The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale I

The Stanley Cup finally came to StL! Woot!

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

The screening went well. I’m pretty healthy, aside from the chronic arthritis and mental health issues lol. 

In all seriousness, my health has improved substantially over my years-long baseline prior to joining these forums. Right before joining, my primary care physician said my blood pressure was up to prehypertension levels and if it didn’t improve she was going to put me on meds for it.  I had Achilles’ tendon problems bad enough that going to grocery shopping was excruciating.  And I had just started slowly losing weight off my all-time high. Now, my BP is solidly in the healthy range. My diet is much better and I’m more consistently active. The ol’ Achilles still acts up sometimes (like it is now) but I’ve found a program to manage it so it’s an annoyance instead of crippling. Weight has been up and down, and hard to get off and keep off but I’m far stronger and the arthritis hasn’t been nearly as bad. I also don’t feel utterly exhausted all the time, and I didn’t even realize I felt that way for actual years. 

I can’t think of a single thing that is worse off now than then. It isn’t perfect but the support here is phenomenal. The Adventurers are wonderful, as are the others I’ve interacted with.  I could easily be in the Scouts or Rangers.  This modern life we live is overbusy, oversedentary, and isolating. It’s been great to be here and interact with everyone even though none of us have met in person. It’s nice to have adults beyond my wife to talk about this stuff with regularly, and I’ve loved reading about everyone’s lives, challenges, progress, frustration, and victories. 

Now I'm getting all sentimental, I know. But thank goodness I randomly wandered in on this place while making an IRL character sheet a couple of years ago. 

• Like 6

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 6/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Sciread77 said:

It’s nice to have adults beyond my wife to talk about this stuff with regularly, and I’ve loved reading about everyone’s lives, challenges, progress, frustration, and victories. 

Mostly lurker here, at least outside of Warriorland, just piping in to say the feeling's mutual! 

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

On 6/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, Deckard Gainz said:

Mostly lurker here, at least outside of Warriorland, just piping in to say the feeling's mutual! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Spoiler

So we leave Sunday for ITF. We have to load the trailer tomorrow and leave at 6:30 am the next day. This presents some pressure. We’re staying the night with my parents tomorrow so it’s all gotta be ready to go. It’s frustrating that this is usually how packing goes for us.  My wife was supposed to have the day free but got broadsided with crap so I’m stuck at work while she’s trying to do everything. 

I’ve been prepping and getting ahead for both me and others on my team for the last week so people aren’t totally overwhelmed while I’m gone. So I haven’t been as active or following that plan either. But hopefully that should get easier once we’re at the conference and perform the show. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Also, the only other male adult just got his time off cancelled at work. So I’ll be supervising two schools at once and in charge of the lights he designed. We’re really hoping Marinara, the oldest boy’s godfather and my best friend, will be able to fill in last minute because otherwise we’ll be down fully half of our adult team. Can we do it anyway? Yeah. But it’ll be a heck of a lot less stressful with good old Marinara along, and he’s a lot more skilled and experienced with lights than me. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!

No dice on Marinara. So I’m gonna have to do all the heavily lifting on our side of things. The biggest change is driving the truck and trailer from St. Louis to Lincoln, Nebraska and back. That’s an extra 16ish hours of driving I’d hoped to avoid but not a big deal. At least the lighting kids are gonna be in the truck so we’ll be able to figure a game plan. After Monday it’s gonna be pretty low key anyway. 

Packing wasn’t too bad. I forgot my dad’s saw, though, which he wanted to use on a project this weekend. I feel bad but there’s not much going back for it now. 

After a week of pushing hard to get everything possible done for my team while I’m out for most of the next three weeks, I’m hurting. We’re not made to spend 8-9 hours a day hunched over a computer. I was able to bust a couple weeks of work out but I’d quickly fall apart doing that long term. Everything is sore and I feel like I’m freezing up. So part of my goal during this coming week is to move a lot, stay flexible, etc. Also water. I gained a couple of pounds from dehydration (and after a thread a few months or maybe a year ago with @Sylvaa I always think of you) so I’ve gotta make sure I stay hydrated during this and the trip. At work I suck down water all day long.

Also, I had a reminder today why I work on my grip strength. Rex tripped and started to fall down a double flight of concrete stairs. I instinctively grabbed for him and caught his shoulder, but only my thumb and index finger got actual shoulder and the rest just nabbed shirt. It hurt but I had him and kept him from falling. Anyone on here knows I basically strength train for this kind of thing and I’m glad that I do. Because if I didn’t or I’d i had an arthritis flare it would have been a different story. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Also, I had a reminder today why I work on my grip strength. Rex tripped and started to fall down a double flight of concrete stairs. I instinctively grabbed for him and caught his shoulder, but only my thumb and index finger got actual shoulder and the rest just nabbed shirt. It hurt but I had him and kept him from falling. Anyone on here knows I basically strength train for this kind of thing and I’m glad that I do. Because if I didn’t or I’d i had an arthritis flare it would have been a different story

Holy cats! I’m so glad you grabbed him! 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Holy cats! I’m so glad you grabbed him! 

Me too!

• Like 1

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I aim to be strong for practical purposes. This is a great example of why. I’m glad you caught him!

Me too! It’s worth training for. And bonus, it helps while carrying luggage up several flights of stairs when staying on the third floor in a dorm with no elevators!

Spoiler

. And bonus, it helps while carrying luggage up several flights of stairs when staying on the third floor in a dorm with no elevators!

How is this not practical? What kind of life do people live?! #adventurer4ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

10 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Few things are more practical in the life of an Adventurer!

10 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Me too. Y’all are awesome. 

The set is loaded and built, minus two pieces of trim I need a ladder to fix (which will be delivered after lunch). Only 12 hours and 37minutes to go!

• Like 2

Spoiler

We performed twice for an estimated total of 1,675 people. The last run through was by far the best. Then we finished with strike a full half an hour early, had to move all our suitcases and whatnot (which a friend and her students mostly did for us) and my wife and I had to take the truck and trailer to BFE to part and carry all the swag back. It was yet another perfect use of my training. This was an extremely successful event. 

We’re staying in dorm rooms. I’m alone since I’ve the only guy covering two schools and frankly, it’s a lot bigger and nicer than my dorm rooms from college. I kinda liked the crappy accommodations then, and now I’m feeling some solid nostalgia. Though I still wish I could room with my wife. 

I’m going to bed and I feel like I could sleep until Thursday. I probably could if it stayed dark, cool, and quiet. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiler