The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale I

I forgot to mention that I ordered our Ranier cherry tree Monday. They had a sale online and the shipping is less than the gas required for me to drive all the way up north and get it myself. So this weekend, our fruit tree plantings shall be complete! 

*cackles maniacally*

• Like 4

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I forgot to mention that I ordered our Ranier cherry tree Monday. They had a sale online and the shipping is less than the gas required for me to drive all the way up north and get it myself. So this weekend, our fruit tree plantings shall be complete! 

*cackles maniacally*

YES! That's awesome!!!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YES! That's awesome!!!

I’m pretty excited. It’ll complete the pollination needs for the Bing. I mean, keeping in mind it’ll probably be a few years before they bear fruit. These things are only about 3 feet tall right now. But the goal was to get them in the ground in the same year so we can expect them to bear fruit in the same first season.

I’m a cherry maniac and there’s no such thing as enough cherries or blueberries in this family. 

• Like 1

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I love reading the stories of your family (both the reality and fantasy ones). They remind me of why I consider having a little pack myself some days ^_^ Your adventure holiday sounds awesome!

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

47 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

I love reading the stories of your family (both the reality and fantasy ones). They remind me of why I consider having a little pack myself some days ^_^ Your adventure holiday sounds awesome!

Thanks!  And likewise.  I was up in the air about having kids for a while.  Not because I didn't want kids, because I've always wanted them and liked them, but because I'd never met anyone I wanted to have kids with.  Especially the last couple of women I dated before I met my wife.  Having a pack of kids is awesome, exhausting, and chaotic.  It's definitely not for everyone but I love it.

The adventure holiday is going to be epic.  We've fleshed it out even more and I think this is going to be the most fun vacation I've ever been on.  We only have 2 instances in which we'll be driving more than 4 hours between planned stops.  We're all very excited about this, although I'm sad to realize that all my old backpacks are gone. There's only the relatively small backpack diaper bag left and some of my wife's backpacks.  Although to be fair, I used to live the nomadic life of an adventurer and my old backpacks were pretty badly beaten up.  At least, they didn't look nice enough to steal lol.

Tonight, my wife will be at the high school graduation and I'll be at home with the rest of the party.  I stopped by the hardware store to pick up wood and sand last night; wood to build bed and couch ramps for our little weiner dog and sand to put in buckets for farmer's carries.  

On another note, I've had and struggled with tight calves for a long time, and I think I might know why.  It's practically a running gag in my family and amongst my coworkers that I move quite silently.  Even when I'm doing my power walks holding sandbags, I usually complete them in an empty conference room and quietly enough that I can leave the room without people even noticing that I'm there.  It's funny, because my family (parents, sister, extended family) walk like a herd of elephants.  I naturally walk quietly, which tends to leave me more on the tips of my toes and carefully controlling my descent to the rest of my foot.  I even run quietly on the balls of my feet, and this means that my calves spend a lot of time in a shorter position than usual.  I think it stems from anxiety, and the sometimes guilt and shame I've felt through various stages of my struggles with mental health.  When I feel bad about myself, I make myself silent and invisible, and three decades of practice I'm pretty good at it.  I've also practiced it in earnest as an older sibling, older cousin, and parent trying not to wake the babies. Even further, I am a child of the night and have spent many hours doing my thing while everyone else sleeps.  My introverted self enjoys the time alone.  All those things come together and it seems I've got a couple classes of Rogue right there.

• Like 4

Spoiler

For @Waanie:

I finally got everything in the ground and took a couple of pictures. At least, the fruit rows. 

The first is our fruit tree row. From front to back: Ranier Cherry, Bing Cherry, Fuji Apple, Pink Lady Apple, Peach, and Japanese Plum. 

The next is our fruit bush row. From front to back: Blueberry, blackberry, blueberry, blueberry, golden raspberry, raspberry, white strawberry, white strawberry, red strawberry, red strawberry. All the blueberries are highbush and the first one will probably die as it was attacked by bunnies shortly after planting a couple of weeks ago.

In any case, it’s highly unlikely we’ll have any fruit this year. Next year, I’m expecting a pound or two from half the berry bushes, then the year after that harvest from all the berry bushes,

and within 5 years (hopefully more like 2-3) we’ll start getting fruit from our trees. Full grown they each will provide a couple hundred pounds of fruit each, but I plan on keeping them pruned to a more manageable size and that’ll probably limit the yield to something in the 50-lb each ballpark. In any case, we spend between $50 and $100 a week on fruit so it’ll easily be worth the investment even if the yields are relatively low. Based on my research and our growing zone, by year 5 I expect we’ll have a harvest lasting from April to October. If I’m most wrong it’d be June to October. 

Some of my fondest memories were of picking grapes, cherries, plums, and nectarines from my grandmothers’ little orchards. 

EC2DCFD9-CFE1-42DF-80C8-4BBD9B2CB343.jpeg

B423E87A-1EB5-408D-B3CB-27C5514785E7.jpeg

5C5BE416-076E-4834-9190-5D5A1B8B79E0.jpeg

• Like 7

Spoiler

I forgot to note, the last picture is one of the (many) bare spots my oldest chose to plant flaxseed.  It has pretty flowers and it'd be cool to grow some of our own flax.  He chose every bare spot on our property.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Ed was by the loading bay, scribbling on a clipboard next to a truck bearing more merchandise.  He was tall, balding trimmed with white-speckled brown hair cut close, and 50 year old.  Ed was thin. His spindley arms and legs looked just a little bit too long.  His feet sported brown penny loafers, and he wore light colored pleated khakis and a pastel pink long-sleeved dress shirt topped off by a navy blue bow tie.  Ed had a well-trimed goatee, light wire-rimmed glasses, and a pleasant business smile that transformed into a wide grin when he noticed me.

"Zerf!" he called, handing the clipboard back to the driver while reaching across the room with his opposite arm to shake my hand in a single fluid motion. "How's the family? Still have the mini-farm, I take it?"  

I grimaced and looked up.  Ed was at least half a foot taller than me. "Hi Ed," I said, shaking his hand. "I'm afraid we're not so good.  Something attacked the house last night, and I'm afraid it got Snow and Flower."

"I'm sorry to hear that."  He frowned.  "Did you see it?" 

I shook my head.  "I'm afraid not, but it tore up the house something fierce."  

"And?"

"And it didn't just kill the Snow and Flower.  Their bodies were fine; not a scratch on them.  It's as if they just stopped living, and spiritually there was nothing.  As if their soul was simply removed from their bodies." I swallowed. "The kids are pretty upset over the loss, but this is really scaring me.  It's outside of my usual realm of things, but it feels dark."

Ed was shaking his head. "This is bad, Zerf.  I could really use your help."  I arched an eyebrow.  "I can help you find out what's going on, but in return I need you to do me a tremendous favor. Something that falls within your specialty."  In less than half a second, my face flashed from rage to annoyance to frustrated curiosity.  I hadn't been looking for another thing to do. "I'll pay you well for your troubles," he added quickly. 

"Go on," I said somewhat begrudgingly.  "I'll help if I can."

"The Unseen Nations are meeting to settle a series of high-profile disputes on Monday.  One of them concerns my Druidic order and the continued impact the Dragons' favorite economic activities are having on the habitats we're attemping to protect."   Ed worked with other druids to conserve natural resources and ensure a stable environment, and I'm sympathetic to the cause.  "The Ambassador of the Dragons arrived on his flight to Lambert Thursday, but he's disappeared from his room and nobody has seen him."

"It's a setup?"

"I don't know, but he's reasonable as far as dragons are concerned, and the leader of the contingent dedicated to negotiate instead of declaring war."

"Ah.  So he's who you want to sit down with, and suddenly he's gone missing."

"Bingo."  Ed turned around and rummaged through his desk before handing me a beat up manila folder. "Here's what I was able to find yesterday."  I looked through it, and nodded.  He'd been staying with another druid in the area.  She was a druid, like most good pet store owners were. "I've got a dignitary myself, from the fae realm, and they're staying with locals all over the region." 

"Fair enough.  And you want me to find this one so you're working with a dragon of pure motivations?"

"That's where you come in, yes.  Find him, protect him, and ensure he's still operating under Astilabor's influence instead of a darker power, and that's all I can ask for."

"You're too kind to Astilabor."

"Says a full and reputably powerful member of her own priesthood."  I flinched.

"Touche."  It's true that in my day job, I was middle management for one of the many human organizations dedicated to Astilabor and other deities like her.  I didn't particularly like that fact, or the reputation that could come with it.  Even if I did my best to mitigate harm and maximize good. I deflected the subject.  "Any the thing that attacked us?"   

"The rumor is that a new power is rising and looking for a seat at the table.  The conference is it's chance, and it's gathering power.  Yours was not the only home attacked last night, and several people and animals have gone missing."

"And it plans on using the hostages to increase its power enough to force the other Unseen Nations to recognize it for membership."

"Bingo."

I turned to leave. "Thanks Ed.  Remind me to never invite you to a Bingo night."  He laughed.  I turned the knob, and as I turned it an explosion of force and sound threw me backward and into blackness.

• Like 6

Spoiler

On 5/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, Sciread77 said:

I was up in the air about having kids for a while.  Not because I didn't want kids, because I've always wanted them and liked them, but because I'd never met anyone I wanted to have kids with.  Especially the last couple of women I dated before I met my wife.  Having a pack of kids is awesome, exhausting, and chaotic.  It's definitely not for everyone but I love it.

I spent most of my life on the fence about children--usually leaning toward "nah" (but always figured it there was an "accident" I'd be fine with it). Of course, this made me popular to partners who didn't want kids and so I figured "no kids" would be the way. Then in my mid-30s Mr came along, and he was also on the fence, but leaned toward "yes" (although at his stage of life expected it was more likely he'd be a stepfather) and after a couple of years of discussion, we decided to go for it before we lost the chance forever.

We won't have a pack of kids (I'm about to turn 40, Mr is over 50) and I'm not sure a pack would be for us (we don't love chaos), but I still love seeing other people and their packs. There is a part of me that had I met the right person, much younger, wanted to be Molly Weasley. Particularly right now since we are debating trying for one more before it's no longer a viable option. (Emotionally, we'd both like one more, but pragmatically I think that one might be the optimal number for the lifestyle/careers/interests we want to pursue or continue pursuing.)

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Somehow I missed your challenge, sorry for that!

The fruit-garden is lovely, and I hope that you will have some fruits on it next year or the year after. From my experience (friends, family, etc.), I think that most berries already give fruit either in the same year or the year after, and the trees might also give a few apples next year as well. I don't know your climate, but May-October sounds about right for those plants if you'd live in The Netherlands, and many fruits can either be stored for a long time, be frozen or be made into a sauce/puree that keeps forever. Next to saving costs, homegrown fruit is also nice because it typically tastes better than store-bought as well :). Anyway, I love your garden :).

8 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I spent most of my life on the fence about children--usually leaning toward "nah" (but always figured it there was an "accident" I'd be fine with it). Of course, this made me popular to partners who didn't want kids and so I figured "no kids" would be the way. Then in my mid-30s Mr came along, and he was also on the fence, but leaned toward "yes" (although at his stage of life expected it was more likely he'd be a stepfather) and after a couple of years of discussion, we decided to go for it before we lost the chance forever.

We won't have a pack of kids (I'm about to turn 40, Mr is over 50) and I'm not sure a pack would be for us (we don't love chaos), but I still love seeing other people and their packs. There is a part of me that had I met the right person, much younger, wanted to be Molly Weasley. Particularly right now since we are debating trying for one more before it's no longer a viable option. (Emotionally, we'd both like one more, but pragmatically I think that one might be the optimal number for the lifestyle/careers/interests we want to pursue or continue pursuing.)

I totally understand. Two kids are more than double the commitment of one, and three adds yet another layer because they outnumber the adults. As it is, I work hard to be able to physically carry all of them at once and the chaos is occasionally a little overwhelming.   I will say that it seems to be easier having kids closer together in age, and they tend to be closer.  I also know I’m at least slightly insane, because I think little kids are tremendous fun and most of the time I don’t mind the chaos. I’m a fan of people figuring out what works for them!

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Somehow I missed your challenge, sorry for that!

The fruit-garden is lovely, and I hope that you will have some fruits on it next year or the year after. From my experience (friends, family, etc.), I think that most berries already give fruit either in the same year or the year after, and the trees might also give a few apples next year as well. I don't know your climate, but May-October sounds about right for those plants if you'd live in The Netherlands, and many fruits can either be stored for a long time, be frozen or be made into a sauce/puree that keeps forever. Next to saving costs, homegrown fruit is also nice because it typically tastes better than store-bought as well :). Anyway, I love your garden :).

Thanks! After suffering through the dramatic change from the last one, I thought you’d like to see the job actually done.    I think our season will vary based on the weather; we’re a hot-summer humid continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Last night, I had a terrible nightmare. My brain was definitely gunning for me. 

I was with my family, and my sister and her family, at a church retreat. Not one of our churches, and it was mostly unknown people although my former roommate was performing in a large show they were putting on. It was in a multiple setting style in this large old mansion and the accompanying estate. 

It was weird but ok at first. They had childcare run by several people for the show and my former roommate was flipping out and really needed a hug, which I happily gave him before they performed a scene in the Olympic-sized pool. After that scene the cast and everyone else started moving on to the next area when I spied my Princess by the poop. She was really close to the deep end and nobody seemed to be paying attention, so I called to

Jessie to come over and immediately went and scooped my little Princess up. But as I did, I spied several kids her age and younger under the water and not able to swim. 

I handed her her off to Jessie while saying “get help” and kicking off my shoes, then I jumped in and started pulling them out, and performing emergency resuscitation along with Jessie and a few others until the paramedics arrived. They all survived, apparently without permanent damage but they went to the hospital. 

That’s when it got much scarier. Because nobody wanted to talk about why a bunch of toddlers and infants ended up in the bottom of the pool. Many people would only talk about how I was a hero for noticing and saving them. It felt clear that they 1. Knew and were hiding the how and why and 2. We’re clearly exploiting my desire to be a hero to distract me from the important questions that I was asking and 3. That we were all in great danger. 

We refused to put down our child and fled the crowd. I found my sister and her husband with our boys and their son in an upper room of the mansion, and at some point they’d all gone upstairs to watch a movie but our youngest wanted to keep playing.  Somehow we got out, and I woke up shortly thereafter.  

But it unlike most dreams that fade, this one has been sitting on my mind all day. The faces of those babies under the water. The terror of facing an enemy that knew everything about me down to the best ways to try to manipulate me. It’s unsettling. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Two kids are more than double the commitment of one

Sometimes people have said two are more than double the work of one (and some have said less than). I'm curious as to what you meant with the word commitment

10 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Last night, I had a terrible nightmare.

Oh my goodness, that is an awful one. 

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

On 6/2/2019 at 3:34 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Sometimes people have said two are more than double the work of one (and some have said less than). I'm curious as to what you meant with the word commitment

In most senses of the word.  It’s usually more than twice as expensive, more than twice the amount of work, and more than twice the feels. In some ways, it does become easier. You’re committing to live a more kid-centered life. There are some economies of scale with toys, since almost all little siblings hero worship older siblings and this want to play with things they like. They do have a friend to play with if they’re close enough in age, though this is a double edged sword. Example: two of my little friends got up, made breakfast, fed the bearded dragon, and let the dogs out this morning. They sort of destroyed the kitchen, we’ve got a cricket loose in the house, and we don’t have a fenced yard so I ran outside in just my duster to supervise. 

When you have two, it becomes a lot harder for one  person to take care of them, whereas having one it’s extremely easy to trade off when one needs to get work done or needs a break. My kids in particular begin to obsess over whoever is not there. I received no less than 10 FaceTime calls Friday while I was at work because we’ve got 3 and they made it their life goal to call me.

When one gets sick, they’re almost all guaranteed to get sick and not necessarily at the same time.  And parenting that worked well for our parents and grandparents is basically illegal these days. I’m not talking beatings. I’m talking letting kids go outside without constant supervision and the like, and probably well meaning people will call the cops and DFS when they see an unsupervised kid. Depends on where you live a bit, but child negligence laws are part of what drive us to be paranoid and overinvolved, and that contributes a lot to the work and difficulty. This is part of why my current house and neighborhood is so much better that the last; with lots of kids this age there are always parents outside and supervising whatever kids are around, and we’ll watch each other’s kids while making dinner or doing a big project or something like that. But that’s becoming less and less common. 

I think a lot of what’s going on is variation, too. Kids aren’t identical so there’s still a while process of figuring them out since a lot of what works for one won’t with the other. My oldest is super cautious, and lawful good to a fault.  My next one know no fear, is the living embodiment of chaos and is the kind that climbs everything he comes in contact with. My youngest is the only one we’ve had a series of choking issues with. If you had two quiet introverts who spent all their time reading and organizing their Legos, like me as a child, it probably would be easier. But we seem to be invariably paired with extroverts. Or you get lucky like me, and get 3 extroverts lol. 

Keep in mind that a lot of people are part of the secret parenting society led by Dana Carvey’s Mother-in-Law, who downplay kids in attempt to get other people to have more. Reference: 12:30 into the special, though the whole thing is worth watching for parents. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

Thanks for the thorough response! I find a lot of people just spout vague cliches when it comes to having/raising children, and what I really want are the reflective details. 

You're welcome.  Some of the cliches are true, of course, but they're also often useless unless you've already been through it. It can be hard to understand why things can escalate so much faster than a standard arithmetic explanation until you have two kids and a dog throw up on you at once.  With the one kid that was sick, and you were probably holding since he's the only one, your shirt gets messy. When you add the second who is on the floor and gets triggered because little brother throwing up grossed him out, you get a slick booby trap taking you down on the hard tile floor, too. 

that-escalated-quickly-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Some of the cliches are true, of course, but they're also often useless unless you've already been through it. It can be hard to understand why things can escalate so much faster than a standard arithmetic explanation until you have two kids and a dog throw up on you at once.

I think the cliches are almost universally true, but yeah, they don't mean anything until you're experiencing them. Especially since near as I can tell people spend 99% of their time complaining in great detail about their kids and then summing it all up "but it's soooo worth it!" Until someone could actually tell me about how it was worth it, I wasn't sold on the idea XD

On our trip to France last year, we all caught Noro Virus. I had to run laundry on Day Two, because I'd already run through a week's worth of clothing due to being constantly vomited upon by the poor little guy. (The adults caught it a day or two later and joined in the "fun.") You were commenting on Mae's thread that your holidays with your wife and/or kids have been far better than your ones alone. I mostly agree with it, but the trip we did to France (in the same town, same cottage) before we had the baby was definitely better ;) More wining and dining, no vomit.

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

24 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

On our trip to France last year, we all caught Noro Virus. I had to run laundry on Day Two, because I'd already run through a week's worth of clothing due to being constantly vomited upon by the poor little guy. (The adults caught it a day or two later and joined in the "fun.") You were commenting on Mae's thread that your holidays with your wife and/or kids have been far better than your ones alone. I mostly agree with it, but the trip we did to France (in the same town, same cottage) before we had the baby was definitely better ;) More wining and dining, no vomit.

Oh, for sure. 

Tybee Island was fantastic the way I set it up because we got to go deep sea fishing, stay up all night for ghost tours, and other things you can do with adults but not with children.  We're planning to go on an EF tour of New York and another of Europe that we'll be doing without kids over the next two years; some travel with little kids is difficult.  Especially since we'll likely have to get those ridiculously expensive and short-term kid passports. 

But between the just us and the huge amount of traveling I did alone or just with friends before I met my wife and anything we've done since, which has almost all been together, I'll take my wife anyday.  She is always great to travel with.  And the kids are pretty great, too.  Just not for every trip!

• Like 1

Spoiler

It’s been a tiring week. I’ve had a terrible headache on and off all day. Rex decided to make his own oatmeal for breakfast but forgot the water and decided a quick 11 minutes was all it needed in the microwave. I’ve never seen someone burn oatmeal before, but it was legitimately on fire when I took it outside. I’ve smelled like smoke all day. 

Last night we went out for Woody’s birthday. We had a lot of fun at a pizza place and left just in time for a blinding downpour. 

I’ve been hitting my goals this week but my grip needs some extra recovery, and possibly my ankles too. I’m backing off a bit and making it more of a light active recovery week. We’ve got a birthday party to be ready for this week, the bloody play set still isn’t done due to downpours when I’ve been able to work on it, and the house is a complete wreck. 

I’m pretty tired right now, but we’ve got a lot of work to do before Sunday afternoon.  I really wish my workplace supported naps instead of the appearance of productivity. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Naps are the best. But keeping your job works too :D 

i hope you feel better soon

Thanks. While I gotta keep my job for now, the sad fact is I’d easily get twice the work done with far better quality in my 8-9 hours there if 2 were dedicated to a nap in a cool, dark room. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Just a quick update. It’s been busy. 

Marinara, Woody’s godfather, came over yesterday to help us finish putting up the playset. It took another 12 hours but we did it and went out for Chinese buffet food afterwards. 

Now we’re prepping for Woody’s party in about 2 1/2 hours. I had a migraine but nuked it with meds this morning. Jessie is tired from the week and from the long work yesterday but it should be pretty fun. I’m pretty sore from yesterday but in a good way. 

I forgot to mention that, in quite the proud moment, the reason we were able to finish the playset is that we used all the directions. English, Spanish, and French. I used the French mostly, but we all traded off because everyone reads the Spanish well enough. Marinara and I figured out that a typo in the English version is what cost us about 2 hours and a big part of our sanity; the typo was not present in the Spanish or French versions. We also, jokingly at first, started speaking in Spanish whenever we used the Spanish instructions and... it worked well enough for everyone that we just stuck with it for the day, with bits of French and English. It was the first time I’ve spoken Spanish, relaxed, conversationally, outside of work for the day. Usually, we’re saying more basic things and teaching the kids. But it was nice to just talk and not be under the pressure I have at work. The best part is that it wasn’t just me, it was everyone, and that’s what I am referencing in the goal you’ll find in my signature. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

Good job on finishing the playset :). It's a pity that none of the instructions were very complete, but I'm glad you managed it. People always complain about IKEA instructions, but it sounds like this was much worse than the IKEA picture instructions!

At least your kids can now climb and play on it :).

• Like 1

I have a biometric screening tomorrow at work. The toddler is, I think, super over tired and slept in our bed the last two nights. I’m laying in her room in hopes that she falls asleep since she’s not crying while we’re in the same room. I’d like to get a good night’s rest before the screening. 

I’m not a big fan of corporate wellness programs. I know I post some relatively personal stuff here, but I’m also not actively handing it over to my employer and mostly they want the data important to them put in their way, and I just don’t care enough to waste my time on something unimportant. I am glad I get a check on my blood pressure and the like tomorrow. 

The drawback to the playset is that I think the kids are getting overtired and having trouble sleeping lol. I was able to a couple of pull ups and chin ups out there and we all went down the three slides. I skinned my elbow going headfirst down the tube slide. No regrets. 

I’m working with some occlusion training too. I added a 50-lb sandbag to the 25-lb salt bag and that’s quite a bit more intense, so I’m spending half the week on light bfr training which involves 120 reps at 25-30% my max broken apart over 4 sets with 30-second rests. That’s keeping me active and helping force strength gain while

not actually breaking my body down. I’m mostly working on grip strength calf strength on those days; those are the things that tend to get hurt or fail during events and the roughly 3 weeks of trips are gonna be a pretty epic test. 

Our neighbors are on vacation and they’re borrowing our dogs for pest control. Rabbits don’t usually bother their yard because of their dog (who plays with our dogs) and our Daschund is basically his own certified rabbit death squadron. 

• Like 5

Spoiler