• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jonfirestar

JonFirestar, Battered, Bruised but not Broken

Okay, a big part of the reason I've not been around for a couple of challenges is because it's been filling me with quite a bit of stress and anxiety to explain everything that is going on with me right now. Things have progressed to a point that is no longer the case but quite a lot has happened so I'm going to just dump it all out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions! 

Physical

Ups and downs happening in the physical department. I've gotten really frickin strong! My bench press has gone over 200lbs (92kg) and my deadlift PR currently sits at 190kg (approx 419lbs). Kind of really happy. 

On the other hand my running has suffered quite a bit because of what this challenge is going to focus on: injury. 

I'm currently injured. 

I've been feeling a pain in my left calf. Pretty low level whilst running but when I stop running it really really hurts. So I've been taking a lot of rest recently in order to try and get rid of that happening for the two big races of the spring season (which happened over the last 2 weeks). 

In  a quirk of fate during RRDW, a race that was an easy 13 mile ocr that I was running with @iatetheyeti, @Rhovaniel, @Charlie_Quinn and @Jarric. I was taking it very easy and just enjoying myself. I took a bad step while going up a mound and felt the calf in my right leg (the one that hadn't been hurting) snap. I went down got back up and found that I could no longer walk without excruciating pain. Sincerely not the kind of pain that I could have carried on with. So that was my first DNF. My sincerest thanks to Yeti, Rho and CQ for getting help and getting me out safely :), Yeti and Rho for coddling me in camp that night (and going to get me waffles!) and  to @Jarric for the lift home. 

Despite this and being unable to walk for 2 days it healed miraculously fast and I ended up running a race a week later. I didn't think I would be running that race at all and I was able to do it relatively pain free. Nonetheless I also managed to sprain my ankle in the last few miles and there is that going on as well.

So no running this challenge at all. I will probably start using the bike at the gym at some point. 

Goal 1: Do rehab exercises every day. 

Mental

To anyone following my challenges recently it'll come as no surprise for me to say that my mental health went downhill very fast. I hit rock bottom about 2 weeks ago and was forced by a concerned Ranger to go and see my doctor. So I was signed off of work for a little while and given medication. The anxiety medication has had the side effect of fixing my sleep issues. I'm feeling better than I was now. Far from good but better. 

Goal 2: Talk. Update here every day even if I don't have much to say. 

Nutrition

This has taken a nosedive as well. Right now I don't have much energy to expend to this topic so I'll  keep it simple:

Goal 3: Eat one  healthy meal a day.

• Like 10

Cant tell you how happy i am to see you here Jon!!!! Ive been following your progress on fb, you seem happy and well. I hope so. Sending you a huge cuddle x

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Whoop! Zombie preparedness on deck!

You can never be too ready for the Zombie Apocalypse! (one day I'll ask @Tanktimus the Encourager to fix the spelling mistake in my title :P )

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Here for the mud.

I think I'll have some fun muddy pictures to share! However this challenge will be pretty devoid of fresh mud :( 

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Image result for thumbs up zombie

Excited for the muddy shenanigans.

Always good to see you Kestrel! Unfortunately more recovery than muddy fun to be happening this time round. 

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Cant tell you how happy i am to see you here Jon!!!! Ive been following your progress on fb, you seem happy and well. I hope so. Sending you a huge cuddle x

Hey Lizz, good to see you! Unfortunately (despite the smiles in the pictures I've posted) I'd currently describe myself and neither happy or well. But things are improving. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Hey Lizz, good to see you! Unfortunately (despite the smiles in the pictures I've posted) I'd currently describe myself and neither happy or well. But things are improving. 

I understand, thats the problem with social media isnt it, we all think each other is happy when they are probably struggling just the same as us. 

Always here if you need a chat, no matter the time or day xx

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I understand, thats the problem with social media isnt it, we all think each other is happy when they are probably struggling just the same as us. 

Indeed it is. We only post pictures of ourselves that we like ourselves. We look good, we are smiling and it can create a false perception of happiness. 

35 minutes ago, Stribs said:

I'm here for the recovery phase!

Good to have you! 

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken your title was set before I had title-changing powers. To be fair, however, I never noticed the error. I hope you are a discworld fan ;)

I'm glad you have good rangers around you who forced you to go to the doctor, and that your sleep issues are better.

I'll be here for the healing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If I'm not mistaken your title was set before I had title-changing powers. To be fair, however, I never noticed the error. I hope you are a discworld fan ;)

I love you Tank! That is obviously what it should have been all along! :panda: I've missed being around. Forgive me I never meant to imply that you were responsible for the mistake only that that you currently have the power to fix it! Honestly I only noticed myself a couple of months ago but since I did notice I've been unable to unsee it! 

uWjfRU7.jpg

27 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you have good rangers around you who forced you to go to the doctor, and that your sleep issues are better.

You'd have been very proud of @Rhovaniel. She literally fixed me with a glare until I made the phonecall. It is good to have friends who can help each over with their mental issues. 

25 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Great to see you back!  

It is great to be back! :) 

• Like 5

john good to see you again!

I'll follow right along.

well, If I can get around all these *(&1*(*!!

obstacles

;)

• Like 1

Jon! I'm glad to see you back, I was wondering how you were doing. That sucks about the DNF but luckily it healed fast. I'm also glad you're getting help for your mental health. 

I'm mostly taking this challenge off while I seek help for my own issues (yay anxiety) but I'll be quietly lurking around and reading

• Like 1

Hey brother! While injuries can lead to setbacks, they don't define us, unless we let them. Hell, I injured my shoulder at the beginning of 2016 and still haven't "recovered" from it. 98% is mentally recovering and thinking I'm some kind of handicap/gimp, but that is far from the truth. Just take your time healing and recovering and we'll all be here to support you along the way. Love ya dude!

Wolf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

john good to see you again!

I'll follow right along.

well, If I can get around all these *(&1*(*!!

obstacles

;)

It is good to see you too TGP, am I still in time to see you try the A100 or did I miss it? 

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

I'm mostly taking this challenge off while I seek help for my own issues (yay anxiety) but I'll be quietly lurking around and reading

That is exactly what I was doing last challenge. I hope you'll stay around a little more than I did ;)

49 minutes ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Hey brother! While injuries can lead to setbacks, they don't define us, unless we let them. Hell, I injured my shoulder at the beginning of 2016 and still haven't "recovered" from it. 98% is mentally recovering and thinking I'm some kind of handicap/gimp, but that is far from the truth. Just take your time healing and recovering and we'll all be here to support you along the way. Love ya dude!

Wolf

Thanks dude, the injury did suck. It especially sucked because it came a week before my big race for the spring. I didn't do nearly as well at the race as I know I could have done because of it. It is sometimes difficult to accept an injury but I have time now to let myself heal. 

37 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Is your left calf getting better? I'm glad your right one healed so quickly.

I think the left one is now good. It's hard to tell since it only hurt when I ran fast for extended periods of time (15-20k) which I haven't really done since the W.A.R race in April (4 weeks ago). 

Nonetheless I completed 6.5 hours of an OCR on Sunday and my left calf didn't hurt at all and I think that was a pretty good test. 

• Like 5

nope

THIS is the challenge when it happens.

June 7-9

feel free to check me out, I'm on the board with a challenge this cycle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That is exactly what I was doing last challenge. I hope you'll stay around a little more than I did ;)

I'm gonna try to do a better job than I did in the last challenge where I completely ghosted most of it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maigs said:

I'm gonna try to do a better job than I did in the last challenge where I completely ghosted most of it

Ahh in that case you are probably unaware that I did exactly the same thing :D 

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

nope

THIS is the challenge when it happens.

June 7-9

feel free to check me out, I'm on the board with a challenge this cycle.

Yay! I'm excited to see you try this again! I'll definitely check out your challenge! 

I'm glad you like the change. I did not take offense at your request, nor at the way you worded it.

I am very proud of Rhovaniel. I already was, this just upped the level. I really want to see that glare (preferably when directed at someone else. You, for example).

• Like 2

Welcome back Jon!  It's good to see you again. Great job on the lifts!

Happy Challenge!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I really want to see that glare (preferably when directed at someone else. You, for example).

I'm pretty sure that she just likes to see me squirm. It is aimed at me often! I am trying to get a good picture of it :lol: 

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you like the change. I did not take offense at your request, nor at the way you worded it.

One of the interesting side effects of some of the medication I am on is that it removed my content filter and I'm still in the process of getting used to that. Anxiety has been a mainstay of my life forever and I had no idea how much I actually relied on it until it was taken away. 

12 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Welcome back Jon!  It's good to see you again. Great job on the lifts!

Happy Challenge!

Thanks Cheetah, it's good to be back! 

• Haha 1