- well, I just about said their “Electrically Engineer godfather” except that BOTH their godfathers are electrical engineers. Their unmarried godfather. He’s my best friend and hilariously awkward, and he IS Wasabi from Big Hero 6. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

The kids cast our family (including their aunts, uncles, cousins, and godparents) in most movies. BUT. We all go by our Toy Story names on a day-to-day basis. 

Rex: the 4-year-old (who loves dinosaurs)

Woody: the (almost) 6-year-old (who loves Woody and The Law)

P’tato Head: the 19-month-Old (we’re not entirely sure except that I guess she looked lumpy as a newborn?)

My wife: Jessie

Me: Zerf (Zurg, except Rex can’t say that so it's Zerf)

It changes if we watch Zootopia or the Cars movies or Moana or Big Hero 6 or Despicable Me or The Secret Life of Pets... but Rex goes by Rex day-to-day and can get pretty worked up over it lol. They’re amazing kids and usually pretty good at casting. Especially their- well, I just about said their “Electrically Engineer godfather” except that BOTH their godfathers are electrical engineers. Their unmarried godfather. He’s my best friend and hilariously awkward, and he IS Wasabi from Big Hero 6. 

That is wonderful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That is wonderful!

My family is pretty awesome!

Sleep has been harder to come by lately, and likely for a number of difficult reasons.  My sleep tracker has made it easier to quantify and identify that early on though.  I used to have insomnia in spades, which is part and parcel with mania and hypomania. I’ve been on Zyrtec for the last several years, which has kept me fatigued enough that I could sleep, but I’ve not had any since Mother’s Day and Allegra doesn’t have the same effect. It’s a double edged sword. I’m glad I don’t feel super exhausted, but sleep is super important and the last thing I want is to careen into a bad mood destabilization as we head into summer, which is traditionally my worst season. Ironically, the lower daytime exposure to sunlight that more or less crippled me in the winter is probably going to be a  desperately welcome reprieve in the summer. 

Also, lack of sleep affects muscle recovery. Which I don’t want to have to contend with either. 2 

Another bright side is having technology like the sleep tracker that makes it so much easier to identify trends early. I don’t FEEL tired, so a relatively small shift is a lot harder to notice. It can feel like I’m up an extra 10 minutes if I’m up for several extra hours. But the numbers identify a clear trend for me to take action with. Which is exciting. 

I didn’t get the recycling out this week, though with our latest Reduce-Reuse-Recycle/compost efforts it hardly matters. I’m still excited about how well that’s going. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

My family is pretty awesome!

Sleep has been harder to come by lately, and likely for a number of difficult reasons.  My sleep tracker has made it easier to quantify and identify that early on though.  I used to have insomnia in spades, which is part and parcel with mania and hypomania. I’ve been on Zyrtec for the last several years, which has kept me fatigued enough that I could sleep, but I’ve not had any since Mother’s Day and Allegra doesn’t have the same effect. It’s a double edged sword. I’m glad I don’t feel super exhausted, but sleep is super important and the last thing I want is to careen into a bad mood destabilization as we head into summer, which is traditionally my worst season. Ironically, the lower daytime exposure to sunlight that more or less crippled me in the winter is probably going to be a  desperately welcome reprieve in the summer. 

Also, lack of sleep affects muscle recovery. Which I don’t want to have to contend with either. 2 

Another bright side is having technology like the sleep tracker that makes it so much easier to identify trends early. I don’t FEEL tired, so a relatively small shift is a lot harder to notice. It can feel like I’m up an extra 10 minutes if I’m up for several extra hours. But the numbers identify a clear trend for me to take action with. Which is exciting. 

I didn’t get the recycling out this week, though with our latest Reduce-Reuse-Recycle/compost efforts it hardly matters. I’m still excited about how well that’s going. 

figuring out sleep is so difficult! There are so many variables that can keep one awake, i’m glad you’re unraveling the mystery of your insomnia

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

figuring out sleep is so difficult! There are so many variables that can keep one awake, i’m glad you’re unraveling the mystery of your insomnia

Thanks! It’s not been a major issue since the oldest was born. Aside from rough patches here and there, I’ve been able to stay on top of it by staying proactive. That’s why it’s always a stated challenge goal! 

• Like 1

She was right. Less than an hour later, we were all dressed and walking into one of the local pet stores in search of a new pet. We’d been honestly descriptive with the kids, without providing the full details that included an attack on the house. Instead, we told them that while they were physically safe, something had scared them to death. Woody and Rex were devastated at the loss, but took comfort in knowing that they went together and without pain. Within minutes of that, they began furiously debating what new pet they should get. 

I walked in next to Woody. Woody was not quite six years old. He had a young and pudgy baby face and dirty blond hair ending in a Padawan braid. His face threw people off since he already stood 4 foot 6 inches and weighed a hundred pounds. He was built like a linebacker and was easily the size of a kid twice his age. Either in spite of or because of his size, he was a kind and gentle boy. His green and brown eyes were usually smiling, though he possessed a temper that was easily set off by injustice. Woody had already multi classed with levels in fighter and bard, and with his sense of justice I’d be unsurprised if he took Paladin levels someday.  

“Hey Woody, I’ve got some business to take care of. Can you take your brother to look at-“

”Sure!” he said, cutting me off and grabbing Rex’s hand. They immediately took off towards the small pets. Jessie nodded at

me and the toddler followed them over.

I slipped behind a door to the employee-only area, through the warehouse area to the loading docks. I had some questions for Ed.  Something inhuman was after us, and there was a good chance he had heard something about it. 

• Like 4

Exciting news, fellow adventurers! Today, we officially figured out our vacation plans, and I’m out of my mind excited. We’re taking a leisurely road trip through the Southwest, stopping by the Grand Canyon, then staying a couple nights in Anaheim to go by the Disney California Adventure Park and Disneyland (as well as probably meeting up with my sister-in-law’s family including my brand new niece), and driving back on a route further north. We’re going to stop and do 1-2 short, leisurely hikes a day. This is the style of adventure vacation I’ve been looking forward to, and our kids are old enough to start doing them. This is probably the best year for one of these for a while because if we have a new baby, we’ll be on the new baby schedule again for a while. 

In any case, this is the kind of thing I train for. This exact stuff. Up to and including carrying small, medium, and large children for distances lol. 

The best part is that Woody and Rex are already calling it our Adventure Vacation, and they’ve decided to train by loading their little travel backpacks up with bottles of water and spare change and playing follow the leader in our yard with the dogs. By my calculations, they can go about 0.4 miles without tiring. That’s good since we’re planning hikes of about a mile each and I’m currently at a 50-lb pack while carrying 25lbs in my arms for 3-5 miles at a time on a hard day. So I could actually carry all of our supplies. 

Woohoo!

• Like 5

Today is the Encore show of She Kills Monsters. It’s part fundraiser, part test run for the new set we had to build, and something I’m super proud of my wife for since it’s part of the Nationals journey. I’m proud of the impact her show has had, how much it means to the kids, and of being one of the people who helps spread the message of love, acceptance, and the shared humanity of us all. 

Last night, the kids and I gave my wife a brand new Bosch impact driver along with her own set of drill bits. She’s been wanting one for a long time. It caught her by surprise and I think it helps her see that her kids are proud of her, too, and think she’s great even if this job keeps her away long hours. Hopefully it’ll be something we transition out of but I think stuff like this will help her bear out the time she has to stay. 

Myself, I’m about 10% tech director, 10% empathetic ear (for my wife and the students), and 80% jack-of-all-trades gopher. I don’t enjoy her long hours but I do like my involvement with the shows and being around the energy of teenagers. It helps me keep from being mentally old. Or from getting too mature. And I get to deliver my amazing puns. Like the reason I got her the drill. 

Because She Drills Monsters. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Your vacation plans sound amazing! And it sounds like your family is also amazing :) i hope you have a wonderful time. 

Thanks! It’s one of the many dream vacations. My family is the best. They’re my favorite people and I’d basically always rather be with them than anyone else. 

We’ve driven to and from Florida a few times but this’ll be different. Going to and from Florida, we’re always pushing as hard as possible to get to the end destinations because we were planning to spend time in Disney World, the Kennedy Space Center, or a cruise. This time, we’ve got several stops, with the longest in Anaheim to do a stop at Disney Land and meet up with some people. But otherwise, our vacation is pretty drives, a lot of historic Route 66, and a boatload of hikes. 

Major bonus: we’re heading into Triple D country. Not sure about anyone else here, but probably my favorite show on TV is Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-in’s, and Dives. 4 years ago for our anniversary, we went on a vacation to Tyler Island with the route planned around restaurants featured on the show. And now almost every city we’re staying in has at least 1 option. I love trying new and interesting local food as part of my exploration of a place, as well as listening to local music or music based on a given area (“Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see. It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me.”)

• Like 4

I forgot to mention that this challenge culminates in the nationals show. So I’m effectively training for 2 events, both a week or more long, separated by approximately four days. The first will start pretty intense then taper off into a more relaxing trip. The other will be leisurely but include a lot more hiking than I usually do, and include a mini Disneyland/California Adventure Park event lasting 2 days. I’m pretty psyched and generally motivated to work hard to ensure that my shoulder is back up to snuff and that my calves don’t freeze up (see my early challenges for the details there).  I think that the carries have been strengthening my shoulder capsules as well. But my calves have been pretty stiff in the morning, to the point that I’ve nearly reinitiated the full Alfredson Protocol. 

• Like 5

We talked today and decided to take steps to acclimate ourselves to the heat before going. We’re usually polar bears and I’ve not been quite right since I got heat exhaustion the first time I tried to break my high school's mile record. 

So the deal is this: spend at least 2 hours a day outside, preferably not in the sun, to give our bodies a chance to get used to the heat before going on a string of hikes throughout the Southwest and West. From what I’ve read, that’s enough to trigger acclimation and we should see results within 2 weeks. It’s mostly taking the form of outdoor playing, dinners, gardening, etc. We were probably going to achieve it anyway but we want to make sure we actually got enough to reap the benefits. 

I did over 5 miles with a load of some sort today; the first half inside with my 25-lb bag, the second half mowing the lawn (and leading 3 small backpackers). The hills going to our backyard make mowing a much more substantial chore than the flat yard I had as a young kid, and my parents just bought a tractor for the half acre. 

MH is ok. The weekend was rough. I was stressed, snappy, and yelled a lot followed by basically a whole day of guilt and shame. Not cool at all. We also almost went through San Diego and decided against it for a variety of reasons, the least of which is not that’s where my recently departed friend lived. 

We saw Come From Away and it was fantastic. I basically cried through the whole thing and my wife even cried a few times. While I’m usually waterworks during shows and movies, my “cold German wife,” as she jokingly refers to herself, isn’t usually as touched. We immediately ordered the soundtrack and two books about the story. 

• Like 4

Slow start to the morning. My wife had trouble sleeping last night and the thunderstorm we had brought a migraine with it. Plus, I was hoping for a longer than usual night’s rest to help with recovery. That triceps extension press carry I did has weirdly effected a lot of unexpected muscles, the actual least of which were my triceps. Part of the point of carries vs the usual free weight exercises is the additional work of the core, but sometimes it’s really surprising what works to stabilize a new carry. 

• Like 2