• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zero Week Goals

1. Get a new book for tracking running/workouts

2. Aim for 5 days of running/week, with one long run

3. Record mileage/elevation/HR, and grade how I feel

4. Use this information to figure out how much training/recovery I can actually handle

Challenge Goals

tbd

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I think I need this challenge cycle.  I am having some difficulty assimilating everything and deciding what I really want right now.  So I am trolling for advice from the collective wisdom that is the Ranger Corp before choosing my goals. :D   What follows is a brain dump relating to everything fitness-y.

Image result for x warrior boneyard

Where I am at:  Black Ops is at the end of this challenge cycle.  This is a brutal 12-hour overnight OCR where I was hoping to qualify for OCR World Championships.  I would still like to try to qualify but it seems unlikely at this point.  Financially I may not be able to travel to England this year regardless.  My strength has not improved much and I still cannot do simple monkey bars.  Running is slowly progressing - this is a source of joy right now as snow recedes from the mountains and more trails open up.  Long-term I still would like to get into more/longer mountain running.  Physio is doing its job of keeping me able to run.

Image result for mountain running rockies

I am having difficulty keeping up intensity in my training.  My new role means more stress and more hours, and I find myself exhausted and hating the thought of hard workouts.

Image result for overtraining

Do I keep focused on peaking (as much as I can) for Black Ops? Or ease up/give up and focus on long-term fitness gains and other life goals?  Drop the intensity until I settle into my new role in a few months or push through it? 

• Like 3

I don't really have advice, except to say that running or hiking in the mountains sounds like a great way to de-stress. Seems like that is something you love. I vote or making time for that  whichever way you go

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I don't really have advice, except to say that running or hiking in the mountains sounds like a great way to de-stress. Seems like that is something you love. I vote or making time for that  whichever way you go

Yeah, I really want to drop the "Q" running sessions in favour of happy, go-at-your-own-pace runs through the mountains.  I can't get out there much on weekdays now, but even an easy run through the park on my way home sounds nice.

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you’re hating it, it’s time to ease up. You’re at the point where something has to give.

Very true.  Maybe I am just looking for permission to quit?  There is a lot of guilt involved in not being as tough as I told myself/everyone else I was.  Plus I really, really wanted to go to OCRWC. :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Financially I may not be able to travel to England this year regardless. 

Very sad to hear this. We would have loved to have done that with you. Nonetheless what the others said is true. It might not be for OCRWC but you will always be welcome to come over and run any race with us. The company is worth far more than the event! 

Following of course! 

• Like 1

us, rangers, have a real thing with Huge goals and insummontable challenges.

cuz' you know

who knows what "insummontable" until you really try.  and I mean I think some of us really, REALLY try!

but sometimes things are Just too big for us! and just too much!!

I was just thinking of "all or nothing" mentality with Salinger and I think it relates here.  you're far from proposing to give up (ha!  I know you well enough to know you Don't!!!)

but, the downside of NOT pushing through it is that it fails like failure and might demotivate you.

on the other hand, if you try something SO intensely your ruining life.  I just can't see bucking down on it!!!

its not a job or a Career

instead the tactical retreat is called for.  not a failure.  not a "nothing", but not "All" either.

reject the false choice.  find some other thought or perspective that captures your passion and devote time and attention to it.

----

thats my advice.  

and just to add one little thing.  I think you pretty much are already thinking it already.

btw; "trail running" is totally my next THING.  and I totally want to focus on hills and rugged terrain (such that we have).  so, cool idea! 

• Like 1

Quick update because I've had a headache for three days and computer screens (or light, sound, movement) hurts.

No running this week at all, mostly too busy. Work, garden, police reports, illness.  Maybe this week will be better. It's sunny at least, and I think my peas are coming up now that it's warmed up a little.

I have to decide if I want to replace  my bike. Its a 500 deductible so it's still going to be tight budget wise to replace even with insurance kicking in to cover the rest.

Food's been meh, but I officially have been tracking every run since there weren't any!

On 5/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, jonfirestar said:

It might not be for OCRWC but you will always be welcome to come over and run any race with us. The company is worth far more than the event! 

^THIS! There are so many UK events and lots of them have a real festival feel to them. We're sure to make something work when you do come over. 

Hope the headache has cleared up. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 8:33 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like a rough week. Hope the headache clears and this week is better. Yay peas!

The week went better, thanks!

On 5/28/2019 at 4:40 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

^THIS! There are so many UK events and lots of them have a real festival feel to them. We're sure to make something work when you do come over.

I'm definitely coming at some point! I need to experience the UK Ranger contingent in person!

18 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

How did your weekend go Kestrel? 

It was actually really good. Thanks for asking :)

• Like 2

Week One Summary 

Week one went cautiously well. Spring has decided to come for good so hiking and gardening are infinitely better.  I hit two 10K trail run/hikes this week and planned a third, but got a little heat sick and spent Sunday resting and having cold baths instead.  After 6 months of freezing weather, a few warm days spent outside is apparently too much.

Work is starting to feel less overwhelming and new so I have more energy at the end of the day - now I  need to direct it to food prep.

Oh, and I ordered a new pullup bar.  The one I have isn't working for me. The only place for it was over the bedroom door, but the door has to be open. So I can't have it up in the morning (my husband is still sleeping when I leave), I can't have it up when we're cooking or all our clothes will smell like food, and I can't have it up when our bird is out. So it just never gets hung up.  The new one will go in the bathroom hallway and won't need to come down.  It should arrive in a week or two.

Random garden update: I have beans! They sprung up overnight with a bunch of leaves already. There are now peas, spinach, three types of lettuce, kale, beets, potatoes, tomatoes and sunflowers growing.  The carrot patch is still just weeds and thistles, but I'm too afraid of hurting any growing carrots to aggressively weed in there.  Monday evenings are garden socials.  Today we weeded out the shared flower bed and drank rhubarb spritzers. :) It makes me feel social without having to talk to anyone. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Week one went cautiously well.

That is really good to hear! Be careful of the heat! 

21 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Week One Summary 

Week one went cautiously well. Spring has decided to come for good so hiking and gardening are infinitely better.  I hit two 10K trail run/hikes this week and planned a third, but got a little heat sick and spent Sunday resting and having cold baths instead.  After 6 months of freezing weather, a few warm days spent outside is apparently too much.

Work is starting to feel less overwhelming and new so I have more energy at the end of the day - now I  need to direct it to food prep.

Oh, and I ordered a new pullup bar.  The one I have isn't working for me. The only place for it was over the bedroom door, but the door has to be open. So I can't have it up in the morning (my husband is still sleeping when I leave), I can't have it up when we're cooking or all our clothes will smell like food, and I can't have it up when our bird is out. So it just never gets hung up.  The new one will go in the bathroom hallway and won't need to come down.  It should arrive in a week or two.

Random garden update: I have beans! They sprung up overnight with a bunch of leaves already. There are now peas, spinach, three types of lettuce, kale, beets, potatoes, tomatoes and sunflowers growing.  The carrot patch is still just weeds and thistles, but I'm too afraid of hurting any growing carrots to aggressively weed in there.  Monday evenings are garden socials.  Today we weeded out the shared flower bed and drank rhubarb spritzers. :) It makes me feel social without having to talk to anyone. 

wow, AWesome.

we literally just planted (most of ours garden) today.  corn, tomatoes, squash, zuccini, beans, green peppers, and prolly a few more things my wife was doing when I wasn't looking.

I'm gigging out on how Early your plants have sprouted.  aren't you in Canada near the rockies?  we consider memorial day or May 31 to be the proper time to plant, so, admittedly, we're a little late.    This is called; the Work conference was Definitely at an inconvenient time for us.... so maybe our recommended planting times aren't THAT different.

anyways.  Gardens are a pretty big deal for us, too and a little reminder that winter passes.  the lord loves us and food can flourish with a little work and effort.

It seems that your reacting to the new direction of you exercise program REALLY well.  thats awesome! 10k trail runs/hike is already IMHO a solid conditioning for trail running.

I do not think I could trail run a 10k.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 5:08 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm so jealous! I used to have an allotment (a plot of land you rent from the local council to grow vegetables) and I loved growing all the things! Unfortunately it got a little too much work for one person so I couldn't keep up with it along with all the other things I was doing (Ranger Brain!). I can't wait until I have a garden so I can have a little vegetable patch. 

Also, rhubarb spritzers sound heavenly.

• Like 2

Just a quick update - proper reply/Week 2 summary/race report to follow when I'm not typing on my phone.

I ran the XWarrior Sprint yesterday. It is a close approximation of one lap of the Black Ops, put on by the same people.  I hadn't been training and didn't want to kill myself so I took it fairly easy at my target pace for the multilap Black Ops. 1:37 which means I can probably aim for 6 laps in the 12 hours including pit stops.  This won't be enough to qualify for OCRWC but it's still one more than last year.

I placed third in my age group. This had me very excited until I saw there were only three in my age group! Most people ran in the open untimed category or did the 6-hour multilap version. I don't have to tell people that part though... XD

• Like 5

On 6/10/2019 at 1:22 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

I placed third in my age group. This had me very excited until I saw there were only three in my age group! Most people ran in the open untimed category or did the 6-hour multilap version. I don't have to tell people that part though... XD

Third place is third place :) It shows that you had the courage to test yourself when so many did not. That is worth the credit. 

• Like 3