• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fonzico

The two in which Fonzico does not crazy

Woof. That blows, but at least you have options worth exploring!

I see some pro/con lists in your future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Eugh due that's super frustrating, particularly when you didn't see it coming. Sending you calm, rational decision making thoughts and a hug! It looks like you're smashing everything else though, keep fighting and don't let this knock you off the path too much!

• Like 1

Ugh. I’m sorry.
Thanks friend.
Bleck. I'm sorry. Especially hard since you didn't know it was coming
Maybe I should have? There's been a lot of layoffs going on lately, but we were told or department was safe for this year, anyways.
Woof. That blows, but at least you have options worth exploring!

I see some pro/con lists in your future

Ultimately it boils down to job security vs a job I like.
Eugh due that's super frustrating, particularly when you didn't see it coming. Sending you calm, rational decision making thoughts and a hug! It looks like you're smashing everything else though, keep fighting and don't let this knock you off the path too much!
Thank you, rational thoughts are needed!
Oh so sorry about the bad news at work. Is there no other place where you could apply for employment in your area? Will pray for wisdom and peace to make the right choice.
I can look, but I would prefer to stay with my employer - I work for a public College, so the compensation and benefits are VERY good, and I really really like my current job! I feel that if I leave the college, it'll be harder to get back in again in the future. It's better to stay employed here in SOME capacity, and wait for what I really want to become available again.

Obviously I've been doing a LOT of thinking, and I've come to terms with the fact that accepting the accounting position is my best option. I didn't want it to be, but now that I've decided, I feel more at peace.
I have the meeting with my probable new supervisor this afternoon, but I doubt it will change my decision.
And hey, at least it comes with a raise?
  • Like 5

Good luck, hope the meeting went well/will go well? Not sure about where we are on the time difference. *hugs*
Sorry to hear about your job. Glad you have options, but sorry they aren't better.
Yikes! Though I'm a bit biased and thing the accounting job sounds great

The meeting was... Not encouraging. I didn't think my mind would be changed, but it totally was. @maigs - you would love it, come move to Canada and work with me!
Haha but I am not you, and I would not like it at all.

However, some new options have come up in the interim.
There is a possibility of a .5 position in the library - it's permanent, so I would have the job security I'm looking for (well, as much as you can have in this environment... I was already a permanent employee before this happened!). And while the position is at a lower pay grade, they would continue paying me at my current rate? We have a weird collective agreement.
They're looking into it though, it's not for sure an option yet.

The other option is a .6 position in my old advising office. I know I wasn't happy there previously, but it was mostly because I was suddenly expected to take the lead when I had no idea what I was doing. This wouldn't be my exact old position, and it would be mostly in-office work.
I'm actually pretty into this option - I really enjoyed the people I worked with there!
But the catch is that the job is in the other union, and there are still layoffs happening there, and those people would have first dibs on the position if they want it.
The supervisor for that area said she'd take me back in a heart beat though.

But I won't know about that option until several weeks after I have to make my decision.

So I'm kind of considering rolling the dice and taking the term contracts in my current office until everything shakes out. Exactly what I said I wouldn't do at the beginning... But the chances are now higher.

Hopefully I'll get more clarity today.

In other news, I'm still slightly panicking about this damn shirt order, because the graphics STILL aren't confirmed so we haven't started working on them!

However, my husband is probably the most amazing person ever, and is being the epitome of calm around here lately with everything, and since he's not panicking it's helping me calm down. It'll be okay.

I have also managed to not eat like a total idiot this week, which I'm super proud of. Binging is most def my go to (false) stress buster.
Lunch-bringing has been a little spotty, but I've been keeping busy in the evenings. I still need to meal plan and grocery shop this week though.

Anyways. Life goes on, it'll all work out in the end.
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

The meeting was... Not encouraging. I didn't think my mind would be changed, but it totally was. @maigs - you would love it, come move to Canada and work with me!

Lol. I was just telling my mom this weekend that if we manage to re-elect Trump I'm done and moving to Canada (I REALLY hope I don't have to find out if that's an idle threat or not...)

As much as I love accounting and that it's a perfect fit for me I definitely understand that it's not for most people and needs the right personality

This may not be helpful, but for me with decisions like this, the right answer is the one that feels right even if it isn't the "best" on paper. If I have to make pro/con lists then I haven't found the right answer yet

• Like 3

This may not be helpful, but for me with decisions like this, the right answer is the one that feels right even if it isn't the "best" on paper. If I have to make pro/con lists then I haven't found the right answer yet

You're so right. I tried really hard to talk myself into the accounting gig... But yeah, if you have to try that hard, it's probably not right.

I am feeling pretty at peace with the plan to try for the advising position. And I confirmed with my current supervisor - she can keep me topped up to full time hours with term contracts until I figure out what's going on. Or, if that plan falls through, until I find something else. Or June of next year. What happens first. Hopefully not that last one.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything else out today, so I will just have to wait until Monday.

FINALLY the graphics for the shirts got confirmed after lunch today. Hubs got started on them today, and we have a good efficient plan to get stuff done tomorrow. This is good.
  • Like 5

Glad the t-shirt situation is under control!

It also sounds like you work at a great place to get laid off from? Uncertainty is always stressful, though it sounds like you have the certainty of them wanting you around and willing to figure out which position would work for you. :)

On 5/23/2019 at 2:12 PM, Fonzico said:

And kettlebells are on hiatus... It's part of the not going crazy thing. They don't run in the summer anyways, but I'll be back at it in September. Kettlebells are my idea of a winter sport!

Sorry I'm late replying to this..I had that kettlebell thing x) 

But good plan, not going crazy always beats lifting stuff. Sometimes the lifting stuff will help with not going crazy and sometimes it won't. 

• Like 1

Glad the t-shirt situation is under control!
It also sounds like you work at a great place to get laid off from? Uncertainty is always stressful, though it sounds like you have the certainty of them wanting you around and willing to figure out which position would work for you.

Hah, yeah I do. Unionized government job, you really can't get any better... Which is why I want to stay!
I just want to avoid taking contact work -I did that for 2 years and I hate the stress and lack of job security... But it might be what I have to do for a little while again.

The t shirting went well today! We actually got more done than expected: 22 shirts are complete, and the other 53 have their fronts done.
The fronts are easier though... But still. I'm no longer stressed about getting them done on time.
  • Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 3:27 PM, Maigs said:

Lol. I was just telling my mom this weekend that if we manage to re-elect Trump I'm done and moving to Canada (I REALLY hope I don't have to find out if that's an idle threat or not...)

Please send him to us! There should be a way somehow that we can make him an election official/citizen for the country and get him voted in.

As much as I love accounting and that it's a perfect fit for me I definitely understand that it's not for most people and needs the right personality

I often got the comment, "but your good at it" from previous employers where I've had to do some finances as part of my job. Yeah, but I don't like it ... at all! Now for the last 15+ years I've had to do my husband's finances as he works for himself. Luckily I just put slips on spreadsheet, sort out the docs, then send the spreadsheet on to real accountant to finalise and send in for tax! I doubt I'll ever totally get away from it, but it isn't full time, full day work, so that saves me from going crazy.

Totally agree!

On 6/1/2019 at 5:37 AM, Fonzico said:

I am feeling pretty at peace with the plan to try for the advising position. And I confirmed with my current supervisor - she can keep me topped up to full time hours with term contracts until I figure out what's going on.

That's good. Glad things are working out more positively.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:37 AM, Fonzico said:

FINALLY the graphics for the shirts got confirmed after lunch today. Hubs got started on them today, and we have a good efficient plan to get stuff done tomorrow. This is good.

Yeah! And good for hubby for staying calm and thus keeping you calm. That's a lot of t-shirts you guys got done. Way to go!

• Like 2

Ugh that sucks, I'm sorry about the job developments. At least it sounds like you have options, and you're approaching them both rationally and intuitively. Hoping for more peace and opportunities for you!

Are the shirts going well (or done?!)! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hiroro said:

approaching them both rationally and intuitively

I really like the way that sounds. A perfect balance and applicable to many things.

• Like 2

I'm alive!

Week three, eh?

Update: We've been camping/disc golfing in the mountains since Thursday (got back Sunday night).
It was a hell of a mixed bag in a lot of different ways.

The weather was reading rainy on Thursday, straight up BLIZZARDING on Friday, and then pretty decent all weekend, aside from some intermittent rain and clouds.
We were pretty cozy in our trailer though so it was all good.

My brother joined us, and it was wonderful spending time with him :)

We also had our shirt shop set up - the course is at the Canmore Nordic Centre, (it was built to host the 1988 Olympic cross country ski events, which is cool).
Anyways, we had access to one of the wax rooms to set up shop. We sold event shirts and our own stuff, and made "champion" shirts for the amatuer winners.

It was successful - it paid for our weekend. But it was so exhausting. I was up at 5am Saturday and Sunday, and was either working or playing disc golf until the end of the day. Including ending our round at 9pm Saturday and having to be back by 630am the next day. I was not a happy camper by the end of it.
I also played poorly, which i partially attribute to being so distracted, and which made me feel even worse about everything.

By the time we were driving home, I was at my wits end and generally losing it.

I feel a bit better today, but honestly I just don't want to do that anymore. If we are making shirts on site, I'm not going to play. Which I hate, but seriously, I can't continue putting myself through this crap.
It's not like it should happen very often - we need an indoor space in order for it to work, which is not typical for disc golf tourneys.
Although now John's talking about trying to do it out of our trailer, and I want to tell him to screw right off with that idea.

But whatever. Rant over. I've already decided I'm skipping the tournament at the end of the month (unrelated to this weekend; I had already decided beforehand) and I'm incredibly happy about it. Not to be missing the disc golf, but I'll have a 4 day weekend, with no obligations??! It's amazing. And John will likely still go, so I'll get some real alone time.

The next major one isn't until August long weekend, so I'm optimistic that I can regain my sanity before then.

No additional work was done on the big shirt order since my last update, but that's okay - we didn't expect to. Which was why the whole situation was so stressful, because we KNEW there would be a whole week where we couldn't work on it.
All good though - John will finish them up in the next day or two, and deliver them Thursday or Friday.

In other news, I dropped a table on my foot when we were unpacking, and it hurts like a mofo. I might have to skip league night tomorrow, if it doesn't improve. Which I'm okay with. I desperately need my house to be clean.
I actually got a decent amount done today, considering that we also unpacked the truck and trailer, and grocery shopped.
Another evening's solid effort will go a long way.

I'm also feeling optimistic about getting my eating habits back into a good space.
Meal planning for the week is done!
And lunch is already packed for tomorrow - leftovers of this excellent salad I made for for dinner tonight (lettuce, sauteed green peppers, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber with a homemade avocado and shallot dressing) and a couple chicken drumsticks.
And I was definitely productive this evening with all the cleaning. And I didn't snack, so it was effective!

Anyways. Solid start to week three. Sorry for the word vomit above.

• Like 4

Here is my meal plan:
8a3dc7104ff91c0e8f6fc57a4e94e67c.jpg

Although as you can see, I've already deviated. But drumsticks were on sale and the prawns were just too expensive.
And we'll have leftover drumsticks tomorrow too, instead of thighs. Maybe with green beans. Maybe just salad. All good though.

• Like 2

Pictures!
Omg so the tournament is called "Big Bear Classic" and sure enough:
5e9ddc39cb91a19e3db0693ceb047217.jpg

Also saw some elk:
d3f8d86b775d0c6ba36487d79bb5d556.jpg

And we actually saw a young grizzly just outside of our campsite Oo. Scary.

Here's my lovely hubby showing off the scenery:
ff328c57cac8f1e087d3756fe54c554e.jpg

And an idea of what the course looks like:
78a7e3e94d5172a4b39c2518426fba9a.jpg

And hey! This guy's wearing one of the shirts we made:
474125f5bec6ff57a4bf631690560161.jpg

• Like 4

Great pics!

I’m glad your life is returning to somewhat sanity - and that your T-shirts are in great demand! That’s awesome!

Bummer about that limiting your play time, but it’s understandable.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm taking my hat off to you guys for throwing through forests. Great, open plains with here and there a tree I can understand, but through a forest? Wow!

I think I'll stick to our monkeys with their monkey business, rather than trade you for bears! :D It is stunningly beautiful there. Glad you had a good time, and that the people were wearing your t-shirts! Awesome!

• Like 1

Ok, I'm taking my hat off to you guys for throwing through forests. Great, open plains with here and there a tree I can understand, but through a forest? Wow!

I think I'll stick to our monkeys with their monkey business, rather than trade you for bears! It is stunningly beautiful there. Glad you had a good time, and that the people were wearing your t-shirts! Awesome!

We have a shirt/hat graphic called ”tree love”, which is what you need to get your disc to bounce a good direction when you hit a tree!
Hearing ”i just couldn't get any tree love out there today" or "so-and-so had all the tree love!" is a common thing ;)

The monkeys probably cause you more trouble, but the bears are much more deadly! Especially a momma with cubs.

It's pretty cool seeing people wear your stuff - we are definitely becoming a thing! You see a ton of "Treeline Disc Golf Apparel" at any Alberta event nowadays!
  • Like 4

Great pics!

I’m glad your life is returning to somewhat sanity - and that your T-shirts are in great demand! That’s awesome!

Bummer about that limiting your play time, but it’s understandable.

The pics are mostly not mine haha but they are very nice :)
Sanity is acomin', I can feel it.
So pretty! Yeah, I can see how trying to sell shirts plus play could be really hard to juggle all the things
Thanks! On both counts. It would help if I could learn not to stress out unnecessarily too, but that's a long term project... In the interim, I'd like to just reduce my stressors.
  • Like 1