• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Moros

Moros focuses on food and evenings

Hi Everyone,

giphy.gif

I don't have funny theme this challenge.  What I need to focus on the moment is difficult:

1. Keep working on food.  Ms. Moros suggested that I work with her health coach for food stuff, and I agree.  I need to get some help in this area, because what I am doing is not working that well.
  2. Focus on the evenings - this is where I lose focus for a number of reasons - I'm tired, some of my medicine is wearing off, and so on.  If I do the few small things in the evening, I set myself up for success in the mornings, and Ms. Moros wants to do the Roll Model rehab work with me.  Roll Model is basically foam rolling with special balls - see https://www.therollmodel.com/

It seems like the Roll Model stuff is really helping Ms. Moros and myself, but we will see how it works out.  It does have the advantage that you don't need to carry a big foam roller while you are traveling.

Details are below the fold:

Spoiler

Challenge 41.txt - Moros focuses on food and evenings

Dates: 2019.05.27 to 2019.06.23
Zero Week is: 2019.05.20 to 2019.05.26

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Goals for this challenge:

1. Sleep and Morning Exercises (Red)
    A. Meditation with Calm                           - 1 pt  each time =  7 pts
    B. Mon, Wed, Fri - Legionary Workouts             - 5 pts each time = 15 pts
    C. Tue, Thu      - Ranger Workouts                - 5 pts each time = 10 pts
    Total: 32 pts

2. Lunchtime quests (Yellow)
    A. Give support to at least three NF people in    - 2 pts each time = 14 pts
       the forums each day
    Total: 14 pts

3. Evening Health Routines (Green)
    A. Sun - Thu - Evening Preparation,               - 4 pts each time = 20 pts
       including NF posts
    B. Sun - Thu - Do Roll Model rehab work and       - 4 pts each time = 20 pts
       work on evening habits (5 min editing)
    Total: 40 pts

4. Weekend Health Routines (Blue)
    A. Go to Yoga class, or do yoga at home with      - 5 pts each time =  5 pts
       Ms. Moros        
    Total: 5 pts

Total Exercise Points: 91

5. Food - the 80% of the battle (Orange)
    F1. Record Food Daily Using Notebook             -  3 pts each time = 63 pts
    F2. Drink water bottle daily                     -  2 pts each time = 14 pts
    F3. Omega 3 seafood - 5oz - 2x a week            -  5 pts each time = 10 pts
    F4. Jessica Reading and take notes               -  5 pts each time =  5 pts
    F5. Jessica Health Quests                        -  5 pts each time =  5 pts
    F6. Better Brain book 15 min and take notes      -  5 pts each time =  5 pts
    F7. Do one Better Brain quest a week             -  5 pts each time =  5 pts

Total Food Points: 107

Total Points: 198 points a week

2019 Fitness Goals - Last Updated 2019.03.26

1. Complete the Nerd Fitness Academy quests by December 31st, 2019.
2. Be able to do 50 bodyweight pushups by October 29th, 2019.

Intentions that need to be converted into goals:

1. I am the type of person who eats healthy every day.
2. I eat celebration meals without guilt or shame.
3. Use "The Better Brain Solution" by Steven Masley as well as NF food
   recommendations to improve my diet

Use Strategy Goals, wherever possible, from SuperBetter:

"...Instead of focusing on a specific outcome (as with a difficult goal)
or a general effort level (as with a do-your-best goal), you put your
attention on learning and improving concrete skills and strategies that
will help you do better in the future...

"...When you adopt a strategy goal, you can be successful regardless of whether
you win the race or even finish it; and regardless of whether you’re 100 percent
debt-free in a year or just well on your way. You’re successful as long as
you’re learning and improving..."
Things to remember:

1. Use the zero week to debug and think about the challenge.

About (redacted):

Like a lot of NF people, I struggle with stuff besides physical fitness.  
I generally don't bring it up in this forum for a couple of reasons:

1. Because of my and Ms. Moros's jobs, I have to be careful to not be too
    specific.

2. I am very fortunate that I have a pretty good support system for stuff
    like ADHD, anxiety, depression, friends and romantic partners going
    through trauma work, family illness and trauma.  I know a lot of people
    at NF who aren't so fortunate, so I want to make it clear that I'm not
    judging anyone else's choice to share.  For me, NF is about getting
    physically healthier and getting more awesome (Rangerly) overall.  
    So, I try to keep the focus here on my physical stuff, not my emotional stuff.
    I have a tendency to over-share and I would rather be helpful to others
    here than complain about my own stuff.

Rewards for completing the challenge:

- Get some high quality hiking books - 80% or more.
- Get a nice visual book about bento

Possible Challenges and Adaption Strategies:

1. Make-up times - Sunday is reserved as a rest day, or as a make-up
   time for things not yet done.  Evenings can be make-up times also.

2. Plague Protocols - if really sick, sleep deprived, double points
   for whatever I get done.
   Do easiest to hardest - stop when I can't do more.
   Currently that is:

A. Calm meditation
       B. Record Daily Food
       C. Prepare for the next day
    D. Yoga (restorative or Yin) rather than active Yoga
    E. Walking
    F. Bodyweight workouts

Do other things to replace points:
    G. Reading about better form for exercises

3. Workout substitutions - when I can't do normal workouts for whatever
   reason

- Can swim laps, or use bike, or walk at YMCA

4. Redacted Protocols

Which leads me to the next awesome thing - I get to game a lot during this challenge!

49364_php2bZzvX.png

This happens in the middle of the challenge, so posting will be pretty sparse.  Last time I went, I had a lot of fun, but was very stiff and sore afterwards.  I'd like that to be different this time.

So, let's get to it!

e25.png

Edited by Moros
Forgot to put in the details!
  • Like 2

Zero Week - Days 1-2

So, Monday was pretty good, Tuesday was lame during the day, but I recovered.  Ms. Moros and I went to a yoga class that taught the Roll model ball method.  So that helped - we've been working from the book alone.  The book is pretty good, with a lot of images, but more is helpful. 

Food Points: 27

Exercise Points: 18

• Like 2

I've heard Jill Miller on some podcasts. She sounds super knowledgeable and helpful. Excited to hear how this goes for you. It would be so amazing if you could finally get rid of the plantar fasciitis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Following for the special balls!

The number of ball jokes in her book is roughly equal to the number of NF forum posters.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I've heard Jill Miller on some podcasts. She sounds super knowledgeable and helpful. Excited to hear how this goes for you. It would be so amazing if you could finally get rid of the plantar fasciitis.

That would be most excellent.  Even the breathing stuff with the largest ball seems to have made a difference thus far.

• Like 1

Zero Week and Days 1-2

So Zero week was not great - I had a bit of a temper tantrum with logging my food.  It's very apparent to me that there is a 12-year old boy running a lot of my food thinking.  Sigh.  Well, that's one of the reasons I am getting help.

Memorial Day was quiet for me and Ms. Moros.  Mostly doing stuff around the house, and doing some food prep.  The food prep felt good, since it's been a while since we were this organized.  Tuesday, I missed my morning walk, but was able to make it up later on in the day.

Tuesday night, we went to a Roll Model class, which is really good, since we are still pretty clueless about the subtle details of the Roll Model moves:

b7e.jpg

We learned a lot more, including how you can use the ball + wall to make the pressure more or less:

D6fPz4hW4AMl-zg.jpg

Note - this is Jill Miller (inventor of the Roll Model).  Ms. Moros is much hotter than this :)

Food Points: 11/107

Exercise Points: 12/89

• Like 4

On 5/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, Moros said:

So Zero week was not great - I had a bit of a temper tantrum with logging my food.  It's very apparent to me that there is a 12-year old boy running a lot of my food thinking. 

Yep. Doing that is so much harder than it should be! 

How did it go the rest of the week? For me, it's finding that balance with my inner 12 year old. Yes, sometimes you just have to be an adult, but I do try and listen to the 12 year old. Sometimes the reasons teens rebel is that you are being too strict, or not giving them enough reasons behind the rules. Same with my inner teen. When I start to feel rebellious, I check and say if I'm really demanding too much, and where I might be able to loosen some things up. For food logging, I remind myself that one reason I like it, is that then I know when I have room for more treat food. 

• Like 1

Quick Update - Much Rain, Much Gaming, New omi-phone

So, my area had some major rains, and some minor floods.  We ourselves were very fortunate, but other friends have had their basements flood to the depth of several inches.  So, I've been doing my challenge, but there is a lot of driving around.

We also celebrated Tabletop Gaming day with an event for our friends, and the next day we played Sentinels of the Multiverse - Oblivaeon: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192926/sentinels-multiverse-oblivaeon

The game is a wee bit complex:

pic4309388.jpg

We won in the end, but it was an epic six hour battle, and so we finished around 11pm on Sunday.  So, Monday, Ms. Moros and I were exhausted.

I also finally upgraded my phone (I had an iPhone 5s), to a free iphoneXr.  I had to change my phone number, so I spend a decent amount of time changing things on many websites, and texting all of my friends, so that they new I was not a Cylon or a telemarketer.

I'll catch up on my points reporting later today.

• Like 1

I love Sentinels of the Mulitverse! Though the truth is , it is my son's game, and half the time he has to tell me what to do because I m confused:friendly_wink: But I love the concept, and pretending like I'm a superhero fighting villains with way cool weapons and superpowers. The last time we played, I was sure we were going to lose. My husband's character died right away, and it was just my son and I left. My were down to super low hit points. But somehow, we kept hanging on. My son kept working it (and helping me) and  eventually we got  enough cards we were able to defeat the villain. My son and his friends play it often, he has  huge box, and I think most (if not all) of the expansions

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love Sentinels of the Mulitverse! Though the truth is , it is my son's game, and half the time he has to tell me what to do because I m confused:friendly_wink: But I love the concept, and pretending like I'm a superhero fighting villains with way cool weapons and superpowers. The last time we played, I was sure we were going to lose. My husband's character died right away, and it was just my son and I left. My were down to super low hit points. But somehow, we kept hanging on. My son kept working it (and helping me) and  eventually we got  enough cards we were able to defeat the villain. My son and his friends play it often, he has  huge box, and I think most (if not all) of the expansions

One of the fun things about Sentinels is that every hero works differently.  One of the confusing things is that every hero works differently :)  I have found that I have to really play one hero at least 2-3 times before I "get" them. 

• Like 1

Days 3 - 9.  Blech

So, although I had a lot of fun over the weekend gaming, my NF exercise/food game was not great.  There was a lot of (redacted) stuff involving family that I don't want to go into here.  It kind of disrupted me in general, and I did not get a lot of sleep.  On Tuesday, I woke up at 3am, and could not get back to sleep.  As I already mentioned, I did some rebelling against logging my food, which I think is a symptom of my 12-year old boy having a temper tantrum.  I need to keep reflecting on that - I think Elastigirl is right - I have stated rules and "unstated rules"  The unstated rules lead to a lot of resentment, and they sabotage the "stated rules."

I am a ranger.  Only a dead legionary gives up.  But, I need to gain some insight and wisdom about how to do better.  Just beating my head against the wall will not work.

Exercise points: 60/178

Food points: 37/214

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moros said:

I have stated rules and "unstated rules"  The unstated rules lead to a lot of resentment, and they sabotage the "stated rules."

I do that too. When I start feeling rebellious, that's I sign that I need to scale back on the unstated rules. As a matter of fact, usually breaking those rules satisfies the 12 year old, but then I can keep to the most important rules in reality.

For Sentinels, I need to write down my character I play so I can do the same one several times. My son has so many expansions, and  we don't play it very often, so I forget who I played last time.