• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

This challenge is going to be an extension of the past one, where I’ll keep tracking the activities I do every day, and how do those activities make me feel. Being attentive to what I’ve been feeling has been key to the success of the past challenge, after a few depressing months. Understanding how much I enjoy or dislike some things, helped to fight laziness, and also to avoid that overwhelming feeling I usually have because “there is so much to do”. I never felt overwhelmed during the past challenge, even on the days where I was working non-stop. Awareness has helped me find balance.

Now, I’d like to introduce a couple of new things (nothing so new: cross-country running and handstands) and I’d like to find out whether I truly enjoy them and why I’ve always felt so attracted towards them.

ACTION

TIME SPENT

FEELINGS AND SENSATIONS

WH BREATHING AND COLD SHOWER

MOBILITY

MEDITATION

ICELANDIC

MUSIC PRACTICE

HANGING/PUSHING

YOGA (includes handstands)

OUTDOORS

RUNNING

SKETCHING

GYM

• Like 7

This "things I've learnt" idea is taken from @deftona's old challenges. I liked how she kept a space right at the beginning of the challenge to jot down which things had went wrong and right, what had helped her, and what had she learnt from taking that challenge. I always thought it was a brilliant idea, so now I’m going to shamelessly steal it.

THINGS I'VE LEARNT

• Like 5

How to achieve Level 6

Spoiler

BER --> 0.5 if I attend my 8 hours of gym this challenge.

HEA --> WH stuff 6/week 0.5 HEA.

STR --> if by the end of the challenge I can hang from the bar for 2 minutes and do 8 push-ups in one set with good form, I get 0.5. Handstand work 3/week another 0.5.

STA --> running happens twice a week, 1 STA.
DEX --> music practice 6/weeek + yoga 3/week 0.5. Mobility work 6/week, 0.5.

WIS --> 10 hours of icelandic, 0.5

CHA --> sketching happens 4/week, 0.5.

If by the end of the challenge there is a clear sense of progress, physically, and emotionally/mentally, I get 2 extra points, 0.25 CON 0.25 WIS.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following!

19 hours ago, Waanie said:

Following for the awesomeness :).

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here!

tumblr_m9susk7VXK1r96vi8o2_250.gif

Very welcome!

I thought I'd wait until monday to start the challenge, and take a rest week, but then I thought I don't actually need a rest, because what I'm doing is not tiring :) I have, however, lowered a bit the bar to avoid putting any pressure on me. So I've been doodling, and reading, and taking cold showers, but, you know, nonchalantly...

My bf sent me a link about cross-country running and I was surprised to discover that what I do (or intend to) is not considered cross-country running. Apparently cross-country running is road running on unpaved terrain following a nice track, not the crazy go-in-a-straight-line-no-matter-what sort of running I practice. Apparently it isn't trail running either, since that would involve actual mountains and long distances, and while they still follow trails, it looks quite hardcore. Thinking I should get a name for my style.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zenLara said:

crazy go-in-a-straight-line-no-matter-what

At a walking pace I think that is usually called bushwhacking.  Maybe you could call it bushrunning or accelerated bushwhacking or something

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

At a walking pace I think that is usually called bushwhacking.  Maybe you could call it bushrunning or accelerated bushwhacking or something

I didn't know that was a thing. From what I've googled, I wouldn't go that far to call it bushwhacking, since nature is not that wild here were I currently live, but maybe just off-trail or off-road running? Or, of course, the-only-not-boring-way-to-run-that-exists running.

• Like 1

I was going to wait until tonight to post my table and all, but I just can't wait for so long without talking about handstand practice. I did my 20 minutes yoga and my wrist warm-up and then worked on the first video of Smyth's series, that works on table top, plank, downward dog and wall supported pike handstand. When I arrived to this last move, I confirmed what I had been suspecting these last weeks, and it's that I may not enjoy animal flow that much but it has done a great job strengthening my wrists, arms, and core. This is the first time in my life that I've been upside down and I've trusted my arms' strength, which is, on its own, a huge progress. I can't fully extend my legs in this position yet, it felt like I lacked flexibility in my hamstrings, and there was also a tad of fear about going too far and losing balance, but not as pronounced as it used to be and I felt totally safe while holding the position. So, both physical and mental improvement.

I tried the exercise twice, and then I was flooded with a wave of enthusiasm "again, again!" and worked on it a bit more, without the usual thought of "I'm tired now and I will fall". I was calm, can you believe it? My brain wasn't telling me weird things about the upside down apocalypse!

Then, I moved back to the mat to work on candle and plow pose, and then when I rested in savasana was when I noticed that I was smiling. I smiled through all the breathings I took, and realised I was just... happy.

Happy Hop by de-Mote

• Like 7

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Or, of course, the-only-not-boring-way-to-run-that-exists running.

There's also parkour! :D 

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

I tried the exercise twice, and then I was flooded with a wave of enthusiasm "again, again!" and worked on it a bit more, without the usual thought of "I'm tired now and I will fall". I was calm, can you believe it? My brain wasn't telling me weird things about the upside down apocalypse!

Then, I moved back to the mat to work on candle and plow pose, and then when I rested in savasana was when I noticed that I was smiling. I smiled through all the breathings I took, and realised I was just... happy.

AAAAAHHH I love all of this so much!!! <3

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

of course, the-only-not-boring-way-to-run-that-exists running.

Not necessarily true.  In addition to the parkour Hatter mentioned, running very small mountain trails can be loads of fun, especially when they get eroded a bit and have banked walls at the corners so you pretend to be a race car as you turn.  

Surely I'm not the only one who does this?

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

I was going to wait until tonight to post my table and all, but I just can't wait for so long without talking about handstand practice. I did my 20 minutes yoga and my wrist warm-up and then worked on the first video of Smyth's series, that works on table top, plank, downward dog and wall supported pike handstand. When I arrived to this last move, I confirmed what I had been suspecting these last weeks, and it's that I may not enjoy animal flow that much but it has done a great job strengthening my wrists, arms, and core. This is the first time in my life that I've been upside down and I've trusted my arms' strength, which is, on its own, a huge progress. I can't fully extend my legs in this position yet, it felt like I lacked flexibility in my hamstrings, and there was also a tad of fear about going too far and losing balance, but not as pronounced as it used to be and I felt totally safe while holding the position. So, both physical and mental improvement.

Happy Hop by de-Mote

I loved everything about this update!!!  Yay for progress, and double yay for enjoying the fruits of that progress!  Happy is good! :) 

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Happy Hop by de-Mote

Awesome!!! 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

There's also parkour! :D 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Not necessarily true.  In addition to the parkour Hatter mentioned, running very small mountain trails can be loads of fun

Ooook, will accept parkour and mountain trails as fun... :D 

Surely I'm not the only one who does this?

Don't look at me. I would never do that :barbershop_quartet_

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

AAAAAHHH I love all of this so much!!! <3

I loved everything about this update!!!  Yay for progress, and double yay for enjoying the fruits of that progress!  Happy is good! :) 

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Awesome!!! 

What a great way to start a challenge, right?

Thank you guys!!!!

• Like 1

ACTION

TIME SPENT

FEELINGS AND SENSATIONS

15' + 14º

Relaxing.

The shower felt cold, but after it I felt relaxed and in good spirits, fully awaken and activated too, and after a few minutes I began to notice tingles all over my body, specially over the legs. 

MOBILITY

1' + 3'

Not very much today. I stopped for a couple of days and now I keep forgetting since it is not an established habit.

MEDITATION

40' + 15'

I'm trying yoga nidra as before bed meditation and as a wake up and I'm enjoying it. 

ICELANDIC

5' + 15'

Read a bit and watched one video. Enjoyed more the reading than the watching because the vid was meh.

MUSIC PRACTICE

28'

A poor day regarding time, but worked on what I had to work.

HANGING/PUSHING

dead hang 30"

2 push-ups

Dead hang included 6 scapular raises and to my surprise one of them went a bit farther up.

28' + 10' (handstand work)

I've already said a lot about the handstand part :)  Yoga was nice too, even if not that shiny.

OUTDOORS

RUNNING

SKETCHING

10' 

Superfun. I'm trying to learn to draw animals from a 3d model using schleich toys, and I'm really bad at it but I don't care :D

GYM

Total time: 2h53m. Awesome day!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, zenLara said:

crazy go-in-a-straight-line-no-matter-what sort of running

Running as the crow flies? Crow-running? Crowning? Lol. Sounds fun anyway.

Nice work on the handstands! That's so cool :) 

• Like 1

Following! :) So glad to see you are starting to find a better way to measure your achievements than constantly focusing on the result! This is what you said in the previous thread:

On 5/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, zenLara said:

I had read many times about it, but until now I found it impossible to actually follow that way of work. Even when I thought about daily actions and worked on tiny achievements, there was always the idea in the background that I had to progress, that I had to achieve something, otherwise what was I doing. But this challenge I managed to really forget about all that, and just focused on filling my notebook every day with time spent on myself, on my own benefit. In the end there was progress (from no push-ups to 3-4, from feeling pain when hanging to hang for 1 minute, beginning to actually read in icelandic, and so on), but what makes me feel good about this challenge is that I just showed up every day and did what I had said I'd do, no matter what.

This is actually a pretty healthy and balanced way to live your life. Not focusing on the results also takes off a lot of pressure, I think? It's enough to just do, and the results (whatever they might be) will follow. Have a lovely new challenge, Wolfy!

Kuvahaun tulos haulle tumblr loki gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Owlet said:

Crowning? Lol.

:lol::lol::lol:

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

This is actually a pretty healthy and balanced way to live your life.

I don't know how it will work on the long run. Maybe at some point I'll say: I want to achieve this now! :D But a very positive consequence by now is the disappearance of the "there are so many things to do and I have to do them all" anxiety pattern. Quite a relief, to be honest.

ACTION

TIME SPENT

FEELINGS AND SENSATIONS

18' + 15º + 16º

I was distracted during the breathing exercise, but cold water quickly refocused me. Took a second cold shower after running.

MOBILITY

12' 

Lots of tension went away.

MEDITATION

40' + 15'

Enjoying my time with yoga nidra.

ICELANDIC

7' 

Short on time today, and too tired to focus.

MUSIC PRACTICE

I was going to start my practice when I saw my phone saying something to me: I had a meeting at work which I had completely forgotten about, at the time I had scheduled my practice for today, and worst, I saw the notification 10 minutes before the meeting. Gosh, so stressing. And zero practice.

HANGING/PUSHING

hanging 40"

2 push-ups

Hanging included 10 scapular raises. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Should check with a vid or something.

OUTDOORS

1h

Niiiiice.

RUNNING

8' (1 minute rounds)

I haven't run in a long time and I thought I was headed for disaster. After the first couple of rounds that felt surprisingly easy, I did a third one uphill, and then is when I felt it. Remaining rounds took place in easier conditions. I thought that my legs would be killing me at the end, but they seem ok even now. And my lungs, who usually try to kill me when I run, behaved themselves. I'm not sure I enjoyed the running itself, but being in the country is always nice.

SKETCHING

8'

A bit more frustrating today, but nothing to worry about.

GYM

Total time: 3h05m. A pity I couldn't play even half a note today.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

I thought that my legs would be killing me at the end, but they seem ok even now. And my lungs, who usually try to kill me when I run, behaved themselves.

Always nice when you get a surprisingly cooperative body after you have been away from an activity for a while

• Like 1

That's great about the running :). It's nice to see that all your other activity kept you in shape so that going into running is not a problem :).

Your hanging times and push-ups are also steadily increasing, keep up the good work!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Always nice when you get a surprisingly cooperative body after you have been away from an activity for a while

Not my usual experience, so I appreciate it even more :)

6 hours ago, Waanie said:

Your hanging times and push-ups are also steadily increasing, keep up the good work!

Let's hope they keep that way. I have a long run to get back to my old numbers.

ACTION

TIME SPENT

FEELINGS AND SENSATIONS

15' + 16º

Not as relaxing as other days. Water was very cold, but I felt really well afterwards.

MOBILITY

4'

Not that much, but today was gym day, so there is a whole hour too.

MEDITATION

30'

Soothing.

ICELANDIC

16' 

Reading. This chapter is a bit more difficult.

MUSIC PRACTICE

20'

Time for a short warm-up and that's all. It's not being a good week. I need to get a more solid practice schedule.

HANGING/PUSHING

In between classes at the gym I hopped again to the bar and practiced moving from side to side. It felt a tad easier.

OUTDOORS

RUNNING

SKETCHING

GYM

2h

Today the trainer said we weren't allowed to rest unless he gave us permission. If he saw even one knee down, we all would have to do a 1 minute plank. We ended up doing 3 of them, and one was my fault, oups.

Animal flow wasn't as intense as last week, but it was tough for me anyway.

Total time: 3h25m. A loooong loooong day after a loooong looooong week. 

One of the things I like about going to this gym is how tired I feel after dinner: I've always felt grateful for the existence of beds and covers, but on friday nights this thankfulness reaches the top :D

• Like 2

ACTION

TIME SPENT

FEELINGS AND SENSATIONS

15' + 17º

Impatient day. Hated the shower, but oh, how great I feel afterwards...

MOBILITY

6'

Not much, but great tension relief.

MEDITATION

20' + 30'

Today not as relaxing as I expected it to be.

ICELANDIC

11'

Finished the first reading of this chapter (I'm reading every chapter twice; once comparing it with the english version and the second on its own).

MUSIC PRACTICE

30'

Baaad Lara. But I'm so tired today. Gym ate up all of my energy. While this is the first time since I began those classes that I'm not awfully sore, I have no energy whatsoever.

HANGING/PUSHING

OUTDOORS

RUNNING

SKETCHING

GYM

Total time: 1h52.

Kept myself somewhat active in the morning (meditation, practice, groceries shopping...) but in the afternoon I felt I lacked energy to do anything. Spent most of it reading :/

• Like 2

Pike handstand problem is solved! It wasn't my legs, it was my arms. They were too close to the wall. I seem to have find the right spot to place them and now I can hold a pike handstand for a few seconds. Very few, but this is the first time in my life I've achieved that pose!! SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!

Imagen relacionada

• Like 2

It seems that it's not enough that I'm going from disappointment to disappointment with my reading choices. Today it got worse, when my reader decided not to switch on anymore :( Now I can't read any of those other disappointments in my waiting list. 

• Sad 2